“Fantastic resort”

Hotel Roc Arenas Doradas
Ranked #20 of 64 Hotels in Varadero
Reviewed 6 May 2014

We recently returned from our stay and will return (April 26 - May 5). Food was good, clean rooms and resort, great beach and friendly staff.

We stayed on the 600 block which is closest to the beach and pool. Our room was bigger than expected and the air conditioning was brilliant. A decent view from the balcony - perfect for drinks and a cigar. Our chambermaid was a lovely women who obviously took pride in her work.

The food was great. Personally, I am not a picky eater but my wife tends to have some limitations with certain food. She was as content as I with every meal we had. Dolce Vita, El Galeón and Natura were fantastic. As were the staff in all three restaurants! Super friendly, accommodating and quick witted. Buffets tend to be boring wherever you are in the world but we had zero complaints. Always fresh fruit and juices, tasty themed dishes and generic foods foods to keeps everyone happy. Once again we have to mention the staff - Adalys and Rafael - after meeting them the first night we had to make sure we sat in their section...kind, warm, caring people who always had a smile and positive attitude.

The beach was spacious with plenty of beds, cabanas and waterfront. No pushy, pestering people walking the beaches or trying to sell hotel excursions.

There is only one pool but had wasn't an issue during our stay as we were on the tail end of the peak season. We heard the exact same playlist everyday at the pool but who really cares when you're on vacation in the sun with family and friends...plus we all have some type of media player that we can utilize if absolutely necessary. Milady and Daniel are wonderful. They were efficient and fast during the rush times, they were always joking, happy, kind and personable - no attitudes at all, even with the louder "happier" clientele, they were easy to talk to and great to bounce excursion ideas off of....just good people.

I feel the need to criticize something seeing this is a critique....the only, pathetic complaint is the towel lady. We seemed to be a bother whenever exchanging a towel. This is really the only, albeit silly and infantile, complaint we had for our entire stay.

Room Tip: We were in unit 6, rooms 621-623-624, no problems at all. A/C was fantastic, a decent view from the...
  • Stayed: May 2014, travelled with family
Hotel_Arenas_Doradas, General Manager at Hotel Roc Arenas Doradas, responded to this reviewResponded 19 May 2014

Dear Guest, first of all I thank you for your comments that make us improve every día.personalmente and on behalf of all my staff your kind words.

It is a pleasure to know you have enjoyed your holiday with us.

I confirm that we changed the towels lady to improve this service.

On behalf of Roc Hotels and I personally thank you for choosing us for your vacation.

Thanks for your comments make us improve every day in search of excellence.

Greetings from Cuba.

Agustin Sainz Parrado

Write a ReviewReviews (3,123)

Reviewed 3 May 2014 via mobile

Stayed in april14 to 28. Yolly from customer service made us very happy,she was always there helping us enjoy our vacation.she shout become a manager and get a monetary raise. Maria and Jesus from buffet were always attentive and smiling, Milady and Daniel at pool bar were quite entertaining, housekeeping was also very good for room 710. Food was surprisingly good. A+ hotel, very clean and accommodating would certainly recommend we were treated very well...again thank you yoly and everyone for making our stay memorable.

• Stayed: April 2014
2  Thank robert w
Hotel_Arenas_Doradas, Director General at Hotel Roc Arenas Doradas, responded to this reviewResponded 4 August 2014

Dear Guest, first of all I thank you for your kind words.

It is a pleasure to know you have enjoyed your holiday with us.

On behalf of Roc Hotels and on my own behalf, I appreciate that you have chosen us for your vacation.

Hope to see you soon with us and can enjoy the improvements we are making in search of excellence.

Greetings from Cuba

Reviewed 30 April 2014

We travelled here for the 3rd time to celebrate our wedding. We were extremely happy in the past for the value of the trip and the overall experience that we were excited to return. As a repeat gust there are certainly a few changes that were noticeable.

Eden Village, as others have mentioned, caters to Italian guests. This is a company that has a contract with the resort to run Italian-entertainment and animators for the Italian guests. I personally was not imposed upon by this group, but they certainly have preferential treatment.

Food--get over it people. You are in Cuba where they have less variety than we are accustomed to in North America. Consider what you pay for a meal here and look at what you paid for the entire trip. No one goes hungry. Breakfast has plenty of egg/omelette options, breads and fruit. If the mystery pan scares you, you still won't go hungry. I wouldn't typically eat out of those pans in a Canadian buffet either. Beach BBQ was good. In the past the selection was better and the first time we were here the tables were outdoors which was so nice. I wish that were still an option.

Beverages--never had an empty glass. Lots of wine to be had too, which in the past had been harder to find consistently. Coffee bar is amazing and I love the Cuban coffee.

Pool--amazing and great bar. They need a new speaker system. Blares annoying American music and really isn't necessary.
Ocean/Beach--fabulous. They have added more shade-huts and this is a nice change. Never had to sit without shade if needed.

Rooms--clean. Always kept neat and orderly. Not the newest linens or pillows, but if you are spending all day in your room then you shouldn't have come to Cuba anyways.

Overall, it's the sun, ocean and sand that we go to Cuba for. This trip was special because our family and friends were able to share the trip with us. Great value for an affordable escape from reality. If you are looking for luxury or to be treated like a movie star, this is not the resort for you. If you are looking for a great time, beautiful beaches and water and a totally laid back atmosphere, I would recommend Arenas Doradas. We will be back.

Room Tip: Away from the Disco is quieter. The 1100s are closer to the main building and buffet. 1100s are suit...
  • Stayed: April 2014, travelled with family
3  Thank Emily_SunSeeker

Dear Guest, first of all I thank you for your kind words.

It is a pleasure to know you have enjoyed your holiday with us.

We have taken note of all your comments to improve in all of them seeking excellence in each of our services.

Greetings from Cuba

Reviewed 28 April 2014

Having travelled to various areas in Cuba with this being my 25th trip, my expectations are very realistic and I rarely have complaints as I know what to expect. This resort however was not worth the $850 including taxes per person we paid, have stayed at far better resorts for less money many times.

Reception: Check in was fine as only the 4 of us got off the bus here, the next am I waited 15 mins while 3 staff talked amongst themselves & completely ingnored me, change your money elsewhere as they charge 6% more than bank, tried to make me leave my passport to keep beach towel later on last day, some had agreed to that & they were just sitting in a pile behind the desk.

Room: In building 10 near the pool, very musty smelling, air was shut off on arrival, fridge barely cool & nothing in it as you only get a bottle of water, all 3 locks on patio door broken & located in isolated area facing rear of next resort, phone didn't work, 20 year old tv (I don't usually even turn tv on anyhow), they charge $20 CUC for the safe.

Grounds: Smaller resort so easy to get around, mosquitos are the worst I've encountered, beach is excellent as is the case at all Varadero resorts.

Food/Drink: Not the worst I've had in Cuba, grill at the beach Ok for lunch but hot food not hot & cold food not cold, large sections of tables are saved for the Italians & it becomes their private restaurant at night. Snack bar at pool only had 3 menu choices.long wait, so only ate there once. Buffet needs to be updated, birds in food, hot food not hot, cold barely cool, servers were all excellent, a/c isn't great so sit near the entrance. Coffee bar was great, girls working there are awesome, they don't have enough cups so are quickly rinsed in sink, should have 2 staff in there during busy times. Didn't drink much this week, one good mojito all week, low quality rum served, most drinks made with the slush machine mix, didn't sit long in the lobby at night due to mosquitos. The Italian restaurant was excellent, Cuban not so good.

Staff: Appear to not be so happy as at other resorts, likely due to the large amt of Italian guests which I never saw leave a tip all week, yet they have to cater to them & treat them extra special. Only saw 3 activation staff for the Non-Italians, they had their own staff of 6 who seem to run the resort, speaking only in Italian, not even acknowledging the other guests. Towel girl was miserable, ignores you, asks what you want when you are standing there holding wet towel at a towel exchange, sign says open til 5pm, always closed earlier. Massage girl on beach is good, 15 CUC for 30 mins.

Overall the worst thing at this resort is the lease agreement they have with the Italian Eden Village. They have the best 2 buildings & preferential treatment. Their own roped off area on the beach should not be allowed as they also take over the shaded areas & chairs on the side intended for everyone else while chairs in their area sit empty, they dominate the resort. Avoid the resort store, prices fluctuate daily and no price tags, staff was rude, ignore you while on lengthy personal calls. Washrooms in all public areas are actually the cleanest I've encountered, perhaps a benefit of the Italian presence. Stay here only if you can get it for under $700 including taxes.

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled with friends
3  Thank cuba2nurse
Reviewed 27 April 2014

If you aren't Italian and coming with the Eden Village group prepare to be ignored. There are still highlights in the staff but if your bracelet is yellow you're second class. The GOOD - beach/ocean was awesome, coffee bar delicious, staff once they realize you aren't a cheapskate and will tip, availability of shade at pool and beach, Italian a la carte (staff/food awesome). The BAD - the Italy vs all others thing, store with unlabeled prices that change at staff's whim (alcohol/tobacco/honey/etc) broken down rooms, the buffet food, paying for your safe, pool bar closes at 6pm but sunny until 8:30pm. Been to Cuba 5 times but first at Varadero, I'll be back but never to a Roc resort or one involving Eden Village ever again.

Room Tip: Rooms at other resorts are a better choice.
  • Stayed: April 2014, travelled with family
1  Thank Wloo S
Reviewed 27 April 2014

This is our 8th trip to Cuba, so we pretty much knew what to expect....till this place. Roc is sub par by Cuban standards. The absolute worst is the separation of the Nationalities. Italian guests receive orange wrist bands, all others yellow. If you have a yellow band, you are SECOND CLASS. The staff for the Italian guests will not even make eye contact with you. Italians even have a separate area on the beach! 90% of activities are led by the Italian staff in the Italian language only! Our room (106) had no dial for the air, barely tolerable room temperature. No remote for the dinky TV. Very corroded and pitted bathroom fixtures. You have to wiggle the toilet handle every time you flush or the toilet won't refill. The lighting is so bad you have remove both light shades and sit right beside them to read after dark. If you ask about a better room you are pointed to the notice on the reception desk that for $20 per day per person you can get a suite.($320 more in our case). The food in the buffet was horrendous. Birds are always in and around the buffet. Many times when you went to the dessert bar a bird would fly out of a basket of rolls. I realize how negative this review is but that was one terrible resort. I know Cuba is not Canada and not the same standards. DO not waste your money unless you are Italian. In that case enjoy as you will be treated much better of than all other people there.

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled as a couple
8  Thank Julie A
Reviewed 27 April 2014

We got a very cheap deal to come here and we knew it was around a 3 star hotel in Cuba so I didn't get my hopes up - glad I didn't. I believe this hotel is worth what we paid but definitely nothing more.

The biggest let down was the food - I know this is a complaint by most about Cuba but the food wasn't very tasty, buffet had the same each night just with a different theme name. I ate mainly rice and pasta dishes. The biggest let down was snacks/food available near the pool - only hamburgers, fries, hot dogs or pizza (some days).

Bedding was very old and rough, room was tidy enough but not cleaned to the standard I'd have liked. The airconditioning didn't work in our room but we didn't find it too hot when we were there so we didn't change rooms.

Nice pool and swim up bar but music blares all day long - activity staff play games around the pool with adults and children in the afternoon but not a great place to sit and read near the pool which was a shame. The beach was gorgeous with a bar close by but no beach service. It's about a 10 min drive to town (Varadero) free bus shuttle from hotel a few times a day or a $5-10 cab ride.

If food doesn't bother you and you don't mind loud music in the pool and you want a cheap escape to the sun, you'd enjoy this holiday. If I returned to Cuba I'd definitely go 5 star.

Room Tip: There's also a loud disco until after 12am each night so I'd recommend block 8 or 7 to get a...
  • Stayed: April 2014, travelled with friends
1  Thank banany36
Hotel_Arenas_Doradas, General Manager at Hotel Roc Arenas Doradas, responded to this reviewResponded 28 April 2014

Dear Guest, first of all want to thank you personally and on behalf of all my staff for their kind words.

We have taken note of all your impressions to improve our service.
In the kitchen we review the Menu been adjusted depending on the tastes of our customers.
The Pool Snack provides services only definine snack as its name and offers burgers, hot dogs, pizza and snacks.

For us, customers and your comments are priority since our goal is to have a wonderful holiday.

Thanks for your comments make us improve every day in search of excellence.

Greetings from Cuba.