“I can't wait to go back!”

Hotel Roc Arenas Doradas
Ranked #18 of 63 Hotels in Varadero
Halifax, NS
“I can't wait to go back!”
Reviewed 24 March 2009

This was my first trip to the south and it definitely won't be my last! In fact, the first thing I did when I arrived home was try to book my vacation for next year! This is a pretty quiet resort, but there was never a time when we were bored. The entertainment staff were great and my friends and I went to a nightclub in downtown Varadero with some of them. We had a blast. The resort itself was clean and well laid out, the staff were all really friendly (with the exception of a few of the front desk staff), and the beach was incrredible. The food was not exactly my preference, but I know I'm picky when it comes to food, and my friends had no problem with it...except for El Galeon, the seafood restaurant. We left that place and headed straight for the buffet. All in all it was an amazing trip and we ended up making some great friends while we were there, with both travellers and locals! I can't wait to see them all again.

• Stayed March 2009, travelled with friends
1 Thank Camero

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (542)
  • Czech first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
  • Slovak first
Oshawa, Ont
Reviewed 23 March 2009

We were there March break and had a very good time! The hotel was much better than expected. We emailed a couple days ahead to upgrade to a suite (family of 4)which was nicer and a lot bigger than the average room. We stayed in the 1100's building, close to main building/buffet, a good location. Our room was on the 2nd level, which I think are better if available.
Close to lobby bar to get coffee in morning. Bring your own thermal mugs for coffee/drinks at beach/pool, a lot less running back and forth for drinks.

Food was OK and better than expected. Breakfast buffet was good with fresh cinnamon rolls and croissants, we had omelettes every morning with green pepper/onions/cheese.
Lunch at pool grill was best, with hamburgers/fries. Did not care for the lunch buffets.
Out of the 4 a la carte rest. the best was Natura. We were able to get reservations twice there and it was very nice and is air conditioned(the only one) The beef fillet with mushrooms and chicken with shrimp were really good and so was the cake and ice cream for dessert . Leonardo was very friendly and went out of his way to make sure you enjoyed it. We had no problem getting reservations at 11:00am in lobby for that evening and next at any of the a la carte rest. I would not bother with the Italian or seafood one. We ended up going to the dinner buffet after to eat, the pasta station(put what you like in it) was good. Always a large choice of cakes/fruit for dessert and the ice cream is delicious. But I think the earlier you go to the buffets the better choice you will have.

The beach and ocean are awesome!!! We walked down the beach to other end and I have to say our resort was on the nicest part of the beach, the water is so clear and no seaweed at all. Try the watersports, kayaks, paddleboats and catamaran a lot of fun.

Go on the free bus(4x) to town for shopping at the markets. Brought back alot of nice hand made necklaces/bracelets and souvenirs. Rum is so cheap, we only paid 3.00$ a bottle. The nightly shows were entertaining, we only saw 4 of them but the water ballet in the pool was great.
We brought presents for the staff, like soap, shampoo, toothpaste and things for their children, erasers, barbie dolls(my daughter has grown out of)crayons etc. They are very much appreciated. We even gave gifts to front desk and lobby bar staff, left something everyday for our maid Yola plus a peso.
The pool was nice and large with lots of lounge chairs. We brought our own beach towels with us otherwise you have to put down a deposit of 10$ each which you get back when you checkout. All in all we had a great week and would love to go back!

1 Thank funinthesunshine4
montreal
Reviewed 21 March 2009

Recently came home from a one week stay at arenas doradas and was satisfied. The resort and rooms were clean and well kept, the staff is friendly and helpful.
Service at the bars is up to par. Beach is gorgeous, white fine sand with turquoise blue waters. Night staff entertainment was adequate. The cubans can put on some good shows.
Food selection is allright, but variety is not a strongpoint. HAving said this there is always freshly cooked meat and pasta so you can't go wrong.

The a la carte restaurants, 2 of the 4 are good. The natura and grill are the best, the italian and seafood is so-so but whos to say it wasn't my choice of food that may have been the issue!

This is one of the smaller resorts on the strip if you compare it to its neighbours (playa de oro and turquesa) but it is also a quieter resort making it more family oriented and for couples who want a week of relaxation away from home.

• Stayed March 2009, travelled as a couple
2 Thank clae
Corner Brook, Canada
Reviewed 20 March 2009

Despite having to travel alone after my companion dropped out at the last minute (non-refundable tickets), I had a great time.
First off american credit cards don't work in Cuba and neither do our debit cards, I only had 35 dollars spending money for the week (so don't forget your money).
Despite this the service was great even though I had no money to tip the staff, I got better service than the folks waving there money around like crazy. When it comes to the speedyness of the service just relax and be patient you are on VACATION, not driving in rush hour traffic. I finally found a way to get some money before leaving so I could have the 25cuc's to leave the country.
The resort itself was very well upkept far better than sol serennas which i stayed at 2 years ago. The staff was rigorusly working away at keeping the resort up to par. My room was also kept very clean although I did my best to keep it clean since I didn't have any tip money.
The quality of the food was outstanding, there was lots of variety at the buffet and the all night pizza was awesome, I ate alot of late night pizza.lol. The beach buffet was very good also with a good variety and lots of fresh fruit.
I may return to the same hotel in the futre but I like to check out different vacation spots all the time. Time will tell, but as a recomendation I would say it is a nice resort and it waould be a shame not to go for the price.

• Stayed March 2009, travelled solo
2 Thank gcrenovations
Reviewed 20 March 2009

The service was ok.. However, we were sold a bill of goods from Sunwing, from the 're-scheduling' of our outbound flight which caused us to lose our first day of holiday to the horrible state of our room it was not a relaxing vacation.

The room's were horrible. Sparce, worn out and in a state of disrepair we were not really happy with the common or personal areas of the hotel. Alcohol selection was really bad.. No recognizable brands to be seen until the 'VIP' service at the airport upon our return.

The beach was fabulous and the entertainment staff were really great. The beach and pool were really fun.

Liked the weather. Did not like the beds or pillows and old worn bedding. This should be fixed.

1 Thank 294kk

Travellers are raving about these Varadero hotels

vancouver
Reviewed 15 March 2009

Friends of mine had booked the group (6) of us into this resort in Varedaro. After i found out the name of the hotel, I went into Trip Advisors and read the reviews. I went to Cuba, expecting the worst, and it was fine. I don't know what people are complaining about.

I had toured the island of Cuba the week before on a 7 day Sunwing tour "tour natura". Highly recommend it. You get to see and learn about Cuba. Ended the vacation at Areanas Doradas for a week. Compared to the hotels we had stayed in Havana, the mountains, and another on Varedaro, the food at Areanas Doradas was the best. The buffet had plenty, good variety, and is better than the food in the 4 special restaurants.

It was clean, friendly service, great beach. It's Cuba!!!

• Stayed March 2009, travelled with friends
4 Thank beejim
Moncton, NB
Reviewed 10 March 2009

My husband and I travelled to Cuba for March break with my parents and our three children (13, 11, 6). Between my parents and ourselves we have been to many a resort from the Caribean to Europe and I have to say that I would return to Cuba - and this resort - in a heartbeat! The service and the friendly staff make all the difference in the world (high-fives and hugs to Sandra, Islay, Alfredo, Maria and Carlos!!!). The scenery was absolutely beautiful. And the rooms are clean, large and all have patios to sit and enjoy the sights.

Many people have commented on the food in Cuba as not being great. I totally disagree! Travelling with children, you learn very quickly if the food is going to be up to par. At this resort, never a compaint was heard! The main buffet offered fantastic assortments and selections to please anybody, including specialty meals each night. The lunch buffet at the beach was delicious (and my husbands favourite!). Breakfasts were fullfilling, offering a hot pancakes and omlette bar every morning. And the service at all of the restaurants was what made it so awesome.

We walked the beach one day and saw that this resort has the best beach front to the other hotels on the strip. Much wider and more cabanas. The proximity to the beach bar (which not all resorts had), washrooms and restaurant and even our rooms, were just seconds away. The beach had tons of chairs, and ample shore-line so you didn't feel squished together and the beach was clean from debris and seaweed. The water was GORGEOUS!!!!

The pool was perfect. Swim up bar, lots of chairs available, restaurant right there, washrooms too. Tons of activities and music playing all day long! Exactly what you expect when going "down south".

For anybody heading Varadero way - definitely check this place out and I don't think you'll be disappointed!

3 Thank dancingdivas