“Awesome Time as long as you aren't expecting a Marriott!”

Brisas del Caribe Hotel
Ranked #25 of 64 Hotels in Varadero
Reviewed 9 January 2012

We stayed the week of Dec 16th-23rd 2011. It was a great place. The staff was great. We were on the south side initially but paid for the north side. We were moved the next day which was great because we had a great view of the beach. Keep in mind the South side is newer and more spacious than the North side but it is quite the distance from the beach. The food was ok, but as many people say you don't go to Cuba for the food. The beach was spectacular we spent the whole week in beach chairs. My overall recommendation is go with an open mind, your vacation is what you make of it, if your going to nitpick about stupid little things then stay home, remember this isn't a Westernized country you need to lower your standards a bit! And you can't compare it to Marriott or Hilton no matter what resort you are staying at!

I loved this resort and would most definately go back:)

• Stayed: December 2011
12  Thank worldtraveller807
There are newer reviews for Brisas del Caribe Hotel

Reviewed 8 January 2012

I have just returned from another great holiday at Brisas. This was my 10th time there and it hasn't changed.What makes this place special is the staff.Had great service from Roibel and Jose in the buffet,they were very helpful as was the rest of the staff in the restaurants. You will always find something to eat,you will not go hungry. The pasta guy makes some great dishes,also all the shrimp and red snapper fish you can eat at the grill and while I was there all you can eat lobster on Fridays.Did the ala carte restaurants and they were also fine.Had great service from all bartenders who have now become friends. Make sure that you go to the piano bar on the 3rd floor,it's always a great time.The week that I was there,Oriole was the bartender and he always served with a smile.I want to especially thank llamis and Gisel for their hospitality and Julio for keeping the grounds well kept by the gym and introducing me to the gym trainer.As always the beach is beautiful,the sand is white and cool to the feet,the nicest that I have been on. George and his partner will make sure to get you a chair and also have it there for you for the rest of your holidays.Do not hesitate to go to Brisas,just go with an open mind and enjoy the cuban culture and people. Treat them with respect and you will get so much in return. Thanks again for another great holiday,Gary from Niagara Falls

• Stayed: November 2011, travelled with friends
7  Thank garyvanderkley
Reviewed 8 January 2012

Everything about this place was fantastic. I am dying to get back. The beach is amazing, so is the staff and food. Lots of things to do...I went snorkelling, Skydiving and its very close to Havana. Everything can be arranged by the hotel.

• Stayed: July 2011, travelled with family
8  Thank Ryan D
Reviewed 8 January 2012

This was our 5th all inclusive vacation and the first time we stayed at a 4 star resort – all the others have been 5 stars. We were a bit worried dropping a star especially in Cuba, but when it was all said and done there was nothing to worry about. Was it as nice as a 5 star, no, but it wasn’t that far off. The price difference $600 - $800 extra pp that we paid in the past for a 5 star honestly isn’t worth it. This resort was a little tired, but the rooms were clean, the pool was nice, the ocean was great and the service was comparable to anywhere we have ever been. I read a lot of complaints about the food, but it was fine – cooked to order omelets for breakfast, a pasta bar for lunch in the buffet, al a carte restaurants for dinner and a 24 hour snack bar serving pizza, hamburgers, hot dogs, sandwiches and fries. If you are going on vacation to eat, go to NYC and not the Caribbean.
The only complaint the ladies had was with the bathrooms by the pool. They were fine for the men, but the ladies had a tough time as there was never any toilet paper and the toilets weren’t cleaned often enough. The resort is small so it didn’t take much longer to use the bathroom in the room that it did to walk to the public bathrooms, which the ladies did after the first day. The 5 of us all agreed that if we could get this resort for around the same price point of $925 all in, we would go back in a second. Hopefully this helps.

• Stayed: January 2012, travelled as a couple
9  Thank canadianwedding
Reviewed 4 January 2012

The beach: is amazing for anyone looking to get away and enjoy the ocean and the sun.
Massage offered right on the beach and is very relaxing.Use of peddle boats & kayaks (free); we did pay an extra $20 CUC/person for an hour to go snorkling on the catermaran with a "guide"~ 1km away from resort- pretty cool to experience all the fish. They provide snorkling equipment. Bring lots of dried bread if you can, it runs out fast and do not bring anything with you unless you want it soaking wet by the time you return.Vendors and people watching galore on the beech along with beach volleyball which was very fun for adults and teens alike.

The staff: the maids, the maintenance guys, the porters,the coffee counter gals, the poolside bar (is the best), buffet staff, pasta guys, egg gal, snack bar staff and batenders are just so kind and gave A+ service. The front deskstaff and service however is horrible. They acknowledge you when they feel like it and pretend they don't understand when you say something. They are however sure quick to jump if you have a problem and have your tour operator address it with them.

The rooms: We did have to change rooms due to non functioning AC and a shower head that blew off while showering. Our first room smelled off and generally unpleaseant, we expected it from previous reviews and acknowledged we were in a tropical environment and brought air freshners to combat our unacustomed noses, but ended up changing anyway. Next room surprisingly did not smell at all, but it also did not have a functioning AC unit. Our maid showed us that it was not connected to the controls and that we had to turn the breaker on and off for the AC. The rooms were cleaned very well and there is also a safe to store any valuables. We did have to stuff a towel under the door to prevent the bugs/cockroaches from coming in as the gap was pretty significant and I stepped on one one night when I got up to use the washroom. The room TV is small and is the kind you have to smack on the side to get the colors to correct, but really we were in the room to sleep and that is pretty much it so not a biggie. The room balcony was also nice with 2 chairs and a table.

the Food: to us was not good and we were expecting not good food from previous reviews, but we were prepared to make do and to eat what we knew... who knew it would be so terrible. I would not classify my family as picky eaters either, but it was truly challenging to pick and choose something edible for all of us. Pasta was always a safe choice for us along with the fresh bread and egss. We brought peanut butter for toast which we used all up when we were there, but found no use for our hot sauce and ranch dressing as they had sufficient spices and dressings in the buffet. The a la cartes were just a tad better than the buffet. If you go to any I would suggest go to the international one- it is by far the best, but that is even a strech. The seafood a la carte is absolutly gross; the italian is just okay. the snack bar is okay. We ate hotdogs and burgers with no problem, the pizza did however give us some stomach problems, it may have been the cheese or the bacon- not sure but it caused a lot of runs to the facilities.

The facilities: What I really want to know is why toilet seats are few and far between on the resort. I felt lucky when I got a stall with one! The grounds are immaculate, the main building is clean and relaxing. You can buy cigars and rum in the main building and it is not too expensive- although the airport was slightly cheaper (past security). We could also buy pringles and cookies which we did a lot as the kids refused to eat the Cuban buffet after the first few days.There is a little canpy market tunnel on the way to the beach with vendors selling gifts to bring back home. We bought all of the souveniers there. There is room to haggle with a few of them, but not too much as it is their livlihood. It seemed the more I hummed and hawed the better the deal got.

Changing money: Do not change money at the front desk the rate is horrible, I could not beleive it so I asked for a receipt to which the clerk pretended to not understand what I wanted then finally printed off the denominations she gave me on the back of a guest list that housed the names of the guests and their country of orgin...some privacy concerns here. Anyway, change money at the cadeca when it is open (on site) and only change during a weekday for best rates- The rates are worse on the weekend (tip from our tour operator). I heard you could get a better rate in Varadero, but we did not try this.

Would we return...probably not, but the price was good and like I said at first, the beach is really beautiful and that is what we went for.

• Stayed: December 2011, travelled with family
3  Thank GoBluejays
Reviewed 2 January 2012

we just returned from our last visit to brisas del caribe on dec.25th. as always,we had an amazing time,met some more awesome people and spent some time with our friends from the resort. many improvements have been made since our last trip in the spring,some very visible improvements and changes. it was actually quite busy while we were there. for christmas eve dinner,they went all out and people had reservations for this evening at various times. they had a huge variety for dinner,if you can think of it,they had it,and it was delicious.from seafood,to roasts salads pasta and desserts.and we didnt need to bring our own ketchup this time.the room we stayed in was spotless as was the rest of the hotel,service was above excellent and lots of familiar faces and smiles wherever we went. we are going back around mid january and staying for 2 wks this time. every visit we make to cuba,is always to varadero,and always to brisas del caribe.

• Stayed: December 2011, travelled as a couple
6  Thank rosalind57
Reviewed 1 January 2012

This was our second trip to the Brises, our seventh to Cuba. Our first trip to Brises being last year and we thought the resort was great. This time it was fantastic. The resort staff are working hard to improve the grounds and the hotel. I had no complaints about the food last year, and this year there was a definite improvement. Please remember this is Cuba not Canada. I don't believe that there is a Canadian going to Cuba that would starve to death. There food is different - not bad, just different from Canada.

As usual the staff were great. Never once did we feel we had to tip. I tip in Canada for service, so I tip in Cuba for service. That is me! All tips were appreciated but not expected. The good thing about this trip was most of the staff remembered us from last year - many, many hugs and kisses and best of all - fun and laughs. Too many staff to mention that made our trip so special, but our thanks to each and everyone.

We meet many new friends down there - it truly felt like home. We are definitely going back next December and we will try to make it down in April.

Please, when reading all the bad reviews, remember that is only one persons perspective. The reason I mention the food is because that seems to be the biggest complaint with the reviews. Go with an open mind, enjoy Cuba, enjoy the people - if you want Canadian standards, canadian people stay in Canada. There are a lot of people (like us) that enjoyed Cuba. After travelling thoughout the Caribbean Cuba has our heart.

• Stayed: November 2011, travelled as a couple