“Lovely spot” 4 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #24 of 63 Hotels in Varadero
Newfoundland
“Lovely spot”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 14 April 2012

We spent 2 weeks at Brisas. Our 6th to Cuba and first to this resort. Read alot of negative reviews before going but the price was good and you can't believe all you read, right?
We arrived at 3:30 in the morning and was taken directly to our room. I had requested the south side where the rooms were newer and was told that we could be moved the next day.
We were given a room on the third floor of the main building and when we realized how convenient it was, we stayed. The room itself was a bit dated but it was one floor above the main lobby where both the coffee bar and regular bar were located. It also had a pool and ocean view which was very nice.
The service at the resort was wonderful. Except for the fact that you are only given one bottle of water upon arrival and no other,we had no complaints.
The resort was clean, the food was a bit poor at times but we always found something we liked.

We did go to Kiki's one evening for the best pizza ever and we did the overnight Trinidad tour which was long but well worth it, especially if you have 2 weeks vacation.

The mood at the resort is relaxed and we met some wonderful people from all over.
The beach was lovely and you do have to pay a 15.00 per person deposit on your towels (never heard of that before) but just return them before you leave..no problem.

The internet was out, actually the computers were gone but we could use and did use the service at the nearby resort with no hassle at all.

I would return to this resort.

Room Tip: Sout side is newer and quiter and has a seperate pool and bar/24 hour snack service however about a...
  • Stayed April 2012, travelled as a couple
7 Thank islandcove

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (709)
  • Czech first
  • Hungarian first
  • Polish first
  • Slovak first
  • Turkish first
Ottawa, Ontario, Canada
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 April 2012

Hotel is really not a 5 star but the food was good, good selection in buffet and excellent service!! The five star is at the beach. What a beach!
If you are looking for good service and an exeptional beach for an excellent price, this is the place. Recommend to anyone who doesn't care about what the room looks like. Very clean however.

• Stayed April 2012, travelled with friends
3 Thank Christiane G
Orangeville, Canada
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 April 2012

Just came back from 7 days; April 4-11, 12. Had a great time. Yes, it is run down in places and you can focus on the negative if you want, but you are on vacation!!! We paid $2300 for four of us, (kids 4 and 6). Rooms were clean. A/C worked great. We brought ant traps for the room, and that solved that problem. We took a few minutes to get to know the maid on the first day and asked for clean towels and water everyday. We got it, no problem. Pool side drink and food service in the south pool was fantastic. Tonnes of lounge chairs, but I think peak season is coming to an end. Beach is beautiful. Food is Cuban. We did not starve. Service in the buffet was great. The guys driving the golf carts were great. They were always eager to take us back to the room at the end of the evening. One played around with the kids pretending to get lost and joking with them. He refused to take a tip from us, saying it was his pleasure.

Only 2 complaints about the resort are no toilet seats in the public bathrooms, and no black out curtains in the room. Kids were up early!! People who complain about service need to take a look at how they are treating the staff. Treat people as you would like to be treated! I love when people complain about their sheets not being changed daily. Do you change your sheets at home everyday, because I don't! We were given fresh flowers everyday from one waiter in the buffet. Kids thought it was great. The kids gave the gardeners some gloves. One of them found us later on that day around the pool area and gave both my girls a beaded necklace. It was such a simple gesture that the kids loved, and still talk about.

Would definitely recommend this place to people. It is a great value for the price. We went to Zellers and grabbed a couple of cheap pillows for the week and left them there. Doller store sells those vacuum seal storage bags which worked great to save space. Kahlua at the lobby bar. Malibu rum and Seagram's VO at other bars. Don't forget your travel mug to help save on plastic cup usage.

Tip: Bring your good condition used clothes and shoes. Most airlines will allow you to bring extra baggage free of charge if it is a humanitarian donation. Canjet allows 20kg per person. You just call them and they will email you a letter to present at check-in. Just call you airline and ask.

Room Tip: South block is very quiet.
  • Stayed April 2012, travelled with family
8 Thank lovetovacation57
Calgary, Canada

March 20th - April 3rd

Wow people.. whoever says this place is a "dump", really needs to put things into perspective here. I only had ONE complaint about the resort.. but it didn't really have MUCH to do with the hotel or the service... it was the other tourists. Lazy, unappreciative, gluttonous pigs. Were 80% of people who went to this hotel brought up in the woods? I always found it highly amusing that people would get their cute little children to butt in front of a huge line up of people, to get them stuff, then have the people serving them, go BRING it to the parents at the tables. Get over yourselves, seriously.

The people who were complaining are probably just upset that they didn't have a gold toilet.

Kind of annoying the first day we got there, because our room wasn't ready until 4, so it was pretty boring having to wait, but we lived through it.

Rooms - DECENT. The room was clean, I had no problems with the toilet, or the shower. I did have one problem with the hot water, once or twice in the 2 weeks I was there but other then that, not a problem. I let it run it's course. The only thing I didn't like too much is the "garden view" was that I had a view of the roof, and the plants on the balcony were dead. I didn't care too much considering I don't go on vacation for the view.

Service - Depends who you get, like everywhere you go. I work in retail and understand why some of these people may not be hunky dory for their whole.. what was it 12 or so hour work day? They have to deal with demanding tourists who don't even know how to say "please" and "thank you". Who use demanding tones. Astounding. You think cause yall tip 1-2 pesos that these people are your servants, or that you can butt in line cause you have money with you? From observation, I could tell they do it the honest and fair way... wait your damn turn. You are no more important then anyone else. If you keep this in mind, be polite, occasionally tip, and you will have excellent service. I assure you.

I really liked Roy. He served us pretty much everyday for breakfast our first week. He must have been switching sides or something. He's really nice, as with a lot of the other buffet staff. We got called "friend" "Family", etc. We did tip everyday, at every meal though, so I dunno, maybe that had something to do with it.

Food - Decent. I can't get through the comments of people complaining that they lived off bread and fruit for their whole stay. Are you vegetarian or something, or just really picky. Everyday, even if every hot item wasn't to our liking, we still found one or 2 items that we liked. This only happened twice out of the 2 weeks. I wasn't particular to the rabbit so I skipped it. There was roast chicken, beef, etc. The ice cream is awesome. It's ice cream how can you go wrong! Sometimes they had like a marshmallowy whip cream to put on the ice cream.. I LOVED it. The only problem with FOOD that I had was the change in diet (so I got diarrhea.. but that's why I had Imodium with me.. which worked in a half an hour).

Beach - Beautiful. Exactly like a magazine pic... except tourists who throw their cigarette butts on the ground.. or their cups. I remember people complaining that they don't keep the beach clean. Why hold it against the staff? I seen them cleaning the beach, and it's not their fault people are lazy.

Entertainment - Pretty good. The dancers are excellent. I didn't really care too much for the Cuban show but the others were ok. They are only 45 minutes so if you have a moment in the evening I recommend checking them out.

I'd go to this resort again! Don't believe these people whingeing about the service or saying the place is a "dump" . It's a lovely place, with a beautiful beach and nice staff. If you're high maintenance, and need to have people at your beck and call 24/7, this probably isn't the place for you. A "dump" is what it seems a lot of the citizens of the country live in... which is NO WHERE NEAR the state of the resort.

Room Tip: We were on the 4th floor so it was quieter.
  • Stayed March 2012, travelled as a couple
8 Thank tomkel07
Red Lake, ON
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 April 2012

We arrived at the resort on Mar.4/12 and were joined by our daughter, son in law and 2 grandkids, 12 and 9 on the 11th. It was a truly enjoyable experience. I would say the resort was more a 3 -3 1/2 star, but our room was spotless, although a bit old, hey it's Cuba, the food was great, except for the seafood a la carte. Lots to choose from in buffet, lunch bbq. ice cream was fab, drinks were good. Staff was out of this world, they couldn't do enough for you, all night restaurant was great for kids, beach was clean, beach staff very helpful, had my hair braided, cheapest price ever and looked great. We're hoping to go back next year. Anyone who says they didn't have a great time shouldn't travel to the carribean. They did run out of beach towels, but we just bought some "cheapies". If that's the worst that can happen, what a trip!!

Room Tip: Ask for a family room in the south section. Newer, pool right outside, near all night restaurant, a...
  • Stayed March 2012, travelled with family
3 Thank Dorothy G
Winnipeg, Manitoba Canada
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 April 2012

We just returned on April 10th from a great vacation at Brisas Del Caribe. This was our second trip to Cuba but first time to Varadero and we were so happy with Brisas. During our orientation with the Sunwing rep we were told that this was not a luxury resort but it was a family friendly resort and I couldn’t have agreed more. Not to say that the resort was not beautiful, because it was, but the luxury was not there so if that is what you’re looking for, this is not the resort for you.

Rooms:
By emailing the resort before leaving I found out that we were booked in the North Section (main building). Having read the reviews I understood there was a lot more action here and potentially could be louder so I requested a room in the South Section instead. I also asked if we could be on the second floor (there are only two floors in the South Section buildings) and have a room with a true king size bed. The management was able to move us with no problem or extra charge and we were very satisfied. The room was large, clean, had its own balcony (they all do) and was very comfortable. Now some people have indicated that it is a long walk to the beach but really it is between 3-8 minutes depending on how fast you are moving. The only negative I could say is that the mini fridge is only stalked with one large water bottle (no soda or beer provided) which you fill up at the bars when needed. I knew this from reading other reviews so it wasn’t unexpected but including soda and beer would be nice. If you are looking for a great room I would highly recommend room 647, South Section, F Block.

Maid Service:
It was excellent. Our room was always very clean and there was towel art every day. Our maid also started to leave us extra bottles of water. Our maid also left us a very sweet good-bye letter which was a nice touch.

Beach:
Incredible. Lots and lots of loungers and never a problem getting a shady spot, but then I am an early riser and was always down at the beach by 7:30 am. Even so, there were lots of people coming down at all hours and it looked like everyone could find some shade/sun/lounger.

The ocean was completely sandy and with little to no seaweed, but this also meant not a whole lot of snorkeling opportunities as not a whole lot of fish. The first couple of days we were there the ocean was so calm and clear and then it got a little rougher with some excellent waves that you could play in.

The sand was powder soft and so beautiful. The only problem was the other vacationers that left their garbage behind. The staff did try to clean up but really there is only so much they could do.

Would suggest that you bring an insulated mug as the little plastic cups don’t hold up all that well.

Food:
No complaints. It wasn’t fantastic but I knew what to expect going to Cuba. I ate a lot from the “Pasta Guy” which I was always very happy with. One thing I was surprised with was that french fries are what we Canadians would call potato chips. Not a complaint just a surprise.

Service:
Buffet - Sit in Roy’s section (he was always in the outdoor area when you came down the left hand stairs to the buffet). Absolutely fantastic and really helped make our trip special. Roy was a definite highlight.

Front Desk – I found the ladies to be helpful and cheerful with one exception. On our last day we were suppose to leave the resort at 1:45 pm but we found out, due to mechanical problems with the plane, our departure was delayed until 10:30 pm (and ultimately 11:55 pm). We were all supposed to be back in the lobby by 7:30 pm for the bus. We had already checked out by then (check out time is noon) and our luggage was in a locked room. No big deal, they let us in to retrieve our swim suits and we were able to get a key for the complimentary suit to change. Back to the beach we went and returned to the front desk at 6:00 pm. We were planning on getting the complimentary room again so we could shower and change but found out someone else had already been given the key and we would have to wait. I was a little disappointed that there was only one complimentary room but hey it’s a hotel and its understandable they don’t want a bunch of unpaid for rooms. We waited 15-20 min and I asked about the key again. Still it was not returned. I pushed a little at this point explaining we had to catch the bus at 7:30 pm and was there not another room we could use to shower. I was told no and that maybe I should go knock on the door of the complimentary room to get use of it. I was a little taken aback by this suggestion. I thought it would have been more appropriate for them to call the room or send someone to see how much longer the people would be instead of leaving it up to me. In the end the person did not turn in the key by the time we had to go so subsequently no shower.

All in all we had a great vacation at a great price and were very pleased. Would definitely consider returning.

Room Tip: South Section had nice big rooms and it was quieter with a short (3-8 min depending on your speed) t...
  • Stayed April 2012, travelled as a couple
2 Thank scooched
Toronto, Canada
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 April 2012

Beautiful beach.
Service and hotel was very unprofessional. We had a water leak in our room for the whole week and they did nothing about it.
No drinking water provided, no shampoo and the sheets of our beds smelled like sweat.
no beach towels
not many young ppl
Not recommended

• Stayed April 2012, travelled with friends
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
4 Thank Toni S

Travellers are raving about these Varadero hotels

Also consider these accommodations in or near Varadero
Sol Hotel
Colombus Hotel
Colombus Hotel
#7 of 8 in Oyster Pond
Barcelo Solymar Arenas Blancas Resort

Been to Brisas del Caribe Hotel? Share your experiences!