“Great beach and friendly staff too”

Brisas del Caribe Hotel
Ranked #25 of 64 Hotels in Varadero
Reviewed 21 June 2013

I really enjoyed my stay here. Almost all of the staff were extremely friendly and helpful. No matter what I asked for they were more than willing to help out. Henry the waiter was always smiling and willing to chat everyday. Jose from housekeeping brought me flowers and tried hard everyday to communicate, though his english is not so good, he always greeted me with a smile. Another Henry who was a lifeguard was quite friendly. I was amusing when he sent me off to go pick up lunch for all of the lifeguards one day. I also enjoyed long chats with Michael from the security department.

The beach was gorgeous. Beautiful clear water. The buffet dinner offered a nice variety everyday. They will even make you an omelette for breakfast in the morning. This was nice as I did not make use of the A la Carte restaurant while I was there. They do a great job of maintaining the grounds and and refuse is cleaned up very early each morning. There was constantly people working whether doing yardwork, maintenance, painting or picking up after people.

Down sides. It is a little far from town but not too far of a walk to catch their handy double decker bus which you can hop on an off of all day for only 5 peso's. Some nightly entertainment was held in the main lobby and was VERY loud and did not start until quite late sometimes. They were having problems with there phone system while I was there and a few times every night I would get awoken in the middle of the night with the phone ringing for no reason. After a couple of nights I caught on and just unplugged the phone for the rest of my stay.

If you want a bit quieter of a room stay on the south side. Two minute walk to the main part of the hotel and you can walk through their lovely garden on your way. You may just find yourself surrounded by baby ducklings, I know I did:)

They gave me one of their best rooms which had an amazing view but I would not rate it a 4 star, at least it was not horrible.

I will definetly go back

Room Tip: For a quieter stay I would recommend the south side. Check out the restaurant Calle 13. GREAT valu...
  • Stayed: May 2013, travelled solo
2  Thank fly600girl
Gisell A, Director de Relaciones Públicas at Brisas del Caribe Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 10 July 2013

Dear Guest,
We really appreciate your comments about your stay in Brisas del Caribe and it is a pleasure to know how much you enjoyed your stay with us. First of all I would like to apologize for the phone problems you encountered during your stay. We will tell Jose and the others workers these positive comments.

We look forward to see you soon,
King Regards.

There are newer reviews for Brisas del Caribe Hotel

Reviewed 17 June 2013

I will start by saying that we were moved from Arenas doradas to Brisas del caribe, due to all the listed complains already reviewed in that hotel seccion.
The change was totally possitive, I am so glad we moved to this hotel, it was from night with storn to day, great staff, they welcomed us in a very familiar way, all the time concerned about our stay there, and all staff great with no exception, the amenities and bufet, was great, we received few visits to inquire about the quality of the hotel, and our thoughs, we found in this hotel what we were expecting for what we paid, I still don;t understand how can two hotels so close, can be so different in the way they treat their guests. We left friends there and hope to comeback so that we don't get any more surprises like our first night mare day in arenas doradas.

• Stayed: June 2013, travelled with family
2  Thank Elly158
Gisell A, Public Relations Manager at Brisas del Caribe Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 16 July 2013

Dear Guest,

Thanks a lot for posting this wonderful and positive review of your recent stay in our resort. It is really nice to read comments like these ones. They motivate us and make our daily work worthwhile. We are delighted that you had such a great time and that our staff managed to be nice and serve you good all the time. You will always be welcome to Brisas del Caribe.

We hope to greet you again soon.

Kindest Regards.

Reviewed 12 June 2013

Went there the second time with another couple just because it was cheap. Our friends were visiting Cuba the first time and did not have a lot of budget. Took the 6.20 AM flight (SunWing) and arrived at 11.00 AM at the hotel. It's only 30 min away from the airport. Our rep was Holasun. The check in was not until 12-1 PM I think so we had to wait.

Here we go...The first room they gave us was ripped apart (dirty mattress, ripped curtains, the patio door was not closing, the furniture looked bad, horrible smell) so we asked for another room....the second one was the same; third time and 40 CUC later was a charm, we settled. Our friends seemed to have been OK with theirs.

FOOD: this time was just BAD. I don't remember having something to really enjoy eating. The deserts were just terrible. As usual you get lots of eggs in the morning, chesses and breads, bad coffee; lunch was all you can eat rice, potatoes, some types of meat, some veggies, not so much greens to make a salad from except cucumbers and avocado; dinner was recycled from lunch; the fruit station was a disaster...nothing to choose from and the fruit was not even ripen. The BBQ was on-off and you would have gotten only burgers and not fries.

GUESTS: Lots of Russians and Cubans! Watch out for these guys, are very rude and drunk all the time. Otherwise the crowd was mixed (Canadians, Europeans), I would say average age was 40. I haven't seen much interaction willingness so did not make any new friends while on site

BEACH was wonderful as before! Perfect!

BARS: the only two we went to were Caleta and the Lobby bar for Coffee

ROOM: Eventually our room turned out to be fine but many of them were gross
HOTEL is old, not much renovation happening; the South side is closed in September

WASHROOMS across the property including the one in the Lobby are disgusting. Only use the one in your room

POOLS: the main one was fine (Clean); there are other two Jacuzzi pools that were always filled with sand and urine

RESTAURANTS
A-la-Carte: None available in September

DRINKS: Unless the barman likes you (for your tip) you won't get good stuff

ACTIVITIES: You can get a Catamaran for $20 CUC and go snorkel or whatever; there is a scuba lesson for $20 CUC and you can go diving for $75CUC / 2 dives x 45min; The kayak is free for 1 hour, you can take the tours but I don't recommend

ENTERTAINMENT: Shows every night, may have had a disco going but I was in bed by 10 pm

Room Tip: Rooms on the second floor are much better Make sure you get enough sun screen (at the hotel is VERY...
  • Stayed: September 2012, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Roxana S
Reviewed 8 June 2013

Let me start by saying that I have never given a bad review before so this will be my first. The Brisas del Caribe in Varadero is the worst place we have ever been to. We would not recommend it and we would not return there no matter how cheap it was. We traveled as a group of 8 people ages 9-68 from may 26 to June 2

We have been to Cuba many times at all different times of the year and stayed at places ranging from 3 to 5 stars so we usually know what to expect when we get there. I will break this down into the good and the bad for you.

The Good
-Beach was great, as it is in most of Varadero.
-Some of the staff (Roy at the dinner Buffet being the Best)

The Bad
-Rooms...we had rooms 307,308 and 321 in the main building.307 was the only "ok" room out of the 3.The roof in 308 and 321 both leaked so badly that the pillows, blankets and mattress had to be changed. The water in the rooms was shut off every night while we were there from about 6-9pm.We ended up changing from room 321 to 327 on the 3 day because the roof was leaking so badly and it had cockroaches. The Toilet in room 307 would not flush properly unless you played with the handle for 5 minutes every time it was used.

Hotel
-Every light in our hallway in the main building had water dripping out of it and only about 3 bulbs actually worked. The lobby would be soaked with water every time it rained and when the rain would stop all of the pathways outside would have 3 inches of mud and water covering them.
I could go on and on with problems with the hotel.

Pool
-The pools were disgusting, thousands of dead bugs floating in them. We never saw anyone clean the pool the whole time we were there and it showed.

-We never expect great food or much variety in Cuba but we have been pleasantly surprised a few times but this was not one of those times. The food was horrible at the buffet and the a la carte restaurants. The snack bar was even worse. Extremely undercooked meat at all places(especially snack bar).
6 of the 8 people in our group had stomach issues most of the week and have never been sick before when in Cuba.

Bars
-Even the bars were bad here. It seemed as though it didn't matter what you asked for they couldn't make it for some reason or another. Even the most common drinks were unavailable at multiple times throughout our stay.

If I have missed something or if you have any questions please feel free to ask me. Like I said this is the first bad review that I've had to give but I just couldn't see the good in Brisas del Caribe.

Room Tip: Choose a different hotel.
  • Stayed: May 2013, travelled with family
5  Thank spotterwinter
Reviewed 2 June 2013

We absolutely LOVE Cuba. This was our third year back to the Brisas and have plans to return many years to come. I can't explain enough about how wondeful the staff are and we have made many friendships.

Rooms: They are clean. Bed and pillows not the greatest but they work and its better then a floor.
Moldy, musty yes they are but then again your in the carribean and open your door or
spray. We always had hot water and great pressure, toilets always flushed. And truly it
didn't matter we were there to change and sleep.

Food: Not much flavor so I would recommend to bring salt, pepper, ketchup, peanut butter etc...
I'm a very picky eater and even I could find something to eat. The grill was great for lunch pulled pork on buns yum....It is food we are definatly not used to but over all it was good.

Tipping: Well as our third year TIPPING IS NOT EXPECTED!!! It is appreciated. Every year we stock up and bring them the things they may need.

They are alot of positve and negative reviews but truly I would look at the ones that are positive you don't go to Cuba for the food, you go for the BEACH,DRINKS AND SUN. No it's not your 5 star Hilton but remember where you are and appreciate the little things as much as they do.

• Stayed: April 2013, travelled as a couple
3  Thank JodyJJB
Reviewed 27 May 2013

We booked Brisas through Sunwing from May 2 - May 9 for 3 ladies.

We checked in for a pool side room on the 3rd floor and immediately went to the pool and right away noticed BUGS FLOATING ALL OVER THE POOL. So we go to the beach instead which was very beautiful and clean.

When we got back to the room, we noticed none of the lights were working, our door wouldn't lock properly, our safe wouldn't lock either, and the phone, and tv weren't working either.
When we complaint to the main desk, we were told a technician would come and take a look soon, no one came until we placed a call again 2 hours later. Tech didn't fix anything and said there were electrical problems.

That night at dinner, in my seafood rice, I found a cooked COCKROACH. When I showed this to my waitress she showed it to 4 more chefs and they all came upto me and said " its not a cockroach its shrimps cousin "

When we complaint about everything to the front desk again we were told by the rude manager " what do you want us to do ? "

The next day morning I complained to our sunwing rep Kenya, who helped so much and upgraded to RIU VARADERO for additional $110 each and got outta there in 20 mins.

• Stayed: May 2013, travelled with friends
3  Thank Irene A
Reviewed 26 May 2013

We stayed at Brisas from March 15th to March 22nd. Cuba is always a nice country to visit the locals are always very Polite and Respectfull. We Stayed on the 2nd floor of the main building. Room was clean and close to everything. We lured them into restocking our mini fridge by putting a tip folded over the fridge door. Lots of hot water for showers and room was cleaned nice daily.

Beach was fantastic and Pool was nice, there seemed to be a shortage of beach towels took us a couple of days to get them. Beach was clean sand out to ocean was great and sand was powder right out to shoulder height. Was pretty shallow for a ways out for those with small children.

Food was good, not as much variety as some other resorts we had stayed at in cuba. The supposivley fresh vegetable was always a joke between us at the three ala cartes we went to. They were a frozen mixed vegetable with lima beans at all 3. To add a little variety we ate off the resort. Restauraunt at the Bellmar Caves was exceptional we had the special Cuban pork with brown beans, rice and mixed greens. We also had pizza at the Plaza Americas in Varadero it was very good as well if your looking for something similar to what you could get at home.

This was not our first trip to cuba we felt confident in our sight seeing ability's. We rented a car for two days to explore in the town of varadero, tour the Bellmar Caves, and Coral Beach located near city of Matansas. Both were something to see, at coral beach we saw Parrot fish, a Blow fish and several other colourful fish snokeling there, the caves were also very neat great guide right at the caves for a small fee. Cost of rental was reasonable worked out to $85 CUC per day including gas for a small Geeley similar to a Kia Rio right from the resort made our excursions easy and less expensive than buying tours.

Overall vacation is always good and we enjoyed a nice relaxing time in cuba again.

Room Tip: Main Building is closer to the Beach.
  • Stayed: March 2013, travelled as a couple