“JL”

Ranked #25 of 64 Hotels in Varadero
“JL”
Reviewed 17 November 2013

Value for money!!!!
This is a 3.5 rating and as such do not expect more and you would not be disappointed. We
are very pleased with the level of service and the facilities in the south side of the resort. We have been to Brisas 3 times in a row and very pleased.
The complex is not new and it requires some updating

Room Tip: Choose the South side where it's quieter and the rooms are bigger.
  • Stayed April 2013, travelled with friends
Review collected in partnership with this hotel

Gisell A, Public Relations Manager at Brisas del Caribe Hotel, responded to this review, 28 November 2013
Dear John L:
Thanks for sharing your opinion about our hotel, helps us a lot because we feedback about the work we do, we are very pleased that your stay at our hotel was satisfactory. thank you very much again and we hope to see you soon.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (723)
  • Czech first
  • Hungarian first
  • Polish first
  • Slovak first
  • Turkish first
London, Ontario, Canada
Reviewed 16 November 2013

Our fist time to Brisas Del Caribe was in Febuary 2010 then returned again in Febuary 2011, Both times we had a great time, the staff were very friendly and helpful, and some of the staff even remembered us on our return visit I was very impressed. We preferred the South side over the North section, although it was a little noisy some nights with the partier's going at it hard all night.
The Beach was fantastic as was the weather, there were some fum times around the pool with all the games the staff had organized. The food was ok a little bland but tasted fine, and the Cuban barbeques were excellent, I am looking forward to the next one. Our rooms were fairly clean and comfortable and the cleaning staff did a marvelous job of keeping it that way, got a kick out of the shapes the staff managed to make out of the towels
My youngest son and I both scuba dive so we went out on a couple of dives and it was awesome thoroughly enjoyed it, and the dive centre was right across the road from the hotel.
For our next trip in Febuary 2013 we are going to make sure we go on the Jeep safari, have heard a lot of good things about the trip.
We have always felt safe in Cuba and at the Brisas Del Caribe the Cuban people have to be the friendliest people you could ever hope to meet. I would recommend Cuba and the Brisas to anyone, I look forward to our next visit. Keep up the good work.

Room Tip: I found the south side rooms nicer, quieter during the day but can get a little noisy at night. Try...
  • Stayed February 2013, travelled with family

Dear Roy M:

Thank you for your review about our hotel, for us is very helpful since we are pleased that you recognize the work we have done for us is very important that your stay here is satisfactory reason why we work.
Thank you very much once again and we hope to see you soon.
Reviewed 16 November 2013

We loved Brisas... so much we have been there 3 times... and heading for a 4th this year.. always in April....

Been there with adults only and as a family ( less than $2000 for 4 of us ) and have not had a bad experience... staying in the South end near the 24 hr bar in the Family area has always been good..

Staff like Uneil, Miladys George Omar and nadalene made sure we were always taken care of and all needs met... we continue to take care of them and feel like they are part of our family we go to visit each year....

People who go to Cuba and expect delicacies need to go other places. There is always something to eat... lots to drink.. the beach is beautiful and you don't have to leave the resort for anything if you don't want to... who cares if some toilets don't have seats... its actually more sanitary to hover,,, and if they run out of cheese find something else to eat... or bring your own jar of Cheez whiz....

We love Brisas... and cant imagine going anywhere else for the money we pay....

Room Tip: Always ask for the family rooms in the south - not gardenview or main building...
  • Stayed April 2013, travelled with family

3 Thank wuzagrundy
dear wuzagrundy:
thank you very much for sharing your opinion and take some of your time to get feedback on the work we have done, we are very pleased to know that your stay at our facility was good, we are working on that.

Thank you very much once again and hope to see you soon.
ontario
Reviewed 14 November 2013

just came back from Brisas Del Caribe Nov 3-10/2013 for one week, the hotel could use a bit of updating, and little cleaning up in areas, but all in all, the food was ok, the first three days, and then i understand the Sunwing reps came, and the rating of 6 went to a 12 !! our room was clean, the toilets worked, and the shower was good, had lots of hot water too,
the staff were very good, and the beach beautiful, and the pool too,

my friend and i had a great time!!

Room Tip: 3rd floor balcony
  • Stayed November 2013, travelled with friends
3 Thank susana06
Gisell A, Public Relations Manager at Brisas del Caribe Hotel, responded to this review, 15 November 2013
Dear Susana06:
Thank you for write your opinion about our hotel, that help us a lot in the ranking and in the way that others clients could see us. It is abig pleasure have guest like you that enjoy we hope see you again, the next time will be better.
Rockwood, Ontario
Reviewed 10 November 2013

Our trip to Brisas Del Craibe. Varadero Cuba in early October 2013
My wife and I, along with our daughter, her husband and our two grandchildren, visited the hotel, Brisas Del Craibe on Oct 8th for one week. Since this time of the year is off season the hotel numbers were very low, with the result the hotel was not fully functional. The south section was closed off and some of the alacart restaurants were closed. Since Brisas Del Craibe has been our destination of choice over the last ten years I have to say we enjoy our experience as always.
The weather was good for our stay (20 minutes of rain during daytime hours). There had been heavy rain the week before, which meant we had many mosquitoes at the start of our stay. I would recommend bringing insect repellent.
We find the staff pretty amazing and I would rate them 5 star. They respond well to interaction and most speak very good English! I have never found, as some guests have alluded to on previous reviews, that staff are motivated by tips. They certainly do appreciate tips if given.
The beach is an amazing feature of this hotel, also 5 star. It is located only a few steps from the hotel and is groomed regularly. It has adequate shade and plenty of loungers. There is a bar only steps away from the beach and, when they get a chance, bar staff walk the beach offering to get your refreshments for you. The beach peddlers are not aggressive and are restricted to only a few and must stay away from the guest lounger areas. There is a volleyball court on the beach as well as catamarans, kayaks and paddle boats free for guest use. The massage therapist and the hairdresser also have a work area on the beach as well as a location in the fitness building.
The pools are very good and not too deep, one has a great area for playing pool volleyball with plenty of space for casual swimming. There is a bar located at the pool area. This is also the area the Animation team have most of their activities. If you want to participate, there is bingo, ping pong, darts, Spanish lessons, dancing lessons and lots more activities where you can win “funny” money to use at a twice weekly auction of a bottle of rum and other goodies.
Food quality and presentation seems to be something that is brought up in reviews for this hotel and others in Cuba. We have not had an issue with the food. I prefer fish and there is always plenty of it. The breakfasts are always good as the chef cooks the omelets, bacon and eggs at a grill where you can advise how you would like yours cooked. The beach restaurant area was used as the dining area for lunch most days that we were there. We enjoyed that as the meat, shrimp, pork and fish were cooked on the barbecue and with the band playing off to the side made for a fun and relaxing lunch. The chefs also join in the entertainment some days which only added to the fun. The cheese, bread and the ice cream are some of our favourites.
At dinner we found there was always a good selection with lots to eat in the buffet area, it may be a different fare than you we used to and can sometimes be a little bland but you have to remember you are not in North America so enjoy the change. The alacart restaurants have to be booked ahead and you can book up to three dinners during your stay, so you have to book early as they fill up quickly. There is a dress code required so be prepared for this. The service and ambiance at these restaurants is very good. But again remember you are in Cuba and their resources are limited.
They had professional dancers perform a couple of nights at the outdoor show when we were there; they are very good and put on a great show. They also had a magic show this visit, it too was well done. The participant show can be fun if you are into that, they have different themes for each night. One downside, we have found for the outdoor show, is the lack of lighting and poor walkways leading to the outdoor theater, I would recommend taking a small flashlight.
The hotel lobby area is very nice with a large sunken planted area in the centre of the hallway with some very nice murals along the third story inside wall, a nice touch. It has a bar at one side and a coffee bar at the other with great coffee. This is where the public relations staff is located and we found them to be extremely helpful and enthusiastic about Cuba, the hotel and their job.
The front desk staff in our experience are pleasant and do a good job, our only complaint is the inability to make change. This is the only place other than the banks down town or at the airport upon arrival to get change for tips, seems like a management problem to me.
The Hotel has a tennis court and fitness building on site, the grounds are well groomed with maintenance staff on duty daily, lighting on the grounds could use some upgrades though especially along the walkways.
The rooms are large with a balcony, they are well lit, with a fridge, television, stereo and a safe. The bathrooms are ok but the baths and shower heads could be upgraded, we had a quiet good working air conditioner but that, I believe, is not always the case.
We have seen quite a bit of positive changes and upgrades over the last ten years with some of the latest being the buffet dining room, a new alacart restaurant and a large children’s building , upgrades need to continue to keep the hotel current and pleasing to guests.
We rode the hotel bicycles to the dolphin area one day to watch the show which is only about a kilometer away, a good show and the bicycles, although have only one gear, worked just fine. There are also scooters for rent at the hotel for the adventures types.
One of our favourite things to do is take the open top double ducker bus on a round trip out the peninsula and back through the town of Varadero. You get a chance to see all the hotels and the construction that continues around this tourist haven, you can get on and off as often as you wish for five pesos daily, there are plenty of markets and restaurants to visit in Varadero.
Over all I would give Brisas Del Caribe a 4 star rating.
Cannot forget to mention that we flew with Sunwing and enjoyed a great flight, the thirty minute drive from the airport to the resort is quite an interesting drive.
Looking forward to our next visit.

Room Tip: Level 3 or 4 on the north building
  • Stayed October 2013, travelled with family
12 Thank bradyj
Dear brady and:
thank you very much for sharing your opinion about the hotel. For us it is a great pleasure to you and his family a happy holiday has passed, also the level of accuracy with which explained their stay at our facility is very helpful. We will share your review with the staff, to recognize their work, we hope to see you soon and thank you very much for trusting us to enjoy your holiday.
Reviewed 10 November 2013

It seems in the past It was a good resort, now my question is : What is the customer services in this resort ? Location is great, Varadero is an amazing beach.
The food and the presentation in the buffet was terrible!!! In the buffet were about 12 waiters walking around , one of their asked me if I want a coffee, I said yes ,after 10 minutes waiting nobody gave me a coffee but three waiters were drinking coffee in the door of the buffet! It has been the worst hotel in my life!!! Bananas were cut into small pieces, on one occasion, in another were peeled diced.
In the front desk had a horrible smell gas,Everybody noticed the smell, but It seemed it was normal the .The person receiving at the hotel entrance, approached to me only to say that I could not park the car without even say hello or welcome or help me with my luggage. It was a waste of time and money.
I don't recommend this hotel
I stayed Nov1-7,fortunately I found in Varadero better place to eat and wonderful and nice people.

• Stayed November 2013, travelled solo
2 Thank Aurora P
Dear Aurora P:
Thank you for made a review about our hotel. We feel that your stay in our hotel was not so successful, so we offer you our sincere apologies. We will communicate the problem that you had in the buffet and check how it could happened because all our personal give a great service and all our customers say that is one of the reason that they come here. Thank you one more time, your opinion could help us for do a better job.
thanks one more time

Travellers are raving about these Varadero hotels

Hamilton, Ontario, Canada
Reviewed 1 November 2013

Beautiful location, gorgeous beach.

This resort is about a 3 star. Location was nice, very aged, but certainly needed some updating, however it was pretty.

Sleeping arrangements:
Pros: Very big and had a balcony with a little table and two chairs.
Cons: All the way at the back of the resort facing the highway. About a 12 minute walk to the beach. Extremely ugly and out dated room and bathroom. Floor level, bugs everywhere.
Beds were very uncomfortable, and very old. Tv didn't work.

That being said, we made friends with people and their rooms were much nicer than ours. Their rooms were in the main building. Maybe we would have gotten a better room if we complained.

Service varied. Some people were genuine and kind, however a majority of the employees were grumpy and slow.

AS FOR FOOD: I have no idea where to start. The food was DISGUSTING. I kid you not. I went to this resort expecting tasteless food. Not expecting spoiled food.

Every time I walked in the buffet I wanted to vomit. I am not exaggerating. The food smells rotten. I heard they turn their fridges off over night to save money. Their meat had gone bad, and they served it to us daily. It's not a matter of the food being "tasteless" It's a matter of the food being spoiled and repulsive. They didn't even have french fries? something so simple! They had chips? literally hard round old fries that looked like chips. I dreaded eating.

Alcohol: Likely the same at all cuban resorts. However, Drinks that were supposed to be slushy never were because NONE of the slushy machines worked ANYWHERE in the resort. It's like they were too cheap to turn them on!

By the 5th night my boy friend and I very ill. We never once drank water, I didn't even drink alcohol because the alcohol was even terrible. I drank bottled water day in and day out.

You do not pay money to be sick all week. It is not right. You can lay in the same sun, lay on the same beach, for a decent price at a different resort. I personally would recommend people go to another country all together, but it definitely depends on what deals you find, and how much money you are willing to spend.

We couldn't wait to go home and eat something as simple as a plain bagel toasted with butter.

Pay the extra little bit and go somewhere nicer. Maybe even another Cuban resort, just make sure their ratings are good! KEEP SEARCHING!

Room Tip: Pick a room in the main building closer to the beach.
  • Stayed February 2013, travelled as a couple
2 Thank RosalinaJ
Gisell A, Public Relations Manager at Brisas del Caribe Hotel, responded to this review, 14 November 2013
Estimated RosalinaJ:
We are very grateful that you share your opinion about our hotel and at the same time, we feel that your time here with us was not satisfactory.Thanks for highlighting our beach and the location of the Hotel. We believe in our team of work, in the good service that they give. As for food, our main chef make a menu for all the costumers with different characteristics, we are really sorry if you and your family could not enjoy, we are fixing all that mistakes.
Thank you very much again.