“alls good but the food”

Brisas del Caribe Hotel
Ranked #25 of 64 Hotels in Varadero
Reviewed 27 November 2013

My wife and I visited this resort nov.8-16,we arrived about 5 am and the room was ready.The bathrooms need to be renovated and so glad we brought our own pillows.We were on the fourth floor overlooking the main pool, a great view.This is our fourth visit to cuba all different resorts ,so we know what to expect and so far good food isn't one of them. We were surprized that only the lobby bar had a blender for those type of smoothy drinks, also the bartender there did not know how to make them. Am I being picky ? maybe but its just something we love. The lobby coffe bar made great coffees any type you want and the Spanish coffee before bed were delicious. Wow like all the resorts we have stayed at in varadero the beach was awesome. The pool and all staff were great, thanks to baby,raoul, Emilia and all entertainment people you are awesome people.I cant stress enough people please give tips or anything to these people they really appreciate . I saw Raoul the pool bar waiter bring a tray of beer to the beach with no tip.We also leave most of our shampoos deoderants , tshirts etc. and pick out who gets our small bubbas.This year we gave them to the night security guard on the beach,he and i had some good talks .One story is he loves to run but cannot afford running shoes so he runs to work on the beach bare feet.Thats the way it is there they only make 20-30 dollars a month so anything helps.Like I say food isn't that good so we did find a good Chinese food place in varadero ,its called lai lai, very good. My advise is stick to a 5 star and sorry for my spelling. Love cuba, except for the food.

Room Tip: always fourth floor overlooking pool
  • Stayed: November 2013, travelled with family
Gisell A, Public Relations Manager at Brisas del Caribe Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 19 December 2013

Dear transitman:
Thanks for taking the time to write a review on our hotel, we are very glad that you lived great moments with our staff. is unfortunate that people like you who enjoy your holidays in Cuba, the food is not to your liking. strive to eliminate these gaps over hindering our performance. Once again grateful.

997 - 1,003 of 3,933 reviews

Reviewed 27 November 2013

My partner and I recently stayed at the Brisas for the week of November8-15th. Yes the hotel is old and in need of repair in some areas. Our room was in the main building (the south building is closed in low season). room 301. We had an updated room with a large COLD fridge, flat screen tv and a new dvd player. The bed was not very comfortable and the pillows were a joke. However, our maid was a sweetheart and the room was spotlessly cleaned everyday.

The buffet was your run-of-the-mill not so great Cuban food but we managed to find something we liked every meal.

This hotel had some real good entertainment on the terrace at night and in the lobby.

The beach of course is one of the best in the world and we walked it every day for 1 or 2 hours. Very clean!

This hotel was booked very last minute (3 days before) and we pretty much new what to expect. No surprises.

The people I do want to applaud are firstly-Sunwing Vacations--we had a direct flight, good food during the flight and they do take cash for any purchases you make, including duty free on board which was great. Our Sunwing rep at the hotel Herman was very helpful as well.

Secondly, ALL the staff at the Brisas went out of their way to accommodate us! Everyone from the front desk, lobby bar, dining room, housekeeping, couldn't have asked for better service and this is why I would say that I probably wouldn't return to this hotel but the staff made our stay that much better.

We are used to 5 star resorts but in this case if you are on a budget, definitely give it a chance. And please people don't forget you are only treated as well as you treat others!!!

Room Tip: The main building is close to the pool and beach while the south building is further away and defini...
  • Stayed: November 2013, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Jill C
Gisell A, Public Relations Manager at Brisas del Caribe Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 17 December 2013

Dear Jill C:
We want to thank you for the time you took to post your review. For us is very important, because is the way that we have to feedback the work we have done.

Moreover we also want to thank you for having chosen us to enjoy your holiday reason satisfy us, and forces us to work in different weak points you mentioned in your review. Thank you very much.

Reviewed 25 November 2013

Varadero is a beautiful place the beaches are well maintained.The staff(in certain departments) at Brisas Del Caribe gave us good service the housekeeper who attended to me was amazing her name is Melba she deserves a promotion.The dinning staff showed us good hospitality Geidi,Lazaro,Yonika, gave quality serivice.
The hotel was dreadful the smell of gas in the hallway lingered constantly(this is a health hazard ) and nobody did anything about it.The food was poorly presented and tasted bland "Salad" meant cucumbers cut in 6 different ways sliced,chopped,diced,in pasta,in rice etc.The snack bar was even more dreadful the choices are slim and undesirable .I had to wait a whole day to get my room luckily i had friends who arrived before me .The receptionists are rude and have a nonchalant way of responding.If you book this hotel you will get dissapointed the decor,food,rooms its definatly not a 4 star its more like 2.5.I asked to speak to the manager about these issues but he/she was busy.
DONT BOOK THIS HOTEL.

Room Tip: My friends got a room in the 1st floor it was old and in need of serious maintainance they only got...
  • Stayed: November 2013, travelled with friends
4  Thank GURU G

Dear Guru G:
First of all thank you spent the time to post a review at the same time, we want to apologize because their holiday was not very satisfactory in our facility.
We will recognize and reward workers you mentioned because they are already well recognized and mentioned in other published reviews, with reasons to highlight the good work of these workers will carry out these tasks.
As the same time we will look at every area of ​​our organization that affected your stay at our facility.

Reviewed 25 November 2013

We never thought we could afford an all-inclusive dream resort in the Caribbean, however, we were extremely disappointed by Brisas del Caribe.
The beach is amazing and the evening shows are entertaining. Some of the waiters and bar staff are really friendly. However there were many things that we really did not like.
First of all, the check-in staff is mostly unpleasant and reluctant to give complete information to the guests. At the reception they are completely unhelpfull and the only answers you get are 'yes' or 'no' (mostly 'NO').
Our room on the 4th floor was damp and smelled 'musty'.
The internet service is sold at a premium price (10 $ per hour), but it does not work at all (one hour just to send an email, the most expensive email in my life). When complaining about it, the front-desk did not care at all.
When darkness arrived on the first night, our ensuite bathroom was invaded by cockroaches. Once again the front desk staff did not seem much bothered by our complaint and even seemed surprised about it. The only solution offered was to move to a room at the first floor, where the lady claimed she would expect even more cockroaches to show up! We had to solve the issue ourselves by covering up the sink-hole in the floor with the bin. The cleaning lady did not even have the cleaning product to wash away the dead roaches.
In the lobby there is a post office selling stamps and taking care of mailing the postcards on behalf of the guests, however, the official opening and closing times were really 'flexible' (one day the lady left two hours earlier to never come back!)
On our last day, it was raining really heavily and in the lobby it was raining as well!
As for the guests, sometimes to much freedom is left to the drunken guests almost fighting at the pool bar twice in a day, without the security taking care of it.
To sum up, the worst thing of it all was that the front desk staff did not take into consideration our complaints and even seemed bothered about it.
We would not recommend this hotel to any of our friends visiting Cuba.

• Stayed: November 2013, travelled as a couple
6  Thank Sarandonga15

First of all want to tell you, we feel that you have not been able to fully enjoy your vacation, the hotel management has created a working group to conduct a thorough investigation into all aspects of the way that they affect the development of the tourism operation we have been doing.
Thank you for feedback our job, and for the time that you spent in write this review. We will keep informed.

Reviewed 24 November 2013

My husband and I have been to Brisas del Caribe 8 times. We have even been there during a hurricane and they looked after us superbly.
Employees of the hotel remember returning guests and treat you like family.
The resort is an older one but continual upgrades are being done. Lack of toilet paper in washrooms is a recurring problem, however.

The hotel is one of the smaller ones and everything is within comfortable walking distance.
The beach is superb and garbage that is mentioned in some reviews is caused by lazy guests who do not pick up after themselves.

My husband and I love visiting this resort and will continue to do so.

Room Tip: My husband and I prefer the 3rd or 4th floor as they are quieter. We have always been in the north...
  • Stayed: June 2013, travelled with family
Review collected in partnership with this hotel
3  Thank Marlene S
Gisell A, Public Relations Manager at Brisas del Caribe Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 13 December 2013

Dear Marlene S:
First of all I want to thank you for trusting us to enjoy your holiday really satisfy us! Also satisfies us, by the recognition that you made ​​in your review, we work for you! Thank you!
We are working to improve the weak areas that could affect our work.
We hope to serve again.

Reviewed 24 November 2013

Our second vacation at Brisas del Caribe was in March of 2013. We returned because of the beautiful beach, friendly staff and the competitive rate of this hotel.

Hotel: Check-in at hotel is easy and quick. You are served with a tropical drink at check-in, which is appreciated after a flight and a drive to the hotel. The hotel rooms are basic and a bit tired, but since we don't spend time in our room, it really doesn't matter. It would be nice if the AC were quiet. The first time we were at this resort, we got a room in the South side but asked to be moved in the main building (North). Some guests prefer the rooms in the South section because it's quiet, but we prefer the North side because of its proximity to the beach and the main lobby.

The maids are very friendly--I enjoyed practising my limited Spanish vocabulary with Marta while I taught her a couple of words in French.

Food/Drinks: We always had a good selection at the buffet. Selection was somewhat repetitive but the food was always fresh and tasty. We always had plenty to eat. We had excellent shrimps on the grill for supper one day. I also have to add that their house (Spanish) wine is very good! There is also a specialty coffee bar in the lobby where you'll get any kind of coffee that your heart desires. Service from waitress Mailyng at à la carte restaurant Brisas is exceptional. You will be greeted with a smile and receive great service. Also, Margarita will serve you a drink with a smile at the bar on the patio. We had great service all week from Arielli at the buffet.

Beach: Gorgeous white sandy beach is great for long walks. The water is warm and pleasant for a swim.

Location: Just a short drive from the airport (approx. 30 minutes) and close to the town of Varadero. A taxi ride in a vintage car will cost you around $10 or $5 will get you a pass to get on and off the red bus all day.

If the rating for this hotel is based on a luxurious lobby and rooms and fancy food presentations, then the rating would be 3 stars. I would rate this resort as a 4-star hotel taking into account the beach, the staff, and the security services.

Room Tip: We prefer rooms in the main building because they are closer to the buffet, beach, and lobby. Rooms...
  • Stayed: March 2013, travelled as a couple
4  Thank damivac

dear:
Thank you for your confidence in us again to enjoy your holiday, we are honored with your decision, and the same time we want to thank you for the time you took to post a review like this.
Thanks for highlighting our positive side and we assure you that we are working on the weakest point of our company so that we can provide a better holiday each year to our clients.
Thank you very much for feedback on our work with your opinion. We will inform you of your satisfaction to Arielli and Margarita.
We hope to see you soon.

Reviewed 22 November 2013

A night flight to Cuba left me wondering what beauty I was missing. Upon arrive at the resort a quick and very friendly check in. I have to admit my expectations were quite high and once in the room was very disappointed. The bed Very hard on a sore back after flying for 6 hours. BUT for me waking up in the morning to the beautiful blue sky and the warm air; all the room issues became less important. I wanted to hit the beach! oh what a beautiful site it is. I was in awe at the scenery. My very first time swimming in the ocean....I LOVED IT! We had breakfast and for me absolutely no issues at all. The coffee at the coffee bar was AMAZING, we went directly to the beach; amazing; we had drinks most of the day at the pool side...most amazing bar tenders there; cute too if I do say so! They took very good care of us! After having lunch; and more beach we settled in for dinner; and then some dancing; it was a blast. I had so much fun. We took the jeep safari trip; a double decker bus trip; and also a awesome car ride into town for some market shopping; again wonderful. My husband is diabetic so had some issues with too much rum and not enough food... so spent a couple days in the room not well. I loved our cleaning lady; I left daily gifts for her; she was so thankful; just a gem of a lady. The staff in the dining room was amazing too; always there to set my table; and the pasta chef a real sweetheart too! I felt like royalty..they treated us very well. Over all I have to say the vacation was very good there; we met wonderful people from Calgary and Ontario; always nice to have others to party with; I would go back for sure; my only issue the entire trip if there was one was the beds being very hard!

• Stayed: November 2013, travelled with family
2  Thank wendycurtis563

Dear wendycurtis563:
We are pleased by the confidence placed in us and choose our hotel to enjoy your holiday.
Thanks!!! for the time you spent to publish such a positive review like this really helps us your opinion because this way we can feedback the work we have done.
We will share your review with all the staff, surely much rejoice.
thank you very much and hope to see you again.