“Club Tropical Staff are Bar-None the Best!!!”

Hotel Club Tropical
Ranked #45 of 64 Hotels in Varadero
Reviewed 11 January 2011

Staff were kind and courteous - always a smile and greeting wherever you saw them. Rooms were clean and 60's style. Food was much to be desired! What you didn't eat at supper time, you got the leftovers in some form the next day. Christmas Eve and New Years Eve is the best time to enjoy the food and breads at this Hotel as the staff in the kitchen go 'all out' in pleasing their patrons. The massage was the best i've ever had and is done by a professional and very reasonable. Nightlife sucked - game/music trivia,local Cubans performing etc....

• Stayed: December 2010, travelled with family
1  Thank Bushwoman54

Reviewed 3 August 2010

I have been to this hotel many times and the place just keeps getting worse and worse. The food is terrible and there is very little to eat probably because the employees steal from the hotel and take the food home. Be prepared to eat out at restaurants....bring lots of pesos....
The bar equipment is old and needs to be updated.While I was there the ice machine was broken, hot cola in 35degree heat is not very nice. The beer dispenser was broken and did not work half the time. If you want a drink without alcohol forget it the bartenders are too lazy to make you one so you will drink tang, cola or water. There are two categories of bartenders the best ones are Daniela, Julio and Guillermo they are always happy and friendly some of the others are rude the worst being Pinot he is rude and arrogant. The others if you want service and a friendly smile be prepared to pay it will cost you, you have to have your pesos in hand at all times or service is slow and not friendly. They whisper about the tourists behind our backs they still have not learned a lot of people can understand spanish. This is very rude and not pleasant.

The rooms are old and run down, the bathrooms do not work if it is not the sink that is broken it is the toilet or the shower . The telephones may or may not work. Don't waste your time asking to have something fixed as you will spend a lot of time and energy in the room waiting for MANANA.

The snack bar staff are friendly and always happy.

The hotel was full of cubans now I have nothing against cubans but if you are going to let them stay in the hotel you should first educate them on hotel life. They steal from each other and from the hotel. So the hotel had to stop using glasses and coffee cups the cubans were stealing them. Have you ever had hot coffee in a plastic cup....not very nice believe me. The cubans are pigs in the hotel. They do not pick up after themselves they leave food, plates, cups and junk in the pool and lying around the pool the whole place looks like a pig pen. They spend all day in the pool making hundreds of trips to the bar so there is a steady river of water to the lobby bar but none to the bathrooms...you do the math.

Oh and did I mention the bathrooms have no toilet seats.

The beach is the same as the pool as in July the cubans go to the beach so you will find sanitary napkins, diapers, rum bottles, beer bottles and other junk on the beach and in the water. Oh yes, remember they do not use the bathrooms so the other things floating in the water....well that is really what you think it is.

The beach chairs will cost you 2$ a day, and some of the employees think we tourists are private waiters there to cater to them, they are always asking for beer, rum and sandwiches. They will tell you the hotel does not feed them , this is not true they do get their meals included but they use the sad story that there was nothing to eat. NOT TRUE.

The people at the reception desk are friendly and professional. The massage therapist is very good. The new public relations person (Yosvani) is very professional and takes a genuine interest in the hotel he really wants to improve the hotel. The other person (DENISE) was not interested in improving the hotel she was only interested in getting gifts from the tourists. Any comments you would give here on improving the hotel she just dismissed and gave you a $3 bottle of rum.... not worth the time and effort talking to her.It is time she retired before the hotel is completed empty of tourists.

The hotel says 3* on the side of the building but believe me it is a 1* at the most.
My Advice..Choose another hotel and spend your hard earned money elsewhere and enjoy your vacation.

• Stayed: July 2010, travelled with friends
4  Thank maddy53
Reviewed 12 May 2010

It's good to know in advance that the apartments (bedrooms on the pool side, balcony on the beach side) have two hotel rooms/bedrooms with ensuites, so the kitchen/living room/balcony could be common areas. Also, ours had cockroaches and mosquitoes (I Muskol-ed every night before bed and my partner was on roach guard). We didn't have the hot water problems other reviewers complained about: it was slow to start, but we never had ice cold showers. What we did have was an amazing view with cool breezes right off the ocean.

The pool area does tend to be loud between 11am and 11pm. The evening entertainment was hit and miss - we enjoyed the variety show, water ballet, and Cuban music. The karaoke and "Name that Tune" were atrocious - we left the resort. The music and the resort seem to cater to the Quebec crowd. Still, some of the staff were attentive or equally distant to all guests.

The food was also hit and miss. Three or four kinds of fruit, breads, salads, carbs, meats, and a variety of coconut- and guava-flavoured desserts. The breakfast egg station was great, and the lunch pasta station was okay. There was also a snack bar that served two or three kinds of toasted sandwiches. We never used the beach bar because it was never open when we were on the beach. The lobby bar was good - some of the staff were great and didn't water down the drinks.

Being in town was great. Other resorts are very isolated, and require a bus or taxi to get to town. We were walking distance from one of the three artisan markets, the Viazul bus station, the bank, and many other conveniences.

As it was our first trip to Cuba we have nothing else to compare it to, but we understand about the shortages. Bring your own toilet paper (theirs is the texture of paper towel). Overall, it was a cheap hotel with a great beach. If we hadn't had the apartment with the view (and that all to ourselves - the other room was empty), our rating for the hotel would be lower. As it was, we felt we got a good deal.

• Stayed: May 2010, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 30 April 2010

This is a hotel I've considered staying in for a few years now. I know people that have stayed there and gone back,so thought I'd give it a try. A bit of background about me, it was my 13th trip to Cuba in 4 years,and my 10th to Varadero.This was the 6th hotel in Varadero I've tried,and had the lowest star rating...

Sunwing
We booked with beatmyquote.ca and I paid $804 for a single taxes in from Halifax,so not a bad deal.Only a $40 single supplement,so my travelling companions paid $764 each.
We flew Sunwing from Halifax on April 17-24th,arriving in Halifax in the early hours of April 25,2010. Flights were less than an hour late in each direction. I paid $80 extra for Elite Plus which meant I could take an additional 10kg of weight,have priority check in in Halifax (the special line had to wait longer than the others,it was disgusting!!),then got to board the plane early and had 6 inches more leg room. If the seats were also wider,that would be more than helpful.......Other than the woman who checked me in (and who wanted to argue that my carry on was too big, it wasn't), I was very pleased with the Sunwing employees. Had a Montreal crew going to Varadero and a TO based crew coming back........Loved the meals,had chicken divan on the way,and shepherd's pie on the way back. Enjoyed the champagne and the French Cross wine,and they served original Clamato juice,which I love. Movie down was Blindside,coming back the Chipmunks,the Squeakwel. So overall,very pleased with the Sunwing experience and would fly them again, but wish they had a bigger baggage allowance without having to pay $$......Met the Sunwing rep once at the hotel,she was there for 45 minutes a day about 3 times a day....She was very pleasant and knowledgeable!

Arrival at hotel
We were the only 3 from a full flight of 189 passengers who had chosen this resort, so got dropped off about 11pm to the hotel. I'd emailed the hotel previously with rooms requests but they said they didn't receive it,so got the opposite of all we'd asked for. There are no rooms on ground floor, so we'd asked to be just one floor up (got 2 floors up-no elevators),asked for 1 double bed in each room (both got rooms with 2 single beds),and asked for rooms to be nearby (same floor but at opposite ends of hotel). A bellboy helped us to our room. I gave him 2 CUC,he then helped my friends and when they handed him 1 CUC, he held out his hand for more........Welcome to Cuba!!

My Room
My room was 1202 and as stated,I had to climb 5 flights of stairs to get to it, only 3 flights for first floor.....There are 3 floors here. I would have coped better with 1st floor, the extra 2 flights were really a bit much,and I can't even imagine being on the 3rd floor. I had a lovely view of the pool,and when coming out my room door, a great view of the beach. The room was old and worn,but I found it to be very cozy,and really liked it. It was the only room on that floor that had a deadbolt,so I had to lock it with key when I came out.Other rooms had one where you pushed knob in........I rented the safe for 2 CUC per day,and got a 15CUC deposit back when I checked out. The big long pillows weren't to my satisfaction so got a regular one from maid and that was just fine. Not sure that the sheets were ever changed all week,but can't swear to it.... No fridge in room upon arrival but made the request and one arrived the next morning. The A/C kept cutting out and I had to restart it every once in awhile but overall, a good system . Never had any trouble with hot water in the stand up shower, and I showered in early am,or different times of day. Could have used more toilet paper.........The sink backed up and man plunged it out for me (lots of black ants came up),but after that,it was great and no more problems. Toilet worked well, as did TV and all lights. The 2 single beds were comfortable enough, so really I did like my room. Did have to remove my closet doors as they wouldn't open well,so took them off and left them off for the duration of my stay. Lots of hangers and an umbrella was also a nice touch,although I never needed it. The TV had CNN, an Edmonton feed of CTV,and some movie /sports channels in English,worked well.

The hotel grounds,etc

The lobby is nicely decorated and you step right in off the street and there you are. It's a small hotel so very easy to find your way around. Once you come down from your room,you're only a minute or 2 to the buffet LA FUERTE or to the beach. There is a small swimming pool I swam in once and enjoyed. There is a massage place and there you can get books or magazines to read as you wish. Saw a kid's club but never saw any kids around it,so don't know if it's operating or not. Overall,very pleasant grounds and they're kept clean and tidy,including the beach! 2 bathrooms around the resort so you don't need to return to your room,and a 24 hour bar is always a bonus!

Staff
I found the majority of the staff to be very pleasant including the waiters , bar staff and the workers on the beach. One hotel employee is selling cigars and black coral while working,but what can you say.......I politely told him no and he didn't bother me again!
Those at the front desk I have mixed comments about........One woman was giving less than the posted allowance for currency exchange saying it was lower than posted, then when you agreed on the lower amount,she gave less than that, not good at all! I spoke with the Public Relations person a couple of times and overall,didn't feel she made me feel that welcome ,or my return visits that necessary......On one occasion when she came to see me briefly in the dining room, I was told she was "with clients" when I asked for an email address..........And I am what if not a client? And,the review about her shrugging her shoulders when a problem arose............I witnessed the same behavior...Was given a new email address to email the hotel,and my reply,yet again,has been nothing !! I think some customer service lessons and how to treat people might be a good thing for some of these front end staff !! A little respect for the clients goes a long way.... Overall, I was very happy with virtually all staff as I said, except for those mentioned above!

The guests at Club Tropical
There were 13 lovely people from the Czech Republic who were stranded for 3 extra days due to the volcanic ash problem. There were a nice mix of people at the hotel, the majority being French Canadians from Quebec,so I was often addressed in French by hotel staff who made the assumption......... There were some from the rest of Canada, Slovakia, Bosnia-Herz,Holland and likely other places,including some Cubans ,mostly on the weekend. All hotel guests were respectful of each other and it was a pleasure for me to be in the company of each and every one of them, not one was a problem!

The weather
I consider that we had perfect weather. Only one night when we were at supper did we have rain and a thunder and lightning storm, and it didn't last long.......Every day was likely mid 80's and I got a good tan and in my opinion,the weather was just right. In 13 trips to Cuba,we've had great weather 12/13 times,so can't complain about that !!

The beach
Wow,wonderful, just a little step or 2 down to get to beach,but among the nicest I've seen in Varadero,although it's all the same beach,and all lovely. There were some shells if you're a shellseeker, a Volleyball net,rarely used, and lots of chairs there,never a shortage as there was usually not many on the beach.2 types of chairs to choose from,the normal lounger and the one where you're almost right on beach, a bit hard to get in/out of but fun to try! There was a beach bar but only open on Thursday,Friday and Saturday when we were there.The bartender was very nice and he made wonderful pina coladas! Cubans were on beach on either side of the hotel which added flavor and fun,and I enjoyed watching them kitesurf and have fun,along with their dogs and such it added a lot of enjoyment to my days of just looking at a few tourists !!

Just as I would never make a comparison of the food in the Dominican to the food in Cuba,neither will I do so between a larger hotel in Cuba and this hotel. It would simply not be fair........I will instead tell you what I enjoyed: the omelettes at brekkie (not every day,but most), the freshly squeezed orange juice in the machine, the icecream, 1 flavor each evening, guess that about covers it, oh yeah,the potato chips that were there a few times. Somtimes the bananas were pretty good too!
Here's a food tip: if you ever see a pat of butter in a wrapper,hoard them and take them to your room,as butter was very scarce when we were there,then bring to your meals. I knew what the food was like before I went there,and it was as described. When you pay a low price,you can eat out more should you wish to.
I will however say that I never left the buffet hungry and there was always something,so really a person shouldn't complain much. The chefs try their best and it is a small hotel,so it's like cooking for a big family,just not a lot of variety like if you were in a larger hotel......Very nice wait staff there,and they work long hours.I did not see one tip left the entire week,not one!!

Evening Entertainment
Again,things are on a smaller scale here so they have 2 dancers rather than a troupe,and smaller scale shows,but they try hard. I didn't enjoy the Friday nite Casino nite but there best show by far was the Tuesday nite water ballet which we were very fortunate to see. I believe they have the water ballet every 2nd Tuesday. It was a Cuban theme,and most enjoyable. The variety show with the magician Nelson was interesting..........Next time,I think I'd opt out of most of their entertainment although if you stay in your room,you'll still hear it!! They play music all day long there,and it's hard to escape it for most of the day! But,at the beach,you don't hear it!!

Other points I wish to make:
They have a special grill luncheon once a week.I thought it was Friday but it was on Wednesday so I missed it.........Heard from my friends who went that it was good,so I'm sorry I wasn't there, looks like I missed the best lunch of the week.
There is a snack bar that serves hot dogs and assorted sanwiches and I enjoyed the hot dog I had there.They also have ham and cheese,pasta,and another kind so that makes another good lunch option if you're not up to the buffet!

Overall vibe and best reason to stay here:

To sum up, this is a hotel where I would consider returning if the price was right. I was really pleased overall (despite the above comments) and it does have a lot to offer.Most importantly for me,and why I would stay here again,would be the location location location. For me,it's in a perfect spot and just where I want to be, near the ETECSA office on Calle 30 (that's an internet spot and where you buy phone cards),and a great number of affordable restaurants that are cheaper at this end of town than the other end.I'm going to review a lot of restaurants separately so just click on dogsrule to see what other reviews I've written,including the other hotels I've stayed in in Cuba.

If you want to be in town,get a great price,don't mind steps and food that isn't the best in the world,then give it a shot. I think you'll enjoy it,and I don't think people should be complaining about things like food which really are beyond the resort's control.Customer service however is within their control,and this could certainly be cleaned up ..Treating people fairly is a basic human principal ...

If you decide to go and have any questions,just let me know. I'm more than happy to talk to you about my experience which was overall, a most positive one!!

Enjoy,
dogsrule

• Stayed: April 2010, travelled with friends
11  Thank dogsrule
Reviewed 25 April 2010

I liked this hotel it was simple, the people working there are great, they take care of the buffet and the hotel in general.

Room:

No hot water for the shower, that was not so fun but this was the only negative thing i see

No hairdryer, no fridge, bring a thing to hold your soap when you are in the shower.

The air conditioned functioned well.
Great room if you take the pool sight up the bar... I went to see the "ocean view" room but i was not impressed by the room, yes Great view of the beach of course.

A maid knocked on my door and opened even if i put the sign "do not disturb" grrr I am lucky i was only taking my shower and not doing someting else lol

That's about it for the room, it was confortable, i had a great view, chair confortable on the balcony also.

BAR:

That's a good thing, it's open 24 hours a day lol great service but sometimes only a bar tender for 10 persons but we are on vacation right? no stress

The coffee at the bar was great.

SNACK BAR:

ham and cheese, hamburger, hot dog and also drinks from 11ham to 5pm. It was good.

THE POOL:

Small but nice, kids loved to play in the pool and also the adult for the volleyball. Ah and also the Cubans tourist takes a lot of space, and they are loud, and eat like they never eat in their life in the buffet.

BUFFET:

The personel clean the table fast, they take care of the person but often i have to go to have a drink alone.

I was surprised with the food, yes a lot of rice, fish, chicken, and pork... also salad, fruit... And that was good!

The buffet place smell good no bad odor like other resort i went.

No coffee at the buffet, only hot water and tea.

The breakfast was good the omelette, pancakes..

THE BEACH:

Magnifique, near near the hotel... No music or animation at the beach but we can hear music of the pool. Now i prefer the sound of the waves.

THE TOILET NEAR THE POOL AND RECEPTION:

They were clean and smelled good.

ENTERTAINMENT:

The night there was show, each day was different, i remember thusday was the aquatic show, very good. Ha also only around 25 chairs for the show, so it is a very intimate show... not so big

IN GENERAL

NO elevator (dont worry the guy for the luggage will go up your luggage) He putted mine over his shoulder wow and it was heavy!

I am very happy of the stay, very relaxing except the music ALL DAY until 11hpm .. the people working there make all posible to make our stay very good.

It's not the biggest hotel (the day there's not a lot of people at the beach neither at the pool) but people were doing their little thing, walking downtown... and seamed really happy.

Again it depends of witch kind of vacation you want, maybe it's not for you if you like the big resort with big service... But if you want a clean, familial and simple hotel that's the place. Anyway that's my new destination for the price you eat and drink like a pig!

Bon rapport qualité prix, je comprend pas pourquoi le monde chiâle!

For me that was a bargain and it was only a 3 stars i think.. You can believe me i tried a couple of hotel.... for a 3 stars that's the place.

Stayed: April 2010, travelled solo
2  Thank montrealtraveler
Reviewed 17 April 2010

To echo what many other reviewers have had to say: this is Cuba. This is a poor country and there are a lot of shortages - from milk to toilet paper to a wide variety of food. This is not Las Vegas. Even the five star resorts are not what you'd expect them to be in other countries.

But the beaches in Varadero are beautiful; the town is picturesque; the markets offer plenty of souvenir options; the beer is cheap and you can usually find decent (and relatively inexpensive) meals in restaurants in town. The 'downtown' location of Club Amigo Tropical is great for anyone who would prefer to get out, walk around and have a bit more of an authentic Cuban experience than what you would experience if you stayed in one of the isolated resorts at the far end of the peninsula.

BUT...this is definitely not a luxurious resort. It is small. The rooms are dark, drab, and dreary. The showers are grungy. The sheets and blankets are threadbare. The mattresses are very thin.

The music around the pool (with speakers sometimes dragged out to the beach area) blares at a very high volume from about 11:00 a.m. till 11:00 p.m. or midnight. There is no quiet corner to which to escape and relax. Good luck getting a good night's sleep.

High winds knocked a lot of branches and leaves into the pool while we were there and the staff never bothered to remove them. Beach chairs around the pool and on the beach were cheap, dirty plastic; many were broken. Front desk staff were nice enough but the bar staff tended to ignore the clients - even those that tipped. Beer was served in flimsy, small plastic glasses; the mixed drinks weren't very good; wine usually wasn't available and the scotch was undrinkable. Bring your own duty free wine and hard liquor with you. The 'entertainment' was a joke: bingo, music-related quizzes and, for a special treat (sic), karaoke led by a tired entertainer dressed up as a cowboy who sang offkey.

Apart from the ping pong table and pool table, there was little for the teenagers to do on-site - with the exception of the sole pay-as-you-go computer next to the bar and an 'exercise' room.

And no, you don't visit Cuba for the food, but this buffet was poorer than most - although there was an omelette bar at breakfast, and the bread and butter was delicious. Get a coffee from the espresso machine at the bar; the coffee machine in the buffet restaurant serves up a watery instant mix. Bring your own peanut butter, jam, seasonings and condiments. None is available here. After two days, we had dinner at restaurants in town every night. Speaking of restaurants, there is suppose to be a 'restaurant' on site which might have been a welcome change from the dreary buffet, but we gave up asking about it after being told - three days in a row - that it was closed. We never did find out why. Hop on the double decker bus and go to 'Kinko' (Kinki?), an Italian restaurant that serves terrific pizza, pasta and excellent red wine. Excellent value for your money.

If you're on a budget, are a night owl, come well prepared (I'd also suggest bringing your own coffee mug for coffee from the bar) and luck out with weather that allows you lots of beach time, this might be the perfect place for you. But overall, I found this to be a depressing place to stay. I regretted not paying a couple of hundred dollars more and going to a better resort.

• Stayed: February 2010, travelled with family
Reviewed 5 April 2010

i never been anywhere outside of canada and our resort made it ten times worse gay people arent welcome the service was bad we had to get friend we made to get us drinks no one would serve us the short bartender if you go up to try everytime he looks at you dose this retarded thing that means god will not save your soul you surg it off but you would get annoyed of it a million times a day we made great friends the food was bad our hunnymoon swreet what we payed more money for was the crappy part of the hotel it made me feel like i was in a prison we got no money back for our towels and they took them so bring your own or your out 10 peasos for one towel our tolet was broken our room had hot water once in te weekour friends we met had broken beds the try to nail you for anything if it involes money like a cup you soend a dollar for the charge ten peasos the snack bar was bad they try to cut you off even if your not drinking the front desk dosent try to help you the human relations person strugges her shoulders they charged a person with c.p cant use his arms they said he took two ashtrays and smashed two tables at the same time when they just had enough a shattered because the humitany got extermly high and he got nailed 200 peasos and they try to shut off the lights on everyone at 12 or when they feel like it and our hotel was the only one that closed the beach and the guards wait for the girls to get drunk enough

• Stayed: March 2010, travelled as a couple