This is a beautiful resort. Overall, it was a fantastic week, with a few hitches.
The food here is really, really good. Dinners at Il Lemoncello and Arcada were great: good food and excellent service. Take the 7 o'clock reservation at Lemoncello on the beach deck for sunset - it will be a trip highlight. The hotel buffet is good, with made-to-order options at every meal, and decent selection. Housekeeping was excellent. Room service was ok, and convenient. We were in a bungalow, so pickup of the dirty dishes would have been nice.
Drinks on the hotel veranda in the evening were a lovely end to the day. Service on the veranda ranged from frustratingly absent to good.
The shows are fun, and there are tons of activities if you're looking to be active. I liked the beach fashion show, and the bands playing beside the beach grill.
The beach is great. We were lucky and had calm seas every day but one. The water was warm, almost hot at times.
The catamaran cruise day trip was great - definitely worthwhile.
The little mall up the street is handy. There's a grocery/liquor store, cigars, and clothes/swimwear in case you've forgotten something.
The beds are awful. The mattresses are extremely hard, and have a rubbery covering that makes noise every time you move. You can make up the sleep napping on the beach, but that should be optional, not necessary.
The service at lunchtime in the restaurant beside the pool wasn't just bad - it was rude. This is a complete downer in the middle of a vacation day. We didn't bother going back any dinnertimes, as a repeat performance was just not the kind of mood we were looking for.
Despite billing this as an adults-only resort, there were a few kids around. Sorry, but this should not be allowed. If you're looking for a family resort, go to a family resort. If you're looking for a week of quiet, you should be able to trust that the rules will be applied.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Meliá Las Américas is the premier Golf Resort in Cuba and it is also the only one with direct access to The Varadero Golf Club. Located on The Varadero Peninsula, a tropical paradise jutting into the clear waters of the Caribbean on Cuba’s northern coats. Poised between the beach and championship golf course, the 5-star hotel is an upscale all inclusive adults only (over 18 years). ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Hotels.com, LoveHolidays, Booking.com, Holiday Gems, Travel Republic (UK), TripOnline SA, HotelsClick, Traveltool, S.L.U. and Evoline ltd so you can book your Melia Las Americas reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Melia Las Americas Hotel Varadero
- Melia Hotel Varadero
- Melia Hotel Las Americas
- Melia Las Americas Varadero