“Paradise.”
Review of Melia Las Americas

Melia Las Americas
Ranked #5 of 64 Hotels in Varadero
Reviewed 15 August 2013

Our group of 6 friends stayed at Melia Las Americas from August 3rd to 10th, 2013. As none of us had ever visited Cuba before, we did as much preparation as possible before we arrived. After months of looking up which resort to stay at, we decided on Melia Las Americas because it is an adults-only resort - a factor that definitely made our stay THAT much better. Once our vacation was finalized and booked, we emailed the hotel manager to request a few specific things, including renovated bungalow rooms (which we did not end up getting but which was fine all the same - see below) and late checkout for one of the 3 rooms. He was very kind and accommodated my requests as best as possible, so I definitely recommend getting in touch with the hotel manager before your trip if there are any questions or requests that you may have. Now, on to our actual stay ...

Hotel:
One word: paradise. The grounds are immaculate and the staff are very kind and welcoming. The maids serviced our room each day, making lovely towel animals for us to come back to. The drinks in the fridge were also refilled every day (1 big bottle of water, 3 cans of pop and 2 bottles of beer), which was very important for us when it came time to excursions. The beach is less than 500 feet from any part of the hotel and is absolutely beautiful, with clean sand and crystal blue water. Because August is low season, both the pools and the beach were relatively quiet, and there were more than enough pool (and beach) chairs to go around. The pool by the bungalows is the only pool with a swim-up bar, but the other pools near the lobby have bars that are only a couple of steps away. There were nightly shows put on in the theatre by the dance and entertainment crew, and while most nights focussed on specific types of dancing (i.e., Cuban dancing, ballet, etc.), Friday night's show was by FAR the most entertaining. The theme was disco/retro night, and the crew performed dances (some of them very hilarious!) to popular english songs. Julio, the entertainment coordinator, does such a fantastic job promoting these shows - he dresses up in ridiculous outfits every night and walks around reminding people to attend. Keep an eye out for him - he is a great guy and definitely a sight to see!

Rooms:
The 6 of us stayed in three separate bungalow rooms that were less than a 30 second walk from each other. These bungalow rooms were MUCH bigger than we had expected - there was a living room with a single and a three-seater couch as well as a coffee table, a dining area with a round dining table that sat 4, a small kitchen area with cupboards and a sink, a bathroom with a toilet and a bidet, and a very large bedroom with two queen beds pushed together. We were also on the second level so we had a large balcony with two chairs and a table - not something we used much as we were rarely in the rooms, but something nice to have if you wanted to relax outside in your own private space. The a/c worked well and was such a welcome relief after a long day in the Cuban sun. As I stated above, we had asked for renovated rooms but were placed in non-renovated rooms when we arrived. This did not phase us much as we were already very happy with the rooms we got, and honestly speaking, it didn't matter much whether we got nicer TVs or an electronic safe rather than a lock and key safe. The beds were pretty decent as far as hotel beds go and the pillows provided good neck support. I had no problem falling asleep in the beds, although one of our friends did complain on a couple occasions that the bed was hurting his back. As these things come down to personal preference it's hard to please all guests, but I thought the beds did their job as I was always refreshed the next day!

Food:
The main buffet is situated in the lobby area and serves a wide assortment of food. The selection can be repetitive at times, but it is important to remember that they must mass produce this food and serve upwards of 400 guests a night! The pasta bar is definitely something I highly recommend - I frequented this station up to 4 or 5 times a day! Juan Carlos was my favourite pasta chef. He remembered me after only one visit, and we became fast friends from then on. The buffet also has a made-to-order meat and fish station, with a chef cooking a large assortment of fish and meats to your liking. On top of the fact that I am not a big meat or fish eater, I found that the meats and fish were often overcooked, so I only visited this station once or twice during my stay.
Upon check-in to the hotel, we were given three tickets that told us what a-la-carte restaurants we were to eat at on what day and at what time. In past all-inclusive hotels that I've stayed at, I have always been allowed to choose what, where and when I wanted to eat when it came to the a-la-cartes, so this was a bit of a change. It would have been nice if we were allowed to pick the restaurants ourselves, but in the end it didn't really matter too much. We ended up eating at the International restaurant first, which was a quaint restaurant with mediocre food. My favourite part of the restaurant was the string quartet - it was absolutely wonderful to have beautiful, live music accompany our dinner! We ate at Il Limoncello (the Italian restaurant) second, and out of the three a-la-cartes this restaurant had the best food. We opted to go for the tasting menu so we could try a bit of everything, but because most of the guys in our group are big eaters, the tasting menu didn't offer enough food to fill us up. The restaurant is right beside the beach and on nice days, all the widows are wide open, giving the restaurant a peaceful atmosphere. The last a-la-carte we went to was the seafood restaurant, which was by FAR the worst food we ate our entire trip. The appetizers were extremely fishy, the tuna and lobster were dry, and the menu was a set menu with no choices. The only thing I ate that meal was the little cake for dessert, so needless to say we visited the buffet after that a-la-carte. All in all, the a-la-carte restaurants were pretty disappointing - I was definitely expecting more, but the buffet more than made up for the a-la-carte food!

Excursions:
We went on three excursions and thoroughly enjoyed them all. We booked them through our Hola Sun representative and paid her in Canadian dollars. She gave us the same exchange rate as the hotel (1CAD to 0.90CUC), which was helpful since at that time we hadn't had time to exchange our Canadian dollars into CUC yet.
Catamaran & Dolphins - This excursion was a must for me, as I have always wanted to do a dolphin excursion! The catamaran takes you out to a dolphin enclosure in the middle of the ocean, and you get to touch the dolphin, watch it do tricks, let it kiss you, and take a picture with it. You can also swim with the dolphin for an extra 10CUC - looking back at it, I wish I had paid the money to do it. They deliver the pictures to you at the hotel and you can buy them for another 10CUC. Our pictures turned out amazing (my friend and I did one each individually with the dolphin and a third picture together with the dolphin), so we bought all three. This excursion also takes you snorkelling (which isn't as good as the jeep safari snorkelling, but we did get to keep the snorkel as a souvenir!) and to a white sand beach for lunch. We had a fabulous time, with the open bar on the catamaran topping it all off!
Jeep Safari - The first thing to know about this excursion is that you MUST have someone in your jeep that knows how to drive standard! It is 4 people per jeep, and we were lucky that one (and only one) of us in our group of friends knew how to operate a standard car. The remaining two of us were paired up with a couple from Chile who, luckily, were pro at driving stick shift, so we didn't have to worry. The jeep safari takes you into some serious off-roading ... and by serious, I mean unpaved roads in the middle of a random fields with pot holes the size of craters! As part of the excursion, we got to drive speed boats down a long river below the tallest bridge in Cuba (incredible amounts of fun as I have never personally driven a speed boat before), visit an old coffee plantation for lunch, do some horseback riding (or bull riding, if you prefer), snorkel in the most beautiful coral reef, and swim in a natural freshwater pool inside a cave. We also got a picture taken during the snorkelling session which we bought for another 10CUC. This excursion is definitely more for those who are active and/or enjoy adrenaline rushes - one of my favourite excursions of all time!
Havana - Our tour operator suggested that we do a private tour of Havana, since we were a group of 6 and could easily fit into a van. We gladly took her advice, and let me tell you, it is DEFINITELY the way to go if you want to visit Havana. We had our own private car, driver, and tour guide, and we spent a lovely day visiting the tallest bridge in Cuba from the top, as well as both modern and old Havana. Our tour guide was a student at the University of Matanzas by the name of Chabely Prado, and she did a wonderful job. She was incredibly kind and knowledgeable, and catered our tour to what we wanted to see. In brief, we visited Revolution Square, Capitol City, a cigar store where we were able to purchase cigars and liquor, a flea market in modern Havana where we got all our souvenir shopping done, the streets and churches of old Havana, and a coffee shop to purchase some famous Cuban coffee. Chabely booked us a reservation at a traditional Cuban restaurant, and though the food was good it wasn't included in the amount we paid for the excursion. It was a long day of walking so we took advantage of the 2 hour ride back to Varadero to relax. Definitely a worthwhile excursion!

A few helpful tips:
- Exchange your money at the airport if you can! They have the best rates (1CAD to 0.98CUC) versus the hotel (1CAD to 0.90CUC) and the bank at the strip mall just beside the hotel (1CAD to 0.92CUC).
- The bungalows are a pretty far walk from the main area of the hotel. If you foresee this as a problem, ask the manager to situate you closer to the lobby, if possible. If not, go for an oceanview room - I've been told that they are just as nice, though not as spacious.
- The 24 hour snack bar is a great spot, and where a few of our friends spent most of their nights. Amelio is a great bartender (he makes the best hot chocolates!).
- For the younger folks that want to enjoy the Varadero night life, the dance/entertainment crew often go out to the local clubs after the show. We went to Havana club with them one night and they helped us hail taxis and bargain with the taxi drivers. Also check out The Cave - we didn't get to go there this time, but we've heard amazing things about it!

All in all, we had an extremely wonderful vacation. We would most definitely recommend this resort to anyone visiting Varadero, but just beware that it will set the bar pretty high for anywhere else you stay!

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled with friends
12  Thank PaNic248
MLAGeneralManager, General Manager at Melia Las Americas, responded to this reviewResponded 16 August 2013

Dear Valued Guest,

We thank you immensely for taking the time to share your experience with others and for your kind comments about our resort and the service we provide. It is nice to read that you describe our hotel as a paradise and you enjoyed a wonderful vacation.

I would like to reassure you that your comments were analyzed very thoroughly as it is only by a careful study of our clients' reports and suggestions that we can correct possible deficiencies and improve our standards of service. I’m offering my sincere apologies for not meeting your expectations regarding the flavour or way to cook of some of the dishes that you didn’t find to your liking, although they are prepared to satisfy the varied tastes of our clientele.

I am very pleased to know that you found our staff king and welcoming. We will gladly let them know about your kind comments.

We will be honoured to greet you personally during your next visit.
Kind regards,

Reviewed 14 August 2013

We had an amazing vacation and we did enjoyed a lot..The staffs was very pleasant and our room caretaker at room 4313 was surprised us everyday with towel designed on our bed like swan, heart,flower and boat.Her name is JULIA, and the funny ever name JULIO the clown...we love him so much. Daylin in the buffet restaurant served us with the smile.

We will sure comeback in this hotel ..Gracias

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Las-Gem

Dear Valued Guest,

Comments like yours are definitely pleasant to read. Thank you for letting us know that you had a fantastic vacation and you enjoyed it a lot.

We are also happy to know that our staff, whom we are very proud of, make you feel so welcomed.
We look forward to have the opportunity to welcome you back anytime soon.

Reviewed 14 August 2013

What more could you ask for than an all inclusive where the staff are friendly and efficient and you can relax on one of the most beautiful beaches in the world! 10 of us went on a golf and beach trip to Melia Las Americas. My husband and I have been there before (twice) and were anxious for our friends to experience Cuba in the summer when its hot, humid and amazing (because we love the breeze on the beach and golf course). Thanks to the new General Manager at Las Americas we were able to get the rooms we wanted (our only complaint was the mix up in requests for rooms upon our arrival, despite the fact that we emailed ahead of time). We love the ocean views, while our friends loved the bungalows. We recommend this resort to anyone who values atmosphere, friendliness, comfort and fun over high end cost and fussy surroundings. We will go again and again!

Room Tip: Ocean view, third or 4th floor.
  • Stayed: August 2013, travelled with friends
2  Thank Laurie R

Dear Valued Guest,
I would like to express my most sincere appreciation for your comments regarding the hotel and our wonderful beach. The greatest motivation for us is to know that you were pleased with our service.
I am glad to read that you found our staff friendly and efficient. We will be very pleased to pass them your gentle opinions as comments like yours motivate them to improve the quality of the services they provide.

I hope to have the honor of meeting you in your fourth visit to Melia Las Americas soon.
Cordial greetings,

Reviewed 13 August 2013

I would like to share my experience at Hotel Las Americas.

The food was descent for Cuban standards. We had selection, choice and variety. One suggestion that I have; I suffer from a seafood allergy which can be deadly and at times at the buffet, the seafood was mixed with meat and this can cause cross contamination, thus I always stayed away from that section. It would be more safe and efficient to place all seafood in one food station as I don't believe I was the only guest with this allergy.

As an Italian, I enjoy my espresso in the morning and the espresso from the lobby was watery just like an Americano, this was a problem for me. However, at the beach bar, the espresso was prepared perfectly. A+

Beach entertainment was amazing. Everyday was a different activity which was organized and fun. It was never boring and this made the vacation fun. The beach entertainers should be rewarded for their efforts to entertain all the guest in different languages. A+

With regards to the menu at the Italian Restaurant, it should be revised as upon ordering food, it was not accurate. Apparently, they have food on this menu which has not been available for months.

Location, landscaping, layout A+

Rooms and bathrooms should be renovated

The General Manager at Las Americas Hotel was available, cordial, respectful and always listening to our opinions. I traveled in several places and this was the first time that I saw the General Manager actually interested in what the guests had to say. A+

I would recommend this hotel to friends and family and I would go back to this hotel.

Room Tip: Bungalow: for peace and quiet!
  • Stayed: August 2013, travelled as a couple
4  Thank CatiaAli A
MLAGeneralManager, General Manager at Melia Las Americas, responded to this reviewResponded 17 August 2013

Dear Valued Guest,

It is nice to read that you found one week stay is not enough to enjoy our hotel and services. We thank you very much for taking the time to share your experience at Meliá Las Américas with others.

I am delighted to know that you like beach entertainment and found their program organized and fun. We will gladly inform them about your nice comments as they will give them confidence to increase the quality of their daily services.

I would like to reassure you that your comments were analyzed very thoroughly as it is only by a careful study of our clients' reports and suggestions that we can correct possible deficiencies and improve our standards of service. We will keep on working hard to upgrade our quality to meet all our guests´ expectations.

I look forward to welcoming you back to Melia Las Americas once more.

Reviewed 13 August 2013

At the end of July, this resort is fairly quietand mostly couples . You can swim at the beach without too many people, relax on the lounge chairs pretty peacefully at either end of the property or more lively by the beach bar (some snacks here too). The beach is very clean, the waters crystal blue on bright sunny days. There was only one afternoon of rain and a few short bursts on a couple of other days. As for the pools, there are 2 areas with an upper and lower pool. One is by the main entrance, with a grill (where Irmita will greet you with a smile!) and bar right next to it. This bar didn't have much beer on hand but the bartender (Raul) makes awesome mixed drinks.The other is surrounded by the bungalows, with the lower pool facing the beach. There was a swim up bar but not much on offer (probably due to lower season).

In terms of food: there is the buffet in the main building that serves a good selection of meats, fish, salad items (minus the atual lettuce), cooked vegetables, cheeses and cold cuts, deserts for lunch/dinner. There's a pasta bar (but you have to spruce it up yourself with items from the buffet) and a grill where you can have your meats/fish done the way you like. Breakfast has a good selection of fruits, fresh warmish juices, meats, eggs, pancakes, etc and a made to order egg bar. The Japanese restaurant is ok, a set menu that is quite salty but the sushi is good. The Italian is small on portions if you don't go for the "tasting menu" which is a bit of everything on the menu, the International restaurant is by far the best in terms of taste and portion size. There is also a seafood restaurant that I didn't book. You are only allowed to select 3 a la carte restaurants for a 1 week stay. Try the chicken or tuna sandwich in the lounge bar if you need a snack, open 24 hours. The grill restaurant by the pool is open for lunch, has enough on the menu to meet a varied taste.

As for beverages, there is a bar in the main lobby, a lounge in the main building, a pool bar near the main bulding, a swim up bar at the bungalow pools and a beach bar. All those out of the main building close around 6. There is a nice patio outside of the main building facing the beach, 24 hours service from the lounge.

Entertainment is excellent in the lounge bar and the international restaurant. There is also a duet in the italian restaurant, quite good. The nightly entertainment group is probably one of the best I've seen in a resort. Check out the musicals night! Julio the "showman" is a crowd pleaser! You never know what outfit he'll be dressed up in. Another option is the Buena Vista Social Club (22 pesos) at the Plaza las Americas, an hour and half of fun Cuban jazz.

Rooms in the main building are updated and kept very clean, cheers to the 2nd floor cleaning staff -- always smiling! Some face the caribbean side, some face the atlantic side. The bungalows are a bit further out from the main building. Some are outdated and some are updated, make sure you ask for an updated one as the outdated ones are truly 70's style. Some bungalows are closer to the mall than the main buildings. I stayed in one the first night in the 6300 series and found it too far, although the beach is accessible from every section. A mini bar is stocked with pop, beer and bottled water in the rooms.

I had no bad experiences here at all. If I were to say there was a downside, it is that other than the main building, the resort is not very accessible to those with mobility issues. Alot of stairs and steep ramps (made for carting things rather than wheelchairs). These stairs get very slippery after a rain. A room in the Main building is best in these circumstances, the beach is reached by stairs in any direction or a series of ramps a longer way around.

If you feel like leaving the resort, take a day trip by arranging a private taxi to Havana and skip the artisan market by spending more time in the old centre. Have a daiquiri in the Floridita (Ernest Hemingway's local), Another option is a dinner at Raul's (bartender at the pool bar) new restaurant about 30 minutes outside the resort by taxi. Very yummy ribs! A firend also raved about the catamaran trip.

All of the staff I encountered are great, from the reception, bartenders, servers, cleaning staff, bellmen, gardeners, entertainers and the beach staff. I would come back here if I ever returned to Cuba.

• Stayed: July 2013, travelled with friends
2  Thank 45-nomad

Dear valued guest,
Receive our thanks for sharing your experiences at Meliá Las Américas and for your kind comments about our Hotel and our services.
It pleases me very much to read that you enjoyed your visit and found all our Staff great. Your comments will be transmitted to them since they will be motivated to continue offering the best of themselves.
With respect to the accessibility for persons with mobility issues, unfortunately our hotel is not recommended for handicapped motors, in fact because we have many stairs, steps and ramps, as you referred.
I hope to have the pleasure to greet you personally in your next visit.
Cordial greetings,

Reviewed 13 August 2013

I had an amazing vacation. The hotel location is great, you are never more than 500 ft for the beach.
The staff was amazing. In Restaurant, at the bars, and how can I forget Julio the clown. The entertainer make sure you laugh, have fun and feel right at home.
Food was great too. We emptied their wine reserve 2 evening, but it was late in the night and there was plenty of rhum left.

• Stayed: July 2013
1  Thank Slymos

Dear Valued Guest,

We appreciate immensely your taking some of your invaluable time to share your experience at our Hotel with others.

I am very glad to know that your visit to Melia Las Americas was marvellous and you found our personnel amazing. We will be very happy to pass them your gentle opinions to all and especially to our Julio; comments like yours motivate them to improve the quality of the services they provide.

I hope to have the opportunity to greeting you in Melia Las Americas soon.

Reviewed 12 August 2013

A great spot for a relaxing two weeks without kids...first rate entertainment and activities all day long...Many thanks to Julio and Julietta for the laughs...the amazing dancers...musicians, ect... The service is top notch by any standard, but outstanding for the Carribean (many tks to Mirella, Raoul, Yusimi and all the gang). Accomodations are very comfortable and clean. Common areas are pleasant and numerous. The restaurants are plentiful. Starting with the buffet, any appetite will find its fill. Specialty restaurants are very good by Carribean standards...Not the Ritz Carlton but great vacation value... The beach. the pool and the people make this resort my favorite in Varadero (after 5 other visits...) Mr Bernard, the new manager, keeps a watchful eye over it all...

Muchisimas gracias a todo!!!

Room Tip: Bungalows are nice but far from action...fourth floor ocean side with balcony is the best...
  • Stayed: July 2013, travelled solo
1  Thank Pierre L

Dear Valued Guest,

We thank you immensely for taking the time to share your experience with others and for your nice comments about our resort and the service we provide.

I am delighted to read that your visit to Melia Las Americas was excellent and that you found our staff outstanding. We will keep on working hard to upgrade our quality to meet all our guests´ expectations.

We will be very happy and pleased to pass your kind remarks to our staff, as comments like yours encourage them to continue improving and offer the best of themselves.

I look forward to welcoming you back to Melia Las Americas soon.