“Nice hotel, shame about some guests!”
Review of Melia Las Americas

Melia Las Americas
Ranked #5 of 64 Hotels in Varadero
Reviewed 21 June 2014

1st time to Cuba, and as most say lovely friendly people makes the holiday. The hotel is spotless. The food very nice. Cocktails hit and miss, lobby bar particularly poor, the staff at this one sling them together, as quick as they can, so never get mixers in correct measurements. Staff in Cascada do a far far better job.

The biggest negative of my holiday was other guests! There is a trend I notice, by older guests to buy the staff! This is very noticeable, especially on the beach. They pay to reserve beds in best position, and also have an extra one, so 2 people 3 beds! The 3rd used when coming out of sea to save one with cushions on for relaxing! I saw several people do this. To add insult to injury, they then hardly use them. One morning 2 beds reserved with old t shirts, and nice clean towels, under the palapas never had anyone use them, in the 6hrs I was by the beach!

Good hotel lovely staff. But some very bad practices that need addressing by management!

Room Tip: Higher floors especially if n the front. Buses can be heard from level 3, but not enough to disturb...
2  Thank stroppymare66
MLAGeneralManager, General Manager at Melia Las Americas, responded to this reviewResponded 24 June 2014

Dear stroppymare66,
Thank you for choosing Meliá Las Américas for your first time to Cuba and for sharing your pleasant review regarding our hotel. We were encouraged to read that our lovely friendly Staff had provided you with good vacation memories. Our hotel takes pride in the cleanliness or all areas as well as quality of our food, as you mentioned.
We have taken note of your constructive feedback about some bad practices in our services. Your opinion has been of great value because it have allowed us identify opportunities for improvements and compromise us to take immediate actions to avoid similar facts in the future.
We will be looking forward to welcome you again anytime soon.
Best regards.

Reviewed 17 June 2014

This was our 7th time to Varadero so I can compare to other resorts.Beautiful property with very nice beach.Had very nice time,would return if the price is right . It's very costly compare to other hotels.The price is 5* but the service I would say stays at 3+*

Food (for us) was ok..There is nice grill section at the buffet, but what I noticed many people go around and help themselves to already cooked meals like fish or pork roast.. ...if I want meal made for me I go to a'lacarte, why would I wait for a meal at the buffet.. (?)
I wish they could grill ahead few pieces of different kind of meats and just keep it warm..everything is just little warm so whats the difference.

Bars- shortage of staff is noticeable.
Beach is beautiful but the mess left behind by Cubans during the weekend (starting friday night) is not acceptable - cans,broken glass,empty bottles,chicken bones floating in the ocean..and at the end of a day fights between cuban woman.This was the only time the beach security was not visible.

Room (Villa)
Clean,every day fresh towels..water.... but I must say that cleaning ladies( at the villa section) are just annoying with notes about their work schedule (days off with family,vacation time..)It,s just tooo much....we know and we always leave a tip.

4  Thank Elllam
MLAGeneralManager, General Manager at Melia Las Americas, responded to this reviewResponded 18 June 2014

Dear Elllam,
It was very sad to read that you were disappointed with the quality of the services we provided, which did not meet your expectations. Even when you wrote you had a nice time and you made some positive comments about beauty of our hotel & beach as well as the cleanliness of rooms, it is hurtful to know we weren’t able to made a memorable experience for you.
I would like to assure you that your comments were analyzed very thoroughly as it is only by a careful study of our clients' reports and suggestions that we can correct possible deficiencies and improve our standards of service. Your remarks allow us identify opportunities for advances and compromise us even more to work every day harder to make it better.
I hope you will give us a second chance in the next future and I am sure you will appreciate our progress then. We will still working hard in trying to do it even better.
Best regards.

Reviewed 17 June 2014

Terrific hotel and staff! If you are looking for an All Inclusive that is civilized! Main lobby bar staff was very attentive and the live music in the foyer was a REAL TREAT! It shows the quality of hotel when every night the General Manager made his rounds to the restaurants to make sure guests were having a pleasant stay.

Room Tip: If you have the opportunity to upgrade your room do so! Well worth the extra $ and having an apartme...
  • Stayed: May 2014, travelled as a couple
3  Thank Drewokeefe

Dear Drewokeefe,
I would like to thank you first for reporting your feedback on Trip Advisor concerning your wonderful vacation at Meliá Las Américas. I am glad to know that you really enjoyed our facilities and services. Your words gave us the strengths to continue trying to please our guests and made a memorable experience for all of them. Actually, the enormous majority of our guests leave our resort with only good memories of their stay.
I am pleased to read how you highlighted the genuine attitude and attentive service provided by of our Lobby Bar Staff as well as my presence around the hotel making sure our guests are having a pleasant stay. I think that a daily feedback with our customers allows me to have a precise and clear picture of my operation and this may avoid the fact that our guests leave the property with any frustration.
We hope to welcome you again anytime soon.
Best regards from Varadero.

Reviewed 15 June 2014

this was our first trip to cuba and so we decided to go for the top end of hotels because we didnt know what standard to expect well we where pleasantly surprised. the rooms that i had requested we had and the standard was as good as any European hotel .
the choice of food was simply stunning there was something for every one no matter what your taste a special mention for the manager this guy is worth his weight in gold to this hotel he was to be seen every where every day to make this place tick like clockwork many thanks to all the staff cant wait to return

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled with friends
Review collected in partnership with Virgin Holidays
2  Thank 826brian
MLAGeneralManager, General Manager at Melia Las Americas, responded to this reviewResponded 16 June 2014

Dear customer,
Thank you so much for choosing Meliá Las Américas for your first trip to Cuba and for reporting your wonderful impressions on Trip Advisor. It is nice to read that you were pleasantly surprised about our facilities and services and you can’t wait to return.
Thank you for highlighting especially the quality and variety of our gastronomic offer. We strive to adhere to our guests every need above and beyond their expectations and I hope this is what you encountered with us. We will gladly give your gratitude to our professional Staff; we are proud of all of them.
We look forward your next visit anytime soon and we hope to count you among our loyal guests in the future.
My very best regards from Varadero.

Reviewed 14 June 2014

It's quite pricey, but it's everything you may expect form a top-of-the-line Melia. Smooth, friendly check-in, lovely, spacious rooms, and bathrooms and fancy amenity kit therein. A great selection of restaurants, out-of-this-world beach, lots of free entertainment (well...nothing is free, of course!). Added extras, it's located right next to the only 18-hole golf course in Cuba and also the exotic "Xanadú" Dupont Mansion, a fabulous place to view sunset with an ice cold Bucanero beer in hand.
What more can I say? Just two negatives...achingly slow elevators..convoluted restaurant reservation system. On arrival I was told all the specialty restaurants were fully booked, yet I never saw the restaurant of my choice more than half full.

Room Tip: Obviously ocean-front rooms are to be preferred.
  • Stayed: June 2014, travelled with friends
1  Thank mmbcross

Dear mmbcross
My staff joins me to thank you for reporting your sincere holiday’s experience on Trip Advisor and for identifying Meliá Las Américas as a fantastic hotel, from the title of your kind review.
I am pleased to know that you had a wonderful time and enjoyed our privileged location, the quality and variety of our gastronomic offer and our entertainment program, as well as the friendly attitude of our Staff; as you wrote: “everything you may expect form a top-of-the-line Melia”. Thank you for your trust in our company Meliá Hotels International.
We are sincerely grateful for your constructive criticism about the negative points you found. Your valuable remarks allow us to identify opportunity for improvements in our services. We assure you we will continue doing our best
for delivering nothing but excellence to all our clients.
We hope to welcome you back anytime soon.
Warmest regards from Varadero.

Reviewed 14 June 2014

When everything goes well this is probably quite a good resort. Food is pretty good (fresh and diverse) at this hotel, rooms are clean, beach is nice, sufficient activities organized, and most employees really do their best to provide you with a happy stay.
However when things are not going well don't expect too much. Our experiences:
1. They let us wait for 3 hours for our room when we arrived, something was broken and needed to get fixed. Initially they said it would take only 45min, but then another 30 and another and another.. and we just had to sit waiting with our stuff while we could have been on the beach for already 3 hours.
2. Then when we were finally in the room, the power shut down. Before going to dinner we wanted to take a shower after a long day of travel but there was no water. Downstairs there was no service at the bar. No communication at all and vague answers when we asked anyone when they expected to have water again.
3. Payment for our stay (using credit card) had to be done in US dollars using a ridiculous rate (to their benefit), so that we ended up paying a lot more than the amount we booked for on the website which showed the price in euros. I feel ripped us off with their dollar conversion rate.
4. An anoying animator was making a lot of noise and bad jokes (he did his best but we did not really like the humor). Next day at 11h in the morning he was disturbing everyone's rest and piece on the beach, screaming for people to come and drink cocktails in the bar (man, I just woke up!) and making noise with a pan and spoon or something.
5. The hotel has a number of different restaurants, however you need to make reservations upfront (on time!) and there is a maximum. In the buffet restaurants birds were flying around inside the building. I do recommend the restaurant Arcada.
6. Although it is an all inclusive resort, not all is included (e.g. if you want different wine than the house wine). Also take into account that some services are not available in low season. I wanted a pedicure but the beauty salon was closed for the season and they wanted to send me to another hotel instead which was a 30min walk or I had to pay for a taxi.
7. Then the next day my beach towel got stolen from my bed on the beach while I was gone 30min for lunch. Probably by someone who lost their towel and did not want to pay the deposit. Now I had to pay 20cuc to get a new one. I could have stolen another one and move the problem (like this person may have done), but instead I was honest and ended up paying for it. Paying $250 per night for this hotel and then they can't offer any service when you report honestly about a taken towel.. I understand the policy of deposits to prevent that people take the towels home, but it crazy that - while you can eat and drink as much food as you want all day - there is no service for a simple towel?? They sent me to 5 different places for help. If it was not another hotel guest it might have been an external visitor (the beach is open to non-hotel guests partly as well), however security indicated they hadn't seen anything - 'I can't watch the whole beach'. So then what do we have security for??
8. The services not included such as laundry or massages are quite expensive.

6  Thank Couple_from_NL_2014

Dear Couple_from_NL_2014,
I am offering you our most sincere apologies for not achieving our daily working objective: to satisfy the needs and hopes of all our clients. I thank you so much for reporting your opinions on Trip Advisor but I am really sorry to know that your experience was not at the level of your expectations.
We sincerely appreciate that you highlighted the quality and variety of our food offer, our nice beach and our Entertainment program as well as the genuine positive attitude of most of our Staff who really did their best to provide our customers with a memorable stay.
Anyway, I thank you again for your feedback and we will carefully go through all the numerous points you mentioned in order to rectify any mistake on our side.
Your critics are definitely welcome and will help us in improving the services we offer for fulfilling our guests’ expectations.
We would be very pleased to have another opportunity in the future to offer the service you deserve and change the image you have of our services and installment. In case you decide to visit us again, please, don’t hesitate to contact us in advance. It will be my pleasure to welcome you personally.
My best regards from Varadero.

Reviewed 14 June 2014

my husband and I stayed at the Melia las Americas for our honeymoon. overall our stay was very good.just a couple of things to point out though. the bath in our room 3314 was very old and looked dirty even tho it was clean, needs to be changed as I could not have a bath in it. food was generally ok. Other restuarants were good but we got burnt rice in the japanese restuarant. did not see much of the entertainment staff in the day. some were a bit obnoxious as were some of the bar staff by the pool and beachbars. however we did not let that get to us. I personally would not go back to this hotel as I have been to another in Cuba which I thought was better. I was particularly upset with being charged for a towel I had left in the outside bar during a very bad storm, customer services and reception did not do much to help with this after they spoke to security... how do I know if they found the towel or not......... not happy. But I have to say most of the staff were very happy and cheerful.

2  Thank notsogood

Dear notsogood,
We wish to thank you for taking the time to share your review on Trip Advisor. It is nice to read that overall your honeymoon at Meliá Las Américas was a good experience.
We sincerely appreciate for bringing to our attention those details which disturb your stay. I would like to reassure you that your comments were analyzed very thoroughly as it is only by a careful study of our clients' reports and suggestions that we can correct possible deficiencies and improve our standards of service.
We are pleased to notify you that we are carrying out some renovations to update the image and improve the whole product to meet all our guests’ expectations. We have read all your comments well and have certainly taken all the necessary steps to rectify wrongdoing. The information you have provided will have an impact on any improvements, which may be necessary to maintain the level of quality.
We apologize if specifically some of our personnel did not meet your expectations by not delivering to you the professional and friendly customer service levels that most of our Staff offer and so many of our guests have experienced and continue to enjoy at our Hotel.
I am truly sorry to know you have decided not visit us again. I am sure if you reconsider your decision in the future you could appreciate the improvements in our product and services.
Best regards from Varadero.