“Very good, even if...”

Montreal, Canada
“Very good, even if...”
Reviewed 1 July 2014

Really nice resort!
I was pleasantly surprised. I was there for 8 nights. The food was good even though at the buffet it was a little repetitive. The beach was amazing. The majority of the staff was friendly and helpful.
One night, Angela the concierge, left an enveloppe in my room with two reservations for the ''a la carte restaurant'' without me asking for it. This is 5 stars service.
The yoga class with Illellen was good. She was giving it in the coutyard. Compare to the other teacher who was giving it in the gym.

On the other hand, there are a few things that could be improved.
When I checked in, I asked for an non-smoking room since I'm asthmatic. When I arrived in the room, there was an ashtray in the bathroom and in the room and an air fresener was plugged in.
One place I never expected to see a snake is on a beach. I've travelled a lot and I've never seen a snake on a beach before. A long black snake (about 4 or 5 feet long) passed under my chair. Personaly, I'm not scared of gekkos or frogs, but I'm very scared of snakes. Two days after, I saw a smaller one on the sidewalk close the swimming pool. Hopefully, they will do something about it.
Finally, the last morning while I was packing my bags just before checking out, a guest came in into my room with his card. Freaky! I called the 700 number to let the Customer service know about this situation. The person who I spoke to didn't understand so she transferred me to room service. If you get room 3503, make sure they solve that problem.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled solo
1 Thank Karina S
MLAGeneralManager, General Manager at Melia Las Americas, responded to this review, 3 July 2014
Dear Karina S,
It is so nice to read you described Meliá Las Américas as a “really nice resort”. We are glad to know you enjoyed your stay with us and were pleasantly surprised because we surpassed your expectations about our facilities. Thank you for highlighting our amazing beach and the quality of our food offer as well as the affability and kindheartedness of the majority of our Staff. We are sincerely grateful that you highlighted by name some of them, those who make the difference providing a high-quality attention. We will gladly share your comments with all our team because comments like yours show them how our guests appreciate custom-made service.
We apologize for the fact that you had some inconveniences during your stay. Thank you for bringing them to our attention which are always welcome as a means of improving the service we offer and fulfilling our guests’ expectations. I assure you that these incidents are certainly not within our normal standards. Your comments have been analysed with the relevant parties and immediate actions have been taken to avoid similar events in the future.
Regarding the incident with the small snake, it is part of our local fauna and we reassure you that they are absolutely inoffensive. We are proud to have so many species in our zone as an expression of our systematic care to protect our surroundings; that is why we have been awarded “The Environmental Beach Prize”.
We hope these incidents won’t erase the good memories of your stay and you will decide to visit us again in the future.
With my warmest regards from Varadero.

Bernard Meyer

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,028)
  • Czech first
  • Slovak first
  • Turkish first
Mississauga, Canada
Reviewed 1 July 2014

Having been to many places around the Caribbean, including 5 times to Cuba, I can say that this resort is a far cry from 5 stars they advertise and corresponds to a 3-star hotel at best in places like Mayan Riviera in Mexico, for instance. Nature (the beach, water) is great, but when it comes to service, there are significant gaps. Some people argue that prices for this hotel are lower than in Mexico. Not quite so, given that THIS IS NOT a 5-star hotel at all. Some of the issues listed below are of systemic nature, whereas others are “little things”, but the mere number of these things adds up to create an overall negative experience.

To summarize, this hotel is simply in a “Junior League”. We are certainly not coming back.

Here are my reflections of our recent stay there.

1. Beach – a very nice stretch of powder sand, beautiful Ocean, practically no weeds. This is really the main highlight of the place. However, the beach is not cleaned on a regular basis, so unfortunately it is not uncommon to see litter (used plastic bottles, cans, etc.).

2. Money exchange – defrauding customers is a common practice. Watch for it!

When in Cuba you need to exchange your money to Peso Convertible (or CUC), which is a Cuban equivalent of the US dollar and is the only legal tender for foreigners. You can exchange your money at the Front Desk.
This is how the process is supposed to work:
• You hand over your cash
• The clerk tells you the amount in CUCs
• He/she then passes the indicated amount over to you
• He/she asks you to sign a receipt
• He/she then gives you a copy of the receipt for the transaction

And this is how the process actually works:
• You hand over your cash
• The clerk gives you some cash in CUCs, but you have no idea if it is the right amount, since they do not tell you how much you are supposed to receive
• He/she asks you to quickly sign a receipt (they would not even pass it over to you – will keep it in their hands, so that you do not have time to look at what you are signing)
• After you sign the receipt, they take it away, do not give you a copy and show you that the transaction is over
• Little do you know that they NEVER GIVE YOU THE EXACT CASH, only releasing the “dollar portion” of the converted amount. So even if they owe you $5.93, you will receive $5.

This happened to my 3 times before I complained. I do not mind tipping, but this has nothing to do with tipping. Next 2 times I was given “almost the exact amount” (still no pennies, so $5.90 in the example above) after they read something on the computer display (they ask you the room number prior to the transaction). However, I could clearly see that the people in the line before and after me were defrauded using the same scheme, so nothing has really changed.

On top of all that, they close the exchange counter from time to time without any notice or any pre-defined schedule, so you may end up trying multiple times until you actually get served (in my case one time I tried 4 times prior to being able to exchange). At the same time, even if the tourists are not served, the Front Desk clerks routinely exchange money for the hotel employees (who bring their tips) in front of your very eyes.

3. Front desk – they do not pay much attention to your needs, and sometimes we felt that customers were more of a nuisance to them (do not really want to say rude, as this could be a cultural thing). Here are some of the “little things” that we experienced:

• Upon arrival they give you a little brochure with your name, dates of stay and room number. The one that was given to us has a wrong name (not misspelled – completely different), different dates, etc. They also forgot to put the “all inclusive” wrist bands on – only after our reminder did they put them on
• One day we happened to be by the Front Desk and asked them to take care of a light bulb that burned out in our room. The response was shocking: go back to your room and call the Customer Service

4. Customer Service – as we later found out, there is a Customer Service desk at the lobby. However, it is not 24 x 7, so if you need some help, say, on a Saturday or Sunday, or in the afternoon on any other day – good luck to you.

5. Food – Quality and variety are simply not there, and the organization at the Buffet restaurant is very poor. Here some examples to illustrate the point:

• There is only one cooking station; one typically has to wait in line for 10 – 15 minutes to get served. Why can they not properly arrange this is beyond me
• Very limited variety of fruits, and amazingly they are of low quality. But to make things worse, you can actually see how they cut them. They do it right in the restaurant; the person who does this is not wearing gloves and has a garbage can ride beside her, between food shelves. So she takes, say, a mango, cuts it, then throws the waste into the garbage can (which attracts flies, etc.), and then reaches out to the next mango, cuts it, etc. Not sure how much you will want to try this mango, having seen the above
• Serving tea/coffee – this is really the heat of the season. They do not serve tea or coffee in any of the restaurants (including the specialty ones) during lunch or dinner – only during breakfast. At the same time they serve pastries for dinner, for example…
• There is one more observation, which is both funny and sad. One night the variety of food in the Buffet restaurant looked much more favourable. However, there were not so many servers available. I then noticed a table with some apparently big local bosses (3 of them) being served by at least 4 or 5 servers, with the local Assistant Director and some other managers standing around the table. Who cares about the tourists when an inspection comes in, right?
• Specialty restaurants - Initially we signed up for two: the Italian one and International. However, after our visit to the Italian restaurant (Il Limoncello), with food barely reminding Italian cuisine, we decided not to bother anymore.
• Booking of the specialty restaurants – unlike some posts where people refer to difficulties booking these restaurants, the only difficulty was had was the fact that when we tried to do this the first time the computer program they use did not work, and it was easier for them to tell us to come again “some other time”, rather than to manage the process manually until the software gets fixed. When we came back the next day, there were no issues booking any restaurant for any day we wanted. Based on our observations, 60 – 70 % of the specialty restaurants were empty on any day.

6. Quality of coffee and drinks served in bars varies from bar to bar. The worst is at the lobby bar (do not recommend going there), the best is at the beach bar by the pool. If you are served by Rahul there, you are guaranteed to get the best coffee in the house. The only problem with this bar is that sometimes it opens at 11 AM, sometimes – at 12 noon (for different reasons: no coffee or other ingredients, no electricity, etc.). A very strange schedule for a beach bar….

7. Maid service – this is probably one of the bright spots of this hotel. Good quality of service, friendly staff willing to help whenever they can.

8. Property/facilities – the main building and pool were opened close to 20 years ago, and require some renovation. Rooms are generally kept is a good shape but not without issues. In our room the shower leaked, the balcony door lock did not work, water pressure was low…. Again, not the end of the world, but adds to the overall impression.

9. Fridge replenishment – was never done. We had an all-inclusive plan. Unlike what can be found at any other 4/5-star hotel, the fridge contained only 2 bottles of beers and 2 cans of soda. However, after we consumed the two soda cans, they were never replenished. One is also entitled to a large bottle of water daily.

SO these are the facts; it is up to you to decide if they can influence your decision.

4 Thank Welmis
Dear Welmis
We have received your comments about your last stay.
We appreciate your kindness in bringing your points of view to our attention, as our customer’s opinions are a great way to improve our service.
Allow me to apologize once more and be sure that I am at your complete disposal for this or any other matter that you consider of importance.
We would like to have the honor and pleasure to welcome you personally during your next visit.

Yours sincerely,

Wolverhampton, United Kingdom
Reviewed 30 June 2014

After having problems with the hotel we were originally booked into, thank goodness we came here. We really enjoyed our stay here after spending 2 days at what can only be called a cattle market, this was so serene, peaceful and sophisticated.The food was really good in the buffet restaurant just a bit more variety would have been good, all of the staff were really helpful and cheery, nothing was too much for them. The entertainment was brilliant something for everyone, in their chosen place. Although the world cup was on there were conveniently placed TV's for people to watch without being over intrusive to others. The only 2 things on the downside were the mosquitoes and the Gym. The mosquitoes were everywhere and even with every defense mechanism sold I was bitten 30 times of which I had really bad reactions and had to take Piriton religiously every 4 hours during my stay as well as using anti-histamine and hydro-cortisone creams. A lot of the bites were from when I used the Gym. My husband and I used the Gym every morning during our stay, but because there was not any air-conditioning the windows were opened to make it more bearable for exercising but the mosquitoes just piled in. The other problems I had with the gym is that for a 5 star hotel it has such outdated equipment and only 1 of the 3 old treadmills worked which meant there was always a queue or people walking out. The cycles were really outdated not computerised so you had to time yourself with no idea of how far you had cycled. I had really big problems trying to control the old-fashioned dumbbells, which are really oversized compared to more modern ones. But even so the staff in there were very attentive and very nice and the iced water was very welcome. But even after my personal problems with the hotel :) if I was coming back to Cuba for a 4th time I would definitely come back here, with the shopping mall and the 5 peso bus stop within a 5 minute walk it is so perfectly placed for your own exploring trips. Well done to all of the staff here who all work so hard to make it a fantastic experience for us all.

1 Thank 2Witch22014
MLAGeneralManager, General Manager at Melia Las Americas, responded to this review, 1 July 2014
Dear 2Witch22014,
Thank you for identifying Meliá Las Américas as “one of the best” hotels since the title of your nice review on Trip Advisor. Comments like yours serve as motivation to our hardworking team. It was encouraging to read that our friendly staff and wonderful services had all met your expectations.
We are so glad to read that your first time in our hotel has been so much enjoyed. We are grateful for all your compliments on our facilities and services.
As we always do, we took good note of your suggestions for improvements in our Gym and it will be taking into consideration in future enhancements of our product.
I am sorry you had the inconvenience of were bitten by mosquitoes, even when we do fumigate twice a day in all outside public areas with a pest control company; but like anywhere else in the Caribbean, mosquitoes are something very difficult to eradicate, especially in raining season like our summer is. Maybe, as other client suggested, a good advice is to bring some after-bite or insect repellent when you are traveling to a tropical country.
Still, we are happy to know that if you decide to visit Cuba again, you will definitely come back to our resort. It will be our pleasure to welcome you again.
With warmest regards,

Montreal, Canada
Reviewed 30 June 2014

For the second time, several of us came back to this magnificent Hotel. We were 10 the 1st week and 7 the second week. ALL of us spent an excellent time and enjoyed every aspect: Management, staff, services, meals, special restaurants , entertainment, and the super beach of this Hotel. Management is everywhere ensuring that guests have all they need and the staff is so attentionate providing us everything we wished for. These wonderful vacations will remain for ever in our memories. We will definetly go back very soon. Thanks to ALL this GREAT TEAM.

Room Tip: Sea view is important
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled with friends
1 Thank Samir5974
Dear Samir5974,
We truly appreciate your comments on Trip Advisor regarding your second visit to Meliá Las Américas as part of a group. We are very pleased that we made of your holidays an excellent and memorable experience. For us it is very significant to know that you enjoyed all our facilities and services once more time.
Thank you highlighting the friendliness and professionalism of our personnel. It is true that our team is just awesome and I am extremely proud of our employee’s attitude. I will gladly pass on your gratitude to them. I am also grateful for mentioning my passion for trying to stay in touch with all our customers on a daily basis. I think this is definitely the only way to be as proactive as possible and to react to any of your needs almost immediately.
We value your preference. It would be our pleasure to welcome you all back anytime soon.
With warmest regards.

Aveiro
Reviewed 30 June 2014

Our room facilities, and view was very good and quiet. The room cleanliness is beyond reproach. The front desk staff are really helpful, kind and always smiling. We liked the activities from the animation team on the beach and at the evening shows, it was really very nice. The beach is very good the swimming pools are well maintained, clean and ordered. There are bands and musicians playing on the bars and the restaurants that are very good.
The quality and variety of the food are good, the restaurants are at the average, the restaurant "LA ARCADA" is above average.
We observed some negative aspects, like: some of the guests pay to the staff to reserve with towels and books the hammock chair and the umbrella on the beach, at the buffet some of the tables are reserved also with handbags by the staff, some of the staff on the grill accepts tips to jump the queue, for us this kind of behaviour is a total disrespect to the others guests.
In general, this is a very good resort, nice beach, quiet and relaxing.

1 Thank NERIVO
Dear NERIVO,
Thank you so much for sharing your feedback on Trip Advisor. It was kind of you to describe Meliá Las Américas as “a very good resort, nice beach, quiet and relaxing”. We are also thankful for highlighting the spotlessness of your room as well as the friendliness and professionalism of our Front Desk’s and Animation’s Teams. In addition, it is nice to know how you enjoyed the several musical performances around the hotel.
Regarding the negative incidents you referred, I am offering my apologies. This occurrence are not the norm and we will certainly look into how we can take immediate actions to rectify these situations. We were grateful for bringing these particulars to our attention. We know that there is always a lot to be done; we are working everyday to make it better.
Our staff members look forward to welcoming you back and assure you that we will be improving on the areas you pointed out in order to serve you better on your next visit.
We hope that you will choose our resort again for a future vacation.

Winnipeg, Canada
Reviewed 28 June 2014

We visited our 'second home' last November [2013] for our sixth stay there. It was amazing as usual...beautiful beach, beautiful people. Customer service staff - Isis, Anna, Osamani were great...always willing to help with any concerns, etc. The food was good. We especially love the music, both in the lobby area and in the Gourmet Restaurant - the string orchestra is so wonderful to listen too. And Julio....what can I say. It took me a few years to appreciate what he does around the resort...multiple costume changes, working in different areas...always in motion. And besides this he is a husband/father/grandfather...and he speaks 5 languages and is a teacher of languages. Not sure when he sleeps. I will attach some pictures that he asked me to put online. One of the best things that has happened, for the staff and for this resort, is the new General Manager, Bernard. He is visible everywhere, always talking to guests and staff. He wants 'concerns' brought to him immediately, and directly, and he acts upon them right away. He is an asset to the Melia, and hopefully he will be there for a long time. His staff love and respect him. A nice touch is that Bernard wants to meet 'every' guest, and is usually at the buffet entrance greeting everyone. If you want a low-key, comfortable, resort, with a private, beautiful beach...this is the resort for you. We are looking forward to our 7th visit....

Room Tip: We like to be 3rd or 4th floor, with an oceanview.
  • Stayed November 2013, travelled as a couple
2 Thank revdj
MLAGeneralManager, General Manager at Melia Las Americas, responded to this review, 30 June 2014
Dear revdj,
Thank you very much for taking the time to report your feedback on Trip Advisor and for highlighting the great and genuine friendly attitude of our staff. It is true that we both, management and employees, integrate a very nice team and this is reflected through the fantastic comments we receive on a daily basis from our former guests. It is a true pleasure and here to read feedback like yours which really reflects how great your stay was. Thank you also for mentioning some of the name of our employees, those who excelled in the service offered. We will definitely let them know about your nice words.
We are very happy reading that you feel Meliá Las Américas as your “second home” and you found our hotel even better every time. It is very rewarding for us because we all are working hard every day in order to improve our services and facilities. We are deeply grateful for recommending our resort when you wrote: “If you want a low-key, comfortable, resort, with a private, beautiful beach...this is the resort for you.”
We are glad to know that you are already thinking about your 7th visit. You are now officially one more member of the Meliá Family and will be our pleasure to welcome you anytime soon.
Warmest regards from Varadero.

Kingston, Canada
Reviewed 27 June 2014

My husband and I chose to spend a week relaxing in Varadero and knew that Melia would offer a good package and they did just that. For example, we were accommodated when we did not like the two level room we were offered at first and got a great room by the beach. The front desk staff were snarly most of the time but they delivered in the end. The grounds are beautiful and they are kept in pristine condition. I loved seeing two kitty cats by the terrace each night after dinner-- where most guests retreated to chat. I did not enjoy getting bit by sand flies- I had about 20 bites on each leg, so make sure you bring some after-bite or insect repellent for the night-time. We enjoyed listening to an truly amazing singer-- Bianca-- Thank you for that beautiful voice! The other entertainment was pretty corny- no one wants to see Celine Dion songs performed at a Cuban resort- we would rather hear Cuban music-- which is wonderful!! I would like to commend Lirenia and Roberto- sweet, sweet people and great entertainers!! Only one restaurant was great- La Arcadia but the lady who books your times is very particular and does not allow you to book it more than once- and she takes a loooooong time to do her job. She needs to be cajoled most of the time. The beach is just fantastic and we spent most of our time relaxing there. The pool is nice too but if you don't watch the time you spend in it, you can burn much quicker. Overall, the best part of this resort is the great people you can meet, the great beach and resort grounds and the relaxing time you can have at the beautiful beach!! I would go back any time!!

Room Tip: Stay at the bungalows by the beach- they are very roomy and not far from the lobby at all!
2 Thank Lena_Mint
Dear Lena_Mint ,
Thank you for your cordial review on Trip Advisor regarding your recent stay at Meliá Las Américas. It is nice to know you won’t hesitate to go back any time and you have overall enjoyed our facilities & services, especially our beautiful beach, our well kept grounds as well as the relaxing ambiance of all our resort.
Thank you for highlighting by name those of our employees who make your stay remarkable. Your valuable notes are very important and useful for us because they have allowed us to identify opportunities for improvement in the services we offer, and we appreciate it. We will analyze your comments as it is only by a careful study of our clients' reports and suggestions that we can correct possible deficiencies and maintain the level of quality. We know that there is still a lot to be done and we are working harder and harder everyday to make it better.
I am sorry you had the inconvenience of were bitten by what you call sand flies. We do fumigate twice a day in all outside public areas with a pest control company, but insects (mosquitoes, i.e.), like anywhere else in the Caribbean, are something very difficult to eradicate. This applies to a lot of countries around the world. Definitely, a good tip is to bring some after-bite or insect repellent for the night-time, especially if you are allergic to insect bites.
I am pleased that you considered your stay a great experience. It will be a great pleasure for us to welcome you here on your next vacations and I trust that you can appreciate the improvements then.
With best regards,