“Disappointing!” 3 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #5 of 63 Hotels in Varadero
Newbury, United Kingdom
“Disappointing!”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 July 2014

The Melia Las Americas is a dated and tired resort in Varadero; a conveyor-belt med-style tourist resort. It is let down in particular by the low-budget low-quality food, and the ageing accommodation. It shares a stretch of beach with the lower-budget (?) Melia Veradero, which is similarly run-down, but seems to have a better vibe.

We booked four different hotels over two weeks, in Havana and Varadero; the Melia was by far the worst. Thankfully we only had to endure three nights here.

We arrived at 1430 and were told to go away and come back at the regimented check-in time – 1500. We had booked a “special offer” room with Virgin Holidays, which was spacious but dated; the bath had cracked and blistered enamel and was unusable, so we requested a move. We were shown a couple of other carbon-copy rooms, very much aligned to our “special offer” price band, and ended up in the room next door where the bath was less cracked and blistered. We spied a few beach-side rooms, and these were all the same, just beach-side. The balcony doors did not lock, and this was resolved quickly. We then got a typed apology and a bottle of rum the next day.

An upgrade (at cost or otherwise) was not offered, but I asked to look at one of the “bungalows” (two-storey apartments). We were offered one at the very edge of the large resort at 30 pesos per night extra (£20+), but the one we saw was again in poor condition so we declined.

We were also not beach-side, so we were exposed to the endless procession of very noisy coaches, the noise must be amplified by the shape of the hotel. There is also noise from the highway on this side of the hotel.

We got used to a technique used at reception where they do a very good job of appearing to try to help, but ultimately don’t. The same is true of the Customer Services line.

There was an iron, safe, flat-screen TV and kettle in the room. We were left with two decaf coffee sachets in the room and no whitener, this provision was never replenished so we couldn’t see the point – unless you want hot water for something? A conversation with the maid then with the “Customer Services” helpline to request whitener proved fruitless.

The food was awful in general, and mediocre at best; it was cooked or stewed to oblivion, presumably to mitigate the questionable food hygiene practices. There seems to be a habit of stewing leftovers, or presenting them in a roux or gelatinous white sauce. Pizzas were pre-prepared and had an awful sponge base.

Curiously (for an all-inclusive), they offer room service which we tried and regretted.
It is easy to get plastic cups of cheap (mostly ice) drinks around the beach and pools, we were not offered bottles of water.

Staying three nights, we were allowed to make one booking at a “speciality” restaurant. We were told by a repeat guest to avoid the Italian. We chose the Japanese and it was fine. The Italian was shut one of nights we stayed, and so was the Arcada.

It has a large gym which is not air-conditioned (unlike others), two out of the three treadmills were “out of order” for the duration of the stay at least. It also had a couple of Jacuzzis but none worked.

In its favour, the hotel has a beautiful beach frontage, a good choice of swimming pools, a golf course if applicable. The housekeeping is good. Bar service is fairly good. The rooms are spacious with high ceilings. You get a minibar which is restocked daily if somewhat randomly with a couple of waters, beer and pop.

Come on Melia, this has dented my faith in your brand, a brand I often enjoy in Europe and beyond.

The hotel needs renovation, and more attention to the quality and variety of food at the buffet.
The hotel is way overpriced, it would struggle to attain a 4-star rating in Europe, and serves 3-star food at best.

Apart from the Melia, we found the standard of the hotels we stayed at to be very good in Cuba and higher than expected, many on par with Europe – with good restaurants and service, flat screen tvs in rooms, aircon, aircon’ed gyms and even an aircon’ed squash court in one case.

Cuba is an amazing place. Have a great time!

Room Tip: Stay beach-side if you can, some rooms have no balcony. Some rooms road-side do not get any sun.
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled with family
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
7 Thank wonderlast
MLAGeneralManager, General Manager at Melia Las Americas, responded to this review, 7 July 2014
Dear wonderlast,
Thank you for sharing your recent experience at our resort on Trip Advisor. We are very sorry to read we did not meet your expectations level. While our resort is 20 years old we can assure you we are always doing our best to improve the existing structure in order to best improve our guest experience. Our goal is always to try to accommodate all of our guests and provide a memorable vacation. We are very frustrated to know that we didn’t achieved it, even when you highlighted the beauty of our beach and our fairly bar service as well as our wonderful housekeeping service, which the majority of our clients show their appreciation.
Your review has helped us in identifying deficiencies. As usual we will carefully look after your comments with our Quality Committee in order to take immediate steps to rectify these situations you referred. We were grateful for your feedback and we would ask you to accept our most sincere apologies for the inconsistencies you found in our services and for not achieving our daily working objective: to satisfy the needs & hopes of our clients.
We would very much appreciate to continue having your confidence on our company Melia Hotels International as well as we would be very pleased to have another opportunity to offer the service you deserve and to change the image you have of our services and installment.
It will be my pleasure to welcome you personally in a future visit.
Sincerely.

Bernard Meyer

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (977)
  • Czech first
  • Slovak first
  • Turkish first
London, Canada
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 July 2014

They resort was clean, well maintained, and it had a lively atmosphere. The staff was always around and they put effort into the nightly and daily entertainment. The food was definitely good, there was lots to choose from. The service was acceptable in certain places and great in others. The beach was amazing! Bring repellant for nighttime. They had a great beach party, which I haven't gotten to see at other resorts so I would recommend going!

• Stayed August 2013, travelled with friends
2 Thank Tropicalgirl81
Dear Tropicalgirl81,
Thank you very much for having chosen Meliá Las Américas for your vacation and for taking the time to share your experience on Trip Advisor. It is so good to read how well you remember your stay in our resort and how you recommend to other travelers to visit us.
I am glad to know you spent a memorable holiday here on August 2013 and that you appreciate highly the cleanliness all around our resort, the quality & variety of our food offer and very especially our amazing beach!! I am also thankful for highlighting the quality of our entertainment program and our wonderful Staff.
Almost a year has passed since your previous visit and during this period we have done every day our best to improve our services to fulfill our guests’ expectations.
We hope you will decide to come back anytime soon. Meantime I send you my best regards from the sunny Vardero.

Montreal, Canada
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 July 2014

We spent a week in this hotel. Fantastic! All was perfect, food, service, beach, room, etc. The personnel is very polite and helpful. The manager Mr Meyer is perfect, he was everywhere looking for the customers satisfaction.. We will surely return for a week or two.

6 Thank HenriFarran
MLAGeneralManager, General Manager at Melia Las Americas, responded to this review, 3 July 2014
Dear HenriFarran,
We are so glad to read that your first time with us has been a fantastic experience. Thank you very much for taking the time to share your review on Trip Advisor. Your comments are of a great value to us so that we may continue with our efforts to have more satisfied and happy clients each day!
I am very pleased to read all our team serves you in such a wonderful way and how we accomplish to make a memorable stay for you. I have been very glad to share all your remarks and compliments with all our personnel because they will be proud and happy.
We hope we will have you among our loyal guests in the future.
Best regards from Varadero.

5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 July 2014

Animators are great..lot of funny programs every day and night! The hotel and location are awesome! Food delicious! Comming back again next year! Can't wait to be there! It was the best stay in Cuba-and we tried a lot places...but this is unique:)

• Stayed June 2014
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
MLAGeneralManager, General Manager at Melia Las Americas, responded to this review, 2 July 2014
Dear Bianka_slovak_cuba
We are deeply grateful for describing Meliá Las Américas as “absolutely the best hotel in Cuba”. On behalf of Management and Staff we want to say thank you for your lovely words.
We are very happy because we accomplished your expectations about our facilities and services and you have decided to come back next year. Thank you for sharing your experiences in our resort with other travelers to help them decide to come to us.
It will be our pleasure to welcome you again in 2015.
With kindest regards,

Montreal, Canada
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 July 2014

Really nice resort!
I was pleasantly surprised. I was there for 8 nights. The food was good even though at the buffet it was a little repetitive. The beach was amazing. The majority of the staff was friendly and helpful.
One night, Angela the concierge, left an enveloppe in my room with two reservations for the ''a la carte restaurant'' without me asking for it. This is 5 stars service.
The yoga class with Illellen was good. She was giving it in the coutyard. Compare to the other teacher who was giving it in the gym.

On the other hand, there are a few things that could be improved.
When I checked in, I asked for an non-smoking room since I'm asthmatic. When I arrived in the room, there was an ashtray in the bathroom and in the room and an air fresener was plugged in.
One place I never expected to see a snake is on a beach. I've travelled a lot and I've never seen a snake on a beach before. A long black snake (about 4 or 5 feet long) passed under my chair. Personaly, I'm not scared of gekkos or frogs, but I'm very scared of snakes. Two days after, I saw a smaller one on the sidewalk close the swimming pool. Hopefully, they will do something about it.
Finally, the last morning while I was packing my bags just before checking out, a guest came in into my room with his card. Freaky! I called the 700 number to let the Customer service know about this situation. The person who I spoke to didn't understand so she transferred me to room service. If you get room 3503, make sure they solve that problem.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled solo
1 Thank Karina S
Dear Karina S,
It is so nice to read you described Meliá Las Américas as a “really nice resort”. We are glad to know you enjoyed your stay with us and were pleasantly surprised because we surpassed your expectations about our facilities. Thank you for highlighting our amazing beach and the quality of our food offer as well as the affability and kindheartedness of the majority of our Staff. We are sincerely grateful that you highlighted by name some of them, those who make the difference providing a high-quality attention. We will gladly share your comments with all our team because comments like yours show them how our guests appreciate custom-made service.
We apologize for the fact that you had some inconveniences during your stay. Thank you for bringing them to our attention which are always welcome as a means of improving the service we offer and fulfilling our guests’ expectations. I assure you that these incidents are certainly not within our normal standards. Your comments have been analysed with the relevant parties and immediate actions have been taken to avoid similar events in the future.
Regarding the incident with the small snake, it is part of our local fauna and we reassure you that they are absolutely inoffensive. We are proud to have so many species in our zone as an expression of our systematic care to protect our surroundings; that is why we have been awarded “The Environmental Beach Prize”.
We hope these incidents won’t erase the good memories of your stay and you will decide to visit us again in the future.
With my warmest regards from Varadero.

Mississauga, Canada
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 July 2014

Having been to many places around the Caribbean, including 5 times to Cuba, I can say that this resort is a far cry from 5 stars they advertise and corresponds to a 3-star hotel at best in places like Mayan Riviera in Mexico, for instance. Nature (the beach, water) is great, but when it comes to service, there are significant gaps. Some people argue that prices for this hotel are lower than in Mexico. Not quite so, given that THIS IS NOT a 5-star hotel at all. Some of the issues listed below are of systemic nature, whereas others are “little things”, but the mere number of these things adds up to create an overall negative experience.

To summarize, this hotel is simply in a “Junior League”. We are certainly not coming back.

Here are my reflections of our recent stay there.

1. Beach – a very nice stretch of powder sand, beautiful Ocean, practically no weeds. This is really the main highlight of the place. However, the beach is not cleaned on a regular basis, so unfortunately it is not uncommon to see litter (used plastic bottles, cans, etc.).

2. Money exchange – defrauding customers is a common practice. Watch for it!

When in Cuba you need to exchange your money to Peso Convertible (or CUC), which is a Cuban equivalent of the US dollar and is the only legal tender for foreigners. You can exchange your money at the Front Desk.
This is how the process is supposed to work:
• You hand over your cash
• The clerk tells you the amount in CUCs
• He/she then passes the indicated amount over to you
• He/she asks you to sign a receipt
• He/she then gives you a copy of the receipt for the transaction

And this is how the process actually works:
• You hand over your cash
• The clerk gives you some cash in CUCs, but you have no idea if it is the right amount, since they do not tell you how much you are supposed to receive
• He/she asks you to quickly sign a receipt (they would not even pass it over to you – will keep it in their hands, so that you do not have time to look at what you are signing)
• After you sign the receipt, they take it away, do not give you a copy and show you that the transaction is over
• Little do you know that they NEVER GIVE YOU THE EXACT CASH, only releasing the “dollar portion” of the converted amount. So even if they owe you $5.93, you will receive $5.

This happened to my 3 times before I complained. I do not mind tipping, but this has nothing to do with tipping. Next 2 times I was given “almost the exact amount” (still no pennies, so $5.90 in the example above) after they read something on the computer display (they ask you the room number prior to the transaction). However, I could clearly see that the people in the line before and after me were defrauded using the same scheme, so nothing has really changed.

On top of all that, they close the exchange counter from time to time without any notice or any pre-defined schedule, so you may end up trying multiple times until you actually get served (in my case one time I tried 4 times prior to being able to exchange). At the same time, even if the tourists are not served, the Front Desk clerks routinely exchange money for the hotel employees (who bring their tips) in front of your very eyes.

3. Front desk – they do not pay much attention to your needs, and sometimes we felt that customers were more of a nuisance to them (do not really want to say rude, as this could be a cultural thing). Here are some of the “little things” that we experienced:

• Upon arrival they give you a little brochure with your name, dates of stay and room number. The one that was given to us has a wrong name (not misspelled – completely different), different dates, etc. They also forgot to put the “all inclusive” wrist bands on – only after our reminder did they put them on
• One day we happened to be by the Front Desk and asked them to take care of a light bulb that burned out in our room. The response was shocking: go back to your room and call the Customer Service

4. Customer Service – as we later found out, there is a Customer Service desk at the lobby. However, it is not 24 x 7, so if you need some help, say, on a Saturday or Sunday, or in the afternoon on any other day – good luck to you.

5. Food – Quality and variety are simply not there, and the organization at the Buffet restaurant is very poor. Here some examples to illustrate the point:

• There is only one cooking station; one typically has to wait in line for 10 – 15 minutes to get served. Why can they not properly arrange this is beyond me
• Very limited variety of fruits, and amazingly they are of low quality. But to make things worse, you can actually see how they cut them. They do it right in the restaurant; the person who does this is not wearing gloves and has a garbage can ride beside her, between food shelves. So she takes, say, a mango, cuts it, then throws the waste into the garbage can (which attracts flies, etc.), and then reaches out to the next mango, cuts it, etc. Not sure how much you will want to try this mango, having seen the above
• Serving tea/coffee – this is really the heat of the season. They do not serve tea or coffee in any of the restaurants (including the specialty ones) during lunch or dinner – only during breakfast. At the same time they serve pastries for dinner, for example…
• There is one more observation, which is both funny and sad. One night the variety of food in the Buffet restaurant looked much more favourable. However, there were not so many servers available. I then noticed a table with some apparently big local bosses (3 of them) being served by at least 4 or 5 servers, with the local Assistant Director and some other managers standing around the table. Who cares about the tourists when an inspection comes in, right?
• Specialty restaurants - Initially we signed up for two: the Italian one and International. However, after our visit to the Italian restaurant (Il Limoncello), with food barely reminding Italian cuisine, we decided not to bother anymore.
• Booking of the specialty restaurants – unlike some posts where people refer to difficulties booking these restaurants, the only difficulty was had was the fact that when we tried to do this the first time the computer program they use did not work, and it was easier for them to tell us to come again “some other time”, rather than to manage the process manually until the software gets fixed. When we came back the next day, there were no issues booking any restaurant for any day we wanted. Based on our observations, 60 – 70 % of the specialty restaurants were empty on any day.

6. Quality of coffee and drinks served in bars varies from bar to bar. The worst is at the lobby bar (do not recommend going there), the best is at the beach bar by the pool. If you are served by Rahul there, you are guaranteed to get the best coffee in the house. The only problem with this bar is that sometimes it opens at 11 AM, sometimes – at 12 noon (for different reasons: no coffee or other ingredients, no electricity, etc.). A very strange schedule for a beach bar….

7. Maid service – this is probably one of the bright spots of this hotel. Good quality of service, friendly staff willing to help whenever they can.

8. Property/facilities – the main building and pool were opened close to 20 years ago, and require some renovation. Rooms are generally kept is a good shape but not without issues. In our room the shower leaked, the balcony door lock did not work, water pressure was low…. Again, not the end of the world, but adds to the overall impression.

9. Fridge replenishment – was never done. We had an all-inclusive plan. Unlike what can be found at any other 4/5-star hotel, the fridge contained only 2 bottles of beers and 2 cans of soda. However, after we consumed the two soda cans, they were never replenished. One is also entitled to a large bottle of water daily.

SO these are the facts; it is up to you to decide if they can influence your decision.

• 2 of 5 bubbles
4 Thank Welmis
Dear Welmis
We have received your comments about your last stay.
We appreciate your kindness in bringing your points of view to our attention, as our customer’s opinions are a great way to improve our service.
Allow me to apologize once more and be sure that I am at your complete disposal for this or any other matter that you consider of importance.
We would like to have the honor and pleasure to welcome you personally during your next visit.

Yours sincerely,

Wolverhampton, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 30 June 2014

After having problems with the hotel we were originally booked into, thank goodness we came here. We really enjoyed our stay here after spending 2 days at what can only be called a cattle market, this was so serene, peaceful and sophisticated.The food was really good in the buffet restaurant just a bit more variety would have been good, all of the staff were really helpful and cheery, nothing was too much for them. The entertainment was brilliant something for everyone, in their chosen place. Although the world cup was on there were conveniently placed TV's for people to watch without being over intrusive to others. The only 2 things on the downside were the mosquitoes and the Gym. The mosquitoes were everywhere and even with every defense mechanism sold I was bitten 30 times of which I had really bad reactions and had to take Piriton religiously every 4 hours during my stay as well as using anti-histamine and hydro-cortisone creams. A lot of the bites were from when I used the Gym. My husband and I used the Gym every morning during our stay, but because there was not any air-conditioning the windows were opened to make it more bearable for exercising but the mosquitoes just piled in. The other problems I had with the gym is that for a 5 star hotel it has such outdated equipment and only 1 of the 3 old treadmills worked which meant there was always a queue or people walking out. The cycles were really outdated not computerised so you had to time yourself with no idea of how far you had cycled. I had really big problems trying to control the old-fashioned dumbbells, which are really oversized compared to more modern ones. But even so the staff in there were very attentive and very nice and the iced water was very welcome. But even after my personal problems with the hotel :) if I was coming back to Cuba for a 4th time I would definitely come back here, with the shopping mall and the 5 peso bus stop within a 5 minute walk it is so perfectly placed for your own exploring trips. Well done to all of the staff here who all work so hard to make it a fantastic experience for us all.

1 Thank 2Witch22014
MLAGeneralManager, General Manager at Melia Las Americas, responded to this review, 1 July 2014
Dear 2Witch22014,
Thank you for identifying Meliá Las Américas as “one of the best” hotels since the title of your nice review on Trip Advisor. Comments like yours serve as motivation to our hardworking team. It was encouraging to read that our friendly staff and wonderful services had all met your expectations.
We are so glad to read that your first time in our hotel has been so much enjoyed. We are grateful for all your compliments on our facilities and services.
As we always do, we took good note of your suggestions for improvements in our Gym and it will be taking into consideration in future enhancements of our product.
I am sorry you had the inconvenience of were bitten by mosquitoes, even when we do fumigate twice a day in all outside public areas with a pest control company; but like anywhere else in the Caribbean, mosquitoes are something very difficult to eradicate, especially in raining season like our summer is. Maybe, as other client suggested, a good advice is to bring some after-bite or insect repellent when you are traveling to a tropical country.
Still, we are happy to know that if you decide to visit Cuba again, you will definitely come back to our resort. It will be our pleasure to welcome you again.
With warmest regards,

Bernard Meyer
Also consider these accommodations in or near Varadero
Sol Hotel
Royal Palms
Royal Palms
#1 of 3 in South Hill
Barcelo Solymar Arenas Blancas Resort

Been to Melia Las Americas? Share your experiences!