“Pleasant Stay - Thank You”
4 of 5 bubbles Review of Melia Las Americas

Melia Las Americas
Ranked #5 of 63 Hotels in Varadero
Portsmouth, United Kingdom
“Pleasant Stay - Thank You”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 July 2014

This was our first trip to Cuba and my wife and I enjoyed our vacation. Weather was great, beach beautiful and staff service excellent. The hotel staff are well trained and responsive to customer requirements. The room was good and sea view excellent. The food was ok with plenty of variety - my wife had a bad tummy for one day although we're not sure if this was due to the food. Entertainment was a bit cheesy but 10out of 10 for effort. This is a great hotel for rest and we particularly liked the fact there wasn't a scrum for sun beds by the beach or the pools. I played a lot of golf which is a two minute walk from the hotel - the course is challenging but slow greens and hard compacted sand bunkers can be improved. The external buildings require some renovation and a lick of paint, especially a light color is required on most external walls. The gym is dated and only 1 of 3 running machines was working - the gym lady was very pleasant and ran good sessions. The speciality restaurants were fine although as with all the food there is plenty of room for improvement in the cooking and flavours of the food, less salt and more herbs and spices is recommended. All in all this is a good hotel with well trained and honest staff, with a good leader (GM Bernard) and one we will come back to.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Alasdair_Gilly
MLAGeneralManager, General Manager at Melia Las Americas, responded to this review, 22 July 2014
Dear Alasdair_Gilly,
thank you for ranking our hotel so highly in Trip Advisor.
I was glad to see that you appreciated the location of Melia Las Americas as well as the kindness of our Staff.
As a golfer myself I agree with you about the golfcourt. It is in a wonderful setting, challanging and playable even in the summer due to its position over the sea and the consequent seabreeze.
I will pass to the golfmanager your suggestions.
As you certainly know, we are celebrating our 20th Anniversary but nevertheless, we try to keep the high Standar of our Resort and your comment abour some parts of our buldings are certainly appropriate. We will take good note of it.
Thank you as well for appreciating the variety of our buffets and as our main goal is to satisfay every and each of our guest, every remark is helpful for us.
Again thank you for sharing your esperience and we hope to see you soon back in our resort.

Best Regards

Bernard Meyer

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (993)
  • Czech first
  • Slovak first
  • Turkish first
Toronto, Canada
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 July 2014

Advised by my travel agent, Claudia Suarez del Real, and recommended by some friends, I spent the first week of July at the MELIA LAS AMERICAS GOLF AND BEACH RESORT in Varadero, Cuba.
It turned to be the best vacation I had in a long time. Located at one of the most beautiful white sand beaches, Melia Las Americas has found the key for making travellers have a great holiday: the staff works as a real team!
Every single day, Quality and Customer Service Manager, Ms. Zahily Alzola Martínez and her team cover the whole hotel checking all levels of cleanness and quality of the services offered. At the restaurants, Mr. Rafael Espinar, Director of A.& B., eagerly ensures the great quality and freshness of the food served.
The personnel are kind and ready to help tourists in any possible circumstance.
I enjoyed the flavor and freshness of the food and the extraordinary ambiance that the hotel offers in terms of music and entertainment. The cordiality of the staff made me feel at home.
As the 20 anniversary of the hotel approaches in few days, the major challenge for management is to keep up with the building’s renovations. As they work as team, I know that they are already taking care of this.
HAPPY 20 ANNIVERSARY MELIA LAS AMERICAS!
Silvia- Toronto- CA

Room Tip: Look at the Caribbean Sea, specially at the higher level for an spectacular view.
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled solo
1 Thank SILVIAfromTORONTO
MLAGeneralManager, General Manager at Melia Las Americas, responded to this review, 30 July 2014
Dear 63CharlesC2013,
Thank you for sharing with Trip Advisor community the experience of your recent stay at Meliá Las Américas.
It is a pleasure to read you had with us your best vacation in a long time and you enjoyed our facilities and services. Our hotel strives to ensure that we consistently provide our guests with the best in accommodation, facilities and personalized service.
Your positive reference to our breathtaking beach and the superb service given by our Customer Service Department as well as our Food & -Beverages Manager, was also very encouraging. We will be very happy and pleased to inform about your kind remarks to our staff, as comments like yours encourage them to continue doing their best. To this end, we felt pleased to know we had met your expectations.
We thank you deeply for your congratulations on our 20th Anniversary. Our team would be honored to be able to welcome you back soon.
Warm greetings from Varadero.

Montreal, Quebec, Canada
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 July 2014

I stayed at Melia las Americas on July 9th for 1 week with my best friend. We decided to spend both of our birthdays in Cuba.
We had a blast!!! The hotel staff is very nice, perfect beach, great restaurants and room service , nice and fun discos outside of the resort. The entertainment staff treated us so well since it was our birthdays.
The weather was perfect and the hotel is very nice.

Thank you very much for making our stay memorable !!!!

• Stayed July 2014, travelled with friends
2 Thank Pamela K
MLAGeneralManager, General Manager at Melia Las Americas, responded to this review, 21 July 2014
Dear Pamela K

What an honor that you and your friend have chosen us for celebrating your birthay !, thank you so much!
What joy it brings us that we were able to make your special day special and your vacacion a memorable one !!
We will transmit your satisfation to our entertainment staff and this will be an important motivation for them, to keep our guests happy.
We hope to welcome you back again for your next birthday or at any time soon. The whole team of Melia Las America thanks you for sharing yourexperince in Trip Advisor and wish you a great time at home.

Best regards,

Simcoe, Canada
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 July 2014

We went to the Melia Las Americas in Cuba for our 40th. anniversary in May (2014). It was the best choice we could have made. The hotel was beautiful - rooms were very clean (Cecilia was wonderful) - all staff very friendly, even the people working in the yards, and the food was excellent. Our room was a 2 story bungalow suite - it was beutiful and very roomy. We have travelled a lot and have been to several different hotels - this was one of the best. The beaches are beautiful and very clean and the golf course was great!! it was nice to be able to walk to the course from the Hotel and not have to get transportation - the view from the course was fabulous!!! The entertainment was among the best we have ever expierienced, There are live singing groups every day and night but the best was a group consisting of 2 men & 2 (sometimes 3) ladies - unfortunately I have misplaced the name of the group, but they were FABULOUS!!!! ( I believe the one man's name was Trevor) Their voices were unbelieveable. We couldn't walk away from them. On the Friday night, the hotel put on a special evening for all who were there celebrating an anniversay or on their honeymoon. We all recieved a personal invitation - sent to our room - to attend. They decorated an area in the lobby where we were all invited to gather and were greeted by "Cupid". This same group of singers entertained us, we were served champaign and "wedding cake" and we all had reservations, prebooked by the hotel, at the International resturant where we recieved an excellent meal while being entertained by a 5 piece instrumental group. It all made for a very memorable anniversary. I would HIGHLY recommend this hotel to anyone, but I would caution those who have a hard time getting around as there is a lot of walking and stairs to climb. If I had one recomendation it would be that they improve the quality of their drinks - we found them to be a little too watered down. All in all - we are very happy with the choice we made for our 40th. anniversary vacation and will definitely be revisiting the Melia Las Americas.

Room Tip: If you want to be close to everything - a room in the main building. If you like more privacy and d...
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Linda S
MLAGeneralManager, General Manager at Melia Las Americas, responded to this review, 19 July 2014
Dear Linda S,
It is with a great pleasure that I read your comments on Trip advisor. It is so encouraging to read that you love everything in our hotel. Thank you for highlighting especially the cleanliness all around our resort and the genuine attitude of our personnel that made you enjoyed our facilities and services. We are very proud to have a positive, professional and friendly Staff. Thank you so much for sharing your experience.
We appreciate also for mentioning the special anniversary party we organize every friday. As well we thank you for letting us know you enjoyed very much our Entertainment Program and our Entertainment team.
I am so pleased to read that you are happy to have chosen Meliá Las Américas for your 40th annivarsary, let me again send you my best congratulation for this great celebration. We are sincerely grateful for recommanding us and waiting for your next visit, let us assure you, that you will enjoy again unforgettable moments.
Sunny Greeting from Varadero.

Mississauga, Canada
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 July 2014

If you love the beach and you love golf... this is the place. Varadero Golf club is literally one minute walk from the front of the lobby. Both the resort and the golf course are amazing.

The staff are amazing. You can tell that their main priority is customer satisfaction. Bartenders, waiters, and waitresses are very friendly and and always willing to serve you. The entertainers/singers are the most talented. The manager of the hotel is awesome. Goes around every night to ensure all the guests are having a wonderful time. That is the first I've ever seen a manager involved with the guests. A+ for customer satisfaction.

I would have loved to see better selection of food. My one suggestion would be to have a bbq pit at the beach (serving burgers, roast pork ribs, steak, rice, seafood etc) - This would be a great addition for the resort and allow for the guests to enjoy the beach more instead of having to go inside for the lunch buffet.

I will definitely be returning to this resort.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank Mark M
Dear Mark M,
Thank you very much for choosing Meliá Las Américas for yourbeach and golf vacation. It is nice to know you had an amazing experience in our resort. I am glad to read you appreciated particularly the kindness off all our Staff and Management Team.
I thank you for highlighting our proactive and positive attitude, we are, at MLA, like a big family and your words are the best award we may ever receive.
We appreciated your opinion about the selection of food . Your comment is important to us, because it is only by a careful study of our clients' reports and suggestions that we can correct possible deficiencies and improve our standards of service.
I hope to have the opportunity of welcome you soon again.
Best regards,

Laval, Canada
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 July 2014

I stayed at Melia Las Americas as a repeat guest (second time) with my mother for two weeks.

We arrived at 1:30 pm but only had our room 2 hours and a half after - they kept telling us to come back after 30 minutes and then asking us to wait again for another 30 minutes. Honestly, the waiting didn’t bother us as much as the way we were treated at the reception desk. The staff doesn’t seem to be considerate of the guests waiting: we’d wait a significant amount of time to speak to a member only to be told to wait again. In these circumstances, a head’s raise with a hand gesture or quick verbal exchange to ask us to return at a later time would have been more appreciated - empathy compensating.
We requested a move after we got our room because it was not beach side and consequently implied exposition to a lot of noise pollution that woke us up on our first morning.
Our beach-side room was much better. However, useless were our efforts to request for coffee sachets to be refilled every day. Most of the time, the minibar was not restocked with beer and soda either. Otherwise, the room was always very clean and our maid Terri was very amiable.
One more thing about the reception staff, I noticed fishy things happening when exchanging currency. Therefore, I recommend everyone to calculate the proper amount that should be returned before exchanging money. Note also that WIFI is 4.50 pesos - NOT 5 pesos.

The animation team was just as energetic and lively as I remembered them to be. A shout out to the animators that made our stay unforgettable: enthusiastic Ariel, eloquent Lirenia, sensual Roberto Rodriguez, charming Beverly, dynamic Yeni, smiling Joanna, remarkable Julio and amiable Yhosvanni. Dj Yelien did a great job at the beach and in show nights. Handsome Ernesto always entertained us around the bars and during supper. Miguel Angel's artistic hand did beautiful work. The shows at night were very impressive and the dancers displayed great talent and energy. The only recommendation I have is that the shows be more diverse for guests who are staying for more than a week - to avoid watching the same shows every week. Thank you all for keeping us smiling and entertained.

We always had great fun at the lobby bar next to the buffet with our adorable Leslie who was always very alert and therefore gave rapid service with a hint of love. Our nights at the bar weren't complete without her! A special thanks to our other dearest barmaids at the lobby bar: Yusimi, Miriella, Rosanna and Berkis. For your information, there was also another bar, La Cascada, with a more romantic atmosphere (white leather sofas and dim lights – great for couples) that was open 24/7 - the singers were great and the service was good.

The buffet food was okay. There was a great variety of cheese. My complaints are:
1) many of the preparations were too salty - I recommend that the cooks at the grill be trained to ask guests if they want salt in their food.
2) wine and coffee were diluted with water. Sometimes milk too.
3) breads were sometimes all very dry.
Our favorite cook was Lorenzo - he made the best omelets, fish and meat. Breakfast was the best. George and Enrique gave us amazing service at the buffet. I recommend the servers at the buffet to divide tasks (such as filling water or coffee cups) in order for the service to be faster (sometimes we had to wait a long time before we had water or utensils).

I recommend everyone to have lunch at the snack bar close to the bungalows. Barman Alberto gives more than amazing service there and we express much gratitude toward him! The cook at the snack bar was also very professional and made great food – fried fresh fish with shrimps was our favorite.

The beach bar’s service was bad. There often was no alcohol in our drinks even if we asked for it. We quickly learned to avoid the beach bar to the profit of the pool bar right next to it where the service was faster and where drinks were better. A special thanks to two great barmen at the pool bar whose names were Javier and Raul.

The à la carte restaurants’ food and service was good. The wine finally tasted like wine. If you ask for a table outside the Italian restaurant, you will appreciate a beautiful view of the sea as you enjoy dinner – watch out for the mosquitoes that peak at sunset! We didn’t enjoy the service (unsmiling and felt unwilling…) at La Arcada and for the lobster, it actually was a langoustine (contrary to what the menu said).

I am a beach freak so the beach is the main reason why I returned to Melia – the water is often still, hot, turquoise and crystal clear. The white sand is also clean of trash and seaweed. We spent all of our 14 days at the beach, being marveled by the beauty of our view…

Overall, we had a fantastic stay at Melia and I will certainly return when I get the chance with hopes that my critic would have helped improve the hotel for the best.

Jessica

• Stayed June 2014, travelled with family
4 Thank JessyHS
Dear JessyHS,,
We are thankful for taking the time to share your opinions on Trip Advisor. I assure you that the information you have provided will allow us to identify opportunities for improvement in the services we offer. Your remarks will be analyzed carefully by the Heads of our departments and their staff and based on them, we will be working to guarantee with more efficiency our guests´ expectations.
I am offering my sincere apologies for not meeting all your hopes and needs regarding some of our services but we are happy to read that overall you had a pleasant stay.
We thank you as well for highlighting the enthusiasm and friendliness of our animation team and be sure that we will transmit your nice words to the ones you named personally.
This will be a great motivation to go on with their lively art and make more Guests happy and entertained.
In the same way I will pass your thanlthulness to our great Bar-Team as well as I will prize the Kitchen Staff of the snack bar, that you enjoyed so much.
We are very pleased to read, that you will choose us again for your next vacation so that we will have another opportunity to offer the service you deserve and to change the part that did not completely satisfied you..
Receive our best regards.

London, Ontario, Canada
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 July 2014

I have previously stayed at the Melia Las Americas last year in October and cant say enough about the place its fantastic and I have travelled a lot. I had some queries and got in touch with the hotel Jeffe Ventes to be exact and must say I am impressed by how fast, he got back to me and how efficient he is. Lots of times you send emails places with a query and no answer so you just book some where else. Excellent service. Cant wait to come back

• Stayed October 2013, travelled with friends
1 Thank Helen M
MLAGeneralManager, General Manager at Melia Las Americas, responded to this review, 18 July 2014
Dear HelenM,
We truly appreciate your comments on Trip Advisor regarding your second visit to Meliá Las Américas. We are very pleased that we could help you so quickly and sudisfatory about your queries.For us it is very significant to know that all our guests enjoy our facilities and services oat any time, and we thank you for contacting Guest Services and let us know your needs..
It is true that our team is just awesome and I am extremely proud of our employee’s attitude. I will gladly pass on your gratitude to them. I think this is definitely the only way to be as proactive as possible and to react to any of your needs almost immediately.
We value your preference. It would be our pleasure to welcome you back anytime soon.
With sunny regards.