“Great hotel, great atmosphere and lovely rooms! Worth a visit.”

IBEROSTAR Laguna Azul
Ranked #28 of 65 Hotels in Varadero
York, United Kingdom
“Great hotel, great atmosphere and lovely rooms! Worth a visit.”
Reviewed 5 May 2012

We've never used the Iberostar brand before but have heard good things, so we were looking forward to this trip. We've been far afield before to Mexico and the Maldives so we were excited about another long haul destination and Cuba didn't disappoint! Thomson/First Choice however did, but that's another story, the hotel itself was fantastic!

Set at the far end of the Varadero strip, the resort is quite substantial, the buildings are within pretty gardens with lots of amenities that are free for guest use, such as watersports equipment, pool table, cigar bar, jacuzzi, many pools and the lovely beach. While the hotel was quite booked up, it was easy enough to find a spot on the beach (our preferred place to be!) Previous reviewers mentioned an issue with the towel availability - we had no such problems, so that was a positive. To be perfectly honest, we only changed them two or three times, as they dried quickly in the gorgeous weather and really, they don't get that much use in a week to require changing every day unless you have OCD! We had a little issue at check in regarding the distinction of "twin" and "double" and the problems this pose for a "married couple" but I blame the tour operator and the issue was sorted in half an hour.

First off, the rooms are lovely. Very modern and tasteful, clean and well maintained. No ripped bedding or towels or dubious stains. The air con was good and very welcome! Occasionally (twice for us) the hot water for the shower was only tepid, but hey, it's Cuba. It was warm enough for a wash so not a real issue. The rooms can smell a little musty, but it's a humid climate (we experienced similar in the Maldives) and if you sniff the soft furnishings/bedding it's all clean and fresh and simply in the air. Open your patio doors to freshen it and it does the trick. The maid service was good, but the re-stocking of the mini bar a little erratic. All you had to do was ask though and it was sorted. They appreciate a peso a day and we supplemented this with a pack of chewing gum or sweets which we'd brought with us from home. She even wrote me a little thank you note, which was lovely.

The food was a pleasant suprise, good quality and a great variety. I use my husband as a barometer for cleanliness and hygiene standards, he gets sick easily on holiday as he really does have OCD and he was absolutely fine here. (As for Egypt and Turkey can't say the same thing!) I hear people say "repitious" about all inclusive places, but that's because we all like to help ourselves to a bit of everything, where at home you would have one meat at a time and some veg. It's bound to be repetitious if you have a bit of chicken, beef, pork and fish all in one sitting every night! The drinks were the best part - hit the cocktails for some great flavours and the beers are palatable too. Nothing to complain about here! Drop in a peso or two for a tip as they work hard and it's much appreciated. We didn't tip on every occasion, but if you want efficient table service, it greased the wheels a bit. You can change money readily at the reception, rates ok, but not the best, but it is a closed currency, so you take what you can get. There are no ATM's on site, so take enough cash and GBP had the best rate of exchange. There is an ATM in Varadero which is a bus ride away. Make sure you take snorkelling equipment if you plan on doing this, they do not sell it ANYWHERE!! Hard to believe, but my friend found this out to her detriment. The beach offers no real snorkelling opportunities, compared to Egypt it's rubbish. But it wasn't why we were here, so that was no issue. It looks nice enough, not the best beach I've ever seen, Mexico tops it, but still pretty.

They have a few buffet restaurants and some speciality restaurants. Book them on the first day to guarantee availability. The best for us was the Tex Mex and the Japanese, both very good! The tradiitonal Cuban was dubious and our waitress surly at best, avoid! The theatre entertainment was popular and quite good and the nightclub tiny, but a bit of a laugh! I suspect Varadero may be more fun for a night out. Taxis are readilty available but costly, (and directly proportional to how vintage the car is!) whereas the sightseeing bus is every half hour and 5 CUC for a whole day, running 9am to 9pm. The little markets in Varadero are good and the vendors friendly and not pushy. It's so much better than the aggressive nature of Turkey or Egypt. The fish restaurants are really nice too, get your laughing gear around the lobster - delicious! There's a Beatles bar, Al Capone's house (now a restaurant), Josone park all with easy reach. I'd also recommend a trip to Havana, it's not to missed! We took a private hire taxi guide and that meant we could go at our own pace and see what we really wanted to see. Brilliant! The cigar factory trip is ok, but theres not a lot to it, the shop after selling cigars is good though and we spent about £40 and have nearly £160 worth of cigars for it. Rum is cheap as chips too, apparently according to our guide Santiago de Cuba is the best.

Finally my only other top tips would be watch out, the mozzies are about on a night! Avoid the Dolphinarium, it looked crap and from what we heard from other guests, is exactly that, let's say the dolphins are not their first priority. Keep your eyes peeled for the pelicans on the beach (they're awesome!) the many curly-tailed lizards and agamas, and my favourite thing, the hummingbird who lives in the lobby! I kid you not, she's fantastic, a beautiful Cuban Emerald hummingbird and she has made her nest in the branches of a pot plant in the lobby. Leave her in peace and she's a real privilege to watch. Overall it was great holiday and we'd love to go back one day.

Room Tip: Blocks starting 16000 and 17000 are nearer the lobby away from the nightclub and the many, many wedd...
  • Stayed April 2012, travelled as a couple
20 Thank Mandak13
Director A, Manager at IBEROSTAR Laguna Azul, responded to this review, 2 June 2012
Dear "Mandak13"

First of all we would like to thank you for choosing Iberostar Laguna Azul for your so valuable vacations.

Thank you very much for your good comments and reviews about the hotel, staff and services, opinions like yours are very important to keep working every day to exceed the expectations of our customers and achieve ever greater improvement of our staff.

Hoping that you do decide to visit us in the future please accept our best regards

Iberostar Laguna Azul

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,280)
  • Finnish first
  • Greek first
  • Polish first
  • Slovak first
Brantford, Canada
Reviewed 5 May 2012

My mom and I returned on Monday from Iberostart Laguna Azul - we traveled together and met my cousin there who was in a wedding. This is my first trip to Cuba and it was awesome. I enjoyed it much more than the Dominican and found there was less people "begging" and more people who were truly working hard regardless; and very much appreciative of a tip rather than expecting it. The Staff at this resort truly make it - they work so hard to make your stay pleasant. Clean resort, gardeners and towel guys like to give you flowers! We were in Building 17 - not great scenery from our balcony but quiet room good for sleeping. Our bathroom door had a tendency to stick but this aside- no complaints. We didn't use our mini bar much but found water and pop was replenished without issues. We had no problems getting clean towels for the beach- and only one day was there an issue with bathroom towels being hard to come by in the morning- but our maid came later in the day to personally deliver a couple.
I never Critique food as I'm a picky eater at home and even worse away... so I never think it's fair for anyone to have a negative view based on me... I may have lived on pizza pasta and fries but.. I lived, and I did also find chicken, beef and salads; certainly not any worse than anywhere else I've been (mexico/dominican) but..thats me. Certainly not a ton of variety (but it IS CUBA.) I recommend the pasta at Buffet (you get to watch Silvio heat up ingredients of your choices and pick which pasta you like.) If you attend any of the 3 snack bars by the pools ORDER THE PIZZA.
Great Ice CREAM at Buffet or Ice Cream Stand (open til 4.) This is the first resort I have been to where it was NEVER an issue to find a lounge at poolside OR under a hut at the beach- sometimes it was a little more difficult to come by cushions (only available poolside) but- no complaints really overall. The disco is not too bad sometimes the music is better than others. Bring your insulated travel mugs :)
DRINKS: every bar makes the differently. PERSONALY had the best luck with Miami Vice and Vodka and lemonade from the Beach Bar, OR- the bald bartender at the lobby bar!
Speaking of the lobby there is a hummingbird nest in a tree between the piano and the bar entrance. (Very cool.!)
This is also the first trip I've been on where we skipped the excursions - 2 hours to Havanah by bus was too much for me to leave my spot !
BRING A VOLTAGE CONVERTER. We were told it was all upgraded but its all still 220V. I was able to plug in most things: read your electronics most are good to 240V but if it isn't you can't plug it in without a voltage converter.
Internet is 10 bucks for an hour card and it is pretty slow. No WiFi. Telus phones work, but expensive without a plan.
ONE MORE THING: Keep your 25 pesos for exit tax and TREAT YOURSELF: 25 additional pesos per person at the Cuban Airport will "buy you" into the VIP lounge : All inclusive lounge that is air conditioned, and has drinks, snacks and big screen tvs along with wall outlets which are all converted to OUR VOLTAGE... and you dont stand in line. A nice way to end the trip- and
THANK YOU to the fellow in the lobby wearing the buffalo Sabres hat last Monday that gave me that little tidbit of info - Best Kept Secret and soooo hellpful!!!

Room Tip: Rooms in blocks 19/20 are furthest from the lobby and pool and closest to the beach. I
  • Stayed April 2012, travelled with family
5 Thank CrystalCourtz
Dear "Crystalcourtz"

Prince George, Canada
Reviewed 4 May 2012

A great vacation for our family. many thanks to Daniel for the Spanish lessons, Oneysis, the lady of the ice cream, our maid Yohania and all the other folks who made our trip. The resort entertainment was fantastic. Before going to Cuba I was warned about the food being bland. Actually if you are addicted to fried and processed food you will be disappointed but we found once you get over the no added sugar and other "stuff" you will eat just fine. The Italian A la Carte was the best of them, however the Cuban with the "langosta" was a close second. The hotel is well laid out, clean and modern , however the people who run this hotel give it the 5 star from me. Many thanks to the staff.

Room Tip: Rooms around the main pool may be a bit noisier
  • Stayed March 2012, travelled with family
3 Thank David B
Dear "David B"

Halifax, Canada
Reviewed 3 May 2012

Food was TERRIBLE. I have been at other hotels in Cuba and the food was only passable; but, here it was disgusting. Not only that, half of our wedding party of 45 had food poisoning.

Cuba hasn't figured tourism out yet: we went on a tour to Havana (sold to us at the hotel). Bus was nice. Stopped half way (i.e. 1 hr into a 2 hr trip) at a government roadside place where we were invited to use the toilets and buy a pina colada. Pina Colada was good. Toilets: no toilet seat; no toilet paper. A lady stood at the doorway selling sheets of toilet paper and collecting tips on the way out for the FINE job of preparing these disgusting toilets for our enjoyment!

Got to Havana: same thing at the government restaurant we stopped at for lunch - this time, the toilets wouldn't even flush - yet, there was a proud lady collecting tips!

I have stayed at other 5stars in the Caribbean. This one doesn't even deserve a 1star by comparison.

We'll not only NOT go back to Cuba; but, we will not go to any other Iberostar - they should have exerted more influence.

Beach was nice

weather was nice

Room Tip: our room overlooked both the teatro and the lounge: LOUD drunks to wee hours!
  • Stayed April 2012, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Bill C
Director A, Manager at IBEROSTAR Laguna Azul, responded to this review, 5 May 2012
Dear "Bill C"

First of all I would like to thank you for choosing an Iberostar resort for your holyday.

We apologize for all of the inconveniences you mentioned and we are very sorry that the service received was not up to the standards you expected and deserved.

According the food poisoning of the whole group we do not have any report of our medical site at the hotel and be sure that if it was some food poisoning problem at the hotel with a medium of 1400 guests at home during yor stay the medicals reports on site would have been larger.

About the different problems you find during your trips and excursions are not related with the hotel and services provided

We sincerely thank you for your comments. Please be assured that we will take them all into consideration, in order to improve our services and make Iberostar Laguna Azul a better choice for our clients.

Best Regards

Management.
Iberostar Laguna Azul

Travellers are raving about these Varadero hotels

Toronto, Canada
Reviewed 3 May 2012

This is an amazing resort in Cuba almost near the end of the Varadero peninsula. This was our first time in Cuba and my boyfriend and I went with another couple. We arrived around 11:00am got an early check-in (regular check-in time is 3:00pm) which was great but unfortunately, they did not get our request for king size bed and gave us two twin instead. Not a big problem, I went to the reception and had that fixed and got our room the next day around 4:00pm.

The resort is very clean, brightly lit and very spacious. The staff was very friendly and speak very good English. There's a bar in the lobby that opens from 9:00am until 11:00pm and served a very mean latte! In the evening, there are entertainers in the lobby bar (pianist, band or saxophonist) so it's quite relaxing.

Food, don't go to Cuba expecting to eat a five-star meal. The food in Cuba is known to be mediocre at best but it was decent here. After you figure out what you like to eat in the buffet, then you'll start to enjoy yourself. I personally LOVE the pizza during lunch and dinner. We got three à la carte restaurant and we choose Tex Mex, Cuban, and steak and fish. The only one we enjoyed was Cuban. The others ones were way below buffet standard. Aside from the food, the drinks are good and if you like your alcohol, then this is for you. They add SO MUCH alcohol in all the drinks. I am not so much of a drinker so I always ask for little to no alcohol. They also have a 24h snack bar which is great for people who wake up early and miss the breakfast buffet (7am - 10am) or people who just want a light snack and doesn't want to walk to the buffet (even though it's not far)

Beach is awesome! Walking into the water, the ground is really rocky/prickly then dips down to soft sand. I usually dread walking through the rocky part cause it actually hurts my feet and there are also large rocks in the water near the shoreline which my friend and I both stumped our toes on it so please be careful! It's never difficult to find an umbrella and beach chairs even if it's late afternoon. The good thing about this resort is that there are (I think) three main pools and one pool on either side of the hotel for people who enjoy the quiet more.

There are daily activities in the main pool (yoga, water dancing, etc) and also on the beach which makes it very interactive for everyone. They have nightly shows that starts at 10:00pm every night and usually a pre-show which includes guys vs. girls theme that gets pretty wacky sometimes!

We loved our room! (The one with the king size bed of course!) It was spacious, brightly lit, beautiful view of the main pools, closet space and a huge tub! The cleaning lady was so thorough with cleaning we were definitely happy. The mini bar in our room is supposed to be filled every two days but we left a note for the cleaning lady that we needed more water and she left us two bottles!

The excursions were a ton of fun. If you go, DO NOT miss out on the catamaran trip! We fell in love with the dolphins immediately! It was very interactive and took a lot of pictures. We also stopped by Cayo Blanco, a beautiful beach with white sand and clear clear clear blue water! Then we sailed back to the marina. It was worth the $101 CUC. Very happy with that. We also went to the Havana city trip. Visited old Havana and modern Havana. I LOVE that city. The buildings are absolutely adorable and amazing. I wish we had time to roam around the city. If you plan to buy cigars, buy them from the cigar factory store. They are MUCH MUCH MUCH cheaper than buying from the cigar shop at the resort or in duty free. We got 10 cigars (Cohiba, Romeo & Juliette, Monte Cristo, Partage) for $53 CUC. The people are also very friendly. Nothing to worry about.

I hope I covered everything. Overall, very happy with this place. Will definitely recommend it and go back.

• Stayed April 2012, travelled with friends
3 Thank Irene T
Dear "Irene T"

Oshawa, Canada
Reviewed 3 May 2012

This was my first time to Cuba and was warned about the food, however I was pleasantly surprised as at this resort the food was fine and a good selection. Of course I've had better in other places, resorts I've travelled too but for the most part the food was fine or at least with the wide selction you could find something that you liked.
We went with a group of approx 40 people for a wedding and everything went off without a hitch and was absolutely beautiful in the open chapel overlooking the ocean!!!!
The rooms were very large and clean, I had a single room on my own with a balcony overlooking the main pool area. Cuba is the only place you can travel to where it doesnt cost you double to be in a room on your own, very good price for singles travelling alone!
It was vey safe and fun!
Would go back!

• Stayed June 2011, travelled on business
1 Thank kkmandy
Dear "kkmandy"

Winnipeg, Canada
Reviewed 3 May 2012

We stayed at this resort in the beginning of March for 1 week. We vacation several times a year throughout the caribbean and Mexico so I feel that I have a good sense of comparison.
The main problem with this hotel is the food. It is not a pleasant experience to visit the main buffet, food is mis-handled consistently, and the quality is extremely poor. There were a few notable choices: pizza bar and omlette bar. You could count on these for something good to eat. The a la carte restuarants that we went to (Italian and Steak and Seafood) were ok. The way to reserve the restuarants was not. It was a zoo, extremely disorganized and we waited in line for 1 hour to make the 2 resos we got.
The rooms were good. We didn't have any "musty smell" and the maids were great. They refilled the bar fridge and kept the room very clean.
The beach and pools are great. Both are kept very clean however there is a major issue with towels. We were there for 1 week and didn't get a towel until the 4th day. Apparently the laudry is offsite which is why they run out. Maybe an investment into buying some more towels is necessary. If I had been there with my children, the lack of towels would have been a big problem.
Note: Beach side grill routinely serves raw hamburgers and hotdogs. Ask to have it on the grill for longer. (several people in our party extremely ill, requiring medical attention)
The grounds of the resort are beautiful and the beach one of the nicest on the stretch (which you could walk for miles).
The Cuban people are wonderful, very interesting and fun, don't miss the day trip to Havana. It is a must. The catamaran tour is also very good.
All being said, Cuba definitley a place to visit, there is much history and the beaches are wonderful. However, if this is a once in a lifetime vacation or if you can't overlook the major problems of food and drink (not a paradise for a foodie!!!) then you should make a different destination choice. There are many places to visit near this price point where you will get better quality food and drink.

• Stayed March 2012, travelled with friends