“Beware of lack of food safety at the buffet” 1 of 5 bubbles
Review of IBEROSTAR Laguna Azul

IBEROSTAR Laguna Azul
Ranked #28 of 63 Hotels in Varadero
Picton, Canada
“Beware of lack of food safety at the buffet”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 May 2012

I just got back from the Iberostar Laguna Azul with friends two days ago and I still have diarrhea. We had a good time, rooms were nice, beach was nice, excursions were fun, HOWEVER: as long as we stayed away from the buffets. . . be very careful, there is no food safety anywhere!! We lined up at the grill for chicken and after the chicken breast was ready the staff member used the flippers of the raw chicken to get it for us and put it on the plate! At this point we pulled our plates back and declined. The heating lamps on one of the stations were broken but food was still served at that station. The trays had cooled off, and fish and pork had been sitting there for a while without heat lamp. When we pointed that out to staff they said the lamp was broken. Yes, we noticed, and we said that it is dangerous to offer food on that station. The staff just said they knew about the risks, shrug their shoulders and continued serving anyway. That is irresponsible and the management of the hotel should take action and train their kitchen staff better and take precautions!! On the flight home several other people who had stayed at our resort as well were battling diarrhea too. I've stayed at two other Iberostars in Cuba before and many other resorts in the carribean and have NEVER seen such a lax approach to food safety anywhere. Iberostar has to do something about the management there, or this is an accident waiting to happen and someone will really get hurt or die from food poisoning. And it is easy to fix, management just take some basic food safety course in Canada and teach the staff. What a disappointment for a so-called 5 star resort. . . :-(

Room Tip: House 11 is really quiet, furthest away from the main area.
  • Stayed May 2012, travelled with friends
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
10 Thank Matibi C
Director A, Manager at IBEROSTAR Laguna Azul, responded to this review, 2 June 2012
Dear "Matibi C"

First of all I would like to thank you for choosing an Iberostar resort for your holyday.

We apologize for all of the inconveniences you mentioned and we are very sorry that the service received was not up to the standards you expected and deserved.

We sincerely thank you for your comments. Please be assured that we will take them all into consideration, in order to improve our services and make Iberostar Laguna Azul a better choice for our clients.

Best Regards

Management.
Iberostar Laguna Azul

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,235)
  • Finnish first
  • Greek first
  • Polish first
  • Slovak first
Hamilton, Canada
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 May 2012

We just returned after staying 1 week at Iberostar. Do not be fooled it is not 5 or 4 stars resort.
It is been build by high Iberostar standard. Rooms nice and spacious. Nicely kept and design ground.
Now it is come to service and the rest
Upon arrival we stood in line for check in. It was long because only 2 girls tried to accommodate
more than 20 guests (another 4 girls were busy with something else). We came at the resort around noon and had to wait till 3 pm until our room is ready.which is not really bad but inconvenient. While waiting I met a family arrived at 2 am and 12 hours later still did not get a room.
We were able to get a beach towels and second day of our stay but weren t able to change it during our stay (they have problem with laundry I guess).
We tip a made to clean our room she did OK but a few times I had run after her for fresh towels she forgot to leave.
There is plenty of food in a main buffet but not much you enjoy to eat (plain and not well prepared )
People I talked to say "This is Cuba" Don t agreed you paid not a few pesos for this trip.
Overall if you traveled to different resorts in the region you may not like it or if you paid more than $800 a person you paid too much.

Room Tip: Blocks 17,18,19 located conveniently close to everything
  • Stayed May 2012, travelled as a couple

Best Regards

Management.
Ottawa, Canada
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 May 2012

We had an amazing wedding at Iberostar Languna Azul. We got married on May 4,2012. The wedding was beautiful just what my Husband and I dreamed of. There were a few mix ups for the wedding but it all worked out good. Make sure that you ask if the music from the pool area can be lowered during your wedding ceremony if it is up on the fifth floor. Otherwise it is too loud and you can't hear everything this was a tip from another bride it was very helpful. The wedding is a very short ceremony but beautiful. If You book the photographer at the resort keep in mind that they are very rushed to go to other weddings. Have an idea of pictures you want the photographers to take. The Photographers did a great job with our pictures. The hair dresser at the resort did an amazing job on my wedding party and myself it is worth getting your hair done there. If you can rent out the Disco if you can it is great fun for the whole wedding party to enjoy. We had 20 guests with us at the resort and there was a lot to do for every age group. This resort is very beautiful and does a really good job with the weddings

• Stayed May 2012, travelled with friends
4 Thank LisaO730
Dear "LisaO730"

First of all we would like to thank you for choosing Iberostar Laguna Azul for your so valuable vacations.

Thank you very much for your good comments and reviews about the hotel, staff and services, opinions like yours are very important to keep working every day to exceed the expectations of our customers and achieve ever greater improvement of our staff.

Hoping that you do decide to visit us in the future please accept our best regards

Quebec City, Canada
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 May 2012

Large resort with many pools and large beach where you can take nice, long walks.
Food at the buffet is okay (it's Cuba...) with lots of choices. À la carte restaurants are tough to book if you're staying for less than a week.
Good resort for children.
Excellent service.
Ask for higher quality alcohol for your drinks or else they'll serve you the cheap house liquor.
Good place to go in Cuba.

• Stayed March 2012, travelled with family
7 Thank carocora
Dear "carocora"

Toronto
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 May 2012

Fun, fun, fun. I stayed at this resort with my girlfriend last year in May. From the moment we arrived to the moment we left we were treated with absolute kindness and quality service.

We were initially nervous about the food after reading some reviews on the food in Cuba in general and to our surprise, the food was great! My girlfriend is a vegetarian and health conscious and even she found herself more than satisfied.

Our room was always clean and our fridge was always full. My girlfriend requested "Cola Light" in place of the regular coke that came in the room and she was given a bottle and a few cans extra. We had one issue with a clog in the sink but 5 minutes after we called the front desk, someone immediately came to fix it.

The beach is beautiful and well maintained. There is not a far walk from the hotel to the beach, which is nice! We've stayed at other hotels where you need a cart ride to get to the beach.

We did not take advantage of any of the free activities the resort had to offer (although my girlfriend did the following year when she took her whole family back the resort-because she loved it so much) but we did go on the Havana tour and watch the nightly entertainment.

The Havana Tour was AMAZING. We had an authentic, cultural experience and came home with gorgeous pictures. I highly recommend it! It is a little pricy but it is well worth it.. however, it takes up an entire day and you are only given one meal. If I were to do it again, I would bring drinks and snacks.

Overall, Iberostar Laguna Azul is a great resort for families and couples. It is truly beautiful and the staff is very accommodating! Will return!

• Stayed April 2012, travelled with family
11 Thank cubafreaktoronto
Dear "cubafreaktoronto"

Mascouche, Quebec, Canada
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 May 2012

I’d like to begin by saying that I’m not one of the sour grapes that enjoys criticizing about everything like some reviewers here. Yes, there are ups and downs, but let’s not focus on the negative stuff.
I might repeat what I mentioned on my other review with the correction of the names as well.
We (15 or more people for a wedding) arrived before noon. José Javier, my first contact with the staff (which is great), helped me with my luggage. We sat comfortably in the main lounge, while waiting for our rooms to be ready. The wind was refreshing. I was told that humidity is normal in May.
My cleaning lady, Aimée did an excellent job. I loved giving her gifts along with pesos daily, which was well deserved.
My room was ready, and I was delighted how nice it is. My air conditioning was working well. I had no channels on my TV and it was fixed shortly, I’m not here to watch TV but enjoy watching the news while getting ready in the morning.
I went to the buffet getting something to eat. I was told that the food is terrible in Cuba. I didn’t find the food so bad at all. There are plenty of choices, all you need to do, is be patient and chose carefully what you want. I love fish, and wasn’t disappointed. My favorite waitress is youldely (the blond girl on the terrace, not sure for the spelling) for the breakfast service. My favorite waiter is Raul for the evening service. We had three A la Carte meal. The Texmex was Ok. The second I don’t remember but had red snapper, which was great. And third, the Romantico was my favorite one, I had lamb.
The wedding was moving and lovely. The ceremony was held near the beach. Alain, in charge at our table, is excellent. The married couple didn’t pay twice for their wedding. They were very satisfied.
As for the pool and beach entertainers, Yenyel and Amed were amazing. They went out of their way to find me for a prized I won. Who can forget Lilly, she was amazing too.
Delowa makes great cappuccinos at the Snack Bar.
Did I mention that the staff is great? I miss them already.
I agree with another reviewer when he or she mentioned that we are guests, and we shall act like one.
I’m sorry if I misspelled anyone.
I’ll see you in the following November, I’m looking forward to it.

• Stayed May 2012, travelled with family
7 Thank Stephen L
Dear "Stephen L"

toronto
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 May 2012

last july we tried this resort on the spur of a moment last minute, and here we are just 10 months later we went back without any hesitation,even more amazing second time around great resort amazing setup everything is really close,and the people are really warm and genuine, and believe me if you are repeat guest they really do not forget you as we found out for people that really want to close to everything try bloc#16 floors 2-3-4, rooms are very clean, and good size,air was always very cold, shows are the best we have seen in the carribean ,the food was really good diff, variety of fish every night,steak not so nice, hey we can"t have everything recommend this hotel above the rui, memories,or the tryp or any other near by before I go I would just like to thank the few peoples names I could remember that made this trip what it really was there were to many smiling faces and helping hands just to absorb in one wk. really big thanks to ALEX-ENTERTAINMENT MGR. DANIEL- BY POOL CRAZY LILLY, dilowa -beach bar joseyline-peninsular rest. anita and last but not least ANISLEIDY MESA and her bellboy husband check in took 7 minutes check out 5 min. thanks a lot guys your the best and to the ones we couldn,t remember thank you all see you next year

• Stayed May 2012, travelled as a couple