“Nice Hotel with mould”

Ranked #28 of 65 Hotels in Varadero
Wroclaw, Poland
“Nice Hotel with mould”
Reviewed 22 July 2014

Nice hotel. Very friendly staff. Good food.Clean rooms but - there is mould on the ground floor rooms - I did not check upper floors. The mould smell is everywhere and you have to wash all your clothes at home. It is visible on the walls as small black dots - typical Aspergillus niger strains. It is not very healthy because moulds is allergic and carcinogenic.
However if you choose the hotel upper floors you will be very satisfied.
There is no Wi-Fi in the rooms. Only in the lobby for 5 CUC per hour - slow speed.
Beauty-full beach, very good drinks.
Evaluation is so good because it is on Cuba. It is not Aruba or Dominicana - the country is very poor. If you await super luxury hotels do not go to Cuba.
There is a majority of middle age people - not for elderly.

Room Tip: Choose at least first floor. Buildings 16, 17, 18 or 20. Other buildings may be loud.
2 Thank Wojciech M
Director D, Gerente at IBEROSTAR Laguna Azul, responded to this review, 23 July 2014
Dear clients,

Thank you for having chosen IBEROSTAR Laguna Azul for your vacation. It was our pleasure to host you as our guests. We appreciate your positive review and haven taken all your suggestions into consideration to make some improvements. Thank you for your feedback. If you decide to visit us again in Varadero, please do not hesitate to contact us.

Online Reputation Manager

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,281)
  • Finnish first
  • Greek first
  • Polish first
  • Slovak first
Reviewed 22 July 2014

We went on a girls week. The food can get a little boring but other than that, what a beautiful spot. You can walk for miles on the beach. The service is fantastic(ok, there was some kind of an issue with getting towels, I have forgotten already-lol). The a la cartes were very good. Nicely spaced sections for different types of experiences-romantic, party goer and so on. We never had a problem getting chairs.
Visually it is amazing

Room Tip: We were in building 12. Great location, close to everything. Noise was not an issue. Take the c...
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled with friends
3 Thank sunsetqueen99
Dear clients,

On a behalf of the staff and management here at IBEROSTAR Laguna Azul we would like to thank you for your nice review. It is our highest reward to hear that our guests enjoyed their vacation with us! Thank you for sharing your opinion with us. Should you choose our hotel, or some other IBEROSTAR Hotels, for your next vacation, please do not hesitate to contact us.

Kind Regards,
Reviewed 22 July 2014

My wife and I visited the Laguna Azul July12-19. This was our second time there, this time without our grown up children. We were in Block 16 on 5th floor facing the Kitchen area, we couldn't get an ocean view, but that was ok, we hardly spent any time in the room, there was too much to do. The room was clean and our maid Raimara made sure it stayed that way all week. There was an unusual overflow of guests because two nearby hotels were closed for renovations, so the beach and the restaurants were more busy than our previous trip 3 years ago. The food which everyone complains was explained to us that they have to satisfy many people, some cannot tolerate spices and other ingredients so the food tends to be a bit on the bland side. We didn't have any problem, there was plenty of fresh fish to eat, raw veggies, lots of olive oil, lime and spices to put on. Due to the number of guests, there was some competition for the beach chairs and umbrellas, so go early to reserve your spot (6-7am). The staff was mostly friendly, there was one or two that was not, but mostly attentive to your needs. The entertainment was better last time we found, but still very good. I wished they did a little variety rather than have music and dancing when we were there. We saw this week they were doing a magic show and a circus show. We did a day visit on an open air double decker bus to the local town on Tuesday and Thursday. Be careful of the horse drawn carriage taxis. You can negotiate a better price, it is their low season now and they all need your business. Our first trip on Tuesday the driver ripped us off for 20 cuc to go 2 km to a flea market. On Thursday some of those guys were charging on 5 cuc, so be careful and ask questions if the price is for one person or two. There is an ice cream booth near the beach beside the children's play area. On Thursday there was a clown doing a show for the kids and I was a volunteer in the show for his act which was fun. The outdoor patio is great to watch the sunset and have a drink before the night entertainment. There is always musicians there also which was nice. I suggest you take the later flight so you leave late also so you can enjoy at least half the day. One thing that bothered us was coming on the Air Canada plane they told us they have to spray inside as an insecticide otherwise the plane cannot land. They told us it was non-toxic. We have no choice. One woman sitting across for m me started choking. We noticed they were also spraying the trees on the road. Even still there were mosquitoes. Anyway, overall we had a great time again and would come back a third time in the future. Thanks to all the great people that work there.

Room Tip: choose a room on the upper floors, block 16 is good
3 Thank Jim B
Dear clients,

First of all we would like to thank you for choosing IBEROSTAR Laguna Azul for your vacation.
Thank you very much for your good comments and reviews about the hotel, staff and services, opinions like yours are very important to keep working every day to exceed the expectations of our customers and achieve ever greater improvement of our staff.
Hoping that you do decide to visit us in the future please accept our best regards.

Carefully,

Reviewed 22 July 2014 via mobile

Myself and my family (4 people) stayed July 11 to 18, 2014

Check-in/ Lobby: our flight was in the afternoon, so we arrived at the resort around 10:30/ 11:00 pm. There were a lot of people getting off at the resort if not all. For the amount of people that needed to check in there were only 2 persons checking everyone in. It was a bit of a slow process. I don’t think requests work at this resort because on booking i requested not to be on the first floor and that is exactly where I was. When I asked, the woman at the front desk said they were at capacity and could not do anything. Later that night we went back to speak with someone else at the front desk, explained the situation (situation being not 5 mins in the room and I killed 4 bugs). She explained that the resort is fully booked but we would be able to switch in a few days. Unless this resort installs a fan or ac in the lobby area and maybe make the non-smoking section somewhere else. I will not be returning to this resort

Rooms: on the bottom floor, unless you have a disability and a fondness for all sorts of bugs then the first floor is for you.

1st room on the first floor (building 10) – smelled of wet basement and had ants on the floor and ants on the toilet seat and on the bathroom counter. The sheets had blood stains on it and the room looked like it was barely swept over when the previous guests left. The balcony door did not close and had a chain lock that could be opened from the outside.

2nd room on the second floor (building 15) – the room was much better and if you leave the balcony door open the room doesn’t smell weird. Our maid kept our room spotless and left us fantastic towel art. The only thing that bothers me is the damp feeling on the sheets even with the ac on but that wasn’t a big deal in the end.

Food: the buffet was huge with a lot of variety but I don’t goto to Cuba for the food. I ate a lot of the foods that they made in front of you like pasta, pizza and omelettes. I did this because they needed to shut the doors that led out of the buffet area, there were flies on everything and birds occasionally flew in and wandered around. So it’s safe to say I had no fresh fruits or desserts. The a la cartes we tried were the romantico (average), Italian (good) and the Japanese (good), just don’t get the beef!. I did not goto the snack bar, so I cannot comment on the food – however my sister ate a burger from the snack bar which when she looked at it was not cooked all the way through.

Beach/ hotel grounds: SPECTACULAR, however I have a real problem with the people that get up at 6am and out towels on the chairs at the beach and pool and go back to sleep only to wonder back at noon. That makes me so annoyed and I have never seen it this bad at other resorts. There were too many people and not enough chairs on the beach. The hotel grounds are beautiful and well kept.

Entertainment: the entertainment in the evenings are just ok, nothing that I haven’t seen at other resorts before. The microphones were way too loud so everything sounded kind of distorted. The “party” pool as people would like to call it only had entertainment for about an hour each day but nothing that made me want to stick around.

Overall impression: my overall impression is that it’s an ok resort with a beautiful beach and grounds – I will give it a 4 ½ * just because it’s beautiful with the exception of the rooms which could use an overhaul. I probably would not stay here again just because I find it way too overcrowded and you tend to get ignored that way and I like to check out the different resorts in Varadero. Also if you have any requests for rooms, it will probably be ignored so be prepared to be disappointed.

Stayed July 2014
1 Thank Turning_Angel
Dear clients,

We would like to thank you for having chosen IBEROSTAR Laguna Azul for your holidays. We regret that your vacation experience was not enjoyable, as it is our goal to ensure that our guests have a wonderful stay with us. We appreciate your comments as they are a measuring tool to help us improve our services.
We look forward to welcoming you again to verify that we have improved.

Ajax, Canada
Reviewed 22 July 2014

As part of a package we did 3 days in Havana and 4 days in Varadero. We stayed in Iberostars in both locations and had a great stay at the Parque Central location in Havana, it was a great hotel all around. The situation in Varadero was a bit different. Going into this trip I have read numerous complaints (for years) about the quality of the food in Varadero in general. The food at ILA was not great as many had posted before but you will not go hungry. I would suggest taking your selections from the grilling stations (fish or red meat) or the turkey/chicken station when available and add a sauce of your liking, pizza was decent but expect a line or make a grilled cheese. The main restaurant is more like a large cafeteria vs. a traditional buffet restaurant so keep that in mind. We enjoyed eating in one of the two small outdoor areas as it was much less chaotic than the main seating area. In terms of some of the posts about birds eating from the outdoor buffet areas I did not witness that, although small sparrows would go after leftovers when people left, something I have seen at many different resorts. We only tried the “Tex-Mex” a-la-carte restaurant but did not find the food quality overly great, but again were not expecting anything better.

My main concern with the resort was with the rooms we had. When we arrived we were given a room with a broken toilet (10304). We called the operator and within an hour someone came out to fix it and it worked for the night. Next morning, same issue but by 5:00pm and repeated calls no one came to fix it. We went to the front desk and ask for another room and we were accommodated with one (14407). The plumbing worked fine (thankfully) but the AC did not work so well. Given our short time left at the resort we decided to just deal with as we could sleep at night – although the AC was loud and clanky. After overhearing some conversations it seems AC issues are not an uncommon problem.

On the positive side, the grounds are very nice and the ground crews do a great job making it look nice. Overall the staff there are very friendly and helpful, especially the front desk staff. The beach is amazing with white sand and crystal clear water and there is plenty of pool space, the entertainment staff do a good job as well as the bar staff. If you want a beach chair you need to be there by 8:00am (7:00am if you hope to get in the first two lows) to claim your chairs for the day and I would recommend bringing an insulated mug to keep your drinks cold. We enjoyed gabbing a café con leche from the bar by the quiet pool in the mornings. Staff are very appreciate of tips and I would encourage guest to be fair with providing them, they really do help the people serving you.

However, given the quality of the Iberostar in Havana it was sad to see the poorer quality in Varadero.

Room Tip: Rooms that face the quiet pools are quiet as advertised - quiet and have an ocean view. If you like...
4 Thank novak500

Newcastle upon Tyne, United Kingdom
Reviewed 22 July 2014

First of all when I have read some of the reviews I thought we had stayed in a different hotel cos some people complain about nothing. The journey from the airport was very comfortable. On arriving at the hotel we were checked in and in our room within half an hour. Now for the room:
This was great very big, always cleaned daily by some lovely maids, fridge refilled daily, large bathroom, great view of the main pool and the beach. We stayed in block 18. Overall excellent.
Now the food : always something to eat and many restaurants to choose from. We used the buffet mostly and can I just say the pizza chef was very friendly and made excellent pizzas of your choice. Lots to choose at breakfast and deserts are lovely. Ice cream parlour was a lovely touch to the hotel, as was walked from the beach we had a lovely ice cream daily. The mango and coconut ones are a must.
Now the beach : well what can I say only one word AMAZING we walked along the beach in both directions and this hotel definatly has the best stretch of the beach.
We are not pool people but on an afternoon we would go to the quiet pool and found it nice and quiet and very relaxing. We went every day which like I said is unusual for us but this has changed our view. The bartender her was very friendly and so was the cushion man. Cushions on the loungers round the pool was a great idea as the beach loungers do get a little uncomfortable after a while.
Entertainment : the staff do an amazing job and practice every day. Every night they put on a great show and get the audience involved. Even at the beach there was always something going on.
Staff are all very friendly and helpful.
We went into varadero on the open top bus a few times and there is lots of shops and small markets to visit. We also went to the dolphin show which was excellent. We had several photos taken with the dolphins which only cost £3 which is good if you don't want to swim with them.
We only did the day trip to Havana but was well worth it, you can't go to Cuba and not go to
Havana. The old cars are amazing.
Overall it was an amazing holiday, food,beach,pools,people and red hot weather. What more do people want.
Looking forward to seeing all the lovely people at this hotel next year
We have been to Dominican, Mexico and Jamaica which was lovely but this is the country we will return to.

Room Tip: We stayed in block 18 which had great views and no noise.
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Diane M
Dear clients,

Thank you for having chosen our resort for your vacation. On a behalf of the staff and management here at IBEROSTAR Laguna Azul we would like to thank you for your nice review. If you decide to visit us again, please do not hesitate to contact us. It would be our pleasure to welcome you again!

Kind Regards,
Reviewed 21 July 2014

So this was our first time to Cuba. After booking our trip, someone told me to read the reviews on tripadvisor, so I did. I was expecting to be very disappointed, and I was worried that I had made the wrong choice for our vacation.
Well let me tell you that I was pleasantly surprised. We just got back on Saturday, July 19th. The hotel was quite nice, the room was clean, the buffet had a lot to choose from and the exterior (including pools and beach area) were beautiful. The staff was extremely friendly and very attentive to our needs. We took the day trip to Havana (through HolaSun - Thank you to our Tour Director Abel). Evening entertainment excellent!
The only negative thing was that upon arrival our room was not ready. We were on the 6:30am flight out of Toronto, arrived in Varadero at 10am and at the hotel by noon. We did not get our room until 4:30pm. By then we were sooooo hot and exhausted that all we wanted to do was shower and take a nap (since we only slept for an hour the night before). When we got into our room, the Fan was not working, the telephone cord had been cut and the balcony door would not lock. We advised the maid and within 10 minutes the phone was fixed (so that we could contact our kids), and within 30-45 minutes the fan was fixed. The balcony door remained unlocked (as I heard from other guest this seems to be the norm), since we were on the 3rd floor, we were not too worried about that. Building 20 - very close to the beach and very quiet.
Here is my advice for people visiting this location: take salt and pepper (the salt there is not great due to the humidity), take a travel mug (this way your drink remains cooler and free of sand), take a later flight into Cuba - check in at the hotel is faster in the late afternoon, and most importantly understand that you are NOT in North America and therefore a 5 star is not the same in Cuba. And by the way, you can buy a card that gives you access to WiFi 5 CUC Pesos for 1 hour. I was able to message Canada with no problem. ENJOY your trip and don't stress.

Room Tip: upper floor (3rd) and Building 20 are quieter.
4 Thank Important_Live_Now
Director D, Gerente at IBEROSTAR Laguna Azul, responded to this review, 22 July 2014
Dear clients,

On a behalf of the staff and management here at IBEROSTAR Laguna Azul we would like to thank you for your review. Priority in our hotel is the improvement of all our services and continuous work to obtain our guest satisfaction. We have taken all your comments and suggestion into consideration and we will do the best we can to improve all the mentioned points. However, if you decide, to visit us again in the near future, please do note hesitate to contact us.

Wish you all the best