“Second Stay”

IBEROSTAR Laguna Azul
Ranked #28 of 64 Hotels in Varadero
Reviewed 19 August 2014

This is my 5th time to Cuba and second time at the Laguna Azul. First and foremost, if you've never been to Cuba, I definitely recommend it, as both the people and culture are absolutely beautiful. I was traveling with my girlfriend and we both plan to go back to this resort sometime soon, as we had such a fun stay.
The lobby is spacious and well maintained by the friendly staff, who walk around taking drink orders with a smile while patrons sit and listen to live Cuban bands play traditional folk music. The view from the lobby balcony that overlooks the middle of the resort is gorgeous during the day and cannot be captured adequately in photos.
The rooms were very clean and pleasant, and were cleaned daily by friendly maids (thank you Ana!)
The food is excellent, especially if you enjoy fresh seafood daily - the Cuban restaurant is definitely the best.
A special thank you to the Animation team, especially Juan and Johnnie Walker, who made our stay extra enjoyable by spending time with us dancing and playing soccer. Both are beautiful people.

If you have not gone to Cuba, I urge you to forget the negative comments that you hear and give the Laguna Azul a go, you will not regret it.

Room Tip: Choose a room on the second or third floor.
  • Stayed: August 2014, travelled as a couple
3  Thank HTraveler794
Director D, Gerente at IBEROSTAR Laguna Azul, responded to this reviewResponded 20 August 2014

Dear clients,

We appreciate your wonderful review about your recent stay with us. I shared your positive comments with our staff and they were so pleased to learn that we have exceeded your expectations. We hope to have the pleasure in hosting you on a future vacation to Varadero.

There are newer reviews for IBEROSTAR Laguna Azul

Reviewed 19 August 2014

Our week at the Iberostar Laguna Azul definitely met and often exceeded our expectations in terms of what to expect. The layout of the resort was really easy to navigate and the staff were all very friendly/helpful. Lots of smiles and it is clear the employees are all happy. No shuttles to take you around because you don't need them!

The food was really good...keeping in mind we are talking about Cuba. By that I mean you will see some items in the buffet that are not necessarily what you're used to, but there was always something that you could eat. The buffet was very well stocked with no shortage of options.

As for the a la carte options, they were quite good. The Japanese one is especially fantastic! It is hard to get a reservation here so be sure to get your reservations booked almost as soon as you check in. The Italian and Romantico were also quite good. The only not so great one was the Tex Mex...it really lacked in terms of what you would expect. It is not worth the effort.

The pools are extensive but we spent our time at the beach which was incredible. The ocean is crazy warm right now! It was well over 28C / 90 F ! Crystal clear and clean too! You do need to get your towels out early if you want to get one of the huts. By 7:15 am they are pretty much all gone!!

We stayed in building 18 which is a great location...very central to the main building and also the beach/pool. We requested an adjoining room with our two teens and that worked out perfectly. It was really great!

Tips are definitely appreciated by the employees and why wouldn't they be! We used the hotel exchange for our pesos and that was good.

WiFi --- you may be wondering what the deal is. I had heard there was no WiFi in Cuba, but that is not true. This hotel does offer WiFi in the lobby but it is not Free. You pay 5 pesos for one hour of WiFi. You do not have to use it all at once so that was nice. Our teens were VERY happy to be able to get on Instagram etc once a day. We agreed to half an hour a day. It was really nice that they couldn't be on WiFi all the time since we got to enjoy some actual conversations with them!!!

Room Tip: We had a ground level room in Building 18 with adjoining rooms. It was great - nice and central to e...
2  Thank Carolyn G

Dear clients,

Thank you for having chosen our resort for your vacation. On a behalf of the staff and management here at IBEROSTAR Laguna Azul we would like to thank you for your nice review. If you decide to visit us again, please do not hesitate to contact us. It would be our pleasure to welcome you again!

Reviewed 19 August 2014

This Iberostar was disappointing in terms of how run down the rooms and facilities are. But the staff is really good - in particular, the customer service staff, most especially Yailin Sanchez, made our stay comfortable and memorable. She is only staff person I know, in all my experience at these holiday resorts, who actually came down to the room at midnight to address our concerns! The food in the specialty restaurants was good, though the buffet could be improved - same desserts, same fare almost everyday. Still, one goes to Cuba for the beaches, and not the food necessarily. I would not recommend this hotel at the price we got which was for a five star. It is not a five star but rather a 3.5 star by Cuban standards. I do wish that tour operators like Sunwing and Transat would actually check on what they are promoting as five star hotels!

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled with family
1  Thank YasminMontreal

Dear clients,

We would like to thank you for having chosen IBEROSTAR Laguna Azul for your holidays. We regret that your vacation experience was not enjoyable, as it is our goal to ensure that our guests have a wonderful stay with us. We appreciate your comments as they are a measuring tool to help us improve our services.
We look forward to welcoming you again to verify that we have improved.

Kind regards,

Reviewed 18 August 2014

Where to start! Check-in took at least two hours. The first room we got was awful, the smell overwhelming and mold on the walls but had to sleep there for the first night. We spend the next day back and forth at reception. Nothing was being done until our WestJet rep took over. We visited a few rooms and finally found one that did not smell, had a toilet seat with working air conditioning. Took another 48 hours to have an extra beach towel.

The a la carte reservation system is a joke. Because we were three we could only eat a 9 p.m. at a table for 4, go figure! We went to the Italian and Gourmet. Don’t bother with the Italian, it was awful. First glance, the decor was nice but the benches have no more foam in them so you feel that you are sitting on the floor. They brought me a few cushions so that I could sit higher. I was really uncomfortable the whole time. They give you a menu but most of the items were not available and even though they have a dress code where men should wear long pants to all a la carte restaurants, it is not respected at all, come as you are!!

Our sheets were not changed during our stay.

The buffet was my least favorite place to go. We tried to eat outside most of the time as it was hot, loud and the first week-end we were there lots of Cuban were staying at the hotel, it felt like a zoo, people not waiting in line, I even saw a man take the whole container of ice cream with him. The lines were very long and by the time it was your turn, the plate was empty, if you were lucky to have one and the food is not good. We noticed that the food selection was not the same during those few days. The snack bar next to the beach is feeding guests along with the birds. Our first day we ate there but after seeing the birds eating the food, we did not go back.

The resort is not clean, the floors, hallways and other public places are dirty but the worst are the cushioned seats, sofas, they are disgustingly dirty. They should have designated smoking areas. We met a lot of people during our vacation and none were happy. My husband told me once we were back home that he did kill a few cockroaches in the room. You always have to tip to get service and even then it is not much better.

Worst scam, if you buy alcohol at the duty free in Varadero, they will charge you 1cuc for the bag but same is mandatory.

I have been to more than 30 all inclusive vacations and it was the first time I was happy to leave.
I was told that there was a recent change in management and I can assure you it is not for the best.

2  Thank Linda P
Director D, Gerente at IBEROSTAR Laguna Azul, responded to this reviewResponded 19 August 2014

Dear clients,
On behalf of IBEROSTAR Hotels & Resorts, I would like to thank you for choosing the IBEROSTAR Laguna Azul for your vacation. We sincerely regret that your vacation experience was not enjoyable, as it is our goal to ensure that our guests have a wonderful stay with us. We appreciate your review and your valuable feedback and haven taken all your comments into consideration. If you decide to give us another chance in the future, please do not hesitate to contact us. It will be our pleasure to welcome you again.

IBEROSTAR Laguna Azul

Reviewed 18 August 2014

First off I want to say to ignore all the negative comments because those people clearly expect too much out of life. We aren't at the Ritz.... so don't be expecting hot towels and butler service!

I just got back yesterday from my week long vacation at the Laguna Azul with my boyfriend (we're in our early 20s) . This was my first time to Cuba and I was a bit worried due to all the negative things people have to say about Cuba, but I am happy to say that those people are highly misinformed. We had the most amazing time! The grounds were absolutely gorgeous, exceeeding my expectations. The pictures of the resort do not do this place justice.. I can't even describe the feeling of walking out and seeing all the palm trees swaying. Very luscious and green everywhere. The food was wonderful if you aren't a picky person and if you love seafood like me you're in for a treat! Fresh mussels and shrimp everyday - I was in heaven. Even the pizza and burger bars were delicious! Always something to eat,you'll never starve! Rooms were very clean, our maid made sure of that (Muchos Gracias Ana!!!!). The pools were in mint condition and there's always people coming around asking to take your drink orders if you are too lazy to make your way to the swim up bar! If you are a beach person you will absolutely LOVE the beach here. Beautiful stretch of white sand and crystal blue waters. Also lots of shade under the umbrellas... as long as you wake up early enough to snag a seat! And what's a beach without the bar? Be sure to enjoy a rum and lemonade (Iimonata).

Best of all was the Animation Crew!!!! Shout out to my brother in Cuba Juan!!!! Friendliest and most genuine guy you will ever meet! His bright smile and warm personality made me feel so welcome. Also shout out to Johnnie Walker for the BEST water aerobics and to Jennifer Lopez and Janet Jackson for their excellent dancing lessons (Essa Mui caliente!) !! Annimacion Excellente Chicky Chicky Ohhhh yeaaaaaaaa!! If you aren't moving your hips by the end of the week I don't know whats wrong with you because in Cuba everyone loves to dance anytime, anywhere so get into the music!!

Also... one thing I'll most definitely miss is my daily cappucino!! So delicious to enjoy beside the live music at night in the lobby.

Overall I had the most amazing time at this resort.. I am already planning to go back! There's absolutely nothing bad I can say about my exerience.. the only bad part about my stay was coming across rude miserable travellers like the ones leaving negative comments here! Stay home if you don't know how to be nice because the Cubans are always pleasant and I had the trip of a lifetime! Hasta Pronto Cuba (until next time)!

Room Tip: Rooms facing the non-main pool are quieter. Stay on the third level.
  • Stayed: August 2014, travelled as a couple
5  Thank Adriana S

Dear clients,

On a behalf of the staff and management here at IBEROSTAR Laguna Azul we would like to thank you for your nice review. We all are hardworking people always seeking the best for all our clients and we are happy to hear that you especially enjoyed the program of our entertainment staff-we will surely let them know. Should you choose our hotel, or some other IBEROSTAR Hotels, for your next vacation, please do not hesitate to contact us.

Reviewed 17 August 2014

Before we booked any hotel, we were told by everyone to make sure book a 5 stars hotel, we did and when we stayed in this chosen 5 stars, we can concluded that this 5 stars is not a world wide 5 stars but just local Cuba 5 stars, reasons are : found stains on towels - like brown spots, mold spots (my daughter freaked out), bed size is not double and not queen, lucky that me and my husband are petite, cannot image how could a couple in western size can stay in one bed, they have an extra bed, but you will not like to try as very home made as still can see the wooden frame stick out from the bed frame, there is no tissue paper but only toilet paper, no clock, and the most disappointed but hilarious is the TV, after watching about 15 min., TV stop and has loud buzzing sound, you will need to bang hard on it or press the channel up and down to go back normal, at the end, we turn off and just have a quite time.

I have discussed with my husband and daughter, to be fair, it could be the fact that this hotel is already very decent and good as the country living condition is different, it could be an high end hotel already. Besides the room condition, the other resort condition are fine, the food (to our surprise) are fine, many sweet mango and papaya, swimming pool nice and beach is good.
We went for snorkeling in the hotel (pay extra $15 p/ppl), plenty fishes, very good experience.

Consider if will come back Cuba, may not, will chose Mexico instead.

Room Tip: Bring your own towel for shower.
3  Thank asaso1
Director D, Gerente at IBEROSTAR Laguna Azul, responded to this reviewResponded 18 August 2014

Dear clients,

Thank you for having chosen IBEROSTAR Laguna Azul for your vacation. It was our pleasure to host you as our guests. We appreciate your positive review and haven taken all your suggestions into consideration to make some improvements. Thank you for your feedback. If you decide to visit us again in Varadero, please do not hesitate to contact us.

Kind regards,

Reviewed 17 August 2014

We traveled as a group with 4 children and 5 adults the first week of August 2014. I was a little worried about the food and accommodations based on some of the reviews I have read before leaving. Please read below my groups and my thoughts of the hotel as a whole.

The first impression of the hotel was very beautiful and clean, we arrived mid afternoon yes in the heat and had to wait in the lobby for about an hour to check in as many people indicate on their reviews. We are on holiday in a beautiful tropical country and that is what we wanted sun and heat right!!! so why is everyone complaining about the wait in line, the front desk worked as quickly as they could and were very accommodating to us as we were very pleasant to them. They also served us drinks while waiting to make it more comfortable for everyone. The complaints you read on these reviews based on check in is so unfair to the front desk staff as they did their best to check everyone in quickly and efficiently. Yes it is hot but remember where you are. My special thanks to Mary.

Next, the rooms as some people indicate they were like a 2 star. I am not sure if we stayed at the same hotel but our rooms were more like a 5+ hotel, very clean and large, we had the family room which adjoined to our children``s room on the 3rd floor block 16 which I would recommend as you are close to the lobby and all amenities. The washrooms were large and yes the water pressure was not like in Toronto but you were able to take a comfortable shower and the toilet water pressure as well not the same as Toronto but did the job, so once again what is everyone complaining about the rooms were very comfortable and clean as the maids worked very hard to make them fresh and clean with beautiful towel art for our kids to enjoy.

Lets talk about the food, I am a picky eater when it comes to meat and trust me when I say the meat was good especially the chicken. Yes, not everyone may like paella or pork or the never heard of fish dish, but the regular buffet had everything for anyone because it was so large that I am sure you would find something to stick to for your holiday. I personally enjoyed the wood oven pizza that ariel made for us daily, we choose the topping and he even brought it to our table. Great tasting pizza!! Yes it it loud and hot but once again you are on vacation and everyone has to eat just like you and remember you are not in an air conditioned lunch room at your office building. All in all great buffet and the a la cart we enjoined most was the Japanese great show and meal.

The pools were kept very clean and we had a great time there with all the games provided by the animation team, 50 cents, Juan and lady gaga. The drinks were always served quickly and no you do not have to always tip as people say, it is entirely up to you what you would like to do and give and the staff is always pleasant regardless. Thank you Kensi!!

We spent most of the time at the pool but did go to the beach a couple of hours each day, it is truly beautiful!!

Once you have diner in the evening, you head off to the show with different themes every night, circus, magic show, latin night etc.. They also involve the audience to participate in contests, my husband won Mr. Lagun Azul for the week what a laugh that night!! After the show you may go to the lobby or outdoor lobby bar for a drink or coffee, it is very relaxing and the staff very quick to serve you.

All in all my family and friends had a fantastic time at the Lagun Azul, not one of us 9 got sick from the food or drinks. Please do not listen to what people write as we all have different expectations, but do remember you are on holidays for the weather and relaxing time you can expect to get in Cuba and Lagun Azul.

Me and my family would like to thank all that staff that helped us make our vacation very memorable and hopefully one day we may return!!

2  Thank victoria c
Director D, Gerente at IBEROSTAR Laguna Azul, responded to this reviewResponded 22 August 2014

Dear clients,

We appreciate your wonderful review about your recent stay with us. I shared your positive comments with our staff and they were so pleased to learn that we have exceeded your expectations. Also have we taken all your suggestions into consideration.
We hope to have the pleasure in hosting you on a future vacation to Varadero. if you decide to visit us again, please do not hesitate to contact us.