“Amazing Chinese Food in Varadero, Cuba”
Review of lai lai

lai lai
Ranked #28 of 117 Restaurants in Varadero
Cuisines: Chinese
Good for: Romantic, Groups, Special Occasion Dining, Child-friendly, Business meetings
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, After-hours, Reservations
Reviewed 4 March 2014

After being to Varadero 40 times we decided to try the Lai Lai Restaurant. To our surprise the food was amazing. When we went without reservations around 6:30 pm, the restaurant had one table left.

The decor is nice and there is a good ambiance. Very nice quiet music playing in the background. We were 3 people so we decided to have Spring Rolls to start and we then ordered each one a dish which consisted of Chicken Chow Mein, Cantonese Fried Rice and shrimps served on a griddle inside a wooden boat. Very well presented and sizzling. We had 1 beer each and with the tip it only cost us 8 pesos each. Not expensive at all. The food was was full of flavor, the servings plentiful, the veggies fresh and very warm. The staff was friendly, courteous and very helpful when we were asking questions about the menu.

There are also large round tables with a turntable in the middle for large groups which makes sharing platters easy. When we left, there were at least 8 people in the lobby waiting to get in. There was one review on Trip Advisor that said “recycle food” because the waitress gently slid all the meat from the dishes to the side of the plate. We also noticed that, so we asked the waitress if they threw out the leftovers, very silently she said “no” the staff can eat the leftovers or bring it home. She looked very sincere. I am very picky when it comes to Chinese food. In Canada I only eat Szechuan Chinese Food but I was really impressed with the food at Lai Lai. I will certainly return on my next visit.

I would recommend this restaurant and hope that my review was helpful.

Address: Primera Avenue at Calle 18

3  Thank MitsyBlue

Reviewed 2 March 2014

We were a party of 6, ordered 7 dishes, won ton soup ( got a big bowl of soup so every one got seconds, and it was yummy), 8 beer, a bottle of wine and it was only 101cuc...less than $20 per person....staff was friendly and found us a table even though we did not have a reservation...it seems to be a busy spot with a small kitchen, so everything seemed to be cooked as you ordered it so it didn't feel rushed...got to spend time with new friends

Reviewed 27 February 2014

This food has nothing to do with Chinese food, even at its best. Rice is not steamed and cannot be eaten with sticks. Chili chicken was actually black pepper chicken with vinegar. Purely disgusting. Expensive and slow service. Don't go to this restaurant.

Reviewed 20 February 2014

My Wife and I went here to try something different, that is was.
We were crunching what looked liike Salt chunks/slivers... it could have been MSG no idea but there was not much for vegetables and for a chino rest anywhere it was very disapointing.
If you go here for food please ask for no salt !

Reviewed 20 February 2014

My boyfriend took me to this restaurant for Valentine's day. What a mistake...

We were travelling around Cuba for three weeks and I must say this was the worst food we came across with. Actually, I think I've never eaten anything like that in my whole life. We ordered chow mein noodles and chicken chop suey with rice. As there was our 1,5 year old daughter with us, we thought that the service will be a bit faster so she can go to sleep soon. On the contrary - two tables that came a long while after us were served first and our food arrived only when I started to walk around the restaurant with the baby in my arms and angry expression.

Both dishes looked alike. Instead of chinese noodles we were served overcooked spaghetti that were swimming in a soy sauce and burned vegetables. It was'nt edible at all so we put it aside. The chop suey was basicly the same burned vegetables with funny tasting meat. The rice was dry and undercooked.

When we complained about the food we were told that everyone is eating so it must be good. Well, no comment on that... Please stay away from this place.