LABRANDA Varadero Resort
HotelsClick
US$442
HotelsClick
2,363 results
All reviewscohiba barocean viewporkprivate beachbeach baran open mindoceanview roomfood was finekeep in mindrecommend this resortlobstercuban foodbeautiful resorta great vacationnightly entertainmentsalad bardowntown varadero
Reviewed 26 January 2014

Hotel Allegro, Varadero should only be rated a half star! However, if you do choose to stay here, bring your own bed; bedding; towels; shower/tub; food; hot water tank and cleaning supplies.
Also, don't leave the resort without toilet paper, it will cost you!

Corey Donick

Room Tip: Stay at an eight star hotel if they have one.
  • Stayed: February 2013, travelled with family
3  Thank Corey D
Reviewed 26 January 2014

I will never stay at the Occidental again. The room was dirty, smelly, full of bugs and ants, no towels, no toilet paper. We asked for an upgrade but it was worse than the first. There was three of us in the room and the cot they gave us was like a wooden plank. The food was awful I ate rice and beans so I didnt starve. I got a massage and my back was so bruised the next day that I looked like I had been beaten. The only saving grace was the beach was beautiful and well kept and the staff were amazing and friendly. I have never travelled before but I know I will NEVER go there again!!

• Stayed: January 2014, travelled with friends
Reviewed 25 January 2014

We stayed at the Breezes Bella Costa in December (see my review) and Allegro Varadero in January so I'm going to compare the two hotels. Each hotel has positive and negative features. Of the two hotels I enjoyed the Allegro more but my partner enjoyed Bella Costa more. He liked the beach games and bingo at Bella Costa because he won 2 bottles of rum.

There was a little more smoking at the Allegro because more of the guests smoked but it was not as bad as when we went to Punta Cana (that was really bad!).

The hotel is very open and bright. It is like being outdoors but you are still in the hotel. It is wonderful. (see pictures - trees growing in hotel)

Bathroom -
The bathroom in our room was definitely better than at Bella Costa. The shower head and curtain rod were actually attached to the wall and there was a grab bar for older visitors. There were also those non-slip patches on the tub floor.
The hot water must be put on maximum setting and it takes a long time to warm up but we had warm showers throughout the week. Do not expect a hot shower. The toilet was in a separate room off the shower area.

Food -
There was less variety of foods and fruit but most of the food tasted better. It was NOT salty like at Bella Costa.
There was a better variety of desserts e.g. caramel, macaroons, rice pudding etc. At Bella Costa it was basically sponge cake with different toppings but they did have coconut ice cream which was not available at Allegro.
On the 17th, I think there was a different cook because we finally saw mushrooms but the food was terrible. I was glad that we were leaving the next morning. It was the first time I had seen apples.

At night you could get burgers and fries or ham and cheese sandwiches. We were happy that it was not tomato and lettuce or dill pickle and lettuce sandwiches like at Bella Costa (those were gross..yuck!).

A la Carte -
The 3 a la carte meals were disappointing. Small quantity of food so we went to the buffet afterwards. My selections were ok but my partner did not enjoy his at all. You are not missing anything by skipping the a la carte.

Disco -
The music was great but depending on which DJ you get, you may need ear plugs...LOUD! We went to the Disco about 3 times and had a wonderful time.

Shows -
We went to the Michael Jackson, Ballet and Latin shows. They were excellent!

Beach Towels -
You have to put a deposit of 15 cuc for the beach towels -paid at reception desk - you get a ticket then you get the towel at the towel room. At the end of your stay, you return the towel to the towel room & get ticket then return ticket to reception to get a refund. No beach towel deposit is required at Bella Costa. You might want to walk with a beach towel.

Beach -
The beach is larger than at Bella Costa and there are no rock problems as at Bella Costa. You could go for a long walk past the hotel. The water is clear and beautiful. There are two bars by the beach and a great area for lunch with BBQ food , salads, burgers, hot dogs etc. We spent a lot of happy time by the beach. We did not use the pool.

Downtown Varadero -
We took a taxi to town (10 cuc) and walked. Downtown Varadero is about 3 km. You could also take the bus for 2 cuc

Note: the cost of bottles of liqour is the same downtown as it is at the hotel so don't bother to buy it downtown.

Remember to walk with some toilet paper when you leave the hotel. You have to pay 1 cuc to use a public washroom.

We had lunch at "El Bodegon Del Gordo" on 49 St #106. The food and the cream caramel are excellent. A friend had the pina colada and said it was excellent too.

Watersports/Games -
We used the paddle boat, played pool and ping pong but we did not do any classes or games with the entertainment crew. We did go out on the Hobie Cat. It was fun.

We met some wonderful people. It was a most enjoyable week.

• Stayed: January 2014, travelled as a couple
10  Thank tweet2011
Reviewed 24 January 2014

Arriving 4:00 a.m. we had to use my cell phone light so we could see where we were walking as none of the lights appeard to be working.1st room -smelled musty and wet. Looked up to the air conditioner it was dripping like a rain shower. Went to get towels to mop up water - NO towels! Turn on the light beside the bed and it blew up! Balcony door would not close. 2nd room was worse than the first. Bed smelled of urine so bad I almost threw-up! New resort going up next door so construction jack hammering, dust, etc. 3:00 p.m. finally got a 3rd room 5th floor NO HOT WATER, not even luke warm ALL WEEK long NO SHOWER it was broken, food was even worse. 1 pool that we could use, the other was for the Beach Club vacationers,swim up bar was closed. No wi-fi as stated. 4 Star, I would maybe give it a 1 Star. STAY AWAY!!!!

• Stayed: January 2014, travelled with friends
5  Thank Rhonda D
Reviewed 22 January 2014

We thoroughly enjoyed Varadero - great people and beautiful, but the Allegro was horrific. The food consists of a lot of cabbage, rice that made our tongues numb, and the same 3 fruits the whole time we were there. Very little food choice, so the line-ups were terrible. Such little variety that near the end of our stay we were delighted to eat cucumber. The hamburger patties are hot dogs in the shape of patties. The buffet has a sewage-like smell. My daughter said the pancakes described the pancakes as tasting like wine - they were very yeasty.
Many lights were out, in fact there was a short power outage while we were there. We should have had a flashlight to naivigate the corridor to our room. No hot water till the final day of our trip.
Do not go here if you are a non-smoker - smokers are everywhere.
The place appears to be falling apart, no repairs are being done. The steps and railings were loose. I warned my daughter not to learn over any balcony.
The pool that was advertised no longer exists. We were told it had been sold off. We theorize that maybe the place is about to be sold off for demolition.
Staff were great, but this place is a sinking ship.

Room Tip: Stay at Blau, Iberostar, anywhere but here
  • Stayed: January 2014, travelled with family