“good holiday but some things need to improve” 4 of 5 bubbles
Review of Ocean Varadero El Patriarca

Ocean Varadero El Patriarca
Ranked #13 of 63 Hotels in Varadero
northumberland
“good holiday but some things need to improve”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 June 2014

Had nice time staff all freindly they are a credit to the hotel .The sun beds on the beach need to improve for a 5 star hotel dont expext to see hard plastic beds, only small amount of soft beds and if you are not on the beach early you wont get one we were there by 8.30 and didnt get one in the 14 days we were there. we are all paying guest so should all get the same.also a lot of the beds were broken why do they not mend them or take them away.The food in the buffet was on the cold side ,went to all four alacarte and found them much better ,we didnt have to wait long if you go later .the buffet at the beach was ok but all food should be covered as birds would be eating the food with us .Thomas cook are selling this hotel in there style range.dont think it had a touch of class but not a bad hotel just needs to improve somethings.Just outside the hotel there a open top bus to take you in to town only five paeso return ,also went in old style taxi for 20 one way driver waited and brought us back .went with thomas cook for night out to see cuban band paid the extra to go in old cars it was the highlight of the night great fun.back to the hotel we were in block 11 was quiet had our own private garden was short walk to mikes coffee shop went every morning staff great.the lobby bar was good with singers going round the tables and sing to you for a tip .also band in piano bar but finished by 11.30.you wont have a bad holiday at this hotel if you can get passed the little faults.

Room Tip: block 11 on the quieter side but close to bars
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled with friends
4 Thank williams67

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (829)
  • Czech first
  • Hungarian first
  • Polish first
  • Slovak first
Sydney, Canada
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 June 2014

This resort far exceeded our expectations. This was our first trip to Cuba but not the south, so we have some previous experience for comparison. Keep in mind, we chose to go at the start of the low season, so some of the issues experienced during high season were non-existent in the off-season. This resort offers regular packages and privilege packages. If you can at all, do the privilege package - well worth the extra. The privilege package offers: separate lodging area away from the main activities, own pool and pool bar, own section of the beach, separate breakfast dining lounge, bathrobes, room service daily, limited internet daily, late checkout included, butler service and etc. The entertainment was outstanding. The rooms were immaculate and very large. Everything is modern and new looking. We only had ants at our doorway and when called, they arrived in 5 minutes to spray - gone. We blew the breaker for our lights and when called, they arrived in 10 minutes to reset - back on! Get to know your butler - ours, Romilio, was a local historian buff -- 1 and a half hours later - we knew everything we ever wanted to about Cuban history. The food was great. The buffet for general dining has a huge variety to appeal to anyone - fruit was fresh cut and most anything could be cooked in front of you at one of 4 stations. Variety of veggie items as well. Food could be found around the resort at just about any time. You can exchange money at the desk for a pretty good rate for the convenience. People....well...what can I say...couldn't do enough to please us. They have three a-la-carte restaurants - they are small and have limited menus, but we only ate there twice and enjoyed the experience. The buffet was the easiest as there was a longer time period for eating there, and we liked the flexibility...and you could wear your bathing suit if you like. Guests with a privilege package were able to make a reservation at the a-la-carte, whereas regular guests had to wait in line. I expect this is quite lengthy during high season...not so bad in low season. Used Air Canada Vacations...all good things. Travel and representatives were awesome and helpful. Our tours were well planned and informative. Tour guides were funny and charming, and truly wanted you to enjoy your experience. Package price in the off season was wicked. Tipping is customary, and we did this quite often, but it did not affect the quality of service when we forgot to take some with us. Would highly recommend this resort to anyone. Enjoy your trip to CUBA!!!

PS: If buying anything at the duty free shop, make sure they put the receipt inside the sealed bag...it could cause issues without it at Canadian customs if you go outside of security and need to come back in later for another flight (might not happen if you can stay inside security for your connection) - luckily we had larger carry-on bags and were able to put it in there and go check the bag.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
5 Thank AMMorr1son
Glasgow, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 June 2014

This was our first all inclusive holiday and we loved every minute. Hotel was great, had many facilities and activities for families, couples, kids, rooms were nice and tidy. Great entertainment, good food ( caribean food and sea food highly recommended) and drinks. Perfect place not only for beach holiday but also as base to travel around west and central Cuba.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
4 Thank MAK2511
northern ireland
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 June 2014

ok where to start...
the food is terrible, it is advertised as having three restaurants but to save on staffing costs they only open two (sometimes one) a night. even at that they are under staffed and slow to clear tables and serve you (one night we waited one hour to get our main course after we where seated) they also tell you that you do not need a reservation at the restaurants but you need to stand outside at 6.30 (sometimes for half a hour) to get a table for 8. there is so little choice for dinner, five to be exact one of which is a vegetarian choice, and I wouldn't even start about the buffet.
the pool side is shocking for a "five star hotel" the sunbeds are not tidied up a the end of the night so they can clean up the rubbish and cigarette buts, they don't even lift the cups that are left around or the plates. a large number of the sun beds are broke. the beach is a similar story although they tidy away the sun beds, again they do not clean up all the cups, and I only seen the beach raked once in the 11 nights we where there so there was a lot of sea weed and cigarette buts which is horrible.
loads more of small things that could be easily fixed.
I noticed that someone else mentioned the music by the pool, this was indeed very load and annoying when you are trying to relax.
our room was ok for noise at night as we where far enough away from the disco, but people run about shouting at 2am everywhere in the resort, I enjoy a bit of fun myself but in any other hotel iv been in they have guards that ensure you are acting respectfully to other guests when you come in at night, no the case at any time of day here.
the best thing about all of this is we made a complaint and all the wanted to do was give us a "special meal" which by the way is the meal choice they have for couples on their honeymoon WHICH HAS THREE CHOICES yes you read correct THREE.
they where not at all concerned about listening to our views, which clearly im not the only person with these view.

I really could go on and on,

in short

DO NOT GO HERE.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
9 Thank caroline1992
Calgary, Canada
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 June 2014

We love Cuba and visit as often as possible so decided that this time to treat ourselves to a five star hotel. I have no complaints about the hotel itself, it is beautiful, but starting to run down a little. But our visit did not start out well and went quickly downhill. Over an hour to check in 6 couples? There were three people working at the desk. And from what I've read the hotel offers drinks to those waiting....but not us. A bellboy did take us to our room on a little cart and told us where things were. Room was disappointingly small and cramped, but nice for all that. Our first drink at the lobby bar did not go well; how can a Cuban bartender screw up a Mojito? The tequila sunrises were wonderful.
Our next nasty surprise came that night. I got up to go to the bathroom and slipped on a pool of water that had leaked from the air conditioner and broke my wrist. In the morning I went to the front desk to find out what to do, because at this time it just really, really hurt and none of them could have cared less. I was told that the doctor would be in in two days. So we went to the Air Canada rep, Lazaro who told us to go to the International Clinic in Varadero. I can't say enough good things about the clinic. I was in and out in less than three hours; examined, X-rayed, medicated and casted. Certainly can't be done in Calgary! Even spent time the the X-ray technician waiting for the X-rays to dry, watching a documentary on animals of the Andes and as I had lived in Bolivia for five years I found it most interesting. While we're still on the subject of the broken wrist, a few days later the swelling and discoloring in my hand disturbed me so I went to the resort doctor, who refused to even look at it, telling me to go back to the International clinic. The swelling went down later in the day all on it's own.
Now the guts of the matter. The staff was horrible, for the most part indifferent at best. Something needs a big change, both staff and management. We always bring things to give to those who have provided good service.....we brought them all back home with us. We notice mostly in the buffet (more about THAT later) that the staff spent more time socializing with one another than actually doing their jobs, to the point where they would stop what they were doing to talk and laugh. And of course there was the time when after searching for a table that had been set, we saw a staff member take the setting off one table for the table they staff was using. Or the broken glass that was simply kicked under the buffet table. We were always having to move around little groups of chatting staff, because THEY certainly weren't going to move an interrupt their discussion!
The food. Ugg! Ugg! Ugg! Must have got a good deal on pumpkin for there were at least two different pumpkin dishes every night. Not a pumpkin fan, nor a fan either of the black bean dishes either and my said they were very watery. Almost everything was stewed and/or swimming in grease, the fruit was on the borderline of being rotten, especially my favorite guava. Breads were tasty, according to my husband. Now, the omelette lady; if she worked for me she'd be out on her backside so quickly she wouldn't know what hit her! She acted as if we were a major annoyance in her life; throwing vegetables into the egg so carelessly she spewed vegetables all over the counter and into the other pans of ingredients. Do not bring her a plate with anything on it, for inevitably she will toss (and that's the right word) the omelette on top of it, whether you want it there or not. Never cracks a smile or says a word, often forgetting to put spice in the eggs, which made them rather bland.
Now the a-la-carte restaurants. There are three of them, but only two open on any given night. And yes, the no reservations means you have to line up and first come (sometimes) first served to make reservations. But don't bother with the Oriental. Calling it horrible is kind. We were there for two hours, for appetizers that were greasy and cold and the main dish that came an hour later which consisted of a cup an a half of yellow rice that was way too dry and an overcooked and cold mishmash of something with chicken and other stuff in soy sauce. Went to the buffet to get food, didn't leave a tip for the sullen and lazy waiter. Didn't much like the beach buffet, although the staff there was more friendly. The food was always the same and the worst part for me were the birds that flew around freely and just as freely nibbling on the uncovered food; they particularly liked the dessert table. The snack bar at the pool has a very limited menu and the staff there less sullen than some, but they are totally disorganized.
I try not to be be totally negative and we were able to find something nice about the resort. Mike's Coffee House. They provide several types of tea, coffee and smoothies, with or without alcohol, but that's not what makes the place. It's the four girls who work in there. They greet you when you come in, often remembering what you had been drinking. They were friendly, efficient and sociable. On our last day one of them made me a lovely paper rose.
By the third day there I was already swearing to never come back, and each day just made me more firm in that decision. I will return only when hell freezes over or they get a complete new staff who have good training and responsible management.

Room Tip: Try to get rooms away from the places where people congregate, ie the pool area, the piano bar, the...
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
12 Thank menhe
OCT-CustomerService, Director de Relaciones Públicas at Ocean Varadero El Patriarca, responded to this review, 30 June 2014
Dear Guest, we are very sorry about this incident. As you would remember, when we found out about it we sent our maintenance staff to your room and not trace of any leak was found. This room has continuously being used and we have never had a situation as this being reported. In any case we are sorry of this occurrence. We are most sorry if you felt that our staff did not cater for you properly. As you may remember, on a daily basis our Guest Services staff got in touch with you or your husband for follow up on your case and none of these other comments came up. We would have welcomed being informed on how you felt back then which could have allowed us to clear any doubts and/or take the necessary steps to make your stay more enjoyable. We are sorry we were not allowed that chance. Your comments in this review have been discussed with all departments heads involved in order to analyze the reported deficiencies and what could have happen during those days and correct any service deficiencies we may have. We really apologize for any deficiencies you may have perceived and for your vacations not been as expected this time around. We remain committed in improving our services to our clients and hope that we may be able in the future to regain your trust and have the chance to host you again as part of our very valuable repeat customers.
Bratislava, Slovakia
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 June 2014

We was there in July 2013 with. I was waiting nearly 1 year to write the first bad review, I prefer to be nice, but...

To be as short as possible - YES, all bad reviews here are really true.

Only 2 pluses - nice Cuba & beaches AND new building. All the rest is better to forget:
- smell in the room, bath room
- bugs / ants in the room
- strange staff, more rude than helpfull
- weak animators
- broken pool floor
- boring food, the same all the time, no taste (often I had no idea what I am eating)
- ant nest in the coffee machine (I took my coffeemachine full of ants to reception as a gift)
- serious stomach problems of 2 of us after dinner in "luxury" italian restaurant costs us 140USD in local ambluance (hotel restaurant poisons you and hotel ambulance robs your money)
- absolutelly mess with beach chairs, hardly enough chairs for 60% of guest, broken, dirty
- you have to get up at 6:00 and go on the bach to fight for chairs with others guests... this situation caused really stupid behaviour of some of the guests

Everybody, who manages of own company must see that this hotel needs management, real management of operations and guest care on daily level.

Only a few bartenders in the lobby and maintenance men making beautiful bananas sunhats improve quality of this hotel, thank you guys for a few nice moments in this hotel. Year before we stayed in "just 4 stars" Iberostar Tainos, what´s the difference.

I tell you secret, after a few days we simply walk or took taxi and spend a part of the day in Iberostar hotels with nice people, much better entertainment and pleasant environment. So, please transfer 50% of my payment to Iberostar :-)

Cuba is beautiful, do not make mistake with this hotel.

Room Tip: For any room, take insecticide and some coarse words or other hotel.
  • Stayed July 2013, travelled with family
4 Thank stvrtnastyri
Dear guest, we are very sorry for falling short on your expectations during your visit to our hotel last year. We work constantly to be better and we appreciate every comment that gives us a new opportunity of improvement. We have always maintained an excellent bill of health in regards to our F&B operation but we are sorry if you had any stomach problems while vacationing in Cuba. You would be glad to know we performed a complete renovation in the pool floor during the last months of 2013. We have also added more sun lounges at the hotel beach and have done changes in our restaurant´s menus and F&B offer. We really hope you allow us another opportunity in the future to regain your trust and offer you a great vacation experience in Cuba.
Fredericton, Canada
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 June 2014

This was my first trip to an AI in Cuba, having previous AI experience in Mexico, and I was really hopeful about this resort based on the reviews on TripAdvisor. But, unfortunately, I wasn’t impressed. I’ve actually been wondering ‘if this is ranked 7th of 58 hotels in Varadero, how bad must the other 51 be??’

We were there towards the very end of the high season, and the resort was not full to capacity. Check in was a bit slow, but we were provided with a welcome drink and it wasn’t too bad. No problem exchanging money at the front desk at any time. I had emailed the resort and asked for a room in a quieter area, and we were placed in building 36 on the second floor. It was fairly central, close to the pool and restaurant area and just a small walk to the beach. The rooms are a bit ratty considering this resort just opened in 2012…. The wicker furniture was beat-up, the credenza had paint chips and dings & generally seemed to be of cheap quality. The bathroom was nice, my husband loved the rainhead shower; however, on 3 or 4 days we had little or no hot water. There is also some sort of odd plastic sheet or covering on the bed. When I took the spare blanket off the shelf in the closet it was FILTHY (I’d post a picture but I’m pretty sure people don’t want to see what kind of nasty "it appears" was left on this blanket…., who knows what it was for sure). I threw it on the floor over by the door 3 days in a row hoping for a new one, but the room attendant just kept folding the same dirty blanket and putting it back or arranging it in an animal shape on the bed (how could she NOT see it???). I finally arranged it in a pile with the nasty business clearly visible, and got a clean blanket. We had no problem with bugs/ants as some other reviews mention. There was very little selection in the mini-fridge…. One water, one beer, two pop. Don’t bother asking for anything extra. My husband preferred the beer in a can, and left a nice tip & note in the fridge. He got one extra beer. Some days we didn’t even get the soda.

The absolute worst issue (and the dealbreaker) for us was the occasional overpowering sewer stench. One day we returned to the room, opened the door and were nearly knocked over by the smell. There happened to be an employee downstairs at the time, so he came up to our room…. He looked around a bit, gestured towards the air-conditioning vent, and asked to use our room phone. He had a conversation with someone, sounded quite forceful & serious, and then told us someone would be right down to follow up. No one ever arrived. We shut off the A/C and opened both doors to create a cross-breeze, and it aired out while we sat on the balcony. It was fine after that, maybe a little whiff every now and again, but we figured it was a fluke and basically forgot about it. Until the day & a 1/2 or so before we left. I assume the smell was being picked up somehow in the air conditioning system depending on the direction the wind was blowing. We spent a miserable Friday afternoon packing, and an absolutely wretched, disgusting Friday night in our room. It was very hot, no breeze coming in the patio door (couldn’t leave the other door open while trying to sleep), and if we turned on the AC the smell quickly became so strong it was physically nauseating. If we had experienced this earlier in the week, for this length of time, we would absolutely have talked to the Air Canada rep and asked to move resorts. In hindsight, we probably should have done that (at least requested a different room) the first afternoon it happened. As it was, we ended up with little sleep the night before traveling home. I know others around us experienced the sewer smell also, because we heard them discussing it in the corridor.

Other random comments:

There are various mismatched lounge chairs at the beach. Some are uncomfortable hard plastic. Many of the other more comfortable fabric chairs are broken. They can be used, but the back height is not adjustable.

When we checked out, we contacted the front desk twice to ask for a porter/cart to help with luggage. No one ever showed up.

Occasionally there were no towels available at the towel exchange. You have to time it just right to get fresh towels.

The lobby bar had a very good selection of drinks and the bartenders were willing to adjust to your taste. We had no problem with service while hanging out in the lobby area, at any time of the day or night. Drinks in the lobby bar were mostly freshly made and very good. Drinks at the pool bar and the beach bar were not (mostly some sort of syrupy mess out of a slushie-type machine).

The lobby was a nice area to hang out in the evening, have some drinks and people watch. Wifi is also available in this area ($4.50 per hour) and we had no problem with the connection or speed.

Mike’s Coffee Shop was awesome. We loved it and started every day there. I managed to work my way through most of the hot and cold menu. It’s a lovely little air conditioned haven.

Generally, the grounds were very neat and tidy and well maintained. The public areas, including bathrooms, were always clean. The resort is smaller and had a more intimate, relaxing atmosphere.

For the most part, the staff was wonderful and friendly. The ladies at the coffee shop were sweethearts, our ‘normal’ waitress at breakfast in the buffet brought us mimosas and fresh flowers, the evening bar staff in the lobby – all wonderful, friendly, fun, helpful, smiling people. In my opinion, their staff is the best thing this resort has going for it. The beach bar was the exception. These guys seemed miserable and some days would barely grunt.

We didn’t spend a lot of time at the pool. The beach was very pretty with lots of shade. We never had any problem finding a palapa and lounge chairs. The beach has eroded a lot towards the upper side (near the privilege section), and has quite a drop. This gradually decreases and towards the lower end is hardly noticeable.

The à la carte restaurant system is ridiculous. They say “no reservations” but if you don’t show up when they open at 6:30 pm to “put your name on a list” you’re probably not going to get in. That sounds an awful lot like a reservation to me – just a more confusing version. If you don’t want to eat at the first sitting at 6:30 (which you may or may not get in to) it requires two trips to the restaurant in the evening, instead of just being able to ‘put your name on the list’ earlier in the day when you’re in the area anyway (breakfast time or whatever). The supposed dress code at the à la carte restaurants was blatantly ignored. One guy at the Italian restaurant wore his swim trunks. Now he did make the effort to wear closed toe dress shoes with his swim trunks… I guess that was good enough.

Food was disappointing and repetitive. And I went with limited expectations, based on what I was told in advance about resort food in Cuba. This resort lived up (down?) to that reputation. We ‘never went hungry’ but that’s hardly a good place to set the bar. Breakfast was fine with eggs, toast, etc. Lunch at the restaurant by the beach was probably the worst in my opinion, along with the one night we had dinner at the buffet. The buffet food was rarely hot. We did enjoy the Italian restaurant and went twice. The Oriental was horrible. We also went to the Gourmet twice… once was very good (chicken) and the second time not so much (steak).

What I saw of Cuba itself was beautiful. I love trying new places and was happy to finally vacation there. So at the end of the day, we did have a wonderful vacation in spite of the resort – I enjoyed the company of the people I was traveling with, we spent our days on the beach soaking up the heat and swimming in the ocean (how bad can it be, right...), and our evenings having drinks, listening to some music and spending quality time together. The resort itself had some hits and some definite misses. I am absolutely interested in returning to Cuba, but will not return to this resort nor would I recommend it to my friends. It being marketed as a 4.5 or 5 star is ridiculous in my opinion.

Room Tip: Avoid building 36 & that area.
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled with friends