“Amazing place...!!!! Coming back for sure!!!”

Ocean Varadero El Patriarca
Ranked #13 of 64 Hotels in Varadero
“Amazing place...!!!! Coming back for sure!!!”
Reviewed 21 June 2014 via mobile

I can't thank you guys enough for the service and week my boyfriend and I spent at this hotel....to us it is more than five stars....
We were there from June 12 to 19 and all I can say is Thank you all for a memorable and amazing time...
We were in the most amazing room..1424... Second floor and right in front of the main pool and close to all the fun and beach...
Restaurants were awesome... Buffet was good, oriental and gourmet were amazing!!
We were celebrating our five years and my birthday and hotel provided us with a romantic lobster and steak dinner...
Also room service breakfast and bottle wine to our room....priceless!!!! We definitely did not want to come back to Canada!!!
The entertainment crew is awesome!! Main lobby crew is amazing...thank you Just for some serious delicious drinks!!!
We did the tour to Havana.."Havana special" ...it was worth every cent... The tour guy, Jorge was awesome!! And of course Mr Jintxs!!! The driver....
We are definitely coming back to wonderful Cuba and most definitely to El patriarca!!!!! Love you guys.....

Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
5 Thank wendy p
OCT-CustomerService, Director de Relaciones Públicas at Ocean Varadero El Patriarca, responded to this review, 22 June 2014
Dear Wendy, we are so happy to hear you and your boyfriend had a memorable and amazing vacation in Ocean Varadero El Patriarca. We thank you for taking the time to let us know you enjoyed your anniversary with us. Our doors are always open to receive you in the future as part of our very valuable returning guests.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (854)
  • Czech first
  • Finnish first
  • Hungarian first
  • Polish first
  • Slovak first
Toronto, Canada
Reviewed 21 June 2014

During our stay at the hotel we regularly visited Mike's Coffee. It was one of the best parts of the entire trip. The coffee was amazing and the staff were all friendly and helpful. We want to thank Anisleidy, Yamilka, Anaisa, Rosana and Karima for helping to make our trip great.

Until next time,

Hilel Gerb and Family.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled with family
Dear Hilel Gerb and Family, we thank you for your positive comments. Be sure we will pass your regards to Anisleidys, Yamilka, Anaisa, Rosana y Karina at the Mike´s Coffe, together with our congratulations on having created a positive experience in your stay.
Toronto, Canada
Reviewed 20 June 2014

A big thank you to everyone at this resort. My family and I really enjoyed our stay. The staff in the buffet were very friendly, our maid was delightful, the caregiver at the childcare centre was super sweet, the performers were fantastic, the gardeners always had flowers for us, and the staff at Mikes's coffee made great coffee in addition to being amazing people. A special thank you to Anisleida, Yamilka, Anaisa, Rosana and Kauima. Our son Nicholas was always smiles in your presence. Beautiful resort, great food and nice people ....... What more do u need?

• Stayed June 2014, travelled with family
2 Thank MnM627
Dear MnM627¨from Toronto, Canada, we are very please to hear you and your family enjoyed your recent visit with us and we thank you for your positive comments about our Buffet staff, the maid, gardeners, our Kid´s Club entertainer. It makes us so happy that your son Nicholas smiled with our Mike´s Coffe girls, as they are part of our "Stars of Service" employees. We hope to have you back to our hotel in the future.
Huddersfield
Reviewed 20 June 2014

I'll keep it short and sweet. I stayed in the hotel for the first two weeks of June. Everything was great about the hotel. I've stayed at some lovely places but will use this hotel if I come back to Cuba, which could be next year, except I would come earlier before the change in weather. The only fault I found,(which many have,) was that some of the prepared food was warm instead of hot. However, you have a very big choice at all meals, and they have three cooking stations where you can order to your choice what meat, fish, pasta and pizza you want, on top of what they already have!!!!!! To get a better holiday I think you would have to pay quite a lot more, as I have in the past, ie Maldives.

• Stayed June 2014
2 Thank Jghinckley
OCT-CustomerService, Director de Relaciones Públicas at Ocean Varadero El Patriarca, responded to this review, 24 June 2014
Dear Jghinckley, We thank you for taking the time in sharing your comments about your visit to our hotel. We welcome every opportunity of improvement, be sure we are already checking the issue you are mentioning about the food temperature. Once again we thank you for taking the time in sharing your comments and we hope to be able to host you again with us in the not so distant future.
Edmonton, Canada
Reviewed 19 June 2014

This was our ( my brother and I) second visit to this beautiful Hotel: Ocean Varadero El Patriarca. The room was ready when we arrived with everything we had asked for, 2 beds on a second floor with a nice view. We got the ocean view suite, upgraded to premium level free of charge, several blocks away from the Lobby, but a quick phone call always brought a cart to our door, with a pleasant driver (Irving, Bobby or Yoel) ready to take us anywhere we wanted to go. We were treated like kings; delicious Steak & Lobster dinner, zesty Mojitos at the bar and the Beach Restaurant, and A la carte dinners with Champagne or expensive Spanish wines. The entire staff, from the front desk to the bar and Restaurants were super friendly and helpful, always serving with a smile no matter how busy they were. Special mentions to Roberto and Gerry at the Bar Lounge, Carmen Rosa, manager at the Beach restaurant, the chef and entire staff at the Buffet Restaurant, and Zoe, our maid who kept the suite very clean. This resort, close to the Varadero Airport, is part of H10 Hotel chain. We have already stayed at their Punta Cana (Gran Bahia Princepe Amber) and at their Can Cun resort ( Ocean Corral) before. It is service like this wanting us to go back their again. Bravo El Patriarca!

Room Tip: We stayed at 4521, quieter and close to the Beach, the Beach restaurant and Snack bar. WE had a good...
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled with family
2 Thank tropicalrider
Dear guests, We are very pleased to learn that you and your brother enjoyed your second stay with us and to read your positive comments on the hotel, its staff and its services. We will pass your “hello” to Irvin, Bobby, Yoel, all the Buffet satff, Roberto and Gerry at the Lobby Bar, Carmen at the Beach Restaurant and Zoe with our congratulations on having created a positive difference in your stay. We will be very happy to host you for the third occation in sunny Varadero, as part of our returning guests family.
Saskatoon, Canada
Reviewed 18 June 2014

We have travelled all over Mexico and twice to the Dominican, but this time thought we would try Varadero, Cuba. We travelled there with another couple from Feb. 17/14 - Mar. 4/14, one of whom had been to Varadero years before, this was our first 2 week trip. This hotel was the perfect size for us, only 500 rooms, it is laid out quite well with condo-style rooms 8 to a building. 2nd floor room is a must and the doors do have small gaps at the bottom under which ants can get in, I brought a couple of small ant traps to solve this problem. We had a very comfortable room, well appointed, very modern and extremely clean. Our maid Leysi took very good care of us, with towel and bedsheet animals left on our beds daily absolutely adorable! My wife was celebrating a birthday while we were here, Leysi created a wonderful atmosphere for us in the room and bathtub with fresh flowers and many towel animals, it was beautiful! The front desk also called and asked me very sneakily if they could reserve us a table at one of their restaurants with a gorgeous flower basket for a small charge. Tipping goes a long way here and we brought a few things with us to use in place of tips, they love red lipstick! My friend left a pair of slightly used runners for our maid which had her in tears she was so happy.

The three a-la-carte restaurants were great, we had to line up as it is 1st come, 1st served, but all we did was grab a few drinks, joined the line and booked a table for a later time. The Italien was definitely top of our list, everything we had was delicious, they even catered to my wifes and my friends' gluten allergy, we brought along some gluten free pasta which they gladly prepared for us. Thank you to the chef and all of the servers at each of the restaurants, especially the "Forest Whittaker" look-alike that ran the steak house, what a gentleman! There were no limits on how many times we could dine there and we took full advantage of this. The buffet was always good, but slightly repetitive, the pasta bar was excellent, the meat grills were great and the egg station every morning was awesome. Mike's coffee shop run by Anisleidy, Rosana, Anaixa and Karima was also a favored spot for us with their delicious coffees and fresh fruit smoothies, delish!

The lobby bar is always a fun place to hang out and the bartenders and servers were always fun to talk to. Jorge Ruis, Justo, Nestor, Yaneisy, Yania and Yerri were great, just to name a few, but we never had a bad experience here, they did run out of straws a few times, but this was only a minor problem.

The snack bar is something that I always look for in any resort I stay in, this one had a 24 hour snack bar, with a limited menu at night, but it was a nice place to grab lunch during the day. There were certain hours that they were closed during the day, so check the schedule.

We didn't take advantage of many tours, but hopping on the double-decker bus for a ride into town for 5$ each was a steal, keep your ticket because it is good all day as well. There are many markets in town where you can buy typical touristy items. There are also a few banks in town where you can exchange money, the rates are a little better than the hotels, but not by much. If you do use the bank you need to have your passport, and you can take out money on a credit card here as well.

The shows at the resort were ok, slightly repetitive, but there were certain nights when there was live music before the show and this was excellent, a few times we just hung out in the back and played cards, great bartender and servers here also, especially the guy that ran the late night snack bar, who would serve drinks during the shows before opening the snack bar.

The beach was absolutely gorgeous, like many beaches in Cuba, and there was only 1 day in our 2 week stay that we could not get any lounge chairs on the beach at 10 am after breakfast. The daily volleyball game with the entertainment staff was always fun and they were always in great spirits with all the games and activities they ran. As we are sun-worshippers, we loved the weather, only 1 day of rain in 2 weeks!!! They do supply umbrellas in all the rooms, just in case, but I welcomed the rain, it offered us a little respite from the amazing heat.

We booked a day-trip, photo-tour into Havana one day with Yosel Vazquez, who we found through Trip Advisor, we emailed him before-hand and booked him for a certain day, we were asked if we wanted a minivan with air or an old '57 chevy, of course we booked the the old chevy. They picked us up at our resort in the morning, Yosel and his driver, and right from the start we hit it off, Yosel was a riot! He was very knowledgeable, having spent 7 years in college, teaching for 3 of them, and guiding tour busses in his spare time. We travelled 2 hours to Havana where we were dropped off at some amazing ruins in the old town. We walked through some unreal areas, from beautiful architecture to ancient ruins, to crumbling buildings where people still lived. Had an amazing lunch, stopped at a cigar factory, and drove 2 hours back, stopping at a wonderful little shop for an amazing pina colada. Yosel's contact info is; email ;yoselvazquez@yahoo.com website: http://ilovecuba.webs.com He was an amazing guide and this was definitely the highlight of our trip.

We thoroughly enjoyed our trip, this smaller resort having fully met our needs, we would love to return some day.

Room Tip: Not too close to the night club, 2nd floor
  • Stayed February 2014, travelled as a couple
6 Thank Aneta G
Dear Aneta G., We are so happy to hear you and your friends experienced a good time in our hotel and your birthday celebration was enjoyed by you. We appreciate your positive comments about our staff, specially Leysi the maid responsible of taking care of the room you stayed in. We thank you for taking the time in sharing your comments and we really hope to have the chance of receiving you again with us soon.
Montreal, Canada
Reviewed 18 June 2014

I stayed at the Ocean Varadero el Patriarca at the end of May. I had a central room that was for the most part clean, though, not spotless. There were hairs on the floor that they missed from the previous tenants. On my second to last day I evicted a cockroach (which I suppose is to be expected in a ground floor room) and there were ants.

The AC was really strong. I froze overnight. So if you like a chilled room, this place is for you. Otherwise use the extra blanket (or learn to master the wall controls). The shower was by far the best part of the room. The bed...it's hard, but comfortable. They don't use fitted sheets and the mattress cover is plastic. With my son sharing the bed, the sheet often was out of place so we ended up sleeping on plastic. Very uncomfortable.

The pools are nice and clean, and there were always chairs available. Umbrellas were not. Some people had them, but I don't know how they managed to get one. I guess you have to ask, which I didn't.

The a la carte restaurants are first come, first served, and you can go as many times as you like. I really liked that feature, however, the food, as is to be expected in Cuba, was "ok". I didn't get sick, so that was amazing, because I always get sick down south.

The beaches are nice, but I didn't get to take advantage very much. I was traveling with my son who is 1 and he didn't care for the sand too much. Although, to be fair, his first experience walking in the sand, and something cut his foot. They could do a better job cleaning the beach area up.

The people were helpful and friendly for the most part. I had one experience where it took 40 minutes to get some milk for my son. That's a long time to make a baby wait.

And check-in was a disaster. So slow and disorganized. And I requested to be close to my family, and they didn't honour the request (I had emailed them weeks before- twice).

If the price is right, and you're looking to relax, this place fits the bill.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled with family