“Not the 4/5* it was supposed to be.”

and 1 more site!
Melia Peninsula Varadero
Ranked #30 of 64 Hotels in Varadero
Reviewed 28 November 2013

We went 15th Oct to 29th Oct with First Choice/Thompson.To start with the Reception didn't know that we were coming whether it was Thompson the Travel Agent or not ? Anyway we got a good room which was spacious that had not been upgraded on the 3rd floor overlooking the Pool which was handy even if it was a bit of a walk up to the main Buffet Restaurant which we didn't mind. The food was mainly cold even if it was supposed to be hot,even when just put out, I didn't mind the queue up for a bit of steak or an omelette at least it was hot. It was hard to find the Rep after the first day there to tell them anything & when we booked a few outings with them we could not use a normal swipe machine to pay for them & they wanted us to lift cash at the Bank to pay for them, we were told as Thompson was leaving Cuba that was why they didn't have a machine but we eventually used a hand machine that they had to go over with a pencil to copy your card which I thought was not good enough. There was no cover from the Sun at the Main Pool apart from at the Buffet area, YoYo the Barman at the Pool was worth knowing. The Japanese was good fun with the show cooking, the French restaurant was okay, but the star was the Cuban restaurant which was only opened 1 Night when we were there, excellent food, beautifully presented.It was a bit hard to get some service from the Bar Staff some Nights. The resort would benefit from more visible information to residents about what is happening and open and when. Overall the resort is well laid out, the gardens well looked after, the beach is spacious and clean and overall the look of the complex is a credit to the staff team.

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Leo1549
MPV_General_Manager, Director Comercial at Melia Peninsula Varadero, responded to this reviewResponded 29 November 2013

Dear guests:

Thank you very much for your review! It was a pleasure to read you and to share your sincere opinion with all the travellers.

We are very well concentrated on your needs here at Meliá. We know that every guest is different and that is why it is important for us to know your preferences in order to satisfy them. In general you had a good exprience with us, but come issues as the hot line in the buffet had to be improved when you came. So we did, and now the service at the main restaurant is better.

We very much appreciate you taking the time to give us your opinion, dear guests. We will transmit your regards to Yoyo! He is very professional and friendly.

We certainly look forward to welcoming you back at Meliá Península Varadero.
Best regards,

Reviewed 26 November 2013

I visited Tryp Peninsula last year in August, there were 5 people in our group and we all enjoyed everything the hotel had to offer.

The rooms were nice, very clean and spacious. The grounds were beautiful and well kept at all times (our maid Yaidelin was fabulous- love her to death.... she always had a smile on her face)

There was a man who had hawks on the resort, it was amazing - we got to hold and feed them; it was a truly amazing experience!!!

The food wasn't that great, the snack bar had the best choices - the Japanese restaurant was to die for!! I highly recommend booking a reservation!

The beach was beautiful, there were paddle boats, sail boats, snorkeling gear etc.. We had a blast!!!!!

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled with friends
3  Thank Lori L
MPV_General_Manager, Director Comercial at Melia Peninsula Varadero, responded to this reviewResponded 2 December 2013

Dear Lor L:

Thank you very much for your refreshing comments! It was a pleasure to read you and to share your joy!

We are very well concentrated on your needs here at Meliá Península Varadero. Your satisfaction is the only purpose of our staff. If we have reached it, we did our job.

We very much appreciate you taking the time to give us your opinion, and certainly look forward to welcoming you back !

Best regards,

Reviewed 26 November 2013

Nice resort but the entertainment staff would not stop harrasing guest for food or drink" please get me whiskey, and pizza" this went on all day! If you didnt get it the serving staff would ignore you! There was a guessed who was super drunk and punching people! Security didnt do anything!! It seemed as though they were afraid of him! The servers kept bringing him 3 drinks at a time, like nothing was wrong! Very scary!! There was no music by the pool- only 1 day of poolside entertainment. Rooms were nice food was ok-- it was ok i guess...

• Stayed: October 2013
2  Thank Robinista

Dear Guest:

We appreciate you have shared your opinion with all the travelers and let us know about the points we shall improve.

How I would like your comments were indeed more than Ok, but I realize there were some issues that could be better. We have discussed every point with our entertainment team and took measures with those employees you mentioned, so this kind of thing should not happen again. Fortunately, the animation is now completely restored by the pool and the program is going fine.

Thanks for your comments about the rooms and food, that makes us know you have had good holidays with us in general.

Hoping to meet you back at Meliá Península Varadero,

Reviewed 17 November 2013

I am writing this review in comparison to other all inclusive rsorts i have been to. This was my first time in Cuba. I spent 3 nights in Havana (melia Habana) followed by 4 nights at the Melia Peninsula in Varadero.

Pros
- very good entertainment at some locations at the resort
- very good coffee at the bar
- most staff was very nice
- most front desk staff very hepfull
- food at all a la carte restaurants was good

Cons
- service was impossibly slow at times although the resort was not full
- noise from construction crews and hotel movers was not necessary (much shouting for no reason)
- the entire resort needs some TLC....best before date may have passed..
- the bar was missing many types of drinks advertised on the menu

So, all things considered, i know this is Cuba and the supply chain is delicate making goods difficult to obtain at times. However, contrary to what others have written in their reviews, there is wifi in Cuba and most drinks and food you can think of are available in Havana. Why not in Varadero?

Lastly, Canadians (which i am one of..), and other nationalities misbehaving is a problem. Melia and other chains should step up their security (with a balanced approach) and calm these folks down as required. Remember, not telling a boistrous partyer to calm down alienates dozens of others who are disturbed by bad behavior. And i also agree that some basic decorum (dress and conduct) should exist or be enforced in eating areas. I frequently hear from others that they do not return to all inclusive resorts because some guests cannot contain themselves in alcohol fuelled contexts.

I doubt i will return. In Varadero, there was a much reduced sense of caring for guests and the property and overall professionalism compared to the melia Habana in Havana.

Room Tip: Stay away from the pool area if you want peace and quiet. Try and get a top floor.
  • Stayed: November 2013, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Charles R
MPV_General_Manager, Director General at Melia Peninsula Varadero, responded to this reviewResponded 19 August 2016

Dear Charles R:
First of all, warm greetings from Melia Varadero Peninsula.
We regret the fact that you never has come a response from management. We would like to come back to share with his family Melia Peninsula.

Reviewed 14 November 2013 via mobile

The hotel is lovely, nice rooms and pool. The resort was clean and staff friendly.
My biggest downside was the food. The buffet food was warm at best unless you are lucky and they'd just put something out. The chef in the buffet cooking meat doesn't cook enough. My partner had some very raw pork! The Japanese restaurant was really good though, best food there!!
The security guard by our apartment was very annoying and kept talking to us to try and get sympathy and money. I enjoy chatting to the staff but not when they are clearly begging! Luckily he was only there the 1st 2 days.
The kids pool was closed but adult pool was great. The barman YoYo was excellent and refilled your drinks constantly!
All in all I enjoyed my stay but not sure id go back.

Stayed: October 2013, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Dawn1987

Dear Dawn1987:

Reviewed 13 November 2013

We spent two weeks at the Melia Peninsula Varadero during the first two weeks of November 2013. We travelled with First Choice from the UK and had a standard double room at the resort. Overall we enjoyed the stay although the resort became much busier during the last few days of our stay which changed the atmosphere (and not for the better). Upon arrival we were checked in efficiently and the helpful porters took us to our room. We had been given twin beds but really wanted a king so asked to change that they were more than happy to do, I recommend contacting them in advance as your holiday company may not give you the option to specify which you would prefer and saves you having to change upon arrival. We were given a map of the resort and a leaflet in German which I couldn't read so dismissed it. I later found out that was the leaflet with all the details about what time restaurants open e.t.c. Our rep from first choice did get us an English version once he realised I had not been given the correct leaflet albeit 3-4 days into the holiday. Overall the resort is well laid out, the gardens well looked after, the beach is spacious and clean and overall the look of the complex is a credit to the staff team. We found all the staff polite, helpful and very welcoming. The room was clean but more basic compared to similarly ranked resorts we'd stayed in elsewhere e.g. Mexico and Morocco. Maintenance in the room could be better and whilst we were there we had problems with the stiff patio door, the plug not working in the bathroom sink (which our rep had to ask twice for it to be sorted), a small table only appeared on the balcony after being there one week and a dripping toilet which we reported twice but was only fixed having mentioned it to Abel from customer services. The motto is go to customer services with problems not to reception, their office isn't labelled but is next to the Internet cafe room (there is no wifi, again blame the USA) and they get things sorted. Overall the resort would benefit from more visible information to residents about what is happening and open and when. Our leaflet told us that certain restaurants were closed during periods of low occupancy but nowhere in the hotel told us what the occupancy level was (we later found out they were approximately at 450 guest during our first week rising to 800 at the end of our second. They can accommodate 1200 at peak times). The drinks available can be limited as whilst we were there at various times they didn't have cognac on at least 2 nights or were unable to do banana shakes some afternoons. Food in the main buffet was fine and reasonably varied but remember Cuba is an importer of many foods and has quite challenging trade conditions imposed on them so the team have to work with what is available and do so very well. We went to all the a la carte restaurants that were open. The Japanese was good fun with the show cooking and very well seasoned, neither of us enjoyed the French restaurant but the star was the Cuban restaurant, excellent food, beautifully presented in lovely surroundings. Booking for these restaurants is confusing as you get 2 bookings per week however you get offered extra bookings if you buy flowers for the wife or pay extra for lobster basically you can 'buy' extra nights. It took us over a week to get a booking in the Cuban but strangely enough they could find a table that very night if I bought the flowers.

My only other gripe is with you, the other residents. The resort quite rightly has dress codes for the restaurants but does not enforce it. Yes I'm a Brit and we do the whole dress for dinner thing and I understand that others don't but vests and baseball caps (especially on Canadian men under 30), flips flops, shorts which don't come down to the knee and badly fitting sarongs over bikinis (an affliction of women over 40 it would seem) are not appropriate wear in the restaurant. Basically the only burnt flesh I want to see at mealtime is the stuff on my plate. I'd like to see the hotel turn people away if they can't turn up suitably dress for dinner.
Whilst I'm on the subject the Buffet restaurant is exactly that, not a workers canteen, could I politely suggest you get a table, order a glass of wine or water, then go and get some food and not walk in, grab a plate, pile up the food then wander around with your dinner in front of you as you search for a seat. It would be beneficial if people were seated at tables by the staff rather than the current free for all.

So overall if you are reading this because you've already booked, go and I'm sure you'll enjoy it, the staff are wonderful people and the resort is beautiful. Any problems speak to customer services who will get things sorted quickly and try to turn up for dinner suitably attired.

Overall the resort gets 90%right, the other little things were ultimately fixed and didn't spoil an enjoyable holiday but a little more attention to detail could make this a genuinely great resort.

Stayed: November 2013, travelled as a couple
3  Thank Stone73

Dear Customer:

Reviewed 11 November 2013

I just came back from Cuba where I spent a week in quite nice, but not an extraordinary hotel Melia Peninsula in Varadero (before Tryp). My trip was in between high and low season and I could see the difference in service even during my short holiday there. So if you are travelling in high season everything should be cykloseryn to perfection.
The hotel is quite old (renovations are now in progress). Nevertheless a room was clean, quite big and comfortable.
Food was average (finding really top class food is quite difficult in Cuba). I rather recommend you à la carte restaurants with better food and much better service. The best was Cuban with delicious shrimps in red salsa; Japanese was good too, especially because of the cooking show.
Coctails in bars were correct. In high season they are supposed to serve better rum (3 years old instead of the simpliest anejo blanco). It is good to give some tips to waiters, if not you can wait for your order for quite a long time.
Spa was not so good, one of saunas didn't work, for the other one I had to wait; the gym was old, jacuzzi as well. I don't recommend you hairdressing service.
To sum up- the hotel was good, for Cuban standards very good, the biggest inconvenience was lack of high speed internet (logging in to the mailbox took me 10 minutes, than sending every email about 10 minutes as well; regarding the price of 10$ an hour it was quite expensive).
Do not expect european standard of Melia hotels.

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled with family