“nice holiday!”

We can't find prices for this hotel
Melia Peninsula Varadero
Ranked #31 of 64 Hotels in Varadero
Reviewed 9 April 2014

i had 8 days in cuba. after 3 days of cultural tours around the country, it was a good break to stay in this holiday complex and rest. the food, gardens, beach are 5 stars. rooms, cleaning and staff 4 stars.
the only one bad experience in this hotel. i had a big problem with locks. the card system that opens the doors awkward. i stuck in front of the door in the middle of the night. i had to go and come back to reception (which is miles away) two times. i ended up changing the room thanks to the broken door. the whole story took almost one hour.
i had spent good time in there anyway. I recommend it.

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled with friends
2  Thank Serhat E
Director_Residente, Director Residente at Melia Peninsula Varadero, responded to this reviewResponded 9 April 2014

Dear Serhatengul;
Firstly I would like to thank you for your comments and I would like to apologize for the inconvenience with your lock. We are very glad that you had a nice relaxing time with us and you enjoy our gardens, beach and our food, I will pass your comments to all those teams.

We hope see you soon and do not forget to inform us before your next visit.

David

Write a ReviewReviews (4,730)

Reviewed 9 April 2014

My husband and I stayed at the Melia Peninsula Varadero from March 30th to April 6th. Everyone we spoke to warned us about the bad Cuban food. We had no issues and were pleasantly surprised. Its not exceptional food, but it certainly wasn't bad. We never got sick. There is always lots to choose from and you will not go hungry. We started our day off everyday with Alejandro at the omelet station....yummy!!! He was so much fun to watch, was really sweet and made great omelets!! The coffee is amazing. I'm not a coffee drinker, but found myself having 2 cups/day. So good!! Waiting for the coffee to be served can take a while so be prepared, but you are on vacation so sit back and relax. By the time we left we were going to get our own coffee at breakfast! The waitresses were laughing at us! :) Everyone is very easy going there!
We ate lunch most days at the snack bar, great fries and burgers. The a la carte meals were really good. The Japanese restaurant was my favorite, fun show and great food! The Italian restaurant comes in second...the food was ok, but the little band that sat in the restaurant and played music made the night. So enjoyable!

Our room was very clean, always made up nicely. We made sure to leave something for a tip everyday. Mini bar was stocked pretty much everyday. My husband left a tip in the fridge and asked for extra beer once and we always had plenty of beer everyday!
Beds are a little on the firm side...lol. You can sleep but by the last night you are starting to get a little stiff in the morning. However the location of our room made up for a hard bed...we were in building 26 and our room was steps from the beautiful beach!! Awesome!!!

Drinks varied GREATLY from bar to bar and were sometimes not so good. BUT you always have the option of wandering to another bar and ordering again...so a minor inconvenience.

Beach was amazing. We walked up and down lots of times. Beautiful white sand...gorgeous blue water, blue WARM water. So nice!! Activities daily on the beach. We never had an issue getting a chair to lounge on. Always plenty of room for everyone.

The overall atmosphere was really nice, lots of smiling faces waiting to help you. I felt very safe and comfortable there. They even let us check out late as we weren't scheduled to leave the resort until 7pm, so that was very nice. A BIG thank you to Yeleine...she was the best! So kind, so caring, made sure our trip was the best!!!! She went out of her way to make sure we had a great week and we sure did!! Thanks Yeleine

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled as a couple
Director_Residente, Director Residente at Melia Peninsula Varadero, responded to this reviewResponded 10 April 2014

Dear JenniferLee743;

Thank you very much for your review. Was a pleasure to take care of both of you during your stay. We are glad that you enjoy Alejandro´s omelette, we have another 2 omelette stations but he has always people waiting and our guests doesn´t want a simple omelette they want an Alejandro´s omelette. I will pass your comments to Alejandro and also to our Chef regarding your nice opinion of his food.
Please inform us before your next visit and we will allocate you in a nice room again.
See you soon;

Reviewed 8 April 2014

Truthfully, I'm not sure if I should rate this as poor or average. I say that only because I've only ever stayed at nicer resorts and I suspect this report is less than average. There are some positives however. My opinion on the resort is as follows:

Resort - not too far from the airport so that is good. The resort could use a major overhaul due to he age of materials. The finishes are dates, the paint and concrete is chipped all over the pools, paint is old and flaking everywhere else. Just cosmetics so that's fine.

The layout is fairly large and spread out. We were in the kid's section so our walk to the beach was about 10 minutes or more. Walking in the night was very dark.

Accommodations - rooms were dated, beds are extremely uncomfortable and need replacement. The shower is tiny but the tub is good with a pull out sprayer. Air conditioning worked very well!

Beach - the beach was lovely and the beach staff was helpful in assisting with chairs. People complained about the drop but I didn't see any issues with it other than the broken shells at you had to walk over. Don't let that discourage you.

Buffet food - DREADFUL!!! The food was even bad for Cuban food ad. Every person I talked to at the resort had some sort of stomach illness. We've been home for 10 days and still aren't well due to bacteria.

A la carte - Italian wasn't great. Japanese was good and they put effort into the entertainment element.

Drink selections - beer was cold and a lot of rum to choose from. We only had drinks at a few of the bars. The wine was worse than he food. Bring your own wine......undrinkable!

Entertainment - we only attended the kid's parties. Ricky he clown was very low budget but the kids absolutely loved him. He was pleasant and made the crowd part of his show. He will grow on you.

Kid's area - this area was great for kids. The pools are shallow and have different slides to accommodate all ages. The adults even had the fun on the big slide. No bar around if you want to sip in a cocktail while watching the kids.

Grounds - older resort so it has good vegetation and mature trees. Unfortunately there are water areas that could be really pretty but they don't have any water so it looks very rundown.

Staff - no urgency from the staff for anything. Overall they are friendly and I will say that the ground's crews were always very polite and always said "hola". The dining staff was always nice and always made the kids smile.

Service - There was little consistency in how many towels we would get a day in our room. They would not give more than the minimum. No chance of getting an extra bottle of water.

We were disappointed with check out day. We had a late flight out so we asked for a little bit of a late checkout so our little guy could have a little nap. They were ok with it when we asked he day before but the cleaning lady would not permit it on the day of. It wasn't worth our time to debate it.

Overall, we were disappointed and agreed that we should have paid the extra money to go to another resort. The food was so bad and we're still dealing with that 10 days after. The kids had fun and that was he main goal.

I wouldn't recommend this resort but I'm sure there are worse.

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled with family
2  Thank capershaun

Dear capershaum;

Firstly I would like to thank for your full report about your stay in our resort, as always we are taking all the comments in a very positive way to improve our resort and our service.
We are sad as you left our resort without a great experience even when your kids really enjoy it.
We are working all over the year to keep well maintain our resort; we are planning to do an upgrade to our main pool very soon. The layout of the resort is very well kept and the beach is not far at all as you have a nice garden views during your walk; however we have a buggy service on request.
We have renovated rooms and this year we are planning to do more and the rest of the rooms should be done by next year.
We have more than 1000 guests in house and we had not reports regarding stomach illness and also you didn´t report anything about this problem during your stay, as we hold an ISO 9001 we have health inspection and also internal inspection on regular basis to make sure that all our product are in good conditions and cleanness are well maintain as per government and our standards.
Regarding your check-out day, as in all the hotels and resorts the late check-out is on availability and with an extra charge, as you didn´t want the service the key automatic stop work by your check-out time (done by the system). I would apologize for the misunderstanding.
We are sad that you were not happy even when your kids enjoy it, I can guarantee that all Península Varadero Team always try to give the best service to our valued guests.

I would like you to consider to come back next season to our resort to see give as the chance to change your perception about our Resort and please inform us before to come and we will take care of you and your family to make sure that this will happens.

Reviewed 8 April 2014

i m sorry but I am not a picky person. this resort has some plus' the hamburgers at the pool were great and the staff were second to none there at the pool please tip them there because they make only around $16-18 a MONTH so if you get good service TIP them think what you make an hour and thank you Sandor my bar tender at the beach and beach buffet. good variety there as well. clean rooms was a plus. Japanese ala cart excellent worth it and also the Cuban.. ( not recommended Italian or French ala cart ) buffet hit and miss grounds well kept bar tenders didn't know how to make any drinks that tasted like anything, here is an example a black russian is 1 ounce vodka and 1 ounce kaluha they did 1 ounce coffee liquor and 6 ounces vodka, but the beer always cold and great the nightly shows were good as were the dancers ,beach was clean watch out for the broken shells u can pick shells all day the weather was great 29 c and sunny everyday .I m trying to make this resort sound as good as possible I will not go back to this resort paid 4 and a half star price for a 2 and a half star resort so for a person that is not fussy and can take some good with the bad. NOT recommended !!!!!!!!!! oh ya one more thing NO peanut butter

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled with friends
1  Thank no1bluffer

Dear no1bluffer;

Thank you very much for your comments and as always we will take your comments in a very positive way as they are the best tool to improve day-by-day our beautiful Resort.
We are glad that you enjoyed the burgers at the pool, the staff, our beach bar, our Ranchón, the buffet at the Ranchón, our cleanness, the Japanese and the Cuban restaurants, the service, gardens and also our entertainment.
Honestly I don’t feel good when you talk nicely about almost full resort and because one bartender did a wrong Black Russian for you and you didn´t enjoy the Italian and French restaurant you rate us as 2 and a half star Resort.
I would like you to consider us again for a future holiday and give us a chance to make a perfect Black Russian and also I will invite you a special dinner at the Italian and French restaurant to compensate your last visit.

Reviewed 8 April 2014

"Thank you to all the staff at Melia Peninsula. We had plenty of fun in the sun at a resort that had good food, clean pools, and the best beach ever. Fantastic weather the last 2 weeks of February. We hope to visit Cuba again soon!

Room Tip: Rooms on the bottom floor mean no stairs for those who have difficulty climbing.
  • Stayed: February 2014, travelled as a couple
Review collected in partnership with this hotel
1  Thank linandmik2014

Dear linandmik2014;

Thank you for your comments, we are very glad to know that you had plenty of fun and nice food during your holiday at our beautiful Resort.
I hope you will visit us very soon and do not forget to inform us before your next visit.

Best Regards;

Reviewed 31 March 2014

This was our first time to Varadero and our fourth stay at a Melia resort. The Peninsula is a good solid 4 star, (formerly a Tryp, also part of the Melia chain) and in keeping with their ratings.We went the first week of March and had a great time, fantastic weather and practically lived on that beautiful beach all week!
The wonderful staff here helped make our experience closer to a 5 star, very welcoming, with above average customer service skills.
Our room was clean and comfortable, and we found the beds the same, after reading some guests found them too hard. We booked with Elegance club, had the robes, slippers, beach towels, rum in the room and our building was the closest to the beach with fridge stocked daily. Great walk in closet with enough room for everything and a large bathroom with all the amenities you need, and a big balcony, CD player and flat screen TV. And quiet. If your toilet runs, as mentioned in a few reviews: just click the flush button again and it will stop.
Food was comparable to anywhere else we have been in Cuba and there was always enough choice at the supper buffet and the service here was excellent. Our favourite place to eat lunch was the La Laguna with great BBQ set up, with everything from kabobs, fish, chicken, pork, seafood paella and baked potatoes and went for a very nice ala carte one night. Close to the beach and some outside seating. We also liked the 24hr snack bar, near the main pool for a late day pizza or ham and cheese and they made good 2am burgers…(Yes pork)
The Beach: I loved this beach and our vacations are mainly about the beach and combined with the excellent service why we rated this resort so highly. Gets a 5* rating from us for wide beach, silky sand, warm water, A-1 walking and Fantastic for swimming and floating on calm days and great for wave riding when it’s not. Spent many enjoyable hours in the water and walking the beach, and there was enough room for everyone. No whiny jet skis, motor boats, just wind surfers and the odd parachute jumper and beach vendor. Snorkeling was OK.There was plenty of shade and chairs for everyone. One of the most enjoyable, respectful, friendly atmospheres with other guests we have had on a beach (or lobby.) Beach Chairs: I give the Melia chain kudos in this department. Like last year at the SLYM they stack the chairs and the beach staff set them up for you. Never a problem getting one and never noticed any ‘towel chairs’ that sat unused all day.
The highlight of our trip was Havana! I booked a private tour on line with Cuban Connections (out of Matanzas).It was such a fantastic day that I wrote a review just for them. It was one of the best days we have ever had on vacation and I highly recommend them!
Thank you to Odelia, Dannerys,at the buffet, Yaimi at the snack bar, Andy and Godoy at the beach bars and Alex on the beach,Damien at Cuban House: for treating us so wonderfully.

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled as a couple
5  Thank deblovesabeach
MPV_General_Manager, General Manager at Melia Peninsula Varadero, responded to this reviewResponded 1 April 2014

Dear deblovesabeach,

Thank you for posting your valuable review on the tripadvisor and I am so glad to read your positive stay!
Let me say honestly that I am really proud of my staff when I read positive comment like yours and it makes me feel that we are moving on the right direction to make our hotel even better for your future enjoyment. As you described, our biggest asset is the staff and we are proud of them and it will be my duty and pleasure to extend your compliments to Odelia, Dannerys, Yaimi, Andy, Godoy, Alex and Damien.

We are already looking forward to welcoming you again at the Melia Peninsula, so please let us know what your preferences are, to look after and guaranty another great time with us.

Warmest regards

Fabrizio Testoni

Reviewed 30 March 2014

Spent the last week at the Melia and enjoyed it very much . We traveled with 4 other couples and have all been to Cuba before . This resort was not huge and we found it easy to find our way around . The grounds were kept well and the gardeners were so friendly to us . Staff in the buffet were happy to serve us and the food selection was plenty , fresh fish to be grilled , steak , veal , shrimp ,and chicken. Breakfasts were perfect with freshly made omelets as well . When you are there , try to have the bananas flambe for dessert , it is sooooo good and made right in front of you . Previous reviews mentioned the lack of dishes and long line ups , but we did not experience this at all . We had 4 a la carte dinners , the Japanese was the most entertaining and tasty , next I thought the Italian was delicious , but definately way too much food was served . More of a waste because none of us could finish each serving and a lot of food got thrown out . The red wine was yummy too . The French Bistro was next and we had lobster and shrimp cocktail with the most excellent pears in red wine sauce and ice cream for dessert . The Cuban restaurant was not our favorite , the servers really did not interact and that, to us is all part of the experience . The beach was nice and we enjoyed the paddle boats , always found a lounge chair . We were in building 21 and the rooms were really big and decorated nicely . The slippers and bath robes were a nice touch as I wasn't expecting those at all . As a photographer I also look forward to the decorative art left on the beds each day , but not once in our 7 days there did we receive anything . Two of the couples with us [ who were in the same building ] enjoyed fancy curtains , shaped swans made from towels and bedspreads , and many other designs . Needless to say it was quite disappointing for me . Previous reviews talked about the dried ponds around the resort and the reply is always that " they are working on it " , well not once did we see anyone fixing or working on them . When you exit the lobby or buffet doors and you see the ugly green water in the pond that is only half full , it certainly does not give you a great first impression . Thank goodness the staff makes up for the rest . Overall , it is a nice place , but not sure I would return .

Room Tip: building 21 is close to the swimming pool and snack bar , which by the way makes awesome french frie...
  • Stayed: March 2014, travelled with friends
3  Thank camerashyCanada
MPV_DirComercial, Director General at Melia Peninsula Varadero, responded to this reviewResponded 31 March 2014

Dear camerashyCanada:

First of all thank you for sharing your lived experience with other travelers. We are happy to know you enjoyed your stay at Meliá Península. Our staff works everyday in order to satisfy our guests and we welcome any impression that helps us to get more efficiency.

Lakes are an important element of the harmonic composition of our beautiful gardens. The Maintenance Department have been working on the repairs of the lakes around the resort, but it is a complex work that depend on many facts like weather and other technical devices.

Thanks for your comments referred to our staff and services, specially about restaurants, we want to offer a quality service and the opinions of our guests are the best tips. I will transmit your review to every involved Department, gardeners, house keeper, staff at the buffet and specially to our Chef.

If you decided to visit us again, please, do not hesitate in contact us.
Best Regards