Just came back from a one week stay at the Melia Peninsula Veradero - I was apprehensive about going as the reviews seemed to be all over the place. All in all we had a wonderful time. This may be lengthy -
Food: Although there was no shortage of food the qualify was lacking. What some of the other reviews mentioned about concerns with cross contamination of food was certainly evident (same tongs used for raw and cooked meet) and food being left out in the sun. The fish at the buffet was great, and the a la cartes were great. Although there was food available 24 hours a day, I found it a bit "inconvenient" to be eating at the hotdog/hamberger stand for snacks with young children. There needs to be bananas and crackers (children's snack foods) for in between meals - Canadian children do not eat supper at 7 or 8 pm - so it took us a few days to acclimatize our family to Cuban meal times. If travelling with children, definitely bring granola bars, crackers, etc. Also there was a terrible odor in the buffet room - I think it may have been the smell of the guava fruit -
Beach: great beach - I was concerned after reading one review about shells and cigarette butts - and yes there were a lot of broken shells from the surf and some butts - but the beach was well maintained and beautiful - one of my favorite parts of the vacation. The children loved looking for whole shells and the water was perfect. The watersports were free - except for a small fee you could have someone take the catamaran to a snorkel spot just off shore - well worth it.
Pools - The children loved both pools and we made sure we went to one every day after the beach - neither was crowded.
Staff - staff was friendly and helpful - everyone was exceptional with my two children. On two occasions we called the front desk to request something - both times we had a follow up call to ensure we were satisfied. All of our experience with the staff was wonderful.
Money exchange - I had read about line ups and unreliable hours - we did not encounter this problem - I never waited in a line - I don't think the hotel was booked to capacity though
Entertainment - I didn't see shows every night - but what I did see was great. My 3 yr old son loved the clown show
Rooms and grounds - The rooms were pretty much exactly like the pictures - the landscaping is well maintained, however some upkeep or maintenance would go a long way - some paint would freshen it up
Also loved the fact that I could be on the beach without vendors going up and down the beach trying to sell items (which I always encountered in Dominican and Mexico)
Not a 5 star resort by North American standards, however I had a wonderful vacation and would go back
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- All inclusive resort ideal for families, with a dedicated children's area, a marvelous tranquil beach, full of activities for all ages. Honeymooners also get special treatment in a quiet special area. Tennis courts, gym, non motorized water sports, drinks, a la carte and buffet dining included. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, LoveHolidays, Travel Republic (UK), Priceline, Holiday Gems, Odigeo, TripOnline SA, Traveltool, S.L.U., Cancelon and Evoline ltd so you can book your Melia Peninsula Varadero reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Tryp Peninsula Varadero Hotel Varadero
- Tryp Peninsula Cuba
- Peninsula Varadero
- Tryp Varadero
- Varadero Peninsula
- Tryp Peninsula Varadero Cuba
- Tryp Peninsula Hotel Varadero Beach
- Varadero Beach Tryp Peninsula