5,173 results
All reviews melia peninsula kids pool laguna restaurant a la carte restaurants lobby bar fish pasta main buffet buffet restaurant kids club main pool beef other resorts recommend this resort the double decker bus fries great resort
Reviewed 21 May 2014

First and for most, this trip was for my 30th birthday and travelling with my mother. She has been in a Varadero resort before, and she even told me, this particular resort was not what she expected. I have major criterias to complain about:

1 Cleanliness: terrible, just awful! I couldn't imagine anything like having to go to our room to go to the bathroom, because any where else. Either, the bathroom stall couldn't close, toilets couldn't flush, lack of toilet tissue and the seat. On top of that, the floors, looked like they hadn't been washed in a week.

2 Food; well all was expected, I am not a fussy eater, but this was just not edible. I could only go at the snack bar by the pool (even at that, it didn't taste right). The buffets everything tasted the same and I give props for the A La Carte restaurants, because they were very delightful.

3 Room: My mother had booked through a travel agency, so we didn't know it was a family resort. That said, as we arrived (at night), we didn't notice that we were put into a section for family with children. I did not enjoy walking the 10-12 minutes to the beach every morning,

Aside the negatives, the beach was okay for walking long distance and the activities were very fun. Had beautiful weather all through the week. Great tours to enjoy in Havana, catamaran tours, and such.

Room Tip: make sure you book your rooms properly, or switch as soon as possible
  • Stayed: May 2014, travelled with family
1  Thank Steffy C
Director_Residente, Director Residente at Melia Peninsula Varadero, responded to this reviewResponded 24 May 2014

Dear Steffy C;

Firstly I would like to thank you for your comments as always we are taking all our guests comments to improve our resort and service. We are glad that you liked our beautiful beach and you enjoy the activities, as you perfectly described they are very fun.
After check your booking I am surprise that you didn´t contact with our guest relations to ask for a room change or to make any report of the issues that you comment.
I would like you to consider to coming back again in the near future and please inform us before your next visit and I will take care of your room allocation and I will make sure that you will have a great holidays in our beautiful resort.

Best Regards;

David Salgado
Resident Manager

Reviewed 14 May 2014

Stayed at Melia Peninsula from April 13-20, 2014. Eleven of us (both family and friends) flew down Air Transat from Toronto on a classy Airbus 330 (wow). Reviewing from all of us, we had a truly fantastic stay at this wonderful resort. I hadn't been to Cuba in a few years, so i found that the change in quality of the food was great - no more bland foods as people use to say. the food was so delicious there, and there was sure plenty to choose from. My brother, who joined us, had always said he would never go to Cuba. Well, boy has he changed his mind. He would go back there anytime. This resort was clean, close to anywhere you wanted to go. The rooms were spacious. We stayed in the Elegance Club section, which allowed us to have a BBQ for the guests that stayed in the Air Transat Distinction rooms. Well, that BBQ was grilled Lobster, grilled chicken and pork chops and baked potatoes and peppers on the BBQ. Wow, was that good. And you sat in one of the restaurants that is open, so you get that nice breeze while dining. I can't tell you enough good stuff about this resort. I celebrated a special birthday while down there, and our little group will never forget that special night. We had some tables set up for us outside the French/Japanese restaurant. We were served Lobster, and smoked salmon, a great soup and other great servings. Weather was perfect, and we were just so grateful to be at this most wonderful resort. We went to the Italian, Japanese restaurants one night, which were great. Weren't too fond of the French restaurant, it was just ok. Buffet food was great, lots to choose from. The beach was just beautiful, blue pristine water. I had seen on other reviews about a drop before going into the water. this was not a big deal at all, it's not a drop in the water, it's just a little sandhill before stepping into the sand on the shore. someone always digs the sand with their feet and we just gently walk thru, don't let that discourage you, no big deal. My cousin is 75 years old, and she just stepped down a bit and had no problems. You will LOVE this beach, very clean. We also visited Havana on the tour bus from the hotel, which we all really loved, it's a must see at least once while visiting Cuba, this was my second time. We also took the double decker bus down the strip and visited Al's house, which is a nice historic house that Al Capone once owned. Very friendly people there, and you can have a huge Lobster dinner there for only 25 pesos. The cost for the double decker bus is 5 pesos for a pass, and you can ride all day, get off at one point and hop on again. it was great. The weather was like 28-33 all week, only rained once at night. We absolutely loved this resort, and would return in a heartbeat. Friendly staff, great nightly entertainment, thank you Melia Peninsula for a great stay in Paradise. The only little negative is the bartenders need to smoothen up their pina coladas and daquiris a little more, too watery, but in some bars they were better than others. Can't wait to go back.

Room Tip: We stayed in bldg's 23, 25 and 27, which are ideal, close to beach and pool
  • Stayed: April 2014, travelled with family
9  Thank chumzy
director_general_mpv, Director General at Melia Peninsula Varadero, responded to this reviewResponded 19 May 2014

Dear Chumzy,

We want to thank you for use part of your valuable time to share details of your stay in our hotel on tripadvisor. Thank you also for the good review and mentioning the variety and quality of food and beverage, we work hard every day and do our best efforts to guaranty the best offer and wide selection of food for our guests. I am glad to know that you truly enjoyed the vacation and let me also say that I am proud to know that your brother has changed his mind on Cuba, at the end it is a so fantastic island with so beautiful people which is hard not to love it.
We hope to greet you soon back at Melia Pemninsula Varadero on our resort.

Warm regards from Cuba

Director General

Reviewed 12 May 2014

We stayed for 10 days over Christmas/New Year at this hotel. The staff were delightful and having met some of the management who were there because of the transition to a Melia hotel, there were some teething problems which they were well aware of and hoped to rectify. I admired the staff who had to cope with visitors who drank too much and ate far too much. My favourite moment was the North American 13 year old who wanted a "5 egg omlette" and the staff very sweetly advised that the maximum was "3 eggs". The hotel is all inclusive but you don't need to eat everything that you see. The joy of Cuba are the people and the atmosphere, the food is not themost important thing.

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled as a couple
6  Thank Sarah A
MPV_DirComercial, Director General at Melia Peninsula Varadero, responded to this reviewResponded 12 May 2014

Dear Sarah A:

We are very happy you have enjoyed our services during your stay at Meliá Varadero Peninsula.
Thank for sharing your comments with the travelers on the web. We are happy you has enjoyed Cuban people and the very nice atmosphere of our tropical paradise. The small details of everyday are very important if you want to improve services, accompanied by the renovation of the structure Meliá is currently operating in the hotel.

Our renovation program is reaching all the areas in the resort. We hope to meet you back next holidays…

You have in Meliá Península Varadero your home away from Canada!!!

Best regards,

Reviewed 9 May 2014

Just came back from a one week stay at the Melia Peninsula Veradero - I was apprehensive about going as the reviews seemed to be all over the place. All in all we had a wonderful time. This may be lengthy -
Food: Although there was no shortage of food the qualify was lacking. What some of the other reviews mentioned about concerns with cross contamination of food was certainly evident (same tongs used for raw and cooked meet) and food being left out in the sun. The fish at the buffet was great, and the a la cartes were great. Although there was food available 24 hours a day, I found it a bit "inconvenient" to be eating at the hotdog/hamberger stand for snacks with young children. There needs to be bananas and crackers (children's snack foods) for in between meals - Canadian children do not eat supper at 7 or 8 pm - so it took us a few days to acclimatize our family to Cuban meal times. If travelling with children, definitely bring granola bars, crackers, etc. Also there was a terrible odor in the buffet room - I think it may have been the smell of the guava fruit -
Beach: great beach - I was concerned after reading one review about shells and cigarette butts - and yes there were a lot of broken shells from the surf and some butts - but the beach was well maintained and beautiful - one of my favorite parts of the vacation. The children loved looking for whole shells and the water was perfect. The watersports were free - except for a small fee you could have someone take the catamaran to a snorkel spot just off shore - well worth it.
Pools - The children loved both pools and we made sure we went to one every day after the beach - neither was crowded.
Staff - staff was friendly and helpful - everyone was exceptional with my two children. On two occasions we called the front desk to request something - both times we had a follow up call to ensure we were satisfied. All of our experience with the staff was wonderful.

Money exchange - I had read about line ups and unreliable hours - we did not encounter this problem - I never waited in a line - I don't think the hotel was booked to capacity though

Entertainment - I didn't see shows every night - but what I did see was great. My 3 yr old son loved the clown show

Rooms and grounds - The rooms were pretty much exactly like the pictures - the landscaping is well maintained, however some upkeep or maintenance would go a long way - some paint would freshen it up

Also loved the fact that I could be on the beach without vendors going up and down the beach trying to sell items (which I always encountered in Dominican and Mexico)

Not a 5 star resort by North American standards, however I had a wonderful vacation and would go back

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled with family
4  Thank Tina H
director_general_mpv, Director General at Melia Peninsula Varadero, responded to this reviewResponded 13 May 2014

Dear Tina,

We are very happy you have enjoyed our services during your stay at Meliá Peninsula Varadero. Specialized in families and tourist groups, the hotel seeks the dreams of friends, people who want good service, quiet fun, relaxing, while tasting of the sea, the breeze, the neighbor paradise. We greatly appreciate you have shared your personal experience with other travelers on the web and glad to know you have spent a wonderful time with us! The management of Meliá Península is committed with the quality and our staff is always working on clients' satisfaction. However, we know some improvements are needed as you have realized during your holidays. Is very good to know you delighted the fish at the buffet, and food in the á la carte restaurants. Lots of customers stay longer in the resort just to enjoy to maximum the all inclusive formula in perfect combination with the Caribbean weather down the palm trees. Even greater news is that you will be back to join the transparency of the blue waters, the fine white sand and the warm sea!!!

We certainly look forward to welcoming your family back at Meliá Península Varadero,

Best Regards

Director General

Reviewed 1 May 2014

We spent a week at the Melia Peninsula Varadero, and thoroughly enjoyed the experience. The staff was extremely friendly (kudos go out to our cleaning lady, Haiti, our "Japanese" chef,, Jose, and our morning coffee girl at the lobby patio, Jennifer!) and the property is spotless. The resort is big enough to offer anything you would need for the week, but small enough to get around to everything without having to walk forever to get from place to place. The rooms are spacious, with walk-in closets, and big balconies, along with soaker tubs and separate showers. We never had a problem getting a place in the shade on the beach, or at the pool, no matter what time of day it was - a bonus for us, as we enjoy sleeping in a bit.

The entertainment in the lobby far surpasses the theatre entertainment, and we spent every evening there, enjoying the various bands that performed. We also enjoyed the various small trios and quartets that played at La Laguna at lunch time.

I'd have given it 5-stars, but we found the buffet to be very repetitious, and we were tired of the same food, over and over, by the end of the week. The A La Cartes are delicous (the best, by far, is the Japanese), and broke up the routine nicely. We also found it a bit "tired" and in need of some paint, but saw some painting and sprucing up happening while we were there, as I'm sure it was the beginning of the off-season.

Tips for travellers: Bring face cloths - they don't provide them. There aren't any 110V plug ins in any of the rooms, so leave your appliances at home. They recently got wireless internet in the lobby, and charge 5.00 CUC for an hour of usage (not bad, I thought). The best coffee is at the lobby bar (cappuccino and mochaccino is also available!). If you want a massage, they do require at least a one-day advance booking, so you can't just "drop in" and hope to have one. Make sure and bring gifts (and tips!) for your cleaning lady - you will be rewarded with gorgeous towel and blanket sculptures with flowers! (I picked up a bunch of small gifts at the Dollar Store, and she was thrilled with them.) Bring a thermal mug for your drinks - keeps them cold, and saves trips to the bar. :)

Room Tip: We stayed in Block 25 - view of the pool, and close to the beach - but the resort is small enough that it doesn't take long to walk anywhere. We were far enough from the theatre that we couldn't hear it, so it didn't keep us up at night.
  • Stayed: April 2014, travelled with family
4  Thank Diane D
Director_Residente, Director Residente at Melia Peninsula Varadero, responded to this reviewResponded 3 May 2014

Dear Diane W;

Firstly I would like to thank you for your review. We are glad that you enjoyed your holidays and you had relaxing days in our piece of paradise.

I will pass your comments to my team, specially to Haiti, Jose and Jennifer.

I am glad that you enjoy our entertainment, we have a young team, very active and they really focus in our guests, we introduce music and show every day in our lobby to give a second option to all the guests that they won’t like to go to the theatre.

It is great that you mention the Wi-Fi, now we have Wi-Fi connection in our Lobby and Lobby bar, 4.50 CUC per hour.

Always all the maintenance is done during the low season but always in close areas to don´t disturb to any of our valuable guests.

I hope see you again in our Resort and do not forget to inform us before your next visit.
Best regards;