“Fantastic Holiday”

Ranked #33 of 63 Hotels in Varadero
Burton upon Trent, United Kingdom
“Fantastic Holiday”
Reviewed 29 May 2014

This Hotel has had its bad reviews and i was worried after reading them. BUT this hotel is a fantastic resort. the grounds look fantastic , The staff are great , the Food caters for all,yeah it's buffet food but they more than catered for all people.

I had a stress free stay , met great people and would highly recommend this hotel.

The entertainment at night was good.

The Japanese restaurant is a must.

juanito in the buffet restaurant was a top bloke - Cheeeers Mate :)

Room Tip: We stopped in 2733 top room clean , tidy and the Air con was great. mini bar stocked all the time.
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
7 Thank Mark W
Director_Residente, Director Residente at Melia Peninsula Varadero, responded to this review, 29 May 2014
Dear Whitoni;

Thank you so much for your comments; we are very glad that you had a stress free stay in our beautiful and relaxing Resort.

I will pass all your comments to my team and especially to Juanito.

We add more night animation to ensure that everybody have a chance to choose and enjoy the entertainment.

Hopefully you will come back soon and do not forget to inform us before your next visit.

Best regards;

Resident Manager

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (486)
  • Hungarian first
  • Polish first
  • Slovak first
  • Turkish first
Reviewed 25 May 2014 via mobile

The resort and the staff were great. We were treated so well. There was a lot of wonderful food, restaurants and a great pool an gorgeous beach. We would go back in a heartbeat. Abel was a great help with any questions we had. This was our first tropical vacation. So memorable.

• Stayed April 2014
6 Thank Kralcewicz
Director_Residente, Director Residente at Melia Peninsula Varadero, responded to this review, 27 May 2014
Dear Kralcewicz;

Thank you very much for all your comments, we are very glad to know that you enjoyed your holidays in our beautiful Resort.
I will pass your comments to Abel, I am sure he is going to be very happy and he will appreciate.

We hope see you very soon and do not forget to inform us before your next visit.

Best regards;

Vancouver, Canada
Reviewed 21 May 2014

Didnt really know what to expect as I had not been to Cuba before. Everything exceeded anything I had heard. A beautiful resort, great people, couldnt ask for anything more! Would definately recommend this resort to anyone!

Room Tip: We lucked out and got a ground floor room, I know if I go back this would be what I would ask for as...
  • Stayed April 2014, travelled with family
Review collected in partnership with this hotel

10 Thank Scraboo
MPV_DirComercial, Director General at Melia Peninsula Varadero, responded to this review, 23 May 2014
Dear Scraboo:

Thank you very much for your refreshing comments! It was a pleasure to read you and to share your joy!

We are very well concentrated on your needs here at Meliá. We know that every guest is different and that is why it is important for us to know your preferences in order to satisfy them. Your satisfaction is the only purpose of our staff. If we have reached it, we did our job. It all comes down to you! We would not be who we are without you!

We appreciate your have recommended us to other travelers, and hope to meet you back soon.

Moncton, Canada
Reviewed 21 May 2014

First and for most, this trip was for my 30th birthday and travelling with my mother. She has been in a Varadero resort before, and she even told me, this particular resort was not what she expected. I have major criterias to complain about:

1 Cleanliness: terrible, just awful! I couldn't imagine anything like having to go to our room to go to the bathroom, because any where else. Either, the bathroom stall couldn't close, toilets couldn't flush, lack of toilet tissue and the seat. On top of that, the floors, looked like they hadn't been washed in a week.

2 Food; well all was expected, I am not a fussy eater, but this was just not edible. I could only go at the snack bar by the pool (even at that, it didn't taste right). The buffets everything tasted the same and I give props for the A La Carte restaurants, because they were very delightful.

3 Room: My mother had booked through a travel agency, so we didn't know it was a family resort. That said, as we arrived (at night), we didn't notice that we were put into a section for family with children. I did not enjoy walking the 10-12 minutes to the beach every morning,

Aside the negatives, the beach was okay for walking long distance and the activities were very fun. Had beautiful weather all through the week. Great tours to enjoy in Havana, catamaran tours, and such.

Room Tip: make sure you book your rooms properly, or switch as soon as possible
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank Steffy C
Director_Residente, Director Residente at Melia Peninsula Varadero, responded to this review, 24 May 2014
Dear Steffy C;

Firstly I would like to thank you for your comments as always we are taking all our guests comments to improve our resort and service. We are glad that you liked our beautiful beach and you enjoy the activities, as you perfectly described they are very fun.
After check your booking I am surprise that you didn´t contact with our guest relations to ask for a room change or to make any report of the issues that you comment.
I would like you to consider to coming back again in the near future and please inform us before your next visit and I will take care of your room allocation and I will make sure that you will have a great holidays in our beautiful resort.

Best Regards;

Resident Manager

Travellers are raving about these Varadero hotels

Reviewed 14 May 2014

Stayed at Melia Peninsula from April 13-20, 2014. Eleven of us (both family and friends) flew down Air Transat from Toronto on a classy Airbus 330 (wow). Reviewing from all of us, we had a truly fantastic stay at this wonderful resort. I hadn't been to Cuba in a few years, so i found that the change in quality of the food was great - no more bland foods as people use to say. the food was so delicious there, and there was sure plenty to choose from. My brother, who joined us, had always said he would never go to Cuba. Well, boy has he changed his mind. He would go back there anytime. This resort was clean, close to anywhere you wanted to go. The rooms were spacious. We stayed in the Elegance Club section, which allowed us to have a BBQ for the guests that stayed in the Air Transat Distinction rooms. Well, that BBQ was grilled Lobster, grilled chicken and pork chops and baked potatoes and peppers on the BBQ. Wow, was that good. And you sat in one of the restaurants that is open, so you get that nice breeze while dining. I can't tell you enough good stuff about this resort. I celebrated a special birthday while down there, and our little group will never forget that special night. We had some tables set up for us outside the French/Japanese restaurant. We were served Lobster, and smoked salmon, a great soup and other great servings. Weather was perfect, and we were just so grateful to be at this most wonderful resort. We went to the Italian, Japanese restaurants one night, which were great. Weren't too fond of the French restaurant, it was just ok. Buffet food was great, lots to choose from. The beach was just beautiful, blue pristine water. I had seen on other reviews about a drop before going into the water. this was not a big deal at all, it's not a drop in the water, it's just a little sandhill before stepping into the sand on the shore. someone always digs the sand with their feet and we just gently walk thru, don't let that discourage you, no big deal. My cousin is 75 years old, and she just stepped down a bit and had no problems. You will LOVE this beach, very clean. We also visited Havana on the tour bus from the hotel, which we all really loved, it's a must see at least once while visiting Cuba, this was my second time. We also took the double decker bus down the strip and visited Al's house, which is a nice historic house that Al Capone once owned. Very friendly people there, and you can have a huge Lobster dinner there for only 25 pesos. The cost for the double decker bus is 5 pesos for a pass, and you can ride all day, get off at one point and hop on again. it was great. The weather was like 28-33 all week, only rained once at night. We absolutely loved this resort, and would return in a heartbeat. Friendly staff, great nightly entertainment, thank you Melia Peninsula for a great stay in Paradise. The only little negative is the bartenders need to smoothen up their pina coladas and daquiris a little more, too watery, but in some bars they were better than others. Can't wait to go back.

Room Tip: We stayed in bldg's 23, 25 and 27, which are ideal, close to beach and pool
  • Stayed April 2014, travelled with family
9 Thank chumzy
director_general_mpv, Director General at Melia Peninsula Varadero, responded to this review, 19 May 2014
Dear Chumzy,

We want to thank you for use part of your valuable time to share details of your stay in our hotel on tripadvisor. Thank you also for the good review and mentioning the variety and quality of food and beverage, we work hard every day and do our best efforts to guaranty the best offer and wide selection of food for our guests. I am glad to know that you truly enjoyed the vacation and let me also say that I am proud to know that your brother has changed his mind on Cuba, at the end it is a so fantastic island with so beautiful people which is hard not to love it.
We hope to greet you soon back at Melia Pemninsula Varadero on our resort.

Warm regards from Cuba

Director General
Reviewed 12 May 2014

We stayed for 10 days over Christmas/New Year at this hotel. The staff were delightful and having met some of the management who were there because of the transition to a Melia hotel, there were some teething problems which they were well aware of and hoped to rectify. I admired the staff who had to cope with visitors who drank too much and ate far too much. My favourite moment was the North American 13 year old who wanted a "5 egg omlette" and the staff very sweetly advised that the maximum was "3 eggs". The hotel is all inclusive but you don't need to eat everything that you see. The joy of Cuba are the people and the atmosphere, the food is not themost important thing.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
6 Thank Sarah A
MPV_DirComercial, Director General at Melia Peninsula Varadero, responded to this review, 12 May 2014
Dear Sarah A:

We are very happy you have enjoyed our services during your stay at Meliá Varadero Peninsula.
Thank for sharing your comments with the travelers on the web. We are happy you has enjoyed Cuban people and the very nice atmosphere of our tropical paradise. The small details of everyday are very important if you want to improve services, accompanied by the renovation of the structure Meliá is currently operating in the hotel.

Our renovation program is reaching all the areas in the resort. We hope to meet you back next holidays…

You have in Meliá Península Varadero your home away from Canada!!!

Best regards,

Dartmouth, Canada
Reviewed 9 May 2014

Just came back from a one week stay at the Melia Peninsula Veradero - I was apprehensive about going as the reviews seemed to be all over the place. All in all we had a wonderful time. This may be lengthy -
Food: Although there was no shortage of food the qualify was lacking. What some of the other reviews mentioned about concerns with cross contamination of food was certainly evident (same tongs used for raw and cooked meet) and food being left out in the sun. The fish at the buffet was great, and the a la cartes were great. Although there was food available 24 hours a day, I found it a bit "inconvenient" to be eating at the hotdog/hamberger stand for snacks with young children. There needs to be bananas and crackers (children's snack foods) for in between meals - Canadian children do not eat supper at 7 or 8 pm - so it took us a few days to acclimatize our family to Cuban meal times. If travelling with children, definitely bring granola bars, crackers, etc. Also there was a terrible odor in the buffet room - I think it may have been the smell of the guava fruit -
Beach: great beach - I was concerned after reading one review about shells and cigarette butts - and yes there were a lot of broken shells from the surf and some butts - but the beach was well maintained and beautiful - one of my favorite parts of the vacation. The children loved looking for whole shells and the water was perfect. The watersports were free - except for a small fee you could have someone take the catamaran to a snorkel spot just off shore - well worth it.
Pools - The children loved both pools and we made sure we went to one every day after the beach - neither was crowded.
Staff - staff was friendly and helpful - everyone was exceptional with my two children. On two occasions we called the front desk to request something - both times we had a follow up call to ensure we were satisfied. All of our experience with the staff was wonderful.

Money exchange - I had read about line ups and unreliable hours - we did not encounter this problem - I never waited in a line - I don't think the hotel was booked to capacity though

Entertainment - I didn't see shows every night - but what I did see was great. My 3 yr old son loved the clown show

Rooms and grounds - The rooms were pretty much exactly like the pictures - the landscaping is well maintained, however some upkeep or maintenance would go a long way - some paint would freshen it up

Also loved the fact that I could be on the beach without vendors going up and down the beach trying to sell items (which I always encountered in Dominican and Mexico)

Not a 5 star resort by North American standards, however I had a wonderful vacation and would go back

• Stayed May 2014, travelled with family
4 Thank Tina H
director_general_mpv, Director General at Melia Peninsula Varadero, responded to this review, 13 May 2014
Dear Tina,

We are very happy you have enjoyed our services during your stay at Meliá Peninsula Varadero. Specialized in families and tourist groups, the hotel seeks the dreams of friends, people who want good service, quiet fun, relaxing, while tasting of the sea, the breeze, the neighbor paradise. We greatly appreciate you have shared your personal experience with other travelers on the web and glad to know you have spent a wonderful time with us! The management of Meliá Península is committed with the quality and our staff is always working on clients' satisfaction. However, we know some improvements are needed as you have realized during your holidays. Is very good to know you delighted the fish at the buffet, and food in the á la carte restaurants. Lots of customers stay longer in the resort just to enjoy to maximum the all inclusive formula in perfect combination with the Caribbean weather down the palm trees. Even greater news is that you will be back to join the transparency of the blue waters, the fine white sand and the warm sea!!!

We certainly look forward to welcoming your family back at Meliá Península Varadero,

Best Regards