“An average hotel and service in varadero.”

Melia Peninsula Varadero
Ranked #32 of 63 Hotels in Varadero
Ontario
“An average hotel and service in varadero.”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 June 2014 via mobile

We stayed at Melia Peninsula Varadero in May and it was not very busy at all. The food staff diffenately require assistance from management, regarding safe handling and keeping the buffet running. I felt as though if I needed something it was a bother (example bread) cause there was none...I asked 2 staff then management after they dissappear ed for 10 mins then they fully stocked it.the beach lunch area was terrible, especially the cooks there, they just don't like their job, or don't like English Speaking people. The waiter/ waitress staff were excellent...2 especially...we always sat in the same area and we were very impressed with the service. The room we stayed in 1724 which was second level, we had to have the air conditioning fixed, the room was very musty smelling, and 1725 was third level, a very clean room, had to get the safe battery replaced but they did that all in a timely manner. The housekeeping staff was fantistic !! The bartenders
were not overly friendly.All in all a good vacation for some rest and relaxation in Varadero Cuba.

• Stayed May 2014
4 Thank LittleMrsSunshine10
Director_Residente, Director Residente at Melia Peninsula Varadero, responded to this review, 16 June 2014
Dear LittleMrsSunshine10;
Thank you very much for all your comments, as always we are taking all your comments in a very positive way and as a tool to improve our guest satisfaction.
We are glad that you liked the room number 1725 in the third level and the housekeeping service.

The most important is that you rated your holiday as good and you got nice rest and relaxation time.

Again thank you for your feedback and you can be sure that we will use it to improve.

Resident Manager

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (484)
  • Hungarian first
  • Polish first
  • Slovak first
  • Turkish first
Hamilton, Canada
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 June 2014

It was my boyfriend and I going away for the first time and as soon as we got there we knew we picked a fabulous resort! The people are so welcoming and friendly we just couldnt believe it. This hotel had it's bad reviews and as a young person I can understand why people who have more experience at different resorts may feel this one is not a 5 star, however you get what you pay for. Cuba was cheap, food was good, beach was amazing, people were overly nice, the only thing that we felt wasn't good (which actually is our fault) is that it's more of a vacation resort for families and married couples. It's an older crowd at this resort which means it's quieter and the night life isn't really happenin'. But this resort is perfect for couples who want a clean and quiet vacation with great food and unlimited drinks!

• Stayed June 2014
5 Thank Samlampkin23
Director_Residente, Director Residente at Melia Peninsula Varadero, responded to this review, 13 June 2014
Dear Samantha L;

Thank you very much for all your comments, we are glad to know that you choose us for your first holidays and we are happier to know that you enjoyed.
I am sure that if you comeback in different season you will feel the party, the age of our guest is depends on the month, we have a disco club open until 2am and sometimes is totally full with young people, but as the hotel is big we have entertainment to all the ages to ensure everyone can choose their style.

I hope you will come back soon and you will enjoy again.

2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 June 2014

My Friend and I have just come back from a holiday at the Melia Penninsula May 2014 and were very disappointed with the quality of the hotel rated 4.5 star by Thomas Cook and 5 star by the hotel, let me list things that were wrong with the supposed 5 star hotel dirty bed covers' no lock on patio doors (when reported told it would be fixed the next day never fixed) stagnant water around the main bar area bearing in mind that denger fever exits in Cuba from June to Nov where mosquitoes breed, many of the plates in the dinning room had large chips out of them, most of the sun beds around the pool had bird droppings on them the pool was very shabby
When we booked we were told there was a adults pool area but couldn't understand why there was so mainly children around the adult pool until we realized the children s pool and play area were closed. The food was of poor quality always cold, no menu for food at the snack bar or menu for cocktails at any of the drinks bars, drinks were of poor quality and on several occasions some types of drinks not available.
If you do visit Melia Penninsula and are expecting 4/5star then this is not the hotel for you

• Stayed May 2014, travelled with friends
5 Thank elaine k
Dear Elaine k;

Firstly I would like to thank you for all your comments and for the feedback, as always we take all the comments in a very positive way and will work to ensure to offer the best to our valued guests.
We are chlorinating the lagoon and changing water every few days, also we have a pest control company working on daily basis with a program to ensure all the pest are well controlled.
We did some maintenance in our kids area, now is already open, we do not offer exclusive adult pool, we have two different areas one area for families and another one for adults, but those areas are not exclusive, usually the families wants to use the family area as we have toboggans, castle, PlayStations, Wii´s, etc… I would like to apologize for any misunderstand and for the problems that you had.
We already fixed the issue with the menu; we have already menus at the snack bar and also cocktail and beverage list at the bar.

I hope to have the chance to be considered again as your holiday destination to show you all the actions that we took and give my thank you to you for all your helpful feedback.

Best regards

Director Residente

Travellers are raving about these Varadero hotels

Burton upon Trent, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 May 2014

This Hotel has had its bad reviews and i was worried after reading them. BUT this hotel is a fantastic resort. the grounds look fantastic , The staff are great , the Food caters for all,yeah it's buffet food but they more than catered for all people.

I had a stress free stay , met great people and would highly recommend this hotel.

The entertainment at night was good.

The Japanese restaurant is a must.

juanito in the buffet restaurant was a top bloke - Cheeeers Mate :)

Room Tip: We stopped in 2733 top room clean , tidy and the Air con was great. mini bar stocked all the time.
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
7 Thank Mark W
Director_Residente, Director Residente at Melia Peninsula Varadero, responded to this review, 29 May 2014
Dear Whitoni;

Thank you so much for your comments; we are very glad that you had a stress free stay in our beautiful and relaxing Resort.

I will pass all your comments to my team and especially to Juanito.

We add more night animation to ensure that everybody have a chance to choose and enjoy the entertainment.

Hopefully you will come back soon and do not forget to inform us before your next visit.

5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 May 2014 via mobile

The resort and the staff were great. We were treated so well. There was a lot of wonderful food, restaurants and a great pool an gorgeous beach. We would go back in a heartbeat. Abel was a great help with any questions we had. This was our first tropical vacation. So memorable.

• Stayed April 2014
6 Thank Kralcewicz
Director_Residente, Director Residente at Melia Peninsula Varadero, responded to this review, 27 May 2014
Dear Kralcewicz;

Thank you very much for all your comments, we are very glad to know that you enjoyed your holidays in our beautiful Resort.
I will pass your comments to Abel, I am sure he is going to be very happy and he will appreciate.

We hope see you very soon and do not forget to inform us before your next visit.

Vancouver, Canada
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 May 2014

Didnt really know what to expect as I had not been to Cuba before. Everything exceeded anything I had heard. A beautiful resort, great people, couldnt ask for anything more! Would definately recommend this resort to anyone!

Room Tip: We lucked out and got a ground floor room, I know if I go back this would be what I would ask for as...
  • Stayed April 2014, travelled with family
Review collected in partnership with this hotel

10 Thank Scraboo
MPV_DirComercial, Director General at Melia Peninsula Varadero, responded to this review, 23 May 2014
Dear Scraboo:

Thank you very much for your refreshing comments! It was a pleasure to read you and to share your joy!

We are very well concentrated on your needs here at Meliá. We know that every guest is different and that is why it is important for us to know your preferences in order to satisfy them. Your satisfaction is the only purpose of our staff. If we have reached it, we did our job. It all comes down to you! We would not be who we are without you!

We appreciate your have recommended us to other travelers, and hope to meet you back soon.

Fabrizio Testoni
Moncton, Canada
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 May 2014

First and for most, this trip was for my 30th birthday and travelling with my mother. She has been in a Varadero resort before, and she even told me, this particular resort was not what she expected. I have major criterias to complain about:

1 Cleanliness: terrible, just awful! I couldn't imagine anything like having to go to our room to go to the bathroom, because any where else. Either, the bathroom stall couldn't close, toilets couldn't flush, lack of toilet tissue and the seat. On top of that, the floors, looked like they hadn't been washed in a week.

2 Food; well all was expected, I am not a fussy eater, but this was just not edible. I could only go at the snack bar by the pool (even at that, it didn't taste right). The buffets everything tasted the same and I give props for the A La Carte restaurants, because they were very delightful.

3 Room: My mother had booked through a travel agency, so we didn't know it was a family resort. That said, as we arrived (at night), we didn't notice that we were put into a section for family with children. I did not enjoy walking the 10-12 minutes to the beach every morning,

Aside the negatives, the beach was okay for walking long distance and the activities were very fun. Had beautiful weather all through the week. Great tours to enjoy in Havana, catamaran tours, and such.

Room Tip: make sure you book your rooms properly, or switch as soon as possible
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank Steffy C
Director_Residente, Director Residente at Melia Peninsula Varadero, responded to this review, 24 May 2014
Dear Steffy C;

Firstly I would like to thank you for your comments as always we are taking all our guests comments to improve our resort and service. We are glad that you liked our beautiful beach and you enjoy the activities, as you perfectly described they are very fun.
After check your booking I am surprise that you didn´t contact with our guest relations to ask for a room change or to make any report of the issues that you comment.
I would like you to consider to coming back again in the near future and please inform us before your next visit and I will take care of your room allocation and I will make sure that you will have a great holidays in our beautiful resort.

Best Regards;