“A few days is perfect”

Ranked #33 of 65 Hotels in Varadero
Vancouver, Canada
“A few days is perfect”
Reviewed 22 July 2014

If you are looking for a few days to chill by the beach and not think about anything, this is a great resort for just that. Beautiful beachfront property, warm turquoise water, and a few pools that are even cooler than the ocean water. The all inclusive is nice, but it's helpful to book your preferred meals in advance of your stay so you aren't disappointed. The cheesy entertainment is worth it, after all your in Cuba! And the buffet, well what can we say, it had fresh squeezed orange juice in the morning, and a good variety at each meal. Our favourite was the Spanish coffees on the veranda. After a few days, one might be ready for more culture, so, consider a four day stay rather than seven if this is you.

• Stayed January 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Il0veSkye
MPV_DirComercial, Director General at Melia Peninsula Varadero, responded to this review, 23 July 2014
Dear Il0veSkye:

Thanks for sharing this fresh review with our travelers. We are pleased to know you have enjoyed your stay at Meliá Península Varadero.

Certainly our beach is really clean and beautiful, many customers like our gardens and big vegetation.

Thanks for appreciating our restaurants and food, as well as others attractions in the resort. Beside the cultural shows and featuring of the Hotel, like our craft market, gallery and ambiance, the visitors can also take a time to see other places in the town or island. I am sure it depends on the expectations and plans people do for their holidays as you said.

I hope to meet you in person next vacations. Looking forward to welcoming you,

Fabrizio Testoni

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (489)
  • Hungarian first
  • Polish first
  • Slovak first
  • Turkish first
United Kingdom
Reviewed 19 July 2014

Our first trip to Cuba.

This was booked through Thomas Cook and was a two centre holiday (3 nights in Havana at the Melia Cohiba and 10 nights at the Melia Peninsula Varadero) - cost was £2550

2 of us travelling, 4th July to the 19th July – Room was 1011 in the Cohiba in Havana and 2853 in Peninsula Varidero.

We had not been to Cuba before so it was virgin territory for us and we were relying on the comments from previous visitors on Trip Advisor and we were getting a bit worried as to what we had booked.

We arrived in Varaderro and were transferred to Havana (2 hour transfer)
Firstly – Melia Cohiba – what a fantastic hotel. It had everything, room was fantastic (state room like with, almost a 360 degree view), Jacuzzi, two tv’s (one showing cable), free safe, iron etc. This was a bed and breakfast option and the food was really good to. Pool area was very good, sunbeds available all throughout the day, area was clean and tidy. Definitely worthy of the 5 starts.
If there's any complaint at all we would have, it would be that its too far out of town but that's not a big problem with all the available taxis. Thank You Cohiba for an enjoyable stay and for running what we would describe as one of the best hotels we have ever visited.

Our next stop was Melia Peninsula Varadero which was a 3 hour transfer from Havana due to all the hotel stops along the way.
We were the last couple to be dropped off by the coach so we had considered we were the only UK visitors on the resort.
Its so true that first impressions last. We were dropped off at reception. The reception area is very clean and set out nicely. We were shuttled to our hotel room after being given an explanation of the services by the helpful reception staff and given a map etc of the resort grounds which was very good.
It was around 5pm when we went for a walk to see what was available after emptying our cases. We went to the bar for a drink. We were shocked to see the main water feature around the “island” bar was a bright green colour with a lot of scum on top, ideal for mosquitoes. That put us off the place straight away. On the trip back to the room we did notice there was a lot of cups / rubbish / plates strewn over the grounds and thought what had we done in booking this hotel.
On reflection to this, due to the time of the day we were dropped off then the facilities had been in use all day so yes you would expect to see some measure of rubbish strewn on the grounds – to put this into perspective, the following day it had been tidied up. Its the visitors that make the mess after all but there should be some measure in keeping areas tidy.

Our Hotel Room - was clean and tidy – what we would expect from a holiday resort room, no issues whatsoever. We later discovered that the patio door did not lock but we had a safe and to be honest we did feel safe being on the second floor. We did not experience any “bugs” although there was a tiny gecko that took up residence that would come out every evening when we were watching tv which for us was no big deal (it just sat on the wall looking at us, looking at it) The mini bar was free and topped up every other day with water / beer and coke or lemonade. Clean towels and linen were available on a daily basis. Thanks to the maids who on a daily basis did a good job in keeping the room tidy. Not an easy job when you are effectively living out of a suitcase for two weeks.

The Beach – was clean and tidy, sea was clear and you could see the bottom and the fish swimming between your feet. Sunbeds and static umbrellas are free but you do need to get there quite early (before 11am to secure one as they are popular) There is a beach bar on the entrance to the area / pedaloes and water sports are available.

The Grounds – Very nice. They could be used more effectively though as there were areas that had nice flowers / buildings but a bit out of the way with no real point to them. Other than the initial comment above, the grounds men done a good job in clearing up after everyone on a daily basis and were at work within the grounds on a daily basis keeping the plants / trees tidy.

The Main Pool Area – We were quite disappointed with this as we felt it let down the overall area. There are good points and bad points but the bad outweigh the good. BAD: There was bird crap on almost all of the sunbeds / there was dirty grime along the waterlines of some of the pools walling / there were approx 7 very loose planks of wood on the bridge across the pool to the pool cafe (2 kids were seen to have tripped over these, ok, one was running but this is a bit of a hazard even so / there were cups all around the pool and in the pool itself – the cause of the cups in the pool were un supervised kids taking them in and throwing them around then leaving them / the white water overflow grids situated around the pool were in some cases missing, broken or ineffective causing a hazard for someone should they stand on them / there was a lack of cleaning the pool floor as there was a lot of sand and “things” rolling around the pool floor. GOOD: There were always sunbeds available what ever the time of the day / The pool bar was good but a lot of the time the tender would be talking to people oblivious there was a queue of people waiting to be served.

The Main Pool Cafe – This serves food and drinks, the food was ok but the cafe area was horrendous – bearing in mind this is a food area, the seats were again covered in bird crap / birds were not controlled within this area and were left to pick food from the tables until the tables were cleaned down by the staff. Food as a result was scattered on the floor, knocked off the tables by the birds, which to be fair didn't last long as the birds had eaten it within minutes. They would land on the table or chair when you were eating and needed to be pestered off. Its not hygienic at all.

The Buffet – People complain about there being no choice ???WHAT???? If you are eating pork / steak / chicken / fish etc from the selection every night then it will seem there's no selection at all – The selection of food at the buffet is very good and if you vary what you have to eat every night then you can have something different each night. The food is good and the chefs work hard in preparing a lot of it fresh while you wait. The only complaint we would have about the buffet is the length of queues at certain times but its not a problem (you will get to know which food station is popular and work round it) Well done chefs...!

The Speciality Restaurants – Best in our opinion was the Japanese but we tried the Italian and the French and they were all good. You will need to book these when you arrive – it will be explained to you by the receptionist when checking in.

The Bars – around the reception / buffet area – As we were in Cuba in July it was very hot so we found it was best to sit outside – the bar maid service extends to outdoors and to be honest the service was very good. It can be hard to find an outdoor seat at times, especially after the buffet restaurant starts to empty. The best bar we found was on the small “Island” bar in the middle of the bridge – the bartender makes the best Pina Coladas we had on the resort – unfortunately he was off shift our last two days so we could not tip him but he was fantastic. Although the bar areas were good we did not feel comfortable AT ALL due to the green scummy water in the moat around the bar – while we were there it was treated twice with a bleach substance but this was not effective – it had been treated a week before we arrived also. We had quite a few mozzie bites and we were sure it was because we were around this area a lot.

Overall – The staff are brilliant and thanks to those that made the stay for us enjoyable. I would certainly not say its a 5 star resort as advertised due to the issues above but if these were resolved then in our experience it would nearly be there.

I have sent suggestions for the above to Sergio Jesús Martínez Villalonga

Room Tip: We stayed in room 2853 and this was close to the pool and the beach but a bit of a trek to the lobby...
11 Thank steve u
MPV_DirComercial, Director General at Melia Peninsula Varadero, responded to this review, 24 July 2014
Dear Steve U:

First of all we appreciate you have taken you time to share these opinions with all the travelers on Tripadvisor.
Cuba, the biggest island in the Caribbean is full of history and heritage, cultural and natural values. From Varadero you may come to know interesting places in Cuban geography, it is for sure a motivating option for travelers.
Specializing in families and tourist groups, Meliá Península Varadero seeks the dreams of friends, people who want good service, quiet fun, relaxing, while tasting of the sea, the breeze, the neighborhood paradise.

That's why, our gardeners work very early every morning, waitresses and maids pursue opportunities to do the best to customers. The small details of everyday are very important if you want to improve services, accompanied by the renovation of the structure Meliá is currently operating in the hotel.
We are very grateful for sharing your opinions with others and your feed-back about our services, which are always welcome as a means of improving the service we offer.
Your remarks were discussed with the heads of each Department involved to guarantee that our guest’s wishes and requests are fulfilled efficiently.
Thanks for recommending our a la cart restaurants. Every client can arrange a romantic dinner or a family occasion to share happiness, good news, being join once again on holidays.

Due to the improvement program that will take place for the next high season 2014‐2015, the main pool will be renovated and we will continue rooms updating.
Meliá has been training our staff to get good practices on food and beverage procedures, assuring high levels of Health and Safety. We were under de ISO 9001 norms. Anyhow, we will consider your advice to enforce services during pick times where many customers go to the Buffet and bars.
Our renovation program is reaching all the areas in the resort, and you found a new lobby and lobby bar, the French and Japanese Restaurants. We are refreshing more than 300 rooms with new fabrics, paint, TV flat screen and decoration.

I hope you have spent in general good holidays in this beautiful resort and consider a second chance to value our services.
Hopping to meet you in the next time…
Cordial greetings.

canada
Reviewed 16 July 2014

This was our second visit to this hotel with the first being back in 2005. This time my husband and I travelled with our children ages 6, 4 and 1. The Family suite gave us plenty of room and was very clean. The grounds and the beach are beautiful. We were pleased with the buffet and many people complain about its redundancy but if you don’t eat the same thing every day there is plenty of variety. We were very impressed with the children’s area including pool, playground, clubhouse and snack bar. The clown show, live animal show and children’s costume party and dinner were a nice touch. My children really enjoyed the mini club and the women that work there are really amazing. The music in the lobby after dinner was beautiful and we really enjoyed spending time there in the evening. Overall, it was a great value and we would defiantly recommend this resort to families with young children.

3 Thank travelfamilyCanada
director_general_mpv, General Manager at Melia Peninsula Varadero, responded to this review, 19 July 2014
Dear travelfamilyCanada,

A warm thank you for your lovely comments concerning your recent holidays at the Meliá PeninsulaVaradero. I am really glad to see that you were pleased with the our buffet’s restaurant and impressed with the children’s area including pool. I am really happy to know that your children loved the mini club and the fantastic staff that works there are. Our main purpose is to be one of the best families resort in Varadero and we work hard to achieve this goal.

Director General
Tromso, Norway
Reviewed 14 July 2014

We really enjoyed this Hotel. Great buffet, very nice Staff, and top entertaiment by the pool & the Beach with a very including DJ, that made the hours in the sun pass very Quickly. We went to the hotell after visiting Havanna and Trinidad, and knew that this would be "Cuba-light".

1 Thank colasolo
MPV_DirComercial, Director General at Melia Peninsula Varadero, responded to this review, 16 July 2014
Dear Colasolo:

We appreciate you have taken you time sharing this opinions with all the travelers.
Meliá Península Varadero has its commitment to the quality and good services, and as you have said, we are focused on a good buffet, nice Staff and top entertaiment, including beautiful spaces and landscapes to relax. Lots of customers stay longer in the resort just to enjoy the all inclusive formula at the Caribbean weather down the palm trees.

Hope to meet you back next vacations,

Toronto
Reviewed 12 July 2014

I just got back from melia peninsula , it was my first trip with my boyfriend we were looking for something fun and interesting . I have to say I had the time of my life couldn't ask for nothing better . Waking up every morning to a paradise like that , now I had a little problem there and that seem to bother my boyfriend a lot because I took me there as a surprise and he was looking for to make it right . My problem was with one of there staff member I have to say she has no qualities of working there she clearly didn't like me (have no idea why ) Everytime I will go to the main lobby bar she will call the other staffs attention to look at me and pass comments either on my shoes , sandals dress etc I pretend it I didn't understand the language but I happen to know Spanish very well :( only on my last day I made sure she knew that all the time I was there I heard her comments her name is Jennifer and she works I think the 2:30 pm shift she never smile our never happy with no one and if we ask her for a drink she will sometimes say no because she was cleaning to ask the other staff so by the second day we stop asking her . Now I have to mention someone who was the reason why we will go to the lobby bar and go for the night entertainment his name is Rafael he starts at 6:30 pm he is amazing me and my boyfriend will go just because he was there because we felt like we were treated nice,another one from the morning is isamary she is wonderful I even took her contact so we remain friends . After all everything was great and we will most definitely come back to this resort (already planning our next trip there) . Another thing I will like to mention is that one of the intervening staff there seem to be very intimate with two girls who were on vacation there the reason why I am saying this was because it looks very bad on the resort looks it gives me and my boyfriend a very uncomfortable feeling that something was going on between him and the guests of the hotel . Everytime he was suppose to be doing his job he was busy with them , just looks bad . But other then this it's was great .

Cristina , Toronto

• Stayed July 2014
2 Thank Cristinamic
MPV_DirComercial, Director General at Melia Peninsula Varadero, responded to this review, 19 July 2014
Dear Crstinamic:

Thanks for taking your time to share your comment with us and all the travelers.
Meliá Península is committed to the quality and we have trained our staff to give the best service as possible. Fortunately, we have many valued people that make strong relations with our customers and make them feel good in our resort. We appreciate you have met some of them.

Nevertheless, someone else behavior did not make you feel comfortable. For that reason, the food and beverage manager has taking measures about the incidence to make sure this will not happen in the future. Anyhow, if you had more details, we will appreciate that you mail us directly.

I see you and your boyfriend enjoyed our services in general, so it would be our pleasure to welcome you next holidays.

Hoping to meet you then,

Cambridge, Ontario, Canada
Reviewed 5 July 2014 via mobile

Let me start by saying that this is our 13th time in Cuba and 2nd time in Varadero. I will try and be as objective as possible. We travelled with two 15-year old boys.

Our experience began with an email I sent to the hotel from their melia hotels website to which I never got a response. Check in was slow. No overview of where things were or how to get to our room. Normally you are greeted with a tropical drink which eventually arrived but not enough for everyone. They kept our passports overnight which I was not happy about ... It is a safety/security issue which they should find a way around. They tried to give our teens adult bracelets which annoyed me. No big deal anyway as the whole stay, they were being given alcoholic drinks anyway, even after asking for no alcohol.

The rooms were very plain and run down but everything worked well. Our "adjoining" rooms were on different floors. Our adult room had two "double" beds that even when we pushed together, the maid kept putting them apart. We slept in separate beds the whole week. We have stayed at other places that also had the two beds but they would bring them together and make them as one bed... Not at this place, even though we did ask for a king bed when we booked. Building 25 is excellent. Right by the adult pool and as close to the beach as you can get. A little further to walk to the buffet though but we liked the exercise.

The grounds were beautiful and well maintained. Also, the trees were quite mature. One of the nicer grounds we have experienced except for the stagnant or dried up water features. The green algae was disgusting, they tried to put chlorine pucks in but it just created small clean spots. The bridged made of wood were in need of repair and they closed the major one leading to the buffet stating it was under renovation but nobody ever worked on it while we were there.

They apparently have 4 a la cartes but you can only use two. We chose well > Japanese was a great interactive experience and Jose was wonderful. Italian was ok .... It was the same food you could get from the buffet except for the tiramisu which was good and the appetizers. They really don't book a lot of times and dates so it is hard to get your two bookings... Do it as soon as you arrive. I feel that their eating hours are way off. Lunch opens at 12:30 at the grill and at 1 at the buffet. Yes, you have the 24 hour snack bar but it is ham/cheese sandwiches, burgers (which are way undercooked) hot dogs and pizza, all of which was ok. Yoyo was the best server ever. Friendly, attentive and just awesome. The food was some of the best we have had in Cuba although, yes they keep it out in the heat at the grill but it is on cooling plates. At the main buffet, there are grilling sections for meat and for fish as well as either a pasta or stir fry section. Food on the warming plates were repetitive but fairly good. Breakfast is always a favourite of ours. Hard to tell what some stuff was. The yogurt had a milk consistency. The juice bar waters down most of the drinks... The banana one was by far the best. Great ice cream but rarely cold enough.

Most of the serving staff at bars seem very unfriendly. It was perhaps the least friendly place we have been to. Not a lot of gratitude for tips which just meant we stopped tipping.

Everyone assumes we speak Spanish but we don't. On the other hand, I understand enough to know when I was being bad mouthed for not tipping (one of the men that would get your beach chair for you). Classy. Carlitos would get my beach chair (he is one of the two) but he was always nice and pleasant so I always tipped him. Always lots of shade at the beach and even though we would get there at 9 am, there was always seating. The water is by far the best feature here. So clean and warm that we rarely bothered with the pool which was much louder but also always clean. Shade is harder to come by at the pool.

After 6 pm, there is little to do. They close down the activities so you can't play pool or anything which is tough with teen boys. We did at really take in the entertainment...after 13 trips, it is essentially the same. We did enjoy the music at night at the reception area.

A couple of other miscellaneous things: the hours of opening bars or buffets were rarely on time. The one bar that opens at 4 coiled not serve anyone til 4:40 when he was finally set it. Buffets rarely opened on time. The internet was affordable at 4.50 cuc per hour and worked well although their keyboard is slightly different so I had to keep asking where certain symbols were. Our fridge was always restocked and we never had towel art. We did a late check out which was again affordable at 7 cuc per hour but of course, as always, they could not read my card so cash it was.

You could almost always get a paddle boat or such and they were quite lax about asking for room number. Same with beach towels.

Well, I think that covers most important topics. If you want to know more, feel free to email me.

Stayed July 2014, travelled with family
4 Thank GuidaW
MPV_DirComercial, Director General at Melia Peninsula Varadero, responded to this review, 8 July 2014
Dear Guida W.:

We appreciate you have taken your time to share this review with the travelers. You have truly evaluated every point. And I realize you have enjoyed your stay in general, some topics as food, rooms, beverage, beach, entertainment and the staff, have reached in part your expectation. Now, I feel you had contras that made you rate lower.

I apologize for no answering your mail, maybe there was a communication failure.
The hotel has many arrivals from Canada, but check in procedure normally does not take longer than 30 minutes. Also the bartenders come to assist with welcome cocktail any time of the day. We appreciate your comment about this topic. It makes us check it up with the food and beverage team. The staff is instructed in giving just non-alcoholics to teens and we will take measures if you let us know who or where did they were given alcoholic beverages.

As we have more twin than king size beds, people can request to the maid or front desk if they want to put their beds together. Anyone can report it at their arrival. However, we are buying new king size beds to satisfy this request.

Certainly some minor works have been done as painting the buffet bridge, recently reopened, and cleaning main water mirror. Unfortunately, these improvements are not finished but coming travelers will enjoy the beautiful sights within the garden, terraces and palapas. They should be ended this week.

Your opinion about our staff is important as this is one of the biggest assets of Meliá Península Varadero. Completely agreed with mentioning YOYO! He is a truly special employee.
You can count on us when deciding to come over… maybe next holidays, and please, let us know when you book, as we can take note of your request. Feel free to write directly to director.general.mpv@meliacuba.com or to our Sales manager, jefe.ventas.mpv@meliacuba.com

Best regards,

Istanbul, Turkey
Reviewed 2 July 2014

İt was our first time in Cuba and travelling as a family we could not have picked a betterhotel. Our room was on the 2nd floor, we found it very quiet and a clean comfortable room. Front desk staff was professional and helpful, check in was fast and bellboy service quick. The a la carte restaurants were excellent our favourites were the Oriental and French, although we did try all of them. There was a good variety of choices for buffet breakfast and lunch - more than enough for a picky eater like me anyway. Although repetitive as all buffets are, the taste of the food was good. I was in a different country and I was not looking for gourmet meals.The beach is beautiful and well maintained and cleans, in spite of some guests not usingthe garbage cans to dispose of their litter and you will have no problem finding a palapa and beach chair. The beach bar is small but was adequately manned and we did not wait long for our drinks. At the end we had a good time.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled with family
4 Thank Burhan F
Director_Residente, Director Residente at Melia Peninsula Varadero, responded to this review, 3 July 2014
Dear Burhan F;

Thank you very much for all your comments; we are glad that you enjoyed your holidays in our Resort. As you explain we have an small bar in our beach open every day to ensure that our guests don’t need to walk long for a drinks.

We hope see you again soon and do not forget to inform us before your next visit to prepare everything for you.

Best regards;