“Enjoyed myself”

Ranked #22 of 64 Hotels in Varadero
Oakville, Ontario
“Enjoyed myself”
Reviewed 18 March 2014

I stayed at the Villa Cuba resort during the March Break. The property was filled to capacity. On the first night, we were put into a room in one of the villas. The room was tiny and barely was able to accomodate the king size bed. We had requested two beds so in the morning we went to 'check-in" and requested to be switched. By noon the next day we had been moved to the main building in a room that overlooked the pool. It was interested to discover that there is no charge to be upgraded to a superior room once you're there. The lady at the desk said that it is the tour operator who decides how much we will be charged for a room. The hotel sells the rooms to the tour operator for the same amount no matter what kind of view they have. Interested. Our new room.... Lovely accomodations but very loud. I would advise you to stay at the back of the main part of the hotel. It is much quieter.
There was a group of 100 to 150 students on an trip with a company called S Trip. . They were great during the day but we found that some of them would run up and down at the halls , yelling, at 2, 3 and 4 a.m. Many people complained to management and management did speak to the counsellors who were in charge of this group. There was a bit of improvement but the yelling and screaming in the middle of the night continued. I don't think I got a full night's sleep during the entire week. This is more the fault of the S Trip counsellors. I have already emailed S Trip voicing my concerns.

I enjoyed the food. I know that Cuba is not known for their cuisine but I was happy with the fresh fish that was offered each day. There was also a pasta station, a variety of salads and other meat dishes. Plenty of fresh fruit on hand every day. Loved the guava.
You are able to walk into town easily. Didn't bother taking the double decker bus. It was fun to ride in a vintage 1957 Pontiac taxi. These old cars are pre-revolution. Very cool. Take advantage of the guided trip to Havana. Havana is an amazing city. I wish I'd been able to stay for a few days.
Remember to bring your adapters . The plugs are different than the ones in North America. Two round prongs rather that flat ones.
On the whole, the staff were very pleasant and helpful. The Hola Sun rep was not the friendliest person. I heard many complaints about her during my week at the hotel. I understand that it must be a stressful job to manage large groups of tourists but she needs to work on her 'poker face". It was very apparent that she was annoyed with most people with whom she was dealing.
All in all, it was nice to get away from the winter. I am not sure if I would return to that hotel because of the fact that they allowed such a large group of students.

Room Tip: Choose a room in the main building that is far away from the pool. The pool area can be loud especia...
  • Stayed March 2014, travelled with friends
2 Thank palmtree1958

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (293)
  • Czech first
  • Hungarian first
  • Polish first
  • Slovak first
  • Turkish first
Waterloo, Canada
Reviewed 14 March 2014

We visited Villa Cuba 2 weeks ago and had a wonderful time. Yes, the facilities need a little TLC but they have great staff that works hard to ensure you enjoy your vacation. Our room was clean and spacious, overlooked the pool and we did not find the noise to be any different that if you live in any city in Canada.

Varadero is beautiful and we enjoyed every minute we could at the beach, it’s beyond me why people travel that far to sit in a pool or a bar all day long. There is a restaurant right next to the beach so you don’t even have to change to go for lunch!

About the food, except for one meal, we always dined in the main restaurant. They had good variety and we enjoyed whatever they were making on the grill. A lot of it was typical Cuban food, so if you don’t like Cuban food or anything beyond mashed potatoes and pasta you may want to choose another resort, go out for dinner or stay in Canada.

I encourage you to explore the town; you can take one of the old American taxis for about 1 CUC per person but it is about 15 – 20 minutes’ walk on the beach. There are plenty of restaurants, shops and small souvenir markets to choose from on the main street. There is a bank on one of streets beside the hotel (open on bankers hours) and credit cards from Canadian banks work fine in the ATMs downtown but they put a limit on how much money you can withdraw.

I also recommend the bar on the 9th floor – ask for a Pina Colada and you will not regret it!

Yes, we tipped pretty much everyone (1 CUC), but we experience nothing but good service everywhere in the resort.

If you have mobility limitations this resort may not be for you; although you may be able to stay on one of the villas, there are stairs everywhere in the main building and the elevators don’t always work.

If I had one complain, it would be about some fellow Canadians that behaved like drunken sailors, literally, drunk and loud.

It was excellent value for the money we paid; remember you don’t get Tiffany’s when you pay Walmart.

• Stayed February 2014, travelled as a couple
4 Thank CWaterloo
Minden, Canada
Reviewed 8 March 2014

We just arrived home from a week stay at Villa Cuba with a group of eight friends (3 couples, 2 singles, 5 rooms). All but one of us had to move rooms. Our first rooms were either covered in mold, occupied by other guests, or a run down broom closet they attempted to make a room out of in a villa! So after waiting hours for our rooms to be ready we started our vacation lugging suitcases from room to room. We all did end up in decent rooms in the main resort.
The food in the buffet was always very cold and the line ups for the cook stations took forever. Only one couple in our group got to experience one of the a la cartes (international) after standing in line for reservations one morning to find out she could not book all of us and could only book one restaurant a day (like an hr long line up). They did say it was good. The snack bars only serve ham (spam) and cheese, ham, or cheese sandwiches or horrible burgers or hot dog. This is the first vacation that I have eaten off resort so much and thank god one of us packed peanut butter and Mr. Noodles because toast and peanut butter was my breakfast every day and Mr. Noodles for lunch. A bonus to this, we found some amazing restaurants in town!
Ladies you better work up your thigh muscles before staying here, there isn't a toilet seat to be found in any of their publics washrooms (lobby, pool).
The entertainment was very lacking. Usually there activities running daily at the pool or beach and although they said they were, bingo around the pool every afternoon doesn't really cut it. No music either. Nightly entertainment was not great and the disco was usually empty.
It was a distance from the beach to the snacks, bar and washrooms, definitely not on the beach.
There is no 24hr snack as advertised.
The staff were very friendly and they had great security!
Location was great, easy access to restaurants, shopping and bars.
Overall, we were in a beautiful country with 8 great friends and made it a great time however I would not recommend this resort to anyone!

Room Tip: 2nd floor or up in the main resort. Do not stay on main floor or in villa!
  • Stayed March 2014, travelled with friends
2 Thank Fitzy42014

Travellers are raving about these Varadero hotels

Toronto, Canada
Reviewed 3 March 2014

I am 23 and i travelled alone and I stayed at hotel Villa Cuba during my reading week feb 14-22 for meditation and exploring and inspiration and it was AMAZINGGGGG!!!i got everything i wanted out of the trip and more..... i honestly do not comprehend all the negative reviews:S what is there to complain about from the service i got and the experience..these reviews seem very extensive at pointing out any small negative thing but to each their own totally understandable but honestly its like when ppl psych you up on how painful your tattoo is going to be or that needle shot for flu and you realize OMG you freaked me out for no reason and i do not have low expectations at all and this hotel exceeded all my expectations...

i already wrote a review with red tag but seeing how most ppl come to this site..as i did before my trip here it goes....

i can't even put in words everything was awesome i first stayed in a room at the villa closer to the beach which was super cool because it is so close to the pool and beach you know what that means pool bar and beach bar and the bartenders there were great...the pool bar stays open late and they serve snacks around the corner if you do not eat pork (hot dogs) or burgers you could just ask for a cheese sandwich the washroom was clean and had toilette paper every time i went there
...then i moved my room at the hotel 1512 (because i have a flat iron and the room in the hotel have 220v plugs) and the room was beautifulllll with amazing view of the castle- tower/ restuarant and beach/lake behind it, flat screen Tv, Ac and the washroom was huge it was awesome it had one of those big round shower heads:) i loved the colours of the room had water and pop and beer and rum in the mini fridge (comes with the package) :).....

....all the staff are super helpful and soo nice from front desk the dude that helped me was super nice escorted me to the room to see if i like it first when i was moving rooms and got me the best room; the dudes at the door(i don't know what you call them) were super helpful and friendly told me how to get around town always smiling so nice and every one was so friendly through out the entire time....the bar on the ninth floor is wickkeddd all round gorgeous view, nice comfy lounging couches are beautiful....there is also a lobby bar with balcony overlooking the pool which is awesome you can catch the show from the balcony or go downstairs to the pool bar...after a hangover you can rely on the cafe at the lobby to whip you up yummy tea & or coffee if thats your thing
....the set up of the building is awesome i loved how from every angle you are surrounded by beautiful scenery...and its a huge establishment compared to the other hotels with all its villas and the hotel buildings which was all well kept and clean
....the buffet restaurant was awesome they served fresh everything i had the fresh fish and fresh pasta cooked for you with your own toppings and for breakfast i got crepe with pineapples and chocolate and omg the la mariposa restaurant with the lobster dinner- to die for ...my dish was so gorgeous and yummy with shrimp and rice and lobster and salad and potatoes omg food orgasm literally all the food is great they had a cuban day bbq at the beach so much food all so good and fresh .....

....and cuba.... i cant even... i am in love with cuba booked a trip with havanatour for the jeep safari includes a boat ride and horse back riding p.s. you need to know how to drive stick:) or bump a ride with someone:) and colonial havana amazing old architecture, the tour guides are awesome and every one is super friendly and amazing( tip: if your like me and love wondering around the tour guides have strict schedule so you may find it limiting come back another day rent a car or taxi and stay over night to soak it all in:) )

....this was an overall great trip its definitely a 5 star hotel the nightly entertainment was awesome had a concert one night (they did spanish version of gangnam style lol! but they were sikkk ..did a rap number too i loved it ) and international dance they are so talented...you get a free show every night by amazing dancers who are skilled at varied dance genres..... :S no complaints

Tips: definitely come to this hotel the beach is just indescribable with the white beautiful sand and oh p.s. they have at night security (didn't even need my flash light:D:D) and awesome customer service and definitely get a massage located by the gym the lady is soo nice and you will feel amazing...bring extra cash for tips they all deserve it and ...sunblock:D and mosquito repellent although i hardly got bitten... probably once...you can walk downtown from this hotel and the beach is amazing...and definitely check out all the art work at downtown varadero and the market at havana AMAZING art by amazing artist ..their all so humble amazing key word amazing did i already say it ...amazing :D:D

Definitely would visit again solo or with friends

Room Tip: what ever is your fancy>> ....closer to the beach get a villa need a plug in and upgraded ro...
  • Stayed February 2014, travelled solo
7 Thank wolf l
Edmonton, Canada
Reviewed 2 March 2014

I was upgraded to this hotel from the disaster that is club kawama(under renovations) This resort was rated as a 4 star but it was better than the 5 star Memories on Santa Clara I was at a year before. Food was good and varied for cuba, entertainment was sometimes disappointing. Disco was usually empty and from talking with some of the female guest this was due to the male staff of the disco hitting on them as they came into the disco. Very interesting layout of the building, open lobby with bar on its own level and coffee bar on main floor, money could be exchanged at front desk if needed but I found you got a better rate at the airport, they like tips here and even though it is an all inclusive you end up giving a lot of tips but there did not seem to be a degredation in service (like memories) if you did not always tip. Almost no sandflies here in comparison to santa clara. Close enough to town to walk into or take bus for 5 dollars for a return trip, I would suggest catching the bus going away from town to see the rest of the hotels on the strip and ride it all the way back to the far end of town get off and walk thru town, stop and eat buy whatever you want then catch the bus headed back to your hotel. You will get a receipt when you get on the bus, keep it and if you decide to take a second trip into town you can.. Many vendors offer exactly the same stuff so if you miss it at one place you will find it at 20 others. Postal service is bad, I sent a post card and it arrived almost 3 months later(not kidding, I even dropped it off at the post office near the hotel) Excellent long beach of fine white sand but watchout for broken glass, I picked up about 20 good size pieces in the week and a half I was here. The bottom level where the pool is, is a little gloomy in some areas and quite often wet, elevator did not usually work on this level when I was there. Not many singles here, if anyone could suggest a resort anywhere mexico/cuba/costa rica where I could find single gals I would appreciate it, travelling single sucks. but Keep travelling :) Oops, don't forget sandels there are burrs on the way to the beach and they are a pain, literally.

Room Tip: I think if you could get a room overlooking the pool you would be good although the others are good...
  • Stayed December 2013, travelled solo
2 Thank c k
Toronto, Canada
Reviewed 27 February 2014

There were four of us on this trip to Villa Cuba, 2 ladies per room. We arrived late Saturday night Feb 8, 2014 to heavy rainfall. Checking in we were told that the rooms we requested were not available and were put in villas and single beds not available. We walked out to our rooms behind the bellboy pushing our luggage in the pouring rain--totally soaked by the time we got to the 2 separate villas.

Ours had a very musty smell and the bathroom needed a serious makeover (bath tub chipped) and an old pedestal sink. No place to put anything.

That night we slept in our king bed together talking about our new room that we would be in the next morning. We went to the main desk and no room available yet, please come later. At this point we had not unpacked and we noticed black large spots on the ceiling. We met the other 2 ladies and compared notes. They had shutters on their windows with no glass and had visitors, ants.

We tried later on to see if a room had come up for us and there was a gentleman complaining that he and his wife were not happy with 2 single beds, they needed 1 larger bed. We spoke to our rep and decided to switch rooms, they in the villa outside the main building and us in the main building. At first glance our room was much nicer, brighter, cleaner so we stayed that night in our new room. The next day after speaking to numerous guests that were complaining, we found out that the black stuff we saw in our original room was in our bathroom also behind the suspended ceiling that was put up. Other rooms with this problem were being painted over not corrected. My friend and I went to see our rep to complain and our other 2 friends were up at the main desk, one of them crying. I thought at first it was a family problem that she had just received, but no. They had spent 2 nights in the villa, one of them had developed a bad cough, the shutters in the villa were laiden with dust, they tried to close the drapes which completely fell apart to the floor. The 4 of us approached our rep and she asked if we wanted to transfer hotels. We were give 3 to go to and check out, which we did on a bus at our expense and time. We packed what little we had unpacked and took taxis to the new hotel. This was our first full day of holidays. Our friend with the cough could not get any medical help at Villa Cuba, so she continued on to a pharmacy and doctor on the bus. She was given antibiotics and a antihistamine and the doctor wanted to know what hotel she was staying at. She spent the entire holiday coughing which created sore ribs. Her room mate also started the same symptoms but not as severe. We had a very rough start at Villa Cuba and hope by this report will save you all from what we and others went through.

Room Tip: Avoid this resort
  • Stayed February 2014, travelled with friends
5 Thank carrie p
Victoria, Canada
Reviewed 25 February 2014

This is my second trip to Varadero in less than a year, yes I love Cuba! We stayed in room 1306 from January 20-28th 2014. My first trip I stayed at Kawama, Hotel Villa Cuba is a much nicer resort by far. Some picky travellers just shouldn't come to Cuba by the look of the posts. Room was fine, yes the entertainment can be loud from the room. But who comes to Cuba to stay in a hotel room?? The beach is wonderful, food is good. I wouldn't waste much time on making reservations for the a la cartes, not worth the wait. If you want a good room tip the desk clerk $10 cuc off the hop, be polite, some gifts like nylons, nail polish, tampons and you will be treated like gold. Bring gifts for the cleaning staff too. I would most definitely stay in this resort again. However it is not a 10 minute walk to downtown Varadero, more like probably an hour. You can get a bus pass for $5 cuc which will last you for the day or about $8 cuc for a quick cab ride into town.

Room Tip: Corner suites are lovely, like I say treat the staff well and the will bend over backwards for you...
  • Stayed January 2014, travelled with friends