“Tired hotel but still great!”

Be Live Experience Varadero
Ranked #24 of 63 Hotels in Varadero
Collingwood, Canada
“Tired hotel but still great!”
Reviewed 23 June 2014

I typically only go to 5 star resorts with my husband but for a last minute trip booked this resort with my sister for a week away.First the positives the staff was amazing, food surprisingly good, drinks good as well. The pools and setting was beautiful enjoyed the music and entertainment. The hotel itself was a little tired but with a little bit of money it could really be something! Lots of character we fed the cats which the hotel thankfully were very tolerant unlike some resorts which poison them. The Divi in Aruba 10 years ago would but poison out for the birds and dogs because some guests complained. Overall a solid 7 out of 10 for the money good value. I think the owners should get a new manager because the staff at the bars and coffee bar were selling bottle of booze "under the table to guests" . The Hotel is losing alot of money by this which could go into sprucing up the rooms. Management is a little too lax in my opinion. Actually never saw a manger during my week visit.

Room Tip: Take a taxi to the hotel from the airport only $36 peso beat the rush and ask for a villa
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled with friends
4 Thank Travelling_fugitives

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (294)
  • Czech first
  • Hungarian first
  • Polish first
  • Slovak first
  • Turkish first
Hamilton, Canada
Reviewed 21 June 2014

Arrive at 10.15 p.m. Assigned to Room 1208. Unpack and shower in tepid water. Shower guard broken. Bathroom flooded. T.V. broken. To late to change. Next day cannot change room as ALL are in the same condition ! Find A/C/Vacation rep and get new room. 2502. Nice room with broken a/c fan and T.V. that can be turned on but not off - must unplug from wall. Chipped bath. Will send mechanic. Next day six hour power failure. T.V. and Fan repaired on third day. Elevators broke down every day, most had no lights to indicate if they were working and from the 5th floor there were 60 to 70 stairs up and down. To an 84 year old this was not good news. On the last day we checked out the room at noon and planned to change to going home attire just prior to our departure at 5.30. To change I tried three mens washrooms but all were closed,then the pool bar washroom where the drains were clogged with water on the floor and stinking, I eventually changed behind a chesterfield in the lobby. If you like all this, then this is the place to go. Personally I do not know why Air Canada and Air Canada Vacation even associate with them. Staff were usually obliging but said they could do nothing to help ! Disgusted. Burlington.

Room Tip: Go to another hotel
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
10 Thank 822disgusted

Travellers are raving about these Varadero hotels

Hamilton, Canada
Reviewed 16 June 2014

Dzemal K.
" Worst vacation ever, WILL NEVER RETURN''

Stayed there with my friends from June 7-June 14/2014.. WORST EXPERIENCE EVER..
I have had cockroaches and lizards in my room, my friend who has a 2-year old daughter had lizards and a snake in closet. Food was gross. Always repetitive never different. Entertainers spoke Spanish all the time, did not talk English, if they did it was only show is starting and that's it. When I ordered a drink from waiter/waitress it would be about 10-15 min wait which is only about 10-15 feet walk to refill station. Just as I picked up cake and was to eat it, when I sliced in half, found ants crawling in it. Staff is horrible, my friends and I waited outside the hotel for 15 min for last Varadero Tour bus of the day to get on, just as bus arrived, receptionist decides to call us back in and ask if we ordered flowers, apparently it was a woman who received flowers and she had same shirt as my wife, but wrong room number, she did not apologize, only security at door apologized, so we missed bus, did not go for Varadero tour. Apparently they had kid entertainment, that was completely wrong advertisement. Any drink I ordered, I never received correct one, different bartender different drink, only correct drink they can serve is BEER, because it comes from tap and no work required. As my friend and I are waiting to order drinks, 2 bartenders are standing and watching baseball game, totally oblivious to us waiting, until I came in to their viewing area that's when they noticed me. My friend's A/C was making such a loud noise, I was able to hear it next door, apparently they came and fixed it, as soon as they left, noise came back, they just cleaned the filter nothing was fixed. I have asked 3 times to fix my phone so I can get a wake-up call on the day that I am leaving, NOBODY ever came or fixed my phone, if it wasn't for my friend who brought his alarm by mistake, we would be late for our bus to airport. Also, there was a hooker present at our hotel, she came with her pimp and he was offering her to everybody, Cohiba band member (young male singer maybe early 20's) actually paid for her, flashed him and her with money and off the HAPPY couple went.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
8 Thank Dzemal
Saskatoon, Canada
Reviewed 9 June 2014

We were in Villa Cuba the winter of February 2012 and thought it was just great. The food was good, the service awesome and the room couldn't be beat.
The following year we went to another resort, Kawama and it was pretty good, but not nearly as good as Villa Cuba.
This year in February 2104, we stayed at the Breezes, a four star. Room was divine, but the food was just terrible. For supper I would only eat soup as that was what was best, and even then, there were a couple of times that the soup was bad. We would never go back there again. We plan to go back to Villa Cuba as we found it to be a little slice of heaven. But, we need a villa to stay in to make it perfect.

Room Tip: If you like to party then a room facing the disco is good, but for R&R, stay further away.
  • Stayed February 2014, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Dee S
Ailin S, Director Comercial at Be Live Experience Varadero, responded to this review, 10 June 2014
Thank you for your comments, we hope to have you back in our Hotel in your next vacations, don't hesitate to contact us for any request you have, for sure we will make your stay here be like in family.

Have a great day
Langley, Canada
Reviewed 6 June 2014

We stayed 2 weeks April 11 - 25.
We keep coming to this hotel because it feels like you're welcomed and appreciated by the management and staff. This is an older hotel that has many good points and some bad, but overall if you keep an open mind and realize where you are visiting this hotel gives you everything you need and then some. If you are a repeat customer they recognize that fact and the little extras you might get for that can make you realize that they really care about your time with them. We have many memories of our times at Villa Cuba and the more we see of the country, Cuba has a lot of diverse people and places. We will continue to visit Villa Cuba in the future and look forward to exploring more. Thank you management and great staff for making our stay so enjoyable.

Room Tip: Garden view rooms overlook the front of the building. We found these rooms much quieter compared to...
  • Stayed April 2014, travelled with family
6 Thank Robert F
Reviewed 6 June 2014 via mobile

I just got back from this hotel. The staff are very helpful especially the bell boys and the receptionists. The bar at the mirador is the best. You will taste authentic pina colada. The pool bar needs improvement. The drinks vary on the bartender. They all make the drinks different. Pool bar is just slush drinks with tons of alcohol in it. I dont like the fact that the cups were small and plastic. Wish the Mirador bar was opened all day but unfortunately they open at 7pm and close at 1am. The buffet was ok. Very repetative though. The rice and fish were really good though. I would recommend that they keep their food in proper temperature though. I would also recommend that they cover their desserts. I saw ants crawling in Some of the desserts which was not very appetizing. Go eat the food as soon as they open because the food is fresh and stocked. Bamboo was the best especially the soups. My room was always clean after lunch. Beach is beautiful and there is so much space. Shows are great and so much fun. The nightclub is ok is you dont mind waiting until 1am to party with 10 ppl. Not alot of ppl go to it which is such a shame. Maybe if the entertaiment staff promoted the nightclub more or add activities I the nightclub people will end up going. Havana club was the best. And go to cave nightclub on mondays because ders no one there During the rest of the week. Catamaran was amazing and not expensive for everything that it includes.

Stayed June 2014, travelled with friends
4 Thank Gloany V
Newcastle, Canada
Reviewed 4 June 2014

Spent out 25th anniversary at Villa Cuba and had a blast! It is an older hotel with a ton of character. The room was nice (typical Cuban décor) and very clean. Our room was above the stage for the shows so we watched from above! With 3 pools it was never too crowded. The beach was lovely and clean. The Bamboo a la carte is the best! The buffet was good as well...fresh squeezed OJ in the morning, YUM. The staff are amazing and fun and desperately tried to teach me Spanish! Don't pass up the chance to go to the "look out bar", the pina coladas and mojitos are the best! And at 5 cuc you can safely catch the bus and ride all day. There are many markets and patios to enjoy; or just take the bus in a complete route to see the entire peninsula.

• Stayed February 2014, travelled as a couple
8 Thank vodkanockers
Ailin S, Director Comercial at Be Live Experience Varadero, responded to this review, 5 June 2014
Thanks for all your good comments about our hotel, we hope have the pleasure to receive you once more time in our hotel.