“faire place, You got what you paid for - Need some renovation” 3 of 5 bubbles
Review of Be Live Experience Varadero

Be Live Experience Varadero
Ranked #21 of 63 Hotels in Varadero
Laval, Canada
“faire place, You got what you paid for - Need some renovation”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 August 2014

I was in the hotel section.

The room was clean, no bugs or lizard. The bathroom need somes renovation. The door was hard to close. But this is cuba.

The beach worth it. Beautiful water and sand. Very close to varadero.

The food was ok. Lot's of thing I wouldn't have eating, but you can always find something to eat. We were not sick. Drink a lot of water and ice from restaurant and bar. Didn't drink from the faucet in the room.

Remember again, this a a 3 star hotel in Cuba.

The hotel should invest and make some renovation.

Room Tip: Go to the Hotel, not the villa. Make sure to be on the otherside of the pool. evening show eve...
  • Stayed August 2014, travelled as a couple
5 Thank Eric L

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (281)
  • Czech first
  • Hungarian first
  • Polish first
  • Slovak first
  • Turkish first
Lower Sackville, Canada
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 August 2014

First off, I LOVE Cuba! I have visited many times to various resorts, stars, and cities. I travel with a very open mind, solo or with friends, so I don't get easily bothered by some of the small stuff that others complain about. Cubans are amazing, beautiful people!

I recently travelled with a friend to Hotel Villa Cuba in Varadero July 31-August 7. We had a great time. Sure there were some things about the resort that need attention but I learn something new and different from each and every resort I visit. We had great, very hot weather the whole week with some phenomenal thunder and lightening storms a few nights and late afternoon. It didn't always rain with the storms and when it did it only poured for a short time. As fast as the rain starts, it stops and dries up. Absolutely nothing to ruin any of our vacation.

The Resort:
It was close to the airport. The entrance to it was nice, large and open. Check in was easy. I have to say though it was a very challenging finding our room because we arrived at night and were assigned a Casa (not in the main hotel) and no one escorted us to it. The pathways to the Casa's were not well lit at all. I was glad to have my phone with the flashlight feature. The Casa that we were in was 3360 (Room 3364) and the next morning once we found our way around, it was a terrific location, within steps to the beach, lunch snack bar and the pool. Also very close to the lobby (but then again the whole resort was well laid out with easy access to everything). The elevators scattered around the resort were sketchy and didn't always work so at times you would have no choice but to use the stairs. Not a good place for anyone with mobility issues unless you were in a ground level room.

I have a hard time understanding some of the negative reviews. Sure the resort is dated and in need of some repairs or updating but most resorts have their own flaws. They don't have gobs of money available to them to keep everything to our modern standards but they do their best to maintain the properties with what they have. If you want modern and new, find a brand new 5 star resort or just stay home. We did not experience problems with other patrons and even though, yes, there were many locals around we didn't have problems with them either. I actually found them quite friendly and unobtrusive.

There are very many adorable cats around which we loved, but not all clients shared our love. My travelling companion, along with a Cuban friend of his, sat and talked with the resort management with the hopes of them working with an outside group to have the cats spayed/neutered. We hope the resort accepts the free help which will help eliminate the growth of the cat population on the resort.

Villa Cuba is relatively close to the heart of Varadero and we visited it a few times. However, if you step off the resort, remember to bring toilet paper and don't always expect a toilet seat in the public washrooms. You will likely have to tip to get a piece of toilet paper if you don't have your own.

We walked to heart of Varadero, the main drag, one afternoon and took the double decker bus another (which stops at the front of the resort). The bus is 5 pesos each for the day and you can get off an on it as often as you want with the piece of paper they give you. We visited La Fondue restaurant and had an great, very inexpensive meal (51 pesos [about $52 Canadian] for 4 people including a meal each, a fondue appetizer between us, 3 beer and a bottle of wine!), then visited "Calle 62", a bar right next door, for a few drinks, then walked further down the strip to The Beatles for more drinks and to listen to live music outside the bar. Lots of people around and very safe. Another day we bussed to the large market further down the strip and went to Lai Lai Chinese restaurant for another great meal. HUGE servings and inexpensive again.

Our Casa Room:
Large, bright and always clean. Although low to the ground, the beds were firm and always freshly made. Pillows were thick and firm. The closet was very large, tons of space. There were two very small cabinets in each end of the closet which served as dressers. The fridge in the room worked well. But the AC worked just OK, somewhat served it's purpose but not icy cold. The bathroom and balcony were huge, but the balcony was shared with one other room. No face cloths but plenty of towels. The hairdryer worked great except for the fears of the electrical connection. The plug was dangling from the unit and was connected with electrical tape to a wire that hung from behind the mirror (not plugged directly into an outlet!). The shower head I have to say was terrible but we managed. It had great pressure but was a fine spray that went everywhere. There was no fan in the bathroom but it had a window which we left wide open the whole time. It had no screen on it but we didn't have any problems with bugs (a few moths that didn't budge from the ceiling, that's it), and we were on the second floor so no safety worries. We kept the bathroom door closed at all times so the AC would kind of cool the bedroom area. Lots of mirrors between the entry, over the desk, and in the bathroom. But not enough electrical outlets and the two that were available in the bedroom area were very sketchy. No outlet in our bathroom if you had an electric shaver or wanted to use a flat iron in there. Although the resort states it has 220v, our Casa room had 110v. No iron/ironing board either but that was absolutely no issue for us. I didn't get to see a hotel room to make any comparison but we loved the size and location of the Casa. And our maid did a phenomenal job!

The Bars:
9th floor bar was nice. Easy to find from the lobby area elevators. Nice views and breezes from the large open windows.

The beach bar and snack bar were a short walk from the beach (which was just outside our Casa) and offered a limited selection of drinks during the afternoon.

The lobby bar was great and had a large variety of drink options. They would make an effort to make your drink of choice. In the end, I loved the White Russians which they weren't all familiar with. I would go to the coffee bar nearby and get a glass of cold milk and give to the bartender to make the drink. If I didn't get this milk, they would either tell me they had no milk or make an attempt at it by using their powdered milk and making it in the blender which wasn't great at all.

The pool bar was good too but we only visited it a few times.

Even though the disco was air conditioned, it was usually quiet, as in not a lot of patrons. But it was a nice reprieve from the heat and nice place to relax with a drink, or to have a dance or two.

The Beach:
Well, it's Cuba so the beach was amazing!! Huge, super clear water and very warm. Sometimes almost not refreshing in the August heat. Never a problem getting a lounger but sometimes finding shade might have been a challenge, but people were always coming and going. It is a public beach so there were often scattered locals spread out but they were never intrusive, even though they sometimes would use a vacant palapa near the resort. One day a family and friends of about 8 brought a cooler of beverages and large containers of food (crab legs, duck, etc.) with them and sat under a palapa near us. They even offered us some of their food, which we graciously declined. How kind of them to even offer! My only problem was they dumped the crab legs in the sand under and around the palapa so the next few days day it was quite smelly in that one spot. We never had a problem leaving our personal items on our loungers and hanging out in the ocean for extended periods of time. The locals didn't touch any of our personal belongings, which was the opposite of my recent experience in Holguin in April.

There are no motorized sports whatsoever on the beach at any of the resorts. There were the typical peddle boats, kayaks and Hobie Cats. A few fish in the water but no great snorkelling on the resort. We didn't do any excursions.

The Food:
The food was very impressive for Cuban standards. We didn't get into any of the a la cartes to make a comparison with the buffets but I found that the buffets always offered a great selection and great tasting options. The chicken and ribs at lunch at the beach snack bar were great as well as the other choices, not to mention the ice cream. Breakfast always had decent choices although their "catsup" was a hit and miss as to its availability. But they always had salad dressings and mustard. Maybe it was the time of year we visited that the food flavourings and choices were better then what I've experienced before. I don't know but I thought it was all very decent and never had any illness issues. But spoons were hard to come by. They were never set at the table with the other silverware and I only saw spoons next to the soup kettles if they had soup at the buffet.

Entertainment:
The entertainment staff on the beach were friendly and tried their best to get guests involved in activities but it seemed that the guests were in total vacation mode, that or it was just too hot. We only watched one or two evening entertainment shows on the stage by the pool but we enjoyed what we saw and it looked like most other guests did as well.

Staff:
I found the majority of them to be very friendly and helpful. Cubans are amazing!

My Overall Opinion:
Speaking for myself, I really enjoyed this resort, the food, the beach (of course) and most everything else we experienced. Sure there were some (unsafe) concerns and other issues but we saw around them and totally enjoyed our stay. Would I return? I would have to say yes. Thank you Villa Cuba for a wonderful vacation.

• Stayed August 2014, travelled with friends
10 Thank WolfieJo
Toronto, Canada
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 14 August 2014

Well first of all there's always bad & good. Also you cant pls. everyone no matter where you go or how many stars. Just go have fun with open minded. We travel 9 ppl. with Cubana Airlines without complaints at all everything went well. We been here before several times at the Hotel Villa Cuba without expectation. We always have lots of fun here. Specially by beach is one of the best. During our stays in this resorts too many locals tourists. A few problems with the local tourists. They have no respect for the line-up at the buffet or anywhere bars, front desk, etc. Also they stole my baseball cap incl.my gf watch which was on top of the table & we know who did it, but it's all good. The staffs didn't do it but the local tourists what ashamed. Rooms was awesome ocean view, 32 inch.flat screen tv, mini fridge & European washroom style. The only problem is they give you 1 bottle of water for the whole week( NOT GOOD). The wash room door wasn't closing properly. 2 Ala carte's Mariposa & Bamboo both are great place to eat. Swimming pool is great clean every morning and the sky bar is awesome one of the best pinacolada.
Thanks to Mariposa staffs for the special birthday cake to my friend, Special thanks to Yadirai, Anabela incl.the front desk staffs you girls rock & Jovier that's why we are always coming back to this resorts. Keep it up the good work and god bless to all of you and will see you soon again. Ms.Ailin pls. regards to them they're doing a great job.
Tips: Exchange your money at the varadero airport better than anywhere or at the cadeca downtown varadero and must bring your passport, renting moped must bring your license. Saturday night clubs(Havana club 5 cuc entrance fee) Sunday night (Internacional clubs 10 cuc )Monday night( Pirata Cueva 10 cuc) Cerveja 2 cuc. All my friends had a blasts during our stays from July 26-Aug.2,2014.
Hotel Villa Cuba Muchos Gracias...See you soon

Room Tip: Try to get the ocean view if you can
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled with friends
      Location
7 Thank Jose G
Toronto, Canada
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 August 2014

I have been waiting months to write this review. I booked a trip to cuba last October, because it was so last minute, our flight was from Toronto to Havana and then we were provided transportation from Havana to Cuba. Our provider was Hola Sun. First off, check in was fine other than the fact we did not have our baggage because Cubana airlines decided to leave it in Toronto this was Sunday afternoon. Because our Hola Sun representative was done for the day we could not get in contact until the next business day, and hotel management would not call them. At this point no luggage, we did not even have a carry on.. just the clothes we wore to the airport and a handbag. We contacted our hola sun rep who basically did nothing for us, saying it would be on the next flight - low and behold it was not. I had to basically tell a fib to the hola sun provider to get my baggage on the next flight out - of course it was not out. We did not get our luggage until half way through the trip, and what upset me the most is hotel management would not even accommodate us or at least make our trip decent. We didn't even have shampoo in our room!! Hotel management is very poorly run in this hotel. VERY poorly run, and i will never stay at this hotel again with the experience they provided - by the third day when we did not receive our luggage we actually waited until management contacted our representative right as we were there. I know it is not management fault, but nothing to even accommodate. The hotel itself is ok, the best part of the hotel is the entertainment crew. Another con is that I would wake up with red marks all over my legs, not sure what it was I assumed sand ants. Needless to say, first and last trip to villa cuba.

• Stayed October 2013, travelled with friends
3 Thank Mila S
Thornhill
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 August 2014

room was beautiful with a beautiful view. however bathroom was old and lots of ants and lizards in the room.

food wasnt too bad but something from either the food or their fountain water made me sick. I couldnt have fun because my stomach was hurting me everyday.

Most staff were only nice to my boyfriend because he spoke spanish and most of the time I felt ignored by them. some of them were nice to both of us though.

beach and pool was good and nice to relax on.

i didnt expect much so i wasnt too disappointed. you get what you pay for.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Ortzzz
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 July 2014

Let's just say we should of spent the extra $400.00 and went somewhere else. We had to change rooms 4 times due to no air conditioning and no water. The foul smell that was around the pool area was enough to make you vomit. Most of the staff was rude. Rarely did we receive fresh towels and sheets. Our beach towels were stolen from the pool and they wanted to charge us $10.00 to replace them each. It's very outdated and they cater to there own meaning there is a lot of Cuban families there and they get treated great. The beach was nice once we cleaned up all the litter left by all the 17 and 18 year olds that were there on their graduation trip (cups, bottles, cigarette butts). If S-trip is there be prepared for unsupervised teenagers drunk out of their minds, not supervised and having sex in the pool. We will definitely not be back to Hotel Villa Cuba.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple
7 Thank Michelle K

Travellers are raving about these Varadero hotels

4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 July 2014

I stayed at Hotel Villa Cuba for one week during July. It is a great resort. The pools are amazing, and the drinks are fantastic. The staff were all friendly and professional, and made me feel welcome. The hotel is located right on the beach, and only a ten minute bus ride from the city centre of Varadero. It was quite clean and the rooms were decent. One thing that really annoyed my friend and I was that the shower only had half a door, so a lot of water would leak out onto the floor and there would be a puddle until the maid came in and cleaned it the next day. The beds were okay and comfortable enough to sleep in. There was a safe in the room as well, which was very handy. The food was not the greatest. Whatever we had was usually bland and just did not taste good. Now back to the drinks. The two bars, one by the pool and one on the 3rd floor, we're pretty good. They served pretty great drinks but the best bar is on the 9th floor. I had the BEST drinks up there. It's also an amazing view of the resort and ocean. Getting to the 9th floor is slightly tricky though. You can only reach it through one set of elevators, so I would ask the staff where to go. Overall, I had an amazing experience at Hotel Villa Cuba and would gladly go back again :)

• Stayed July 2014
      Location
3 Thank Taylyxo
Ailin S, Director Comercial at Be Live Experience Varadero, responded to this review, 21 July 2014
Dear Client:
Is a big pleasure for us you spend an excelent time with us, our reason is all our guest feels like at home and enjoy the holidays. We hope you come back soon, thanks for take the time to write about us, regards Public Relations