“We thoroughly enjoyed it!”

BelleVue Playa Caleta
Ranked #50 of 63 Hotels in Varadero
Winnipeg, Canada
“We thoroughly enjoyed it!”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 31 January 2014

This was our first trip to Varadero in 2008, we stayed at Playa Caleta for 1-week and met up with some friends that were there. Overall we had no issues here, we loved it! We actually found the food was good, too. The snack bar was great because at that time it served burgers, fries, hotdogs and pizza so you could always have something like that to eat. The breakfast buffet was really good too, and it always had bacon! Location was good as well as you were close to the Al Capone Restaurant and not that far from the start of Varadero. The staff were always very friendly, the hotel was very clean and the beach is fantastic! It is a smaller resort but that was fine by us as well. Entertainment was good in the evenings. The only slight problems were electrical issues here and there but that is Cuba in general. We are going to Varadero for our third time tomorrow and I would consider returning to this resort but we have decided to try a different one each time for a different experience.

Room Tip: Ocean view rooms are quite nice!
  • Stayed February 2013, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Cheryl A

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (229)
  • Czech first
  • Finnish first
  • Greek first
  • Polish first
Orangeville, Canada
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 30 January 2014

The staff (with the exception of the person who cleaned our room) were not very friendly or helpful. We were supposed to be able to buy an internet card ($5.00 for 30 mins). I went morning and afternoon for seven days and was never able to buy a card. I was told it was an independent company and that they never dropped any off. Sunwing rep also told us that we would be able to change Canadian money for Cuban money on site. That there would be someone there each day. There was never anyone at anytime who could exchange my money.
They did have buses that would take you to the bank in town and they were free, but it wasn't always convenient. Two members of our party had belongings taken from their room by the maid. They reported it and it did come back the next day. Same maid both times, she said she thought they were leaving it for her. Even though it was our first day there. The food was ok . Not gourmet but you can always find something that will work. Don't plan on getting a good nights sleep in the beds.

• Stayed January 2014, travelled with friends
1 Thank Barbara2388

Travellers are raving about these Varadero hotels

Kingston, Canada
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 January 2014

My boyfriend and I went to celebrate our anniversary at this resort last year. It was my first time taking a trip down south so I didn't really have any expectations as far as quality goes. I was just excited to escape the brutal Canadian winter we were experiencing to go somewhere hot with my hubby.

He is a seasoned vacationer as he has visited Dominican and Cuba several times each, and his opinion overall of the Playa Caleta was fairly disappointing. However, the thing with Cuba is that if you don’t set your expectations to meet Mexico-Jamaica standards, you should be pleased with this resort.

Beach- The beach is absolutely beautiful. My boyfriend and I were very impressed with it. You can walk kilometres down the beach to adventure into other resorts and restaurants, or just stay put in a lounge chair outside the Playa Caleta and soak up the sun. Tons of lounge chairs for everyone. In the evening, the locals will gather at the pier and fish, and one night they let us fish with them. Very neat experience.

Pool- It wasn’t too large, but it was big enough. Very clean and well maintained. In one end they often had activities like volleyball or polo going on, and the other end was used for relaxing or just taking a dip. There were plenty of lounge chairs available for everyone here as well. The bar was usually fairly busy, but the service was great and it was never too long of a wait for a drink.

Rooms- It was a typical hotel style room. The beds weren’t super plush or anything, but they did the trick. The important thing is that they were cleaned very well every day and they offered safety deposit boxes at no charge. The only thing we had an issue with was the lack of towels available. They seemed to be like gold around this place. We tipped extra and left a little note for the maids and from then on we were able to have ample towels during our stay.

Bars- There seemed to be a bar at every corner of the resort. We never went without a beverage in our hand. The main bar was usually fairly busy during peak times, but the service was great so there wasn’t much waiting. I wish they served wine at the bars but they didn’t. I only had wine when we booked at the a la carte restaurants. We expressed this wish to one of the servers at the restaurant, and somehow he was able to pull some strings and when we went back to our room after dinner, we had a bottle of white wine in our fridge. It was a very thoughtful surprise. I would definitely bring an insulated mug of some sort when traveling anywhere; the little plastic cups they gave out didn’t hold much and it obviously didn’t stay cold for very long. The beach bar was great too. I loved the drinks they made out of coconut shells.

Food- Unless you’re a picky eater, you will always find something to eat in the buffet. My only complaint about the buffet is that, unless you went to a meal fairly early, there wasn’t much leftover. We basically picked from scraps a few nights. The other nights we made a note to get there right on time, and the variety was plentiful and the quality was good. The a la cartes were good as well. We loved the Italian restaurant. The Chinese restaurant was closed when we were there. The snack bars offered a menu similar to the ones you would find at a typical chip truck. Chicken fingers, burgers, grilled cheeses, etc. They were nice when you didn’t feel like getting dressed from the pool to go to a sit down meal. If you’re feeling adventurous, I highly recommend going to a restaurant in town somewhere. We went to several and were very impressed with the quality of the food, and how cheap it was. At one restaurant in town, my boyfriend and I had a salad each, we split a pizza, and then had a pasta entrée, he had 2 beer, I had 2 glasses of wine, and it only came to 16 pecos! It was a nice date night off the resort.

Activities- My boyfriend and I thoroughly enjoyed the catamaran excursion. It was a nice day trip off the resort. That was the only excursion we did, although we were interested in trying some others. I wish there were more activities on the resort. We had a great time playing ping pong on the table, but after our third day there, apparently some other vacationers got rowdy and they stopped lending out the paddles and balls to other people. Other than ping pong, there wasn’t really much going on, and if there was we weren’t notified about it.

Entertainment- Other than a show at night and a live band near the main bar, there wasn’t much entertainment either.

The things I complained about here, most definitely did not ruin the trip for me at all. We had an amazing time! I wouldn’t go back again myself because I’m interested in trying out other resorts in other areas, but I would recommend it to anyone looking for a week away on a beautiful beach for a stellar price.

Room Tip: Offering typical advice about choosing a good room... don't choose a ground level room, and it i...
  • Stayed February 2013, travelled as a couple
2 Thank courtneybrooke27
Montreal, Canada
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 January 2014

I went to Playa Caleta, Varadero from January 15th to January 22nd, 2014. It was my second stay at this hotel, I previously stayed there in March 2012. And it was also my 10th time in Cuba.

Food:
The food was good. Even though there isn't much variety, you can still find something good to eat if you're not a very picky person. My favourites were the chicken, potatoes, banana baked chips and the omelettes. I suggest going early to the buffet or else you'll be stuck waiting in the lineup forever. The opening hours of the buffet are not written anywhere, so I had to figure it out myself and ask around. The waiters were nice and friendly. Pretty much everyone in the hotel was nice, but some of them will make a face when you don’t tip them.
I know that Breakfast opens at 7:30, Lunch at 12:30, Dinner at 6:30, but I never knew when it closed.
The Floresta bar has only hamburgers and fries, which is disappointing because two years ago they used to have grilled cheese, chicken sandwiches, and many more. I did not go to A la carte restaurant, so I can't tell you if it’s good or not.

Rooms:
Beds were okay. There was a HUGE COCKROACH in our bathroom, we called the reception to bring someone to kill it, and after 10 minutes it ran away back to its hiding place. The guy couldn't find it, and said that there's nothing he can do. I told the maid about it and she just said, "It's not dangerous, it doesn't do anything." She closed the bath's and the sink's faucet hole.
The bathroom was renovated with a granite counter.
I suggest getting a room with an ocean view, it’s incredible!

Entertainment:
No entertainment in Playa Caleta you have to go Puntarena.

Beach (& Weather):
The beach is wonderful! There were so many little tiny seashells to pick up.
Water was cold, but it’s normal since it’s winter in Cuba. The first three days of our stay were cloudy, windy and cold (about 17-18 Celsius), lots of waves and jellyfish, and after that still a bit windy, but sunny.

Bank:
We couldn't exchange money at the hotel because the reception said that the hotel doesn't have any money to make exchanges. The whole week we couldn't exchange our Canadian dollars for CUC. So we had to take the free bus, and go to the bank at downtown and exchange our money there. On the way back home, the bus came one hour late to pick us up and take us back to the hotel. We waited one hour in front of the bank for the bus to come.

Elevators:
One day, two work and the other, it's only one.

Overall I was a bit disappointed for my second stay at this hotel, kinda got downgraded in my head. But still not bad for the price we paid.
I would not suggest going to this hotel for a high price, only go here when it's for a low price because it's not worth it.

Room Tip: Get a room with an ocean view.
  • Stayed January 2014, travelled with family
6 Thank Claudia K
RHODES CORNER
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 January 2014

my wife and i and 4 kids stayed jan 18th to 25th 2014 and we was worried about all the bad reviews . we must say all the staff was friendly , the maid would always talk to us for alittle if we was there . the bar tenders in L2 knew what our kids liked . i guess our biggest complaint was we waited 1.5 hours at the chinese a la cart and only had our appitizer . my wife and i both woke up one night with a bad smell from the oil refinery , and we had ocean view on the 5th floor . the view was so nice . my wife and i went into town acouple times and we even left the kids there at the resort . they are aged 11,12,14 and 14 and we did not worry atall

Room Tip: ocean view is best
  • Stayed January 2014, travelled with family
2 Thank William B
Toronto, Canada
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 January 2014

I had already booked Playa Caleta before all these awful reviews poured in; however, I am happy that I didn't listen because the stay was absolutely fabulous! The staff was phenomenal and really went above and beyond to ensure we were well taken care of (funny thing about human beings, is that if you treat them with respect you will probably receive it in return). Of course this isn't a 3.5 star by North American standards; however, if you go with the intent to enjoy the Cuban culture and really travel, this won't impact your stay. The hotel was very clean, our room was tidy, and we felt safe through the entirety of our stay. The food was typical resort food (to be found at any hotel buffet, not just Cuba), but it was still enjoyable. Yes, you will be approached by people to purchase goods, but a simple "no, gracias" will suffice to get you through your stay (see note on treating human beings with respect). Yes, there were "sand fleas"; however, I have encountered these in SEVERAL different countries as this is quite common - neither of us were bit, but I thought I would mention this is a reality in locales with beaches. One thing of note, I would recommend converting money at the airport if you are arriving after 3:00 PM ET as the banks are closed and the front desk rarely has cash for conversion. Overall, I would most certainly stay at Playa Caleta again as I found this experience to be truly fabulous!

Room Tip: Ocean view rooms have a beautiful breeze and a lovely view!
  • Stayed January 2014, travelled as a couple
3 Thank SaraMcL
Pembroke, Canada
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 January 2014

Amazing staff and amazing trip and place to stay. Always have to go with an open mind to the country Cuba period as it is far different from any other. It is poor communist, non americanized. things break and things rot etc and things take time and money to fix. live with it or dont go if you need "need" more. Workers work hard to do all they can for you while they live with next to nothing and they still smile and get what they can and even will join you at times for fun and dance!! People complain of the food, but its healthy pure with no chemicals or salt poured to it etc... so open and try or stick just bread and pasta and get thru or go to diff country. Personsaly I love it the best to eat the healthiest! Also it may be a little distance to the town but love that away from the hustle and bustle and love the end thats its also got a canal, we take bread from buffet and feed the the fish to see the tropicals at the canal (just another bonus there!) Anyone going please please email me, you make such good friends there then its hard to communicate after with locals of communism :s. sunflower4u_74@hotmail.com

Room Tip: Ask for ocean side as at night there is a sulfur smell from a plant near by but after day or two don...
  • Stayed January 2014, travelled with friends