BelleVue Playa Caleta
  • Restaurant
Hotel Varazul(Varadero)
Hotel Acuazul(Varadero)
1,391 results
All reviewsocean viewfree shuttlefishpizzafriesporkdouble decker busmac and cheesesalad baromelettego with an open mindalfredobuffet foodgreat beachpesoscubansmug
FilterAll languages
Reviewed 15 May 2014

Myself and eight others stayed at the Puntarena, the brother resort to the Playa Caleta.
Went down under the impression that you can go back and forth between the two resorts. Which is true you can, but the Playa Caleta is closed due to being condemned and none of the online options for the resort were available. Not even a swim up bar.
The head manager/owner was a complete dick and kept a close eye on my group and asked his workers to stop serving us.
The hotel is shabby. My room was full of mildew, My bed had fleas, sewer constantly acted up and leaked, the grounds of the resort itself were unsafe. The walkways are all uneven I broke my toe. The drain covers were missing making it incredibly unsafe. Two out of three elevators were out of order and the one elevator that did work only did so 70% of the time. I was stuck in the one working elevator three times during my stay.
The front desk staff I found were rude and ignorant. The servers were incredible and helpful. The entertainment was amazing. My maid was above and beyond.
The representative was only seen two days out of the ten days stayed their.
For a resort that is listed as a 3, 1/2 star resort I wouldn't even grant it a 2 and that would be pushing it.

Room Tip: Do not stay at this resort as it is condemed.
  • Stayed: May 2014, travelled with friends
1  Thank Tye S
Reviewed 24 April 2014

I’m a regular guest of Hotel Playa Caleta: good beach, acceptable food and reasonable prices. But unfortunately my experience changed this wee-end of April. Because it is not fair say the same opinion for all areas, I just want to specify one by one:
-Reception service: Really nice. Professional and people disposal to help you, to provide a nice stay in the hotel.
-Lobby Bar: Excellent. The ¨blond lady¨ makes super cocktails. (I think she is actually one of the best barmen in Varadero)
-Night Show: Really Great!!!! Congratulation!!
-Buffet Restaurant: Nice service, great food.
-Beach restaurant: Absolutely awful. Bad food, bad drinks, bad service. My advice: if you are Cuban do something with your accent because you could be there half and hour waiting for the main dishes, because in that place you depend on this. It is not a self-service (even when it is an all inclusive). We wait so much and when at least they finally came with something to eat we just sow the heat of the fish and my poor child obtain a 2/3 of his steak. We don’t eat so much but at my house my child can eat a decent portion.
But, ok, as there was a mess, jut check the cafeteria to eat something light but decent. Guess what? There is almost nothing to eat. You could be starving during the whole day because acceptable food to eat is just at breakfast and dinner; rest of the day is not possible to get it. That is a real problem for many people who prefers a light breakfast. We don’t want to eat so much in the morning but you must note that if it is your case you could be in problems during the rest of the day.
Administration: We felt a little pressure from the workers because the Spaniard manager was at the hotel. I expected the best of this situation because the administration should be vigilant with all services: WRONG. The manager visits all areas, I sow him, but he never tastes anything. It is a suggestion, taste drinks at the pool bar and you will find a worse cocktail of your life. Did he visit the public bathrooms of the hotel? Maybe he refused to smell it.
Pool Bar: Terrible. Maybe depend of the team but drinks are so bad, almost was just water what we drink, without flavor. And I have another suggestion for the personal: please gentlemen, you are dealing with guests, so please, don’t be insolent because that could be worse that the worse drink that you serve. I went to demand to the barman about my Piña Colada because it tasted as water and that guy was really insolent, he looked me like as an insect. My opinion is that they still need to learn so much about service and appreciate more their jobs.
It is not a bad review for pleasure. I don’t want to damage the image of this hotel, just help to recover the good administration of the past. Until that, I will cancel my recommendation to go there. Hope we can hear soon good news about Hotel Playa Caleta.

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled with family
4  Thank CubaLuxuryReport
Reviewed 7 April 2014

I have to say over all, it wasn't bad...we went as a group of seven, ages 20 to 35. We found everything we needed, food was better then expected for Cuba and You have the use of both resorts... i have to say, the caleta sides buffet was much better. the beach at night, was full of jellyfish, I believe its because the opening of the canal is right beside the resorts beach. The beach is nice, clean and a decent size as you have use of both resorts. The rooms are dated, the resort is having many upgrades done. i would recommend this hotel as "more for the older crowd" For the right price i would go back, however i am in the upper part of our age group ;)

Room Tip: room upgrade and the buffet is way better on the caleta side. stay away from the ala cart restaraunt casa blanca
  • Stayed: January 2014, travelled with friends
1  Thank travelingmelody
Reviewed 6 April 2014

This was my 3rd time at Playa Caleta. It has now merged with with the Puntaarena which is the next door resort. Guests can now use amenities at either hotel which I really enjoyed since the scenery doesn't get as stale.

I personally thought the buffet and bar at Playa Caleta had better service, was also glad to see that the old Playa Caleta staff are still around.

Had issues exchanging money this time around, they ran out of CUC and I had to go into town. Was not really happy about this since you need to give a 10 CUC deposit for the beach towel, hotel should have been able to adapt and be more accommodating considering this, also one of the 3 elevators in Puntaarena was out for the entire duration of the trip which created a bit of a hassle with elevator waiting times.

Regardless, as always this was a great bang for your buck experience, as I go to Cuba for the beach and nothing else. Will for sure be returning here during one of my future trips back to Cuba.

Room Tip: Ocean view is always great for the additional 5 CUC/ per night.
  • Stayed: April 2014, travelled with friends
2  Thank Alexandr21
Reviewed 30 March 2014

March 22-29 2014 Had a great time!!! Food was a little so-so for the first couple of days but we warmed up to it. Repetitive Food and Bar-Great being able to go to both Puntarena and Caleta choice of buffets, late night snacks by swim up bar, beach bar had great pizza at lunch. Casablanca and chinese ala carte awesome. Varieties of bars to go to. Variety shows each night put on in theatre and disco. We had fantastic view of the ocean. Room 1529. Elevators iffy but worked. Not a 4 star but if you want that -don't go to Cuba. Bartenders great. Everything within easy walk, beach is great-watch for the first dip. Change your money at airport or Varadero--no bank at hotel.

Room Tip: Oceanview above 5th floor. Bring ketchup, facecloths, big cups.
  • Stayed: March 2014, travelled as a couple