“Will be going back!”

Barcelo Solymar
Ranked #31 of 64 Hotels in Varadero
“Will be going back!”
Reviewed 6 June 2014

I went to Barcelo Solymer the last week of May with 2 other girls (all in our early 20's) and it was one of the best trips I have had. The resort is definiatly for a younger crowd, if you're looking for a quite, calm resort you should probably look else where (do your research). We got a supersaver room, which had a leak in the ceiling of the washroom for the last 3 days but other then that everything else in the room was good. The staff were all very friendly (even when we weren't tipping).

Our return flight home was delayed the first time by 6 hours and then again for another 7 hours (which was through Sunwing), instead of having to wait in the airport, Barcelo let us stay check back into our room, no questions asked and free of charge for another night. We got water and beer delevered to the room every day and fresh room/beach towels everyday if we wanted.

One thing I would suggest is to bring a good amount of bug spray, at night our legs got bit alot. I would recommed this resort for anyone who is looking for a younger crowd and a fun time!

• Stayed May 2014, travelled with friends
BarceloSmAb, Director General at Barcelo Solymar, responded to this review, 15 June 2014
Dear Guest,

First of all we would like to thank you for the time that you have invested in sharing your experience during your stay in our hotel, we are glad to know that you endorsed our property highly.

We recognize that our staff plays a valuable role in the vacation experience of our guests but reviews like yours serve us to motivate us even more; allow us to confirm that these persons will be congratulated for the excellent service provided.

We are also pleased to know that your relaxing vacation with us was highlighted by enjoyable food in our restaurants and our evening entertainment.

We look forward to see you again and provide you with an even better experience.

Juan Marqués

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (882)
  • Czech first
  • Finnish first
  • Greek first
  • Polish first
  • Slovak first
  • Turkish first
Sault Ste. Marie, Canada
Reviewed 5 June 2014

just got back from the barcelo solymar the hotel and grounds well maintained other than no a/c for 5 out of 7 days food was good hotel was full of the younger crowd but we didnt go to socialize it was to relax on the beautiful white sand beach.... the next time we go to cuba we will definitely be taking some spanish classes.... and tipping definitely makes the service better ... while we were there we did the catamaran dolphin cruise which was an amazing time well worth the money ....

Room Tip: if you want close to the beach pick the bungalows .... 4th floor has the best view of the ocean
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
Dear BlueJay92,

Thank you for taking the time to share your positive experiences on your recent stay here at the Barceló Solymar Arenas Blancas Resort.

We are thrilled to hear you had such a wonderful time at our property and that you enjoyed our friendliness and service.

We cannot wait to have you back with us soon, Have a perfect week!!

Toronto, Canada
Reviewed 3 June 2014

Just got back.. was not a good hotel..There are two in one complex which you can use the facilities at both however majority of the facilities are located in the Solymar..The staff was extremely rude, they never smile.. and the food is average.. however the evening shows were professionally done..!!
Very disappointed..

Room Tip: Go somewhere else..!!!
6 Thank Marilu C
BarceloSmAb, Director General at Barcelo Solymar, responded to this review, 12 June 2014
Dear Marilú,

I am writing to you concerning your recent stay in our hotel, first of all I would like to thank you for letting us know about your experience in our hotel in order to improve our service.

We were sorry to hear your comments about the injury that you suffered and I forwarding your complain to the departments involved with guest service, I assure you that we have taken all the measures to improve the quality of the service..

Juan Marqués

Travellers are raving about these Varadero hotels

Toronto, Canada
Reviewed 1 June 2014

.......Just got back last night from a 5 night day at my first Barcelo resort stay at the Solymar side of the resort...

ENTERTAINMENT: Day activities at Solymar pool...the games a blast with Amazing Yudith of course, bingo, darts.....still looking for the missing dart Yudith????

Evening shows: Fab...MJ Show, Romance, International Dance very professionally done, entertaining ....hardworking group of dancers. Special thanks and recognition to JUAN CARLOS...his dance moves beautifully performed and Medel (MR.T) quite a talented gentleman....enjoying your CD very much....thank you so very much for those lovely shows.....

BELLHOPS: Jorge and Joey hardworking and good drivers...Thank you for job well done!

FRONT DESK: One gentleman who needs to be recognized and gets the job done is OSCAR...resolves situations professionally and efficiently.

Food is average however if you get Cary as your waitress she is quite fun and that wonderful smile!

Stay in a bungalow #2120 oceanview...large balcony close to Solymar buffet, pool and lobby area....

Room Tip: rooms on Arenas blancas quieter...much partying going on Solymar side...higher floor
2 Thank crepebanana
Dear Guest,

Allow us to thank you for taking the time to write this review in which you share your experience at Barcelo Solymar Arenas Blancas with all Trip Advisor readers.

We are pleased to know that your relaxing vacation with us was highlighted by the courteous attention of our staff, comfort room accommodation & amenities.

Woking, United Kingdom
Reviewed 30 May 2014

14th May to 29th May and first to talk about my trip despite all the odd reviews people put on here. If you want to party then the Barcelo Solymar is the place to be but if you want a nice relaxing time then its the Barcelo Arenas Blancas.

HOTEL:- There are two in one complex which you can use the facilities at both however majority of the facilities are located in the Solymar.The Arenas Blancas is a four star where as the Solymar is a five star. The good thing about the hotel is the location where you can just walk to everything without getting a taxi.

STAFF:-I stayed at the Arenas Blancas and the staff there are very amazing. They work and give good service without even relying on a tip and most times I would be generous and tip them because they deserved it. I spend most of my time mingling with the staff at the pool bar and Orestes is your man if you want to have a good time if you are chilling by the bar. From my cleaner Dayami to all the waiters, chefs were so lovely and not forgetting the towel lady who always had a smile on her face.

FOOD;- I am not a picky eater when I go on holiday but the food was ok. I most had fish because sometimes the meat wasn't cooked properly so use to get a bit of an upset stomach hence the reason I stuck to fish. The food in the Solymar was more of a better quality. Never went to any of the a la carte.

ROOM:- Had no problem with the room and didn't see why people always complained. At the end of the day you don't on vacation to stay in your room. I just use mine for sleeping and showering cause I was always somewhere. The maid Dayami did a fabulous job in cleaning my room and my mini was always restocked everyday.

BEACH:- The most beautiful caribbean I have been to cause it was just so nice there but the only thing I was mad at myself for not spending enough time there.

GUEST:- Met some wonderful people there especially my team from Canada which made my trip so wonder Dorothy, Frank, Chrissy, Christine, Jessica, Robert and can't remember the rest names but thanks for a wonderful time at the Arenas Blancas.

Overall it was a wonderful trip which I did enjoy and actually looking forward to going back to the Arenas Blancas not because of the hotel but the staff which made my holiday what it was.

Room Tip: If you want a good room better getting a pool view and high floor room as those are much better or p...
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled solo
2 Thank Eddie E
Dear Eddy,

Have a nice week!!
Reviewed 29 May 2014 via mobile

Where do I start…
The staff was extremely rude. Night number 1 I wanted to leave. Good luck getting service unless you are a tight bodied 20 year old.
The whole resort is a giant party, so if that is what you are looking for this is the place for you.
Strongly recommend you go somewhere else if you are going on a family trip.
Very disappointed.

Stayed May 2014
3 Thank Garrett M
Dear Guest,

I want to express thanks for taking your time to write a review about Barceló Solymar Arenas Blancas; but I would like as well, express regret for haven’t made this vacations an unique experience, the way we like in Barceló Hotels.

Your review has been very detailed, be sure I will bring it over all the departments heads, and the appropriate measures will be taken.

Again, thank you for your nice feedback.

Have an amazing week!

Prague, Czech Republic
Reviewed 28 May 2014

See, what I wanted to do was to party hard, be able to sleep a little, go to the beach, drink and party hard again... In that case, you've just picked up the best hotel ever. Great food (however, I cannot speak how is the breakfast, as I was not able to get up before 11am). See, the best advantage is the back bar, close to Arenas Blancas, as it is opened till 6am. so you can have some good-night sandwich in the end of the party, that is very good. If you will be able, go for bungalows originally situated in Barcelos Solymar part. It is close to the sea, and the best of all, not so much noisy in the night...

Room Tip: Bungalows on the right side of hotel - formally Solymar Hotel part, ideally close to the Back bar ju...
  • Stayed February 2014, travelled with friends
1 Thank JohnS01
BarceloSmAb, Director General at Barcelo Solymar, responded to this review, 8 June 2014
Dear Guest,

No doubt we will have in mind your feedback to improve the speed at the reception desk, as well as the standards of food in restaurants, thank you.

We cannot wait to have you back with us soon, Have a perfect week!!