“Another Great Vacation !!”
Review of IBEROSTAR Tainos

IBEROSTAR Tainos
Ranked #16 of 65 Hotels in Varadero
Halifax, Canada
“Another Great Vacation !!”
Reviewed 11 May 2012

We stayed here from April 23-30 2012...... This was my 6th time to Cuba but my first time at this resort.
I had sent an email to the resort asking for a room on the ground level and that is what we got. Great location close to the lobby. 3 days into our trip a bottle of rum was left in our room...Thank you.
Maray was our cleaning lady and was so sweet. She gave us a bottle of water everyday and our room was immaculate. I always put the flowers they add to the towel art outside because of bugs.
We had lots of water pressure and always hot water.
We never had a problem finding room to sit in the lobby bar. It is very large but is quite smoky at times.
The servers at the lobby bar did a great job getting our drinks, even when you go up to the bar to order a drink they will take it and bring it to you at your table.
The buffet had an excellent selection of food and we never had a problem finding something good to eat. The ice cream is delicious. Jennifer was our server for the week and she was adorable. She even gave me a gift of earrings and some flower pots on the last day we were there. We ate at the Japanese restaurant which I highly recommend as well.
The beach is amazing. Clear clear water and so refeshing! The first few days we were there was quite rough but it was still fun in the waves...the last few were much calmer and relaxing.
They play lots of different games and have dance lessons on the beach but do not pressure you into participating if you choose not to. The beach bar is close to the chairs and service was quick everytime I went up. No problem with vendors at this resort as well. They will walk by but do not come too close.
We really enjoyed the area outside of the buffet where the live music played. They were really good. The dancers come and mingle with the guests in the evening as well and that was enjoyable.
There is a bank next door at the Melia Las Antilles and this is where we exchanged our money. A better deal then at the reception.
This was a great trip and once again the people of Cuba are amazing hosts and really make the trip enjoyable.
***Two days before leaving, a group of people arrived for a wedding. There were some in this group that were very obnoxious and loud and acted like they were the only ones at the resort. Playing their own heavy metal music on the beach, yelling and screaming and actually were very rude. These were adults and not teens which I could have understood this behavior a little more.
They were from Canada and do not represent most Canadians who travel to Cuba. It was embarassing and I can understand if some of the guests would group us all together but trust me most of us are not this rude. ***
I will be back to this resort next year and look forward to seeing all the friendly faces again..

• Stayed April 2012, travelled as a couple
2 Thank serendipity1765
DGIberostarTainos, General Manager at IBEROSTAR Tainos, responded to this review, 14 May 2012
Dear Friends,

Thank you for the nice review. Sometimes some people are dificult, sometimes we also have some dificult moments in the hotel ,however ,we all should have some more respect, no matter where we are comming from. Thank you for all the nice words and I will also pass your words onto Marey, Jennifer and the rest of my staff , and we do hope to see you again in the near future.

Iberostar Tainos

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (712)
  • Czech first
  • Hebrew first
  • Hungarian first
  • Polish first
  • Slovak first
  • Turkish first
ottawa
Reviewed 11 May 2012

I have been to cuba 2 times. last time stayed at Blau Varadero. This time went with wife and friends.
My rating:
Food was 7/10
Clean was 9/10
Dinner, Breakfast, Lunch Service 9/10
Wine 9/10
Lobby 3/10 the lobby is very small and limited seating, so when it rains almost impossible to find a place to sit.
Lobby service for drinks 3/10 takes them forever to bring your drink!
Room cleanliness 8/10
Room luxury 2/10
Beach 7/10
gift shop 8/10
Alacarte restaurant 6/10
Entertainment 9/10
Friendliness 10/10

We paid $1200/ person, and i would pay this amount for a different hotel or possibly for Mexico.

TIPS:
Make sure you take Canadian Dollar.
Make sure your Canadian dollar bill is in PERFECT condition, and I mean PERFECT or else they will not take it!
if it is your first time DO THE HAVANA TOUR WITH CIGAR AND RUM FACTORY
Try the Rose wine
TAKE LOTS OF SUN SCREEN, IT COSTS $32 FOR A SIMPLE BOTTLE THERE
Take some canadian gifts for the people there working in the hotel they love it
If you are buying cigar, you can buy at the Hotel as the price is the same as everywhere else! if you are bringing cigar back but at duty free it is cheaper.

Room Tip: Take the rooms that are not in the main building and are the bungalow, near the pool. MUCH MUCH BETT...
  • Stayed April 2012, travelled with friends
DGIberostarTainos, General Manager at IBEROSTAR Tainos, responded to this review, 21 May 2012
"Dear Friends,

On a behalf of the staff and management here at Iberostar Tainos we would like to thank you for your review. Priority in our hotel is the improvement of all our services and continuous work to obtain our guest satisfaction. We have taken all your comments and suggestion into consideration and we will do the best we can to improve all the mentioned points. However, if you decide, to visit us again in the near future, please do note hesitate to contact us.

Wish you all the best

Bradford, United Kingdom
Reviewed 11 May 2012

We got married in april 2012 at the iberostar tainos and spent two weeks in the hotel with a group of 26.
This is the best hotel i've stayed in because of the staff the enthusiasm from them and of course because of the special occasion.

My wedding went very smoothly with big thanks to our wedding co-ordinator Giselle. She always had time for us even though she is obviously very busy, and made sure she could do everything asked for us.

I'd heard that the food was a little bland in Cuba before i went. However i was pleasently surprised from the hotel and cuba itself.
The food in tainos was lovely, lots of choice in the buffet, i never got bored of the food. Also the japenese restaurant is a good experience and lovely food.
The staff in the restaurants were amazing too. Never missed an empty glass and were always happy.

The entertainment was none stop at the hotel, so if your wanting peace and quite while sunbathing put your ipod on.
I thought the enthusiasm from the staff and the smiles on their faces really makes you feel welcome and gets you into the cuban sprirt, they were brill.

The rooms were kept very clean everyday by the maids. They always made the extra effort with the sculptures made out of the bed linen.

We had a lovely time here, i wish i was still there. I will definatley go back.

Room Tip: We had a bungalow room. People say its best having one of these. I can't compare because i wasn...
  • Stayed April 2012, travelled with family
Dear Friends,

We are glad that you had a wonderful time and wonderful wedding and we do hope to see you again. I will pass your words onto my staff ,I know that it will be apreciated. Wish you and your family all the best.

London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 10 May 2012

We stayed in this hotel for 10 days as the last leg of our honeymoon and it was refreshing to arrive at such a lovely hotel after our not so enjoyable experience in Havana.
The staff were friendly, the food was lovely, the pool and beaches amazing….the entertainment was superb.
The only issue we had was that we found ants in our cupboards in the room and they were crawling through our clothes which wasn’t very pleasant.
However reception staff were amazing and got us moved to a new room same floor (3rd floor) in the main building but a different cleaner and it made all the difference….until 2nd from last day.
The cleaners make some lovely arrangements with the towels on the bed and use fresh flowers too….we came back and there were ants/bugs crawling through our sheets towels bedding etc and they had come off the flowers…so if you get flowers on your bed throw them out at the earliest opportunity.
The hotel is very close to the marina where the catamaran tour leaves for Cayo Blanco, it was a fantastic day and we saw lots of dolphins in ‘the wild’ and then saw even more at the dolphin show at the aqua marina (also near the hotel). Make sure you ask your tour operator about the dolphin show as you can pay a little extra and swim with dolphins if you like, we were quite disappointed as it wasn’t offered to us and only seemed to be offered to French, German, Canadian tour operators etc

All in all a fab holiday in a lovely hotel.

• Stayed April 2012, travelled as a couple
3 Thank FandB_Pierce
Dear Friends,

Thank you very much for the nice words about hotel, food, entertainment and especialy fot the nice words about our houskeeping. In my opinion these ladys have one of the most dificult jobs. I assure you that the flowers in your room was the intention to make you happy and not to couse a problems with the ants. We have take a note to avoide the same thing in the future. One more time thank you very much and we do hope to see you again.

Figeac
Reviewed 9 May 2012

We stayed at 3 different hotels in Varadero and 1 in Havana... all 4 or 5 stars

Tainos was perfect... The food was good, staff were the best, room, cleaner, amenities all great.
We extended our holiday to a total of 12 days because it was so good there.
In fact it was the best hotel we have ever stayed at and it was the only hotel where we actually were sad to leave.

It is a small resort but with the heart of the staff it makes it so much bigger.

• Stayed January 2012, travelled with family
2 Thank Oz-LeMurier
Dear Friends

Thnank you very much for your nice review. I agree with you, maybe we are 4 star hotel but all my staff have a 5 star heart. And we are gald that you had such a good holiday and we do hope to see you again.

Wish you all the best

england
Reviewed 8 May 2012 via mobile

We must say we had a great time in this hotel ,the staff were fantastic & helpful and the restaurants were to as expected.
The beach was totally amazing and very entertaining with lots of activities if you wish to join in ,I thought they had a great balance of when to have their music& funtimes on the beach and then leave you to enjoy the sound of the sea and a good book
Kayaks,pedalo& catamarans were available on green flag days up until 2pm although you cannot predict the weather we had very few of these and would of liked to go out more
The staff work incredibly hard & long hours and still manage to have a cheeky joke .
We thoroughly enjoyed the nights especially sitting outside listening to the salsa bands & on a few occasions watching " the proffesionals "
On the downside the rooms(bungalows) were shabby and in need of a revamp,our relatives had sanitary towels left in their bin on arrival and these were removed on complaint,we asked to have a look at rooms in the hotel which they obliged,but on seeing it we decided our bungalow was better.
We decided as a party of four we would not let this affect our stay, although we were not 100% happy, we felt they were unable to offer anything better so went on the positive note and to show that not all British people are juvenile discontented moaners
We would although now having visited Cuba do things differently by having longer in Havana and maybe either fly back to USA or if possible renting a room / apartment and going out in the evenings to soak up the Cuban lifestyle after having a taster one evening( calle 62 is a must @ night )

Stayed April 2012, travelled as a couple
1 Thank granary40
Dear Guest,

Thank you very much for your scores especialy about friendliness 10/10 however let me tell you that improvements is an ongonig proces that never stoped, and sometimes some things are a bit dificult however all my staff and my self are hard working people always seeking the best for all our clients. We can not be compare ,to Mexico or some other country.

Reviewed 8 May 2012

Me and my Husband stayed here between 13 April and 27th . We travelled in a group of 20 and we got married here on 19th April.

Firstly yes we had a few problems with our rooms when we first arrived however this was sorted within an hour or so and we were given a junior suite which was brilliant. To us that was enough but to top this we were given a bottle of rum to say sorry too. The room was cleaned everyday to a high standard by the maid .

Yes Some of our group were ill with a stomach bug including myself and my husband but I don't believe this was from any fault of the hotel at all. When I stayed in Cuba at a different hotel the previous year I was also ill. I think it's a mixture of the heat and different foods not necessarily that the food is bad. When my husband was Ill the manager could not do enough for him even having some food brought up to our room.

Yes I guess there could be a bit more variety of food but the food was nice!

The pool was lovely , can't say I really noticed that it hadn't been cleaned . It seemed clean and tidy . the beach is amazing out of this world!

The Entertainment team at this hotel need a huge mention. Marvas , Elvis were fab I can Definatley recommend the Salsa and beach games.

Now to our wedding. Our wedding planner Giselle was brilliant , she was so helpful and kind and we honestly felt like we'd made a true friend by the end of our stay. Everything was organised and planned within a couple of hours to our liking , nothing was too much trouble for her. The manager Dejan even came and introduced himself to us and wished us a perfect day which we thought was a special touch.

The only thing I will say which is not a negative point against the staff or hotel is if you have a particular colour theme and you want flowers or ribbons to match please think about bringing ribbon , confetti things like that with you as you are limited to what is available in in Cuba. Don't forget this is a third world country and things you may take for granted in the UKare not always available in Cuba.

Our actual wedding day was perfect.
Although it wasn't on the beach which we knew about before we came it was just beautiful. The gardens surrounding the gazebo are so well kept, the small walk way / aisle from the hotel to the gazebo is lovely . Yes the gazebo is not far from the lobby of the hotel but that had no effect on our wedding day at all.

We would like to say a huge Thankyou to all of the staff at the tainos and a special thanks to the Manager Dejan who helped make our stay even more memorable. We tried to say goodbye but we couldn't find you before our bus arrived for the Airport.

We would go back to this hotel tomorrow if we couls and one day we will return to celebrate our anniversary and to see the amazing staff again.

From Kimberley & Graham Bowman

• Stayed April 2012
1 Thank Kimberley1980
Dear Friends,

It was our plasure to have you here with us in Iberostar Tainos, and also it was our plasure to help you and assist you in every posible way. I will pass your wirds to Giselle, Marvis, Elvis, and I feel sorry that I was not over there to say godbay to you, however I do hope to see you again and wish you, and your family all the best.