“Best family vacation!!!”

Ranked #16 of 64 Hotels in Varadero
Duncan, Canada
“Best family vacation!!!”
Reviewed 19 January 2014

Just returned from this property and can't say enough good things about it!! When I orginally booked the hotel it was a recommendation from a friend, when I read the reviews I was a little hesitant but knew I had to take her word for it. She was so right!! Those who write the bad reviews have VERY high expectations and don't realize the hidden gem this place is.

When we checked in we were originally in the main building. I had requested that we had bungalows as that is what my friend suggested. We checked in at about 7:00 at night and once we realized we didn't have bungalows they were quick to help us. The bellman was amazing and helped us every step of the way along with the front desk. When we got to the room of course they were simple, but very clean!! Very clean simple rooms, we were very happy. We were traveling with our 16 and 18 year old and they made sure that we had our rooms next door to each other.

I am a celiac and a vegan and knew that I would struggle with the food, I brought a lot of my own condiments and found this to be very helpful. My choices were very limited but I can't complain. My family was very happy with the meals. We went to the japanese restaurant and loved and they were very accomodating for my diet. The cuban restaurant was ok, I didn't have much to eat but again I can't expect anything less as I am in a country that they eat whatever they can I was grateful with anything I had. Make sure to get the coffee in the lounge bar and beach bar, it was amazing!!

THE STAFF WERE AMAZING!!! I can't speak more highly of the amazing staff. From Roberto and Daisy in the buffet to ALL the entertainment staff. Our youngest daughter is special needs and they took her under their wing and she had the most memorable week of her entire life, it was so great to see. She had her special friends that took her to play any game possible all day and every night was up celebrating with her winning certificates. Raul and Micheal were great all day between beach volleyball and dancing lessons we had a blast all day long!!! I realized in Canada we don't dance enough and really need to take some salsa lessons. The night time entertainment was great and Elvis always kept us smiling and laughing and we were always happy to see Yudel in the lounge.

The beach is amazing as well, best beach in all of the big hotels in that area, my husband and I took a walk down both sides of us and we had the cleanest beach and the comfiest chairs!!

All in all the Iberostar Tainos will be somewhere we will be heading back to. It is a family friendly place that I would highly recommend to anyone with kids or that just want a quiet holiday

Room Tip: We had rooms 3614 and 3613 and it was great for us having our kids right next door
  • Stayed January 2014, travelled with family
8 Thank LindaDawn
DGIberostarTainos, General Manager at IBEROSTAR Tainos, responded to this review, 24 January 2014
Dear Guest:

It was our pleasure to have hosted you on your recent vacation. We appreciate that you took the time to provide a review of your trip. Your kind compliments are encouraging us to keep working hard. And we will be waiting for you in the near future!

GM Iberostar Tainos

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (708)
  • Czech first
  • Hebrew first
  • Hungarian first
  • Polish first
  • Slovak first
  • Turkish first
Ottawa, Canada
Reviewed 17 January 2014

The resort is definitely not a 5 star but the staff and the people we met made up for it. If you are looking to have a good time with nice people and you don't really care what your room looks, then this is the place to go. (the resort isn't that ugly or dirty its just really old fashioned and might find a lot of lizards here and there)
there was few canadians and argentinians at the resort and I met a lot of really nice people…and next thing I knew, I was booking a flight to Buenos Aires to go visit them again !!
The food was OK … the usual if your in Cuba. What I liked was that the food was almost available 24h-7 so you can eat basically whenever you want.
AND the best part of it , there was soccer every night at 7 with some locals and tourists.
I am going back next month !

3 Thank Alicouet
DGIberostarTainos, General Manager at IBEROSTAR Tainos, responded to this review, 21 January 2014
Dear Guest,

Thank you for your kind review of your recent stay at the Iberostar Tainos. It was our pleasure to learn that you had an enjoyable vacation.

We are happy to know that you are making plans to visit with us again. It would be our pleasure to serve you again.

Lancaster, United Kingdom
Reviewed 14 January 2014

My daughter and her partner wished to return to Tainos in April last year to marry there, so a group of us flew out. We had a warm welcome from all staff and individual help to find our bungalows.I had one to myself afar from the pool and so close to that amazing beach. The feeling of being safe, comfortable and in a most beautiful place on this planet was immediate for me. We ate like kings every day, drank gorgeous Cuban coffee and mohitos galore with superb waiter service from staff. The wedding was fantastic, cant mention the help from Giselle to the lady who ironed my dress, thank you,. Like many people ive been on holidays before but Tainos has one massive paradise factor. It is unique, its small and naturally matured, the sanded lamp lit at night half a minute walk to the beach is to die for.
I would love to go back.

Room Tip: loved being in the bungalow I had a stones throw from the ocean, away from the pool area
  • Stayed April 2013, travelled with family
3 Thank karon h
Dear guest,

First of all, Congratulations for your wedding!
Thank you for your generous review. We were happy to know that you had a wonderful vacation and we could provide all you needed for such a special moment as your wedding day.

It was our pleasure to have served you and we hope to welcome you once again.

Kind regards,
Monaghan, Ireland
Reviewed 12 January 2014

I stayed in this hotel in May 11 for 5 nights with my sister; check-in and check-out was very quick and smooth. The reception staff and hotel staff was polite, helpful and very friendly.
The hotel is very basic but clean and decorated with good taste. Rooms are spacious and comfortable but very outdated and the bedroom and bathroom could do with a good cleaning.

The food was delicious and we were surprised as to how many restaurants were at the resort. The drinks were good, but they spoiled a lot of them by giving too much alcohol. And some of them I couldn’t even consume. Being right on the beach was amazing there were so many activities to do on the beach. The view was outstanding.

The facilities are really nice, the pools and natural jungle typesetting really makes you feel like you have found a little piece of paradise. There are so many activities to do around the complex.

I would recommend this hotel and would stay here again.

3 Thank Mags200
Dear guest,

Thank you for taking the time to write a comment about our Iberostar Tainos on tripadvisor.com.

I am delighted to hear that you enjoyed your stay with us during your holidays and that you recommend our hotel to other travelers.

I hope to welcome you back soon.

Vienna, Austria
Reviewed 11 January 2014

We stayed at the Tainos again over the New Year, and it was just as nice and relaxing a holiday as last year. The food was really delicious again, the staff are friendly and agreeable, the animation is charming and never obtrusive.
In the middle of our two weeks we split for Vinales on our own (ended up in more or less bargain-price taxis as the Viazul buses proved to be booked out), which was equally nice even though the weather was against us on those days. I think it's important to see some of the real Cuba as well if one chooses to go to one of those resorts which are of course paradise by comparison, just to see that people "out there" are equally friendly and outgoing, never mind that the bus doesn't come for hours etc. (hey, you're on holidays!)

Room Tip: I hear that all the rooms are being renovated (if so, I didn't notice any works which would be a...
  • Stayed January 2014, travelled with family
5 Thank WernR
DGIberostarTainos, General Manager at IBEROSTAR Tainos, responded to this review, 16 January 2014
Dear Guest,

Thank you for sharing your comments to this web.
It is our pleasure to read you enjoyed your stay with us and also we will take your comments about the rooms as well so this situation will not repeat again.

We expect to have you back early in the Iberostar family.

Manitoba
Reviewed 9 January 2014

We stayed at the Tainos last year and will be returning in 2 weeks. If you are looking for a 5 star then book a 5 star. If you are looking for a casual, comfortable vacation, this is the place. The staff were absolutely fantastic, the food was good with lots of variety, the beach is amazing. The rooms were large and clean. We stayed in the main building, 3rd floor with an ocean view and we loved it.

• Stayed February 2013, travelled as a couple
8 Thank Dewaine
Dear guest,

I am very pleased to know you are coming back to stay at Iberostar Tainos once more. We are positive you will enjoy the hotel facilities as much as the year before.

I will be glad to meet you during your stay with us.

St.Walburg SK
Reviewed 7 January 2014

We have been to this resort for the last 3 years and will be returning again on February 8, 2014. The staff is amazing!! We are always treated like family. And that is the main reason we keep returning. Last year we brought our 2 children with us and Sandy, Yudel and Daylin were so good to them, always joking around and making them feel more than welcome.
Last year we stayed in the hotel part of the resort and was really comfortable there. Our safe was not working upon arrival but was rectified by the staff immediately. It was more convenient for us to stay in the hotel part as we didn't have far to walk when the kids were ready for bed. Our room was always kept very clean thanks to the great cleaning staff. Always fresh towels etc.
The buffet was always really good. There is so many different items to choose from. For all you picky eaters that say the food is terrible...DON"T GO ON VACATION!!!! There is always something for everyone at the buffet, from a fresh pasta bar to pizza to chicken and seafood. The Japanese A La Carte was awesome. The show they put on while cooking right in front of you on the grill was amazing. The kids were in awe. That was another thing. They played tricks on the kids with their food and kept them laughing. They talked about that for months after we returned home. The cuban A La Carte was really good as well. It was different from our Canadian cuisine which is the whole purpose of travelling abroad...getting to know the Cuban culture.
They were doing a few repairs to the fountain while we were there last year, which didn't bother us. However, there were of course people there that complained about the repairs....like really? What were they going to do? Swim in it? The resort grounds were always kept clean and tidy.

The staff around the pool and at the outdoor buffet were really good as well always keeping our drinks filled.
I would like to thank the staff at Iberostar Tainos for an amazing vacation for the last 3 years. You all seem like our own extended family! See you in a few weeks!!!

8 Thank Shelleen K
Dear guest,

Thank you for your valuable feedback on Trip Advisor regarding your visit to Iberostar Tainos. I was very pleased to read that you enjoyed our hotel facilities as much as at the other visits.

Allow me to reiterate our gratitude for choosing Iberostar Tainos and for taking the time to share your comments with us.

I look forward to welcome you back to Iberostar Tainos at the following month.