“Perfect Getaway”

Ranked #14 of 64 Hotels in Varadero
Medicine Hat, Canada
“Perfect Getaway”
Reviewed 8 February 2011

Stay at Paradisus for a week. Beautiful resort. family friendly, awesome beach, and quiet. The food at the buffet was ok, but the A La carte's made up for it. The nightly entertainment was ok, same as every other resort. Disco was quiet. This is a quiet resort, staff is amazing, and very helpful. Resort has the best Resort Spa i have ever been too! Has a huge pool! The beach is optional topless. Don't forget a WATERPROOF watch! The pictures do not do the Resort justice, beautiful. Best beach around!

• Stayed February 2011, travelled as a couple
sw1963, Director General at Paradisus Varadero Resort & Spa, responded to this review, 14 October 2013
Dear Client,
Thank you for choosing our hotel for your vacations. We are pleased to know that overall you have enjoyed our services. We will take your suggestions into consideration to keep improving day by day. We hope you can visit us again soon.
Our best regards from Paradisus Varadero

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (842)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Serbian first
  • Turkish first
Hamilton, Ontario, Canada
Reviewed 8 February 2011

We travelled to the Paradisus for a last-minute getaway on January 29, and we were very impressed with the service, the amenities, and the beauty of the resort. We were in "Royal Service" so we were truly treated like royalty. The service was top-notch and we were always taken care of. Thank you to Cesar, Serguay and Eldys, but a huge thank you to Lailama (I'm sorry if I spelled it wrong!) who was our Royal Service bartender. She went above and beyond to take care of us, and we truly appreciated that she helped make our trip such a great one. We were also pleasantly surprised by the quality of the food - great seafood, bread and pastries! Our stay was peaceful and lovely. Thank you!

1 Thank Debo33391
sw1963, Manager at Paradisus Varadero Resort & Spa, responded to this review, 16 February 2011
Hello Mr Debbo

We are really happy that Royal Service went over your expectations, and that you got impressed by the great service.All the staff you mention is wonderful and will be my pleasure to congratulate them,Thank you very much and we hope you come back in the near future.

Regards,
Mohamad Fawzi
General Manager.
Reviewed 8 February 2011

I am a 40 year old married women, my g/f is 40 and single. We just returned from this beautiful resort. back ground on us..I have travelled all over the world and have stayed in every type of lodging from a male bed and bath in Ireland, to the 4 Seasons Bora Bora.....I came with an open mind, but was pleasantly surprised right off the bat!
Arrival: get off the bus at 11ish bell boy takes suit case off bus, no need for me to shelp them..GREAT! Walking into outdoor lobby, all I can see is the beautiful beach! The lobby is beautiful and tastefully done...we are greeted and escorted to loungers complete with Mimosa's to check in. No standing in line at the desk, just warm friendly relaxing smiles!
After the paper work is completed we are told are rooms are ready and when ever we are, just go back to bell boy he will take us to our room! I am shocked as it is 11am. I have packed thinking I was napping on a lounger waiting for a room...Wrong!
Off to our room we go...the room is clean and well stocked..they even supply a sample size comfort kit with shampoo and soaps....there is a welcome bottle of rum on the table and beer soft drinks water in the fridge... they restock daily 2 of each..if you need more you just ask....
as the week goes on we often call down for more beer and sometimes a bottle of white wine...no problem! It can take up to 45 mins for it to arrive..but hey your on Island time! Front desk always calls to ensure you have received your requested item! (as for the wine..it is from Argentina and not bad for quaffing wine...an other pleasant surprise would never normally drink wine in an all inclu.)
The maids do a wonderful job...our room was always clean, sheets changed, and towels changed daily....Ok here is were it gets a bit grey...I say clean.I mean "down south" clean. I could still find hairs in the bathroom after she left, but hey they were mine who's cares....it just wasn't say Ritz 5 star but for all the horror stories I hear about it was clean in my books!
The food was good..I was shocked! All I have ever heard about was how bad Cuba is for food....not here! I had lots of fresh foods salads and grilled meats....the breads are to die for! I couldn't help but have some every meal, and in fact often took some back to room for eve snack, as we eat supper late at 930. If you want to eat at the resturants, you need to reserve when you arrive ....they have a desk set up for this in the lobby. You can eat as little or as often as you like there, unlike other resorts where one or two time s are included.

The beach and pool are beautiful...both are huge and have lots of little spaces to make you feel like your in your own private place. I never felt crowed, it felt exclusive! Now with that said, if you like action, we also found that closer to the beach bar..take a chair there and you can hear the music, play volley ball, have a dance lesson or just meet some new friends to have a drink with! We walked the beach for 2 hours passing alot of other resorts and this place hands down has the nicest part of the beach. I know this sounds odd, I had read it before I had left too and thought how can the same beach/ocean be better in spots..it can, and it is....it is wider, cleaner twice the size as any other resort we passed and the ocean is calmer here are well.
The bar staff are great! We spent alot of time in the lobby bar in the eve's. There is a disco on site and NO one uses it...so if you are looking for late night fun dancing, forget it! We left the resort a few times late at night to go dancing....this is easy to do and very safe! the front desk will get you a cab! We did find, most clubs are for younger people and decided we should just stick to drinking and chatting in our lobby bar.
I am not a fan of "shows" so I can not really comment on them here, other than to say, everyone seemed to be enjoying them and most nights it appeared post show, the staff would get people up dancing for an hour or so....I did see part of the water show and that was impressive...
I like a firm bed, but I found these to beds to hard, but after reading hundreds of reviews on different resorts, I am guess this is just a reality here.
At the foot of the resort off the highway is a national park. For 3p you can take a self guided tour. It is about an hour or more hike (stopping for pictures) through the woods....the rocks are rough coral in spots makes sure you have on good foot wear. It is worth it and beautiful in there...Really cool caves too! You come out about 10 mins away from where you started..they forgot to tell us that....you are on the highway.turn left you will reach the resort road!
The hop on hop off bus you can get at the end of resort road is also a good deal and easy to figure out. While waiting for it, a tour (type) bus pulled up we hopped on for 2p each he dropped us off on 1st ave.
1st ave is "down town" Varadero. We spend a few days wandering around there, eating, shopping and having drinks at various beach bars... It is very safe and people are lovely...here is wear I gave out alot of the little things we brought..soaps, lighters and the likes.....as I bought something, I would just ask Do you need some thing and most of the time it was received with well wishes and warm smiles.
Unlike other places I have been, Cubans are not pushy. No hard sale here...feel free to look around shop and don't be afraid to strike up conversation. The people are wonderful!
here's what to bring......needed it one day (no big deal)
SUN SCREEN (expensive on resort)
TRAVEL MUG (cups are very small, your own mug will be a blessing never mind keeping the sand out and saving you trips. also bring a small pill bottle of dish soap to wash out your mug at the end of the night. They will rinse it but only with water...I washed mine nightly in my room.

BUG SPRAY ( we didn't need it..but read sometimes do. must be a time of year thing...better safe than sorry I say)

FREBREEZE ( i found that everything started to smell musty after a while..I have a small travel bottle of frebreeze to freshen up things....)

Items For staff ( this is a personal thing we brought "gifts for the staff" soaps travel size shampoo tooth brushes pens and so on...daily we left 2 p and gifts on the bed for the maid.....she made wonderful sculptures out of the bed spreads. On the last day she left us a wonderful note thanking us for everything we gave her and welcoming us back next year. next time I will bring more things that men would enjoy...think dollar store.

Immodium...we drank the bottled water most of the time, but while sitting at lobby bar I did drink water from the gun. We each had one day we needed immodium, glad we had it. It worked! We were fine!

My two complaints:
All the tours go to the Dolphin jail. I have O interest in interacting with penned up Dolphins...I think it is cruel. However to each his own, I just could not find an off resort water tour that did not end up there...
Second issue as staff walk around resort they have no way of communicating with each other so they yell! It's annoying...
That's it for negatives.....
All in all I loved it, and will be back! next time I will try Royal Service side with my husband..looks really romantic over there!

• Stayed February 2011, travelled with friends
3 Thank Lucyluvschuck
residentmanagerPVA, Director General at Paradisus Varadero Resort & Spa, responded to this review, 18 October 2013
Dear Mr & Mrs
Thank you very much for your lovely review, by the sounds of it you had a great time! We are happy to read that you enjoyed the resort and our service.
sudury, ontario
Reviewed 8 February 2011

Can't believe anyone could find anything to complaint about at this resort.
People/staff were gracious, courteous, interesting, cheerful, and helpful. All personnel from the gardeners to the manager went out of their way to please and to ensure that your stay was everything expected.
Food at the buffet was typical of buffet food great selection and variety. Food was prepared as you requested so if you felt that the food was too cold in the warmers then you could always get the cook to cook something up for you.
Royal service was out of this world and well worth the upgrade.
The hotel had trouble with hot water in our room we were only able to get hot water one night out of the vacation however, staff tried to accommodate us and people were desperately trying to recify the problem.
that didn't interfere with our vacation as everything else made up for it.

• Stayed January 2011, travelled as a couple
residentmanagerPVA, Director General at Paradisus Varadero Resort & Spa, responded to this review, 15 December 2013
Dear Client
Manchester, United Kingdom
Reviewed 6 February 2011

From the moment we arrived for our 3 week trip we were delighted with the friendly and efficient staff from everyone. They all had a smile and wave and hello. The food was superb, the rooms were clean and large, beds comfy,good showers etc.
Attention to detail was everwhere and the food carvings were outstanding. The bar staff were excellent at keeping your glasses 'topped up' and even remembered your favourite tipple.
Special thanks has to go to the General Manager Mohamed who was never too busy to talk to you also the girls at the pool restaurant in particular Haidely who was a treasure.
It was well worth the initial cost of this holiday and we will be taking our friends and returning again as soon as possible. There is also lots to do and the beach is wonderful.
Thank you to everyone at the hotel for a perfect holiday.

1 Thank janettejan8
Dear Mr & Mrs
Litomerice, Czech Republic
Reviewed 4 February 2011

beatiful place and hotel and beach super foof a drink veryy clean my room

• Stayed January 2011, travelled on business
1 Thank machacek
Macclesfield, United Kingdom
Reviewed 4 February 2011

Beautiful spacious hotel. Well laid out with established palm trees affording lots of shade both round the swimming pool and on the beach. Rooms very comfortable (junior suites) with king size beds. Food from buffet excellent as were the four 'A La Carte' restaurants. Plenty of lobster. The beach was paradise - best we have seen, especially when the sea is calm. Pelicans come daily to snack on sardines.
Upgrade to Royal Service took us to new levels of service and quality. Primarily the rooms were fantastic and plush - 5 star level without doubt. Great attention to detail - you didn't need to lift a finger, similarly round the swimming pool. It was effortlessly peaceful and quiet. Wonderful 1st class 'A La Carte' restaurant for breakfast, lunch and Dinner. There were improvements being made every day - planting new trees, benches to sit, generally upddating and painting everywhere. In this section they cannot do enough for you. All the staff very friendly. Sad to leave.

3 Thank Cooper003
sw1963, Manager at Paradisus Varadero Resort & Spa, responded to this review, 6 February 2011
Hello from Paradisus

Thank you very much for your review and for sharing your great experience in Paradisus Varadero with all the people that visit this website.
It´s really rewarding to read such a nice comments about our daily work, our staff is 100 percent committed and we try to improve our hotel and our service everyday, in spite all the things you mention, we are also making a lof of improvements in the rooms, like renewing all the furniture and this is an issue that clients really appreciate.
Will be a pleasure if you decide to come again in the future.

Best regards,