1,662 results
All reviews playa de oro jean luc bbq lunch live band spanish coffee house band pool games hot sauce small resort entertainment staff pool view the cuban a la carte amazing beach every evening magic show beach buffet the grill
Reviewed 22 January 2018

We were here in Nov. 2017. It's small, but really nice. The pool is great for kids. Starts shallow and gets deeper. The storm did a number on it, but they are trying to get it fixed up. The hall ways and rooms need help though. But after the hurricane, you would expect that. The food was ok, nothing to write home about. Check out the pool restaurant during the day. Great hamburgs. We didn't go to the buffet for lunch, just went to the pool restaurant. Went to one a la cart. Nothing special. The beach is AMAZING! All the staff are friendly and helpful.

Room tip: It's a room where you sleep. We don't spend time in the room. Ask for a view of the pool, really nice.
Date of stay: November 2017
  • Trip type: Travelled with family
3  Thank Copper616
Reviewed 22 January 2018

Tried hard to find something good about this hotel but it didn't happen. Housekeeping, below average, housekeeper changed towels and made bed, that's it. Hot water was non existent, luke warm at best. Staff was not helpful and friendly, finding information was as fun as having a tooth pulled. No info on hotel, had to go to front desk six times for everything. Sunwing suggested a late check out for a fee, as our flight out was 330 am. Well we tried to book it, come back on last day. Last day no check out available even though we witnessed about 100 people checking in after 11pm. Instead they offered a standard room to change and shower. That was a fiasco. We couldn't book it, so we waited over 2 hours. Another customer was just as unhappy. Food was average after you stood in line usually 20 minutes for hot food. Everything else was cold. Dining room was busy and all too often we had to come back because it was full. When you found a seat, there was no plates. When there was no plates, they didn't replenish buffet so you got scraps. Bar ran out of mojitos???? Instead of finding more, they just said, we are out. You had to go to a specific bar for specific stuff. One didn't have coffee, the other didn't have lemonade. Sounds petty but it was a recurring theme over and over. Was told we could buy a bottle of scotch at the bar on the last day open 24 hours, then told only til 10 pm when we went at 10:30. Entertainment was quite good and really enjoyed the coffee bar. Weather was lousy, and maybe had it been nice, we would not have been so unhappy about everything else. Our hotel room door rarely worked despite having someone look at it 4 times. It took on average 9 times to open, and a serious hip check. Also felt like you had to grease everyone's palm to get some service. We were tipping, but didn't seem to influence the service. Even the band solicited tips. Probably won't be going back to Cuba, and definitely will not return to this hotel.

2  Thank moronica
Reviewed 22 January 2018

First off, we had pretty bad weather, so that sort of put us in a sour mood. So take this with a grain of salt.

We stayed at this resort from December 31- January 7.

This was our first time in Cuba, and we had heard very mixed reviews, from both this resort, and Cuba in general. So we went in with very little expectations.

The resort is very run down and dated. It was expected, but not that bad. The buffet has quite a bit to choose from, however it didn't change from day to day. The food was actually better than I was expecting. We did the Cuban a la carte and it was nice. 3 or 4 different meals to choose from. I found the drinks were very inconsistent, no matter which bartender you went to. The drink selections were also pretty limited. They didn't know how to make a long island iced tea or a mai tai. They have no slushie drinks.

The coffee bar was nice, however I think they only had hot chocolate for mocha's two of the seven days we were there.

The lobby is nice and open. However it was very windy while we there, and the wind came into the lobby. There was two urinals in the men's washroom and they were out of order our entire trip (and I read a review from before we were there and saw it that was mentioned, so who knows how long it's been). You must purchase wifi and it is only usable in the lobby. Seemed to work ok.

The rooms were pretty average, our bed was hard as a rock. Smelt kind of funny, but you grew accustomed to it. Room was cleaned every day, maids did a great job. The A/C runs full blast constantly, so if you want it off, you need to turn of the breaker.

The nightly shows were good. Probably the best part of the resort actually.

The beach is great.

Ernesto, our Sunwing rep, helped us get into Matanzas to catch a baseball game even though they didn't have a package for it. He was awesome the entire trip.

All in all. We are a couple in our 20's, we went to relax and have some drinks. We went in with no expectations, and we were still let down. I wouldn't recommend staying here.

• Trip type: Travelled as a couple
Reviewed 22 January 2018 via mobile

I stayed at Playa De Oro from Jan 13-20. It’s not as disgusting as some people say, but it wasn’t amazing either. The rooms are very run down, elevators are slow, AC can’t be lowered and can only be turned off by its breaker. Shower has no water pressure and hardly any hot water. Our room door didn’t open or close properly and the patio door didn’t lock at all. Food is just ok, always cold, meat is always dry.

But the personnel is very nice, the entertainment is good, coffee bar is great, the beach is beautiful (it was so cold when I went that we didn’t get to swim at all). Honestly my biggest complaint about my week was the weather. It was gray, cold and windy, but that’s not the hotel’s fault. So I would go back to this hotel, knowing what to expect.

Trip type: Travelled with family
1  Thank lizamuffy
Reviewed 17 January 2018 via mobile

My wife and I returned home from this resort yesterday morning. I have to say with all certainty, we will be returning as soon as possible. We had stayed here 1 year ago and had a nice time, so we decided to return. I am very glad we did. From the moment we arrived, we were given FIRST CLASS service. The reception was warm, and the bellhop was prompt and helpful shoeing is to our room 1414. The room was basic, but had a king sized bed, and was very clean. And our housekeeper made sure it stayed that way through the entirety of our vacation. There was always notes waiting for us from her, and it was almost exciting to see which way she folded our towels and blankets for us when we would return, as she did it differently each day. (Swans and roses, etc.) The bar staff was very friendly and served everyone quickly and with a smile ( despite the majority of people being drunk dummies ) Special mention to Ario at the pool bar. Great guy. The coffee lounge was always busy and for good reason. Man, I wish I could have one of those amazing Lattes right now. We had great weather nearly all week, and the beach is so beautiful I wouldn't have believed it if I hadn't seen it with my own eyes. The sun is hot, the pool is cold, and contrary to what people have said, the food was delicious. I certainly never went hungry, and the variety at each meal was impressive. Our A La Carte meal was great in Varadero 1887.
Last, but not least, the shining star of this resort is part of the buffet staff. We had met Tony last year and he had really impressed us then. He always has a big smile, and seems to really enjoy making people happy. I was speechless when we walked in for dinner and he recognized us nearly immediately. Something about this man makes you feel like you've been friends your whole life. His section is always full, every table having a great time. He truly goes above and beyond for his guests. We can't wait to go back to this resort. And we tell everyone we know going to Cuba that this is the place to go. Everyone that has taken our advice has told us how right we were. I promise you, if you are planning to see Cuba, you won't regret Playa De Oro.

Date of stay: January 2018
Trip type: Travelled as a couple
7  Thank Dan D