“Very Enjoyable Resort”

Ranked #12 of 64 Hotels in Varadero
Ontario, Canada
“Very Enjoyable Resort”
Reviewed 28 February 2013

I am a big follower of Trip Advisor prior to going to any resort. The Melia Las Antillas reviews seemed to be either good or bad, and I was a bit worried before going there. As it turned out, most of my concerns were not a problem. My wife and I have travelled to the Carribean almost every winter for the past 38 years so have a fair number of resorts to compare. We would return to this property.

This trip however started out on a sour note in Toronto. We had boarded the Sun Wing plane for a 6:10 am departure, headed up the runway, then the pilot announced there was a computer glitch and we had to return to the gate. Thankfully we were allowed to leave the plane and return to the waiting area...where we waited for four hours for repairs. Trust me, it's better to be inside the airport rather than waiting on the plane.

When we finally landed at the Varadero Airport, I was very impressed with the airport and the smooth exit to our awaiting bus to take us to the resort. In many reviews I have read about the Melia Las Antillas there were many negative comments about the Front Desk staff. I have to agree. There were only 2 couples registering, they knew were were late, and yet there was much confusion and not any smiles.
The room we were assigned was in one of the Villas, #6432 which means Villa #64 on the 3rd floor. We had a view of palm trees, it was very quiet and close to the pool and dining areas. No elevators in the Villas.

You have likely read may reviews about the rooms, so won't spend time on them, except to say they all have the same layout, and even on the 5th Floor..the superior are the same. Checked out the view from the 5th Floor, and not worth the extra money to see a tiny strip of ocean.
The pool has two sides, one quiet, one more action. Lots of chairs, but if you want one with a thatched umbrella and table, get up early and get your towels on the chairs.
Bar choices were fine, but if you are a Rye drinker...bring your own. The wines were to our tastes.

Lunch every day at the Pool Bar. Great cheeseburgers and fries!!
Overall, found the food to be very good.
Took a trip to Havana. We liked the private air conditioned car choice, booked through the Sun Wing Rep, so no worries. Ask for Yadir Conde Prieto. He was fantastic ! Took us to a wonderful restaurant for lunch called La Casa Restaurante. I will be doing a seperate review of the restaurant.
In conclusion, you won't be disappointed with Melia Las Antillas!

If you have an extra 30 pesos per person....arrange for the VIP Lounge at the airport prior to your departure,done with the Sun Wing Rep at the hotel. Another Sun Wing rep met us at the airport,and took us to the front of the line for luggage and looked after taking our $25 per person departure tax avoiding the long line ups. Then we went to the VIP lounge and had food and booze at no extra charge. There they let us know when we had to baord the plane. So worth it !!

Feel free to send me any questions about Melia Las Antillas.

Room Tip: We liked being in the Villas. Villa 64 numbers were good. Quiet and close to dining and pool.
6 Thank OlaOntario
Fabrizio T, Director General at Melia Las Antillas, responded to this review, 4 March 2013
Dear guest,
We are glad to know that after meeting so many resorts in the Caribbean, you choose Melia Las Antillas and was for you and your wife a very enjoyable resort.
Thanks for all your references about the services and facilities you could enjoyed and for the feedback about our staff. Also we are going to check your comments with the front desk staff.
It is a pleasure for us you consider to return to Melia Las Antillas and it would be an honor to meet you personally the next time.
Fabrizio Testoni

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (616)
  • Finnish first
  • Hungarian first
  • Polish first
  • Serbian first
  • Slovak first
  • Turkish first
Vancouver, Canada
Reviewed 27 February 2013

No problem with the rooms as they were all clean & spacious. The pool facility is equally nice & clean. We really wanted to try one of the restaurants as the buffet was average. We tried to make a reservation at any of the 3 restaurants but no one told us that you had to book almost immediately when you check in so all three were booked up solidly during our week long stay. The beach in Varadero is beautiful and this hotel is along a beautiful stretch of it.

• Stayed November 2012, travelled with friends
6 Thank Carol P
Fabrizio T, Director General at Melia Las Antillas, responded to this review, 28 February 2013
Dear guest,
Thanks for sharing your experience at the Meliá Las Antillas on this site.
We are glad you enjoyed your stay and especially the beautiful beach area.
We thank you for your time to write these positive comments and encourage you to visit us for the second time.
General Manager.
Canada/Mexico
Reviewed 27 February 2013

This was our first time to Cuba, but we have been to Mexico many times before. The Melia Las Antillas was beautiful. The staff here are all very friendly and willing to go out of their way to make your stay perfect. The hotel is older, but clean and well maintained. The rooms are so-so, but we don't spend much time in our room except to sleep, so it didn't bother us. We found that if we showered in the morning, it was fine, but later in the afternoon, the water tempature would fluctuate. The food was alright, better then expected for the first time to Cuba. A friend with us ate a lot of the shrimp one night and got sick. The Italian restaraunt was excellent. There is a snack bar that is open 24 hours, however late at night the only thing available is burgers (which are pretty good). The beach was beautiful and clean. There is no swim up bar. Our only complaint was that we were kicked out of our room at noon the day before we left (our flight left at 4:30 in the morning), so from noon Sunday until our bus picked us up at 1am on Monday we didn't have a room..... This wasn't a huge problem for us because we had friends staying longer, so we hijacked their room to put our stuff in and shower, but we did talk to the front desk staff and manager and they were quite rude and not willing to work with us at all to get a room for the night. One other thing, they didn't have a lot of options for drinks... We asked for a few drinks on the menu, but it seemed they never had the right ingredients to make them, we mostly stuck to rum and coke, or beer the entire time. Other then that the trip was awesome.

4 Thank Canada_MexicoBlondie
Dear guest,
We are delighted to know that your trip to Meliá Las Antillas resulted in an awesome experience.
Thank you for choosing us on your first visit to Cuba and Varadero, and for referring the friendliness and professionalism of our staff. We regret your inconvenience regarding the check out on departure. As we have explained, check out is at noon, but we always offer the opportunity to our customers to keep the room with an additional cost (subjected to availability).
It would be our pleasure to receive you for a second time.
Coteau-du-Lac, null, Canada
Reviewed 26 February 2013

Nice Hotel, Very nice staff, Room are spacious nice and clean.
Food is normal cuba.
Drinks, well if you want it, they will make it.
Gardens are beatiful.
Great night entertainment.
Beach is really nice and long to walk. Water is great as its not deep.

• Stayed July 2012, travelled as a couple
5 Thank Tiffany C
Fabrizio T, Director General at Melia Las Antillas, responded to this review, 26 February 2013
Dear guest,
We want to thank you for your positive comments and for sharing with us all the beautiful photos you took during your stay at the Melia Las Antillas.
Thanks for being part of our family and we invite you to enjoy a second stay with us in the near future.
Calgary, Canada
Reviewed 25 February 2013

The Negatives - Purchased the oceanview room, couldn't see the ocean whatsoever. The view of this room was of the pond in the courtyard. Dinner reservations are 2 days in advance, which is unacceptable to me. It took us 3 days to get an extra non feather pillow (which they said they had according to the advertising in the room). The bed was hard as a box spring. Front desk staff and dinner reservation girl were disgustingly rude and were constantly side tracked when speaking to them. Flight was at 3:20 am, bus came to pick us up at 11:45 pm, we had to check out of the hotel at 3pm with no where to go, no where to shower or clean up.
The Positives - couple nice resort workers, the pool and the resort cats.
If you want any luxury, don't stay here.

Room Tip: In my opinion, the upgraded rooms in not worth it.
  • Stayed February 2013, travelled with friends
1 Thank Stephanie L
Dear guest,
Thanks for your time to share your recent experience at our hotel.
We regret that we have not lived up to your expectations. Check out at the hotel for guests of the sea view rooms as you refer is at 15:00 hrs, however, always subject to availability at the time, we offer the opportunity to stay in the room for an extra charge. It also calls our attention your comments about the front desk and dinner reservations staff, because normally we received very good comments about the friendliness and professionalism of them. However we will closely review all the details submitted by you.
It would be great you to give us a second chance and if so please feel free to contact us directly.
Grimsby
Reviewed 25 February 2013

My Husband and I fly out Feb 15-22 via Sunwing. No issues, great flight and got to and from the resort without any problem.

The hotel is truly what we expedited. It was in need of work but overall it was completely fine for us.

Over the course of our stay they began repair on the walkway to the beach. So they are doing small upgrades here and there. They seem to be light staffed Friday, Saturday and Sunday so not much gets done on these days.

Upon arrival we did opt for the upgrade.

For $20 a night this is what you will really get:
1. 3 bottles of booze (2 rum, 1 scotch), rum is $2.85 in the store downstairs. The fridge is not stocked the day after you arrive. (they need to change this) saves you asking about it.

2. 2 bath robes

3. Concierge service – they will book a la carts, they have liquor in there room but no pop or juice(we never took advantage of this), 1 computer in this room (nice to have this so no waiting to use the internet), snack in this room all day (not very good) but I guess good to have.

4. Better chairs on the balcony (plastic to metal really)

5. Oceanview, it’s no close enough the water to hear the waves or see them.
You can decide for yourself if it’s worth it but for us. I think it was too much extra money on top of the $2900 we paid for the trip for how little you received.

Pool – clean and large
Beach – wonderful sand
Tennis – rackets good and balls fine. We enjoyed this.
Ping Pong – fine paddles and balls
Volleyball – Ball is rubber and hurts, bring your own if you really want to play.
A la carts – lobster at the romantic and grill, don’t waste your time on the Italian one (they made bruschetta out of a slice of bread and a few tomatoes.
Buffet: I loved it. omlete station in and smoothie station in the morning, Lunch was fresh fish and or pasta and dinner was pizza, grilled, pasta. Those are just the stations. There lots of cheese, fruit, buffet like food, antipasta items. I never went hungry.
Bars: Lobby (24hr) – best coffee and drinks
Beach (not really but close to it) (10am open) – slush drink are not good here but everything else is fine
pool (10am open) - slush drink are not good here but everything else is fine

The amenities are the same everywhere and the quality of the resort is about a 4 star not 4 ½.

Day trip – catamaran. Great trip and worth the money.

If you are just leaving to go to this resort you will have a fine time, there nothing at this resort that would make you really hate it. I just think we all expect more than what Cuba can offer sometimes.

As a side note: It’s been 3 years since I was last in Cuba. Things seem to have changed a bit. They seem to ask for tips a lot now and I never remember this from our last trip. Make sure you get lots of little bills. I do hate tipping for good service but it seems like the norm there now.

Airport – I do think the airports scales are different than Canadians. Our bags were about 6 kg heavier than when we left… not sure how as we brought virtually nothing back. $20 per kg over and they will hold you to this so be careful. Try to be way less then 20kg.

Overall a good trip but pretty expensive when we calculated it all upon our return. About $4000 overall.

Room Tip: Room 5133 was quite.
5 Thank GrimsbySummer2013
Dear guest,
Thank you for taking some of your valuable time to share your recent experience at the Melia Las Antillas.
We are pleased to know you enjoyed a great stay for a week and went pleased with the facilities and services we offer.
Thanks for highlighting the renovation work that we are carrying out in order to give all customers a better product.
It would be an honor to receive you for a second time in our hotel.
Montreal, Canada
Reviewed 24 February 2013

Just arrived from a week stay at this hotel. I can tell you I had high expectations after staying in the Melia Las Americas and not to mention other Melia resort through out the region. The food was a hit or miss as was the service at the restaurants and bar. Room were clean and at a good location. Quite and clean. Coffee machine is useless unless you have coffee. We brought our own as I had read here on trip advisor that they did not provide. I asked the maid every day for lots of water and coffee as I knew I would run out of coffee before I left. It wasn't until the last couple of days that I found out that it's the person who fills the fridge that provides coffee. I called the service desk to ask for enough coffee for a couple of days. 2 hours later no coffee so decided to go to the customer service desk to ask. I was pissed. I mean after all I am not asking for much just coffee that should be provided with the price I paid to stay for a week. They finally gave me enough for 1 cup. The next day I went again and I was not impressed. Finally last night we got our coffee. Did I also mention we had to ask for toilet paper? like really. Morning we left we noticed a sign outside the hotel that indicated the goverment of Cuba had taken over the hotel. That is why the hotel runs out of things. Had I know I would of not booked at this hotel. Check out was weird. I gave in my room cards , key for the safe and card for towels and girl takes them and walks away leaving me wonder if I needed to sign something. I went back a short while back to ask if there was anything I needed to do before I left. Lets just say I didn't get a thank you for staying here.
Postive is the beach and the entertainment at the hotel and the people I met from Canada. Got to say the European need to lighten up , really have their noses up there and rude.
Would I return to this hotel? NO. Would I recommend this hotel ? NO.
This is only been my experience and opinion.
Overall I still had a good relaxing time fun.
I want to thank Dee for his great company. He is part of the entertainment team.

Room Tip: Stay in the Bungalows 65 quite area close to all.
  • Stayed February 2013, travelled with family
1 Thank marenko
Dear guest,
We want to thank you for your time in sharing your recent stay at the Melia Las Antillas.
We are pleased to know that at the end of your holiday you had a good and fun relaxing time but we regret not having met entirely your expectations. We will check all the details mentioned by you with the different departments.
We invite you to consider again a next stay with us and we would be happy if you contact us directly.