“Great resort, a safe bet!”
Review of Melia Las Antillas

Melia Las Antillas
Ranked #11 of 65 Hotels in Varadero
Calgary, Canada
“Great resort, a safe bet!”
Reviewed 5 April 2014

We stayed at this resort from Mar 29-Apr 5, we flew Sunwing and have nothing but good things to say about them! We paid for the upgraded superior package and feel it was probably worth it. Our room was on the 5th floor with a superior ocean view, the room was upgraded and clean. We got in at 4am and we got a room immediately. Marlin the day maid was fantastic, as was Betsy who did our turn down service. The ladies in the concierge lounge made things happen. Generally we got our water and mini bar stocked daily but by the end they were getting lax, either concierge or the front desk fixed the problem quickly. Since we got in early the room wasn't ready for us, but by 10am that morning the bar was stocked, the welcome drinks were in the room, and the beach towels awaited us.
Sure some of the hotel was dated, but overall it was pretty beautiful, clean, and the people were pretty friendly. Not as chatty as I would have assumed from other reviews. Drinks were plentiful, with almost too much alcohol in them!!!
The grounds were fantastic, the pool nice and clean, the beach FANTASTIC!! Always room, people willing to help with loungers, etc.. The beach bar/grill was a nice touch.
The food was ok. There was enough selection to always find something, but it was always cold. The al la cartes I could take or leave, we only really enjoyed the Italian one - maybe because it was actually hot! but no one was sick, and there was a variety so no complaints!
It's an adults only resort, but I didn't realize it would be such an older crowd, with us being younger than 40 it felt a little too quiet, which also has it's pros. If you are looking for nightlife take a quick bus or cab ride into Varadero, very safe and fun!
If you want a clean hotel, with safe food, and a beautiful beach, this is the resort for you!
It's hard to say if it was worth the $1700 CDN per person, but to get a clean room, decent food, and a great first time to Cuba then I am ok with it.
We took the Jeep Safari, Catamaran tour, and the Havana trip with Tropicana show - all worth the money.
Only complaint about Cuba? The bathrooms OFF the resort. Not only do you have to pay to use the washroom, you pay for toilet paper and more often than not, there is NO toilet seat. Bring your own tissue, wet wipes and hand sanitizer.
Overall a PERFECT experience... and to top if off, I got engaged. Couldn't have asked for a better week. Thank you Melia Las Antillas.

Room Tip: We had the superior ocean view package, make sure to ask for the 5th floor for the premium ocean vie...
1 Thank Kim C
Francisco S, Director General at Melia Las Antillas, responded to this review, 11 April 2014
Dear guest,
Thank you for your valuable feedback on Trip Advisor regarding your recent visit to Meliá Las Antillas
We are very glad you enjoyed all the services we provide for all our guest, our grounds with, the beautiful beach, the pool area, restaurants, food selection and the concierge services at the upper floors.
It is certainly a very nice and helpful review and we want to thank you one more time to share it with us.
We took note about the bathrooms and we assure you that we are carrying on some actions to solve it.
Thanks for recommending us and we hope to receive you again.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (623)
  • Finnish first
  • Hungarian first
  • Polish first
  • Serbian first
  • Slovak first
  • Turkish first
Corner Brook, Canada
Reviewed 4 April 2014

My husband and I stayed at the Melia Las Antillas for the second time in two years. This year, we were accompanied by my brother and his wife, first-time visitors to Cuba. Visited there from March 18 – 25. What a wonderful trip! We LOVE this resort. Beautiful grounds, spacious rooms, great staff. Our room, located on the 3rd floor of the hotel with a view of the pool area, was kept very clean, and we received 2 bottles of water per day, as requested.

One negative comment: The service in the buffet/dining room was lacking this year. Several times, we had to wait for utensils, napkins and/or beverages, even when there weren’t many people there. And, yes, we tipped for every meal. This is the ONLY negative comment about this visit.

Newly discovered this year: Norbert’s beach grill – fantastic burgers and kebobs; Roberto’s Mojitos; Coke and Sprite in the gift shop – didn’t know about this last year; The 70’s show; real French fries; Banana Mamas for my sister-in-law.

Food: Our favorites were the breakfasts, beach burgers and kebabs, pool restaurant burgers, hotdogs and French fries; lunchtime pizza (excellent service!!), fried fish and delicious sides for supper in the buffet.

Weather: Arrived to rain and humid conditions but after that, gorgeous blue skies, sunshine and lovely breezes.

Vacation Friends: Met some wonderful people this year – Murven & Peggy, Bedford and Brenda, Sue and Howard. An honorable mention to Val and Rebecca and their two friends from Calgary, plus Chantelle from Ottawa. Had we been staying longer, we so would definitely have partied with these ladies but we met them too late in the trip!

Excursion: This was my second time doing the Catamaran trip, and a first for my husband, brother and sister-in-law. It was a great day; however, we have decided that when we return to Cuba, we will look into booking a boat for a private excursion. I would love to receive more information on this.

Staff: I know I am forgetting the names of some great staff but I have to note the following – Junesky, bartender at the Beach Bar (so professional, courteous and friendly…and very easy on the eyes :) ); Candido, Pool Restaurant and a la carter server extraordinaire (we weren’t going to do an a la carte but once he recognized my husband and I from last year, we just had to do it); Tatiana and Lachey, bartenders at the Pool Bar (Tatiana is so very caring and lovely. Made sure I was feeling okay one day when I was just a bit tired and quiet. Be sure to ask Lachey for a Lachey’s special – potent and delicious!).

Guests at the Antillas should make a point to visit Laura’s Leathers en route to the beach. What a special, unique woman she is – beautiful inside and out. Had the privilege of meeting her son, Ernesto, as well. Both made sure we promised to return to her kiosk a day or so later as they wanted to give the 4 of us gifts!

Return trip: As with my previous two trips to the airport, I was expecting chaos, noise and a lot of people. What a pleasant surprise!! We were through baggage check, airport tax payment, picture taking process, security and seated in the boarding area eating ham and cheese sandwiches within 30-40 minutes of arriving at the airport! I don’t know if this was a coincidence or if the buses are being scheduled at different times for the convenience of passengers and airport workers.

The four of us totally understand why this resort gets so many repeat customers. Why would we stay at another hotel in Varadero when the Melia Las Antillas offers EVERYTHING we need during our vacation? We sincerely hope to return next year. Some of the staff is starting to feel like friends, and we miss our friends….

4 Thank Marilyn_B_M
Dear guest,
We were delighted to read that you love your second stay at Meliá Las Antillas and that you could invite your brother and his wife in this trip.
We are happy to know that you liked the new idea of the BBQ at the beach area, and also the Mojito´s Bar with Roberto (Mojitos´s King).
Thank you for taking part of your valuable time to share all your impressions and we will waiting for you the next year, maybe with new surprises!
Brampton, Canada
Reviewed 2 April 2014

It's been several times that I stay to this Mélià Las Antillas : beach is great very clean, rooms are also clean mattress are very comfortable. Everybody at the resort are very professional, polite.AND Most of all They remember YOU !!! Since I'm a Repeat Guest….The food is very Good lots variety. If you want a vacation peace and quiet very good place, as well if you want party go to the Pool lots activities. This new BBQ next to the beach very good idea that the resort had. Wish that they put some washrooms closer to the beach….Had lots of relaxing time….

Room Tip: I strongly Suggest that you go on Wed site to be a membership of MÉLIÀ It's free, and you can ha...
  • Stayed March 2014, travelled solo
2 Thank JO'ANNE L
Francisco S, Director General at Melia Las Antillas, responded to this review, 4 April 2014
Dear guest,
We are happy to know you always come back to Meliá Las Antillas. Thank you for all your positive comments, and for mention the professionalism of the staff. It´s good you like the BBQ next to the beach area, thanks for mention it.
It would be a pleasure for us to welcome you again at the Melia Las Antillas
Bucharest, Romania
Reviewed 2 April 2014

We arrived at Melia around 5 PM and after a 40 minutes wait they gave us our room in one of the bungalows. It was a big room, spatious, and with a decent sized balcony. We sat in the bed and noticed that the decorative pillows and bed cover was smelling like sweat....so I guess they dont wash those (i'd recomend you keep them off your bed and out of sight while you are staying there.
Each day when we came back from the beach we noticed the cleaning lady did not change our bed linens, she just rearanged them to seem like new (one day we even marked one of the pillow sheets to see if it got changed. there was no daily refreshment of the minibar, we were always counting on a bottle of cold water when we came from the beach, but we had to always call the reception and let them know the cleaning lady did not refill the minibar.
The hotel overall is a bit dated, and it's a shame (dirty windows, dirty barthroooms, broken lobby toilets, old ceilings with cracks, of course they dont bother you overall, but I have to say this, Melia Las Antillas is right on the probably most beautiful beach portions in Varadero, and with such a location it's quite a shame they are ruining the experience with their lack of professionalism and their reluctance to invest just a bit more so that the average tourist doesnt say in the end "nice, but a bit too expensive for what they offer).
Another thing I noticed is the fact that the staff is also a bit too slick and rude by now. We were a young european couple that is not used to tip EVERYONE for ANYTHING. Of course we noticed that the waiters and cleaning ladies were not so polite or didnt have a large smile when they served us. They were mostly concentrated on the old american or canadian families that gave them a tip for everything and anything. Well....I'm sorry, 2000 EUR for 11 nights is quite a lot of money for what they offer, so when I pay all inclusive that much, I expect the staff knows I already paid for their service also. I'm not asking for a big smile when I get served, but slight jokes and hints from the waiter like "if I want to" when I ask for water are very transparent and very rude.
I would encourage Melia management to do some seminars or trainings with their staff and tell them that tips should be welcomed with a smile and not hinted or asked for.
All and all I do recommend the Las Antillas at least for the beach part and easy access to it though I did take a look at the Iberostar Tainos next door to us (i wanted to book that one, but I couldnt find availability in our period) and it looked a bit more modern for the same price, and with past experience with Iberostar they are a bit more professional then Melia.

Room Tip: get a bungalow room and not in the main building.
2 Thank Alina D
Dear guest,
We want to thank you for use part of your valuable time to share details of your stay in our hotel.
We regret that you have not fully enjoyed our Hotel, and we are sorry to read your comments about the staff as we usually receive many good comments, although I do not doubt that there could be some one that violates our rules, so we thank you for your recommendation.
We would like to inform you that we took note of all your remarks, which will be shared with our area managers involved.
We assure you that improvement, in all our services are an ongoing process and our priority is guest satisfaction.
Reviewed 30 March 2014 via mobile

Just returned from Las Antillas stayed march 21-28. We couldn't have asked for better weather, the staff was amazing and met lots of wonderful ppl. We didn't starve but looked forward to a Big Mac on our return to canada. Spent a day on the catamaran and enjoyed every minute of that ,took us to a beautiful beach Cayo Blanco fed us lobster and free drinks all day the boats crew was fun. Rented a scooter and drove in to Varadero for the day only cost 25 pesos,had a good meal ( we really did). The beaches were breath taking the sunshine was amazing Cuba is truely a gorgeous country. We had 7 wonderful days. The hotel was clean and accommodating. The one thing that was hard to handle all week and I mean hard was the bed. A small price to pay for paradise and with enough sun and rum only noticed it every other night!! Would definetly return to Cuba in a minute. Thanks for the great week!!

Stayed March 2014, travelled as a couple
Francisco S, Director General at Melia Las Antillas, responded to this review, 1 April 2014
Dear guest,
Thanks for your time to share your comments about your recent stay at the Meliá Las Antillas. We are glad to know you had the opportunity to visit a lot of places and that you have met a lots of wonderful people. We are delighted to know that you will return to Cuba and we hope you can visit us for the second time.
Cantley, Canada
Reviewed 30 March 2014 via mobile

I had my first trip in cuba at Melias Las Antilias we had the best weather from march 20 till march 27 2014 . The food was good no complaints staff at the buffet very good. The beach was perfect and the hamburger at bbq beach was very good and beach bar staff did best drinks.
The show at night was good especially the ballet in water and the cuba night show was the best.
The animation at pool and beach the staff very good Nuirka,Teresa,Tuti fruity pool exercise and not to forget my Disco men Papu miss everybody already .

Are room was 6625 best room .near the pool was perfect .

I have all good things to say about this resort. And I meet a lot of new friend .

Thank you melias las antillias.

• Stayed March 2014
Dear guest,
I wish to thank you for so nice review. It is great to know you really feel impressed about the facilities at Melia Las Antillas and that you had a very good time.
Thank you very much for your nice notes on your stay with us. We look forward to welcome you soon again.
Ottawa, Canada
Reviewed 27 March 2014

Let me first stay; I am done with Cuba. And that is only because I have been here so many times now that I am just bored of the Island. It is cheaper then most Islands in the Caribbean, but the luxury is not there. Luxury meaning the fancy stuff and more of the "bells and whistle's".

So, to the hotel. Very nice for Cuba. I would recommend it to someone that is an experienced Cuba traveller. The pool and beach were fantastic. Nice location for the beach bar and bbq snackie area; footsteps from the beach. The grounds were well kept and the chess/checker board was kinda cool. There is a few hot tubs available. large and a medium sized

Food was fine, no complaints and I heard of NO one getting sick. The wine was OK for "house" wine LOL

Room was very nice, maids were a attentive and nothing went missing.

***** If you did not upgrade on-line, do it at check-in; its worth the $100 approx.

Lobster night was awesome !!!!!!!!!!!! Annex restaurants were very good. Italian one was a little disappointing. Ran out of Salmon and live music was just packing up when we were arriving.

**** make sure your reservations for the annex restaurants are not past 8:00 pm ie. running out of food choices, no live music, etc.

Thanks for the pleasent stay.

If I was to go back to Cuba, I would come here. Enjoy :)

Oh ya, the shark-like creature swimming around the pond is pretty cool ................

• Stayed December 2013, travelled as a couple
2 Thank chefdano49
Francisco S, Director General at Melia Las Antillas, responded to this review, 28 March 2014
Dear guest,
We are happy to know that after several times in Cuba, you recommend the Meliá as Antillas, and to know you had a very good experience.
Thanks for your time to share important details about your stay, and we hope you can come again in the future.