“First time to Cuba”
Review of Melia Las Antillas

Melia Las Antillas
Ranked #11 of 64 Hotels in Varadero
Reviewed 14 August 2014

a few things that i didnt like about the hotel
1 the late check out policeys if the hotel got all your info when u are landind and time to get at the hotel your room should be ready ,after landing in cuba at 12:00 noon we finally got in a room at 7:30 that night.
2 the safe didnt work in the first 2 rooms

it wasnt till the second day we finnaly got in to a room that everything worked at 6:00 and it was another late check out 2 days gawn of our 7 waiting for a room i wasnt impressed.
3 if you got problems with the room or anything the front desk should be the one to get it fixed not to have to explain it all over again to the connoisseur .
4 the resort is a bit ran down needs some work.

the people at this resort were very friendly just to mention a few that we took a likeing to
Johnney walker, bettsey the maid she was verr nice i do miss her, the entertainment people Hollywood, nikki ,alberto nice people easy to talk too , ( go Hollywood)
all in all after all the screw ups and the loss of two days having to cary around our valueables it was still a nice place. if we had the money i think i would come back.
Oh the entertainment in the night times was good especially the dancers nice job.
the bar guys at the pool nice job guys.
i work in a hotel myself so i got a different approach to this industry.

Room Tip: Villas are better to stay in.
  • Stayed: April 2014, travelled with friends
1  Thank Paul F
Francisco S, Director General at Melia Las Antillas, responded to this reviewResponded 18 August 2014

Dear guest Paul F,
Many thanks for your time to share your experiences at Melia Las Antillas and for your recognition to the staff. We are happy to read your comments about them and to have an opinion from a person that works in the same industry.
We carefully read your comments about the late checkout and how late you got the first room. We assume you came in the high season. We normally checked the flights and pre-assigned the rooms a day before the client´s arrival to avoid these situations happen to other customers. Thank you for let us know and for your information that help us to improve our services. We are definitely going to check this issue with the department involved and going to check for better solutions.
Thank you one more time. Your comments are really important to us. It would be a pleasure for us to welcome you again at the Melia Las Antillas and make your second occasion unforgettable.

Write a ReviewReviews (4,353)

Reviewed 14 August 2014

My wife and I have visited Melia Las Antillas for four consecutive years, 2011,2012, 2013 and 2014. We stayed at the Hotel from June 14-21, 2014.

As usual we were greeted as very good friends by the reception staff especially Marilyn, Ivy, Mina and the bellman, Picasso who made us feel a very warm welcome..

Our room was upgraded, thanks to the sales department staff. We also received complementary gifts including a special dinner for returning guests.

There were improvements to the rooms. There were additions such as modern safety deposit boxes. Also the new shower heads that they installed are hand held. The room have been redecorated.

We found that the menus in the restaurants have been expanded wioth more selections. The restaurant, Buffet Taino has been renovated.

We again took advantage of the special services offered by the hotel such as massage theraphy, use of the gym, tennis as well as table tennis.

Aside from playing beach volleyball, we took advantage of their services on the beach such as pedal boating and sailing.. Choli and his partner who are responsible for sailing, provided an excellent service.

Nightly entertainment is provided which consists of dancing, singing and other acts. There is also disco after eleven o'clock at night.

Thus, we again recommend, Melia Las Antillas for a restful and enjoyable vacation.

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled as a couple
8  Thank Ben B
Francisco S, Director General at Melia Las Antillas, responded to this reviewResponded 29 August 2014

Dear client Ben B,
We are delighted to know about your 4th visit to Meliá Las Antillas, and that you always enjoyed a vacation paradise with us.
Many thanks for so constructive and detailed review about all the services we provided, and for your reference to some of the staff. We will congratulate them on your behalf. We are happy that you noted the improvements we have been carried on the last year and we thank you for recommend every time Meliá Las Antillas for a relaxing and an enjoyable vacation.

Reviewed 10 August 2014

My husband and I stayed at this resort in the winter-time. The beach is awesome! You can walk out pretty far...the beach is white sand, no rocks. There were always loungers on the beach, with the occasional "saved" chair.

The food...oh boy the food. Everything is the same every night. The dessert table is full of the exact same thing, with different colours and shapes. It is all yellow pound cake with whipped cream in different colours. The food in the buffet cannot seem to stay warm. Chicken skewers take 20 mins to cook on their warm (not hot) grill, so by the time you walk to your table, it is cold. Pretty gross, fed most of mine to the feral cats on the patio (they seemed to enjoy it). We seemed to have a lot of trouble booking our reservations for the a la carte restaurants as well. We booked the Italian restaurant for 8pm (since that was all they had), and when we showed up they told us we did not have a res.......we even had the paper that they give us with the date and time of the res, and still we argued. It was bizarre, and we were starving! We never would have waited that long to eat unless we had a reservation.

I got terribly sick on this trip on my second day, while my husband didn't seem to be affected. It lasted a few days before I was on my feet again. I don't know what it was that I ate, but on the first day I ate and drank everything.

The maid service was excellent. They kept our room clean, (even came at 3am when I was sick in the bathroom).

I probably wouldn't go back to this hotel, since the food was just not good. I know that we don't go to Cuba for the food, but not being able to eat for a week isn't fun.

While the mojitos are amazing, I will not be back to this resort.

Room Tip: 4th floor and above. Make sure you tell them you want an oceanview, otherwise you will get a view o...
  • Stayed: December 2013, travelled as a couple
5  Thank Kris M
Francisco S, Director General at Melia Las Antillas, responded to this reviewResponded 11 August 2014

Dear guest Kris M,
Thank you for having share your experience at our hotel and for your positive comments about the beach area, the maid service and the beverage in general (specially the mojitos)
We deeply regret your comments about the food. We work very hard in this area and we have done many improvements since the last winter. Now, we have new equipment to keep the food in good temperature and we have chance the menu with more variety, thanks to comments like yours, including the dessert table. We also note your comments about the a la carte reservation and we sorry how our staff handled the situation. . Therefore, we will increase supervision, to avoid these things you have pointed out happen to other guests.
Your comments are really important to us to improve our services.

Reviewed 8 August 2014

Me and my wife went to Cuba for the first time and were very much pleased that we selected very nice hotel.
Very clean hotel, nice beach, neat swimming pool, delicious food - we being vegetarian had limited choice but still can find lot..! Nice and clean beach towel service.
Well maintained Bars with variety of choice and pleasant service, at pool, near beach, lobby, and disco.
Nice evening programs - can be improved though..!

Overall very good experience.

Room Tip: Rooms in the main building facing pool are the best choice..!
  • Stayed: May 2014, travelled as a couple
4  Thank Veepool

Dear guest Veepool,
We are happy to know you choose the Meliá Las Antillas on your first visit to Cuba. We are very pleased too, to know you enjoyed a memorable holiday and we thank you for all your positive comments.
We invite you to return to Meliá Las Antillas.

Reviewed 23 July 2014

We came from Montréal. We have been for one week at Melia las Antilles and i can say it was a pleasant adventure. First time to Cuba, i wasn't expecting to much. We arrived on 29th of june at about 11pm. At reception friendly faces. give us a room in a bungalow as i asked(after reading tripadvisors notes from peaple) We had a room at first floor on bungalow 67, close to beach ) room was very clean, nice and quiet. Few insects as you can expect in a tropical country. The only very bad thing - the air conditioning that was working more than poorly evan after beeing repaired. Lucky we have our very nice lady from housekeeping who replenished the bar every day and made us nice arangements from towels. I was impressed.
The buffet was ok . Barbeques everywhere. variety?? Well? We went to Cuba for the most wonderful beaches and for an exceptional sea. That deserved every little glinch in our holiday. We loved the beach and the sea. Kind peaple servicing the area and helping us with the beach beds. We loved the entertaining team - excelent dancers, feisty. Also,i would like to mention a few persons that made our trip a nice one. Especialy Maureen Torres Davila from reception, a real charmer who change our opinion of cubans. Very knowlegable, kind, happy to help us and to give us advices . Also some girls from exchange office . From buffet we loved being serviced by Mairelys Rodriguez, a very nice girl who talked and laught with us ,making the hot air more bearable. And Raphael and the guy from barbeque - nice guys. Also a big hug for Roberto-mojito's specialist and the nice, hansome ,always smiling Yuniesky(even when his favorite football team lost - yes we were there during the world cup from Brasil)from the beach bar-nice mohitos and friendly advices.
So, i can say our experience was not so bad. And probably we will return ,if the hotel will change the air conditioning system and the rooms will have a more bearable air. Maybe free wi-fi at main lobby? And maybe change a little the atitude of some of the people. too much arogance i found. One big man,waiter from the cuban restaurant even wanted to gave us english grammar lessons, big arogance, don't you think? Anyway nice effort from a lot of staff. Try smiling more and not make your guests feeling like without giving a tip you can't have anything.

Room Tip: The 65 to 67 bungalows,first floor are quiet and nice. Close to the beach and swimming pool, and the...
  • Stayed: July 2014, travelled as a couple
4  Thank Manuella N
Francisco S, Director General at Melia Las Antillas, responded to this reviewResponded 31 July 2014

Dear guest Manuella N,
We are glad to know that you enjoyed a pleasant stay in your recent visit to Melia Las Antillas and we thank you for such a detailed comment.
We are gratified that you have referred to many names of our staff. That makes us think that they did everything to make your stay memorable, however we are disappointed that some of them were rude. As we have mentioned in the past, our staff is one of the strengths of our hotel and we will continue working in this direction in order every of them follow the ones you have mentioned above.
We appreciated your comments about the room. We inform you that in a very short term we will upgrade the air conditioning system, so from now we are inviting you to return to our hotel.
Thanks again for all your tips and will be waiting for your second visit.

Reviewed 22 July 2014

My wife and I have gone on quite a few vacations in the last six years;

We spent 3 weeks in Hawaii, twice, once at the Marriott Ocean Club in Ka'anapali, Maui, (that will be another review I do sometime soon) and the second time, 3 weeks at the Royal Waikaloan on the Big Island, (an amazing place!)
We've been to the Allegro Playa Car in Playa del Carmen, Mexico twice, once for 3 weeks and again for one week. We've been to Italy/Rome twice, and even went on a 2 week cruise from Rome to Cairo, to Israel, to Athens, to Naples and back to Rome. We have also been to Cabo san Lucas once and Puerto Vallarta once, and I think I'm even forgetting at least one place.

I tell you all this because as you can imagine, we have stayed in a pretty wide range of places. That said, my wife's taste runs towards 5-star places, but she only wants to pay for 3-star places. This has led to some interesting planning and last minute adjustments when you actually get to the lodging you had reserved and found it less than expected.

This brings me to Cuba, Varadero, it's range of hotels, and finally the Melia Las Antilles;

The rating system for Cuban hotels is completely screwed.

First let me say, you know what to expect when you reserve a 3-star hotel in Hawaii, in Europe, or even in Mexico. You should not have the same expectations of what a 3-star rating gives you in Varadero. Just hope when you actually get there the hotel you reserved is only one star less than you expected, it can be 2-stars less.

The Melia Las Antilles is rated as a 4-star hotel. This may be true in Varadero, but it's really a 3-start at best. That said, it's quit comfortable, with a small hotel feel about it, which grows on you.

We enjoyed the beach a lot. It was about 4 kilometer long, 2 kilometers in either direction from the hotel, (I know as I jogged it every morning while Mina had massages on the beach), which she commented, were "great but more expensive than Playa".

I should comment here, Everything (not included in your all-inclusive deal) at your hotel or in the town itself, is not only priced in convertible pesos, (not Cuban pesos), but is at least as expensive as you pay here in Vancouver. I.E. not cheap! So, be prepared. However, we did get some relief when we went into Havana, but that's another story, e-mail me and I'll let you in on some secrets. But, back to the Melia Las Antilles;

So, the beach was great, the hotel was comfortable, clean, just the right size. I mention this because there are some monster hotels in Varadero, which are truly so large as to be inconvenient in many ways. If you don't believe me, check out the Riu Varadero, trust me, you will wish you had a gold cart to get around!

Back to the Melia: the staff were great, and ever so friendly....ah yes, ever so friendly....This brings me to tipping in Varadero.....we asked a taxi driver we had one day a number of questions about wages in Cuba....he told us almost everyone including doctors, made 350 Cuban pesos a month. Now there are about 25 Cuban pesos to the dollar, or the convertible peso. That means even a doctor makes the equivalent of about $14 a month! So, when you are giving your server or whomever at your hotel that tip of 10% or whatever in convertible pesos, you might be giving them the equivalent of a weeks pay for a doctor, and you are only one person that day giving them a tip. Imagine how many people give them tips in a day? We spoke with a couple of the staff we got to know quite well, (their names will never be divulged) and they said, " we make more some days, than a doctor makes in 6 months, sometimes a year".

So, as I said, the staff were great, friendly, super helpful, and always happy. You can understand why. Imagine the service you would get in Vancouver for example if you were giving your server a tip equal to a weeks pay.

The Melia like a lot of hotels in Varadero is not yet what it could be, but it's getting there for sure.
You will enjoy it for what it is, a good 3-star hotel. You will really enjoy the staff. A tip goes a long way; it will get your room upgraded, it will get the quality of the rum in your drinks upgraded, it gets you better wine at dinner, it gets a lot of things upgraded, so like a super hero, you must use your power responsibly.

I know I've missed a lot, but this "review" is getting pretty long.....oh yah, take an extra, brand new pair of jogging shoes, Nike, whatever, they are as good as gold in Cuba.....and always, always.........Have fun.

Room Tip: Get one of the rooms close to and facing the beach access, to the left of the stage. It gives you a...
  • Stayed: August 2013, travelled as a couple
7  Thank darellc1
Francisco S, Director General at Melia Las Antillas, responded to this reviewResponded 23 July 2014

Dear guest darellc1,
We are happy to know that after many trips to different destinations around the world, you decided to come to Cuba and stayed at Meliá Las Antillas. We really appreciated your nice comments about the beach area, the hotel in general and your criteria about the good relation quality-price that we offer, also for share in this site, your opinions about how helpful and friendly our staff was.
Allow me to reiterate our gratitude for choosing Meliá Las Antillas and for taking the time to share your comments with us.

Reviewed 22 July 2014

We stayed there as a group in May and we find the review below to be uhh..."unbalanced" (to be diplomatic).

There are made to order food stations at the buffet for breakfast, lunch and dinner with fresh ingredients that you choose and put together as you wait – while you watch it being made! So it is impossible in our opinion that anyone could consider the food “terrible”. I guess if you are not willing to wait in line for 2-3 minutes for a freshly made omelette or freshly caught fish grilled as you like it then that’s your problem not the resorts’.

Our rooms on the 5th floor were clean, new, with great views. And everything worked just fine. The only musty smell was from the tropical heat, humidity and vegetation!

In general, service was excellent and we made a few friends and will be back. Tip: Make the effort by smiling first – you will be amazed at what happens!

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled as a couple
6  Thank DTCalgary

Dear guest DTCalgary,
Thank you for your nice comment and for share on this site, your opinions about your recent stay at Meliá Las Antillas, also, for clarify some reviews, and give us your point of view. As you remark, we daily offer a good offer of fresh meals and a wide variety of international and national cuisines. We are very happy to know that you were very pleased with our offer, as well with the room, the service and the staff.
Comments like yours are very important to keep working every day to exceed the expectations of our customers and achieve ever-greater improvement.
Do not hesitate in contacting us if you are planning to come again to Melia Las Antillas