“Good value”

Ranked #27 of 63 Hotels in Varadero
Richmond Hill, Canada
“Good value”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 September 2012

Our family of 4 spent last 2 weeks of August in the villas section, booked through Nolitour. Mine and my wife's overall impression is the hotel provides good value for the money.

ROOM & GROUNDS

I asked for quiet room when booking, and on arrival we got one without reminder. Even the basic room in villa section is really a two-room suite with the door between rooms and TV in each room. Air conditioner was good, strong and quiet. However, the couple of days it rained there were water leaks, probably because we were on the 2-nd floor. The hotel is old and it shows, as many others pointed out. Grounds are well maintained though.

BEACH

We came mostly for the beach, and it was perfect. Water was warm and shallow very far into the ocean (perfect for our children of 7 and 4). Do not leave towels on the beach though, as they may disappear, and the replacement cost is 10 convertible pesos (10 USD) per towel. On the bright side, there is no need to do that as there was always free palm leafs umbrellas on the beach any time of the day.

POOL and JACUZZIS

The pool was always crowded, as most people like to spend time there (could not guess why, when a perfect beach is steps away). In the villas section there are 2 jacuzzis which were not working, but still served as a great swimming pool for our youngest.

ENTERTAINMENT

Kids really liked Animal Show and Magic Show. Also, the dancing shows at night were quite pofessional and very entertaining.

SERVICE & FOOD

Service was wonderful, all employees we met were simply nice and not focused on getting tips, as in some other places we've vacationed before. Food was good most of the times (we are not into fries and coke). However in 2 weeks there were couple of days when it felt like kitchen did not plan for the influx of local tourists who rent rooms for a day or two. Minor inconveniences were compensated though by really nice and helpful employees of whom I would like to mention Jose of Guest Services (hope you liked the book!), Janier of Reception, Tania from The Jimmy's (our whole family hopes to see you again!), and Aymara of the Room Services.

TOURS

Our Nolitour representative Mayelin did great job describing available tours, of which we chose a day trip to Havana. I am glad we decided to stick with the tour guide, and not split from the group. The tour was interesting, and informative, and we wanted to see how the local people live, and we saw it.

5 Thank vladimirnovikov

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (744)
  • Czech first
  • Polish first
  • Slovak first
Toronto, Canada
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 September 2012

Their beach is amazing, Isaac was there so the waves are definitely a plus!. Overall the staff's helpful except for a few. Most of them will surely please their clients as far as they can and there are a few that seems to favor locals over tourist. Speaking of locals...I don't know how but they can but they can certainly afford to stay at resorts now, apparently there's a new law that just passed that produced instant rich Cubans. Rich or not....these people have no manners whatsoever. They are loud and will cut off in front of you. I'm all for taking care of your own but apparently out of the 2 million tourists that they have 1M are Canadians...so what gives. These resorts are supposed to be number 1 family resort in Varadero but these locals are making out in the afternoon by the pool while their kids are around, talking about...go to your room (since they already got one). These place was also recommended who has been (before the "new passed law") but it was nothing but disappointment. Their entertainment centre's outdoor therefore we were bored outta our mind for 2 nights that Isaac was lurking around. No back up plan either...they have a beautiful lobby that they could have used. Entertainment pretty much the same routine, just different costumes. You can't really say i'm picky since this was my 3rd time in Cuba so I know what to expect. Had better time in Cayo Coco who also have beautiful beaches and Camaguey. Food was always salty..except for their Italian Restaurant which was DIVINE!!!. We stayed at the Villa (which was worth the extra $$$) because my sister followed us 2 days after and got a hotel room which was quite disgusting, the whole room stinks. Our villa even though...you had to hold on walls at night to make sure you don't crack your head open on the way to bathroom's much nicer than the hotel side. My room phone doesn't work even though I had asked them to fix it. Entertainment by the pool sucked big time and I think they only have 1 cd that played over and over..and it's Adele for the love of gawd. Don't get me wrong...I love Adele just NOT around the pool or the beach while I'm having my cerveza.
So to wrap it up, food's ok..entertainment sucks, staff ok, guests (locals) are rude, drinks are ok...and NO I will not go back to this place nor will I recommend to family or friends, BUT will definitely recommend to people I hate!.
Should be rated as a 3 star hotel not 4 or 4.5 (on some)
If you are in Varadero however... I recommend ... SALSA SUAREZ restaurant & bar at Calle 31 #103 asked for Alberto or Yoel (53 53 287678) the best lobster I have ever tasted, other food on their menu's heavenly as well. Good food and good price.

1 Thank cherrypief
Toronto, Ontario, Canada
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 September 2012

The beach and the room service were the only redeeming features of this place. the food was ok but even below par for Cuban all inclusive. Wednesday night there was roast pig but it was too tough, the lobster on Thursday night at Jimmy's buffet was over cooked and too salty. we were billeted in the villas and this was a definitely above the hotel rooms which a couple in our party were booked. hurricane ISAAC was on the way out but heavy rains were still on from the weekend till Monday. some of our relatives were on the second floor villas and the roof was leaking in several place. a friend of ours even called reception asking for a bucket. they were using the beach towels to mop up the rain water. there were locals in the hotels and the Spanish speaking folks kept butting in ahead of the food line at the buffet. i think someone forgot to tell these folks that there is a more food available or they did not teach proper manners in their culture. the place needs a serious makeover and seems to have only the basic maintenance done, There are other places i would consider when we go back to Varadero.

Room Tip: Get the villa, avoid the hotel rooms
4 Thank Luis S

Travellers are raving about these Varadero hotels

5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 September 2012

After reading the reviews about this resort I was apprehensive. I am pleased to say that the good and excellent reviews are actually a true reflection of this amazing resort.
The staff work very hard and are amazing people who wish to make your holiday as comfortable and as enjoyable as possible. Our maid, Maria created artistic creations from the towels and bed cover. Each day we eagerly looked forward to coming back to our room to see the new design.
The Lobby Bar made the best cocktails, Oscar and Magalys were very friendly and always welcomed you with a smile. Jimmy's was clean and every day there was a wide choice of dishes. My partner, who is very fussy, survived on Sandro's pasta.
The best part of the holiday was the beach, which we lived on during the day, white sand and clear blue sea, amazingly surreal!
Overall I would recommend this resort to anyone. Yes the fixtures and fittings are dated, but the staff of the hotel and the surroundings are worth a stay here. Would definitely stay here again if we decide to come back to Cuba.

• Stayed August 2012
1 Thank Vinneydog
Iroquois Falls
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 September 2012

This hotel had a lot of potential 20 years ago. Being my first travel experience I was not sure what to expect. The trip was fairly inexpensive (800 CAD/week) so in the 3rd week of January 2009 my Father and I (amongst several others) were off to Breezes Bella Costa. Check in was slow to say the least. There was only 2 people working the front desk to service 3 buses! A nice gesture was the welcome cocktail...which kept on welcoming until the check in! On the down side that was over an hour later. This hotel is a poor design in the sense that there is no such a thing as a 'quiet area' All of the room are on the outside walls of a tall apartment style building all looking down on the Lobby Bar. This is also the 24 hour bar so people enjoying their holidays during the wee hours of the morning are potentially disturbing those who may have to get up early for an excursion! When we got to our room that was where the problems started. Few of the lights int he room were operable...which, OK our bulbs burn out at home too. When we spread the room lamps around that is when we discovered black mould all over the ceiling...of both the room and the bathroom. In the bathroom their was some undetermined plumbing issue that was causing the overflow of the bidet onto the floor! At this juncture I returned to the lobby to very politely request another room. Sadly the front desk staff was unable to help (and I am reasonably fluent in spanish, but this was close to or shortly after midnight local time), but suggested I return in the morning and someone should be able to help me then. My Dad and I decided to enjoy our first night of holidays and look forward to some sort of resolution in the morning. Disappointingly there was little to no food available at that time of the night. Being my first time on holidays ever, and his first time in over 30 years, naturally we had a bonding evening over copious amounts of beer....ummmm Crystal! We awoke several times...or I should say were awoken several times after trying to sleep (or pass out at that point) by the rowdy fellow Canadians...or should I say Canadiens (détendez-vous...je suis une partie franco aussi ha ha ha) but ended up waking up in the morning perhaps feeling like an Irish Rovers Song. I attended the front desk to enquire about the room change and they informed me I would have to talk to my Sunwing representative. I stood in line waiting to speak with Maria for over a half an hour while she booked excursions for another couple. As soon as the couple left her desk she looked at me and told me she was going on lunch and would return in an hour. I waited for Maria to return from her lunch and explained the problem. She told me the hotel was full to capacity and there were no other rooms available. I asked her to enquire about when a room may be available and she returned telling me it may be as much as 5 days. I returned to the room to discuss the situation with my father who was enjoying the patio. We opted to transfer out of the Bella Costa. We were not impressed with Sunwings' misrepresentation of the resort. It was market to us as a 4 * resort, yet upon arrival the resort only displayed 3*. Now I know someone may jump on here and defend the star rating in Cuba, but believe me, I have been back to Cuba, and Varedero countless times since and this WAS NOT a 4* resort. It achieves this rating from the beach only. Maria was not very helpful when it came to changing resorts. Sunwing was not willing to help the situation. In fact they blamed us for not selecting a resort to our standards. Again, I have been back to Cuba numerous times and am very aware now of what the standards are. I routinely stay in what I refer to as 'my Cuban Cottage' at the Be Live Turquesa which is a 20 year old government owned and run resort and was a 4* 10 years ago. The long and the short of it is that we ended up staying at the Sandals (which is a wonderful place, though we did not realize it was a Couples resort until our last day....explains a lot of the strange looks ha ha ha ha ha) at our own expense. When I returned to Canada I began with phone calls, and ended with one of our holidays covered in travel vouchers. I never did use them as I refuse to travel Sunwing since. Needless to say the place is run down and needs some serious TLC and an attitude adjustment of the staff. Be very aware of where you are travelling when you choose the Breezes Bella Costa both for the facility and for the staff.

• Stayed September 2011, travelled with friends
2 Thank chillin_61
Downey, California
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 30 August 2012

We stayed at this hotel from August 18-20, and truly have to say that from the moment we walked in, to the moment we walked out we had a good time. The meals were pretty good, as well as the activities during the day in the pool area and as well at night. The bar staff was very nice, as well as the staff of the buffett area. BUT! the rooms were very rundown, and they smelled very bad, the outside hall of the rooms were dirty and disgusting and the air conditioners were leaking to the outside of the hall where u would enter the room. The floors of the room wasnever cleaned on the 2 days we were there, the shower was dirty, infact it was so nasty i showerd in sandals my entire stay.

1 Thank Yusimi G
Barnsley, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 August 2012

We went here a few years ago and found the hotel very nice.The staff were helpfull and the location was great. Just out of town so away from the noise and only a stride from the Beach.I reccomend the Mojitos

• Stayed September 2011, travelled as a couple