“Enjoy and Relax”

Ranked #26 of 63 Hotels in Varadero
Chateauguay, Canada
“Enjoy and Relax”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 June 2014

April 25-May 2, 2014 We were the only two to get off the bus so check in was quick and smooth. Very friendly reception and quick to provide us with information that we would require to enjoy our stay.

Location: was quite central – 3 km to downtown, 5 km to Las Americanos mall. Bus was at least 10 minute walk from resort did not pass by hotel.

Exchange 24 hours at reception. Passport not required once you checked in. You could also exchange with your tour operator who would give you a bit more for your money, but the operators were only there for a certain time period daily.

Scooters: $15 CUC for 2 hours. Good shape scooters.

Beach: 5 stars, they cleaned and grated daily. There were plenty of ‘full coverage’ chairs and small tables available (both on beach and at pool area), divided by beach restaurant. Music was on one side; while pedal boats and catamarans on the other side.

Shows: were quite good, beach party after show was fantastic.

Room 376:
• Great view over main pool as well as the ocean.
• Very central location.
• Beds – so/so. Clean but not that comfortable, got used to it.
• You get one big water bottle on arrival then you must refill from any bar. Nothing else. But If you take a villa, then your bar is stocked daily (water, beer, soft drinks.
• Shower – let water run or you will not get ‘hot’ water.
• Room very clean but showing its age. Spots on tiles missing, furniture aging, but based on time spent in room quite functional.
• Old safe – needed key – in closet.
• TV with DVD player.
• Coffee maker in room – no coffee – left us tea.
• Plenty of lights and AC worked well.
Main Buffet “Jimmy’s”:
• Food was good, enough choice. Lady who made eggs very nice and entertaining. Guy who made your pasta meal very entertaining and would add whatever you requested.
• Servers slow to deliver coffee in the morning, water/wine in the evening
• Not open for lunch – either pool bar area or beach restaurant
Beach Restaurant “El Mirador”:
• Fabulous pizza – grab pepperoni from salad bar to have added to your pizza, takes about 5 minutes to make.
• Great view of ocean
• Bruschetta was really good.
• Again waiters slow on the water/wine/coffee.

Italian restaurant “Martino’s”: up the stairs in main lobby near main buffet. Very good food, choices were limited but enough variety for us. Soup was good, salad not so much, dessert not bad. Reservations required.

Lobby Bar: had snack after hours, had good live music every night. Drinks tell them how much rum, and good cappuccino.
Pool Bar: excellent cappuccino, drinks were very good, again tell them how much alcohol they got to know you quickly. Bar tenders were very nice and friendly.

Daily Activities: good entertainment staff games at pool and on beach daily. David great guy. Music all the time.
Towels: change every day (we were able to change during the day when needed no problem), must give them your ‘towel card’ on arrival and remember to get back last day – needed to check out. Nestor was so friendly quite a charmer.

Most public areas in resort are non-smoking. Can smoke outside main entrance with little groups of tables/chairs; area set up on terrace of main buffet, and pool bar. No problem smoking in most outdoor areas but indoors was non-smoking.

Gift Shops – 2 on main floor – limited choices.

Artesian: 1 as you left main lobby for pool/ocean and 1 downstairs. The downstairs one had clothes and typical souvenirs, 1 outside did change with a variety of Cuban souvenirs. Not as much choice or great prices as downtown or other resorts where various artisans set up.

Dress for the most part quite casual so limit shoes and ‘fancy’ dinner attire.

Seems like it was the beginning of ‘low season’ and there were a lot of Cuban guests from Havana so much of the language heard was Spanish. There were guests from Argentina, England, Germany, some Quebecers and quite a few from Ontario. We also met people from Vancouver, Nova Scotia, and Edmonton.

Again because of the time of year there were no line ups for anything and always plenty of beach chairs available everywhere.

People were coming and going on a daily basis. We arrived on Friday which was different but worked out well.

All in all a great resort and we will definitely go back.

Room Tip: Room 376: • Great view over main pool as well as the ocean. • Very central location. Could sit...
  • Stayed April 2014, travelled with family
3 Thank ErmaJ2014

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (744)
  • Czech first
  • Polish first
  • Slovak first
Toronto, Canada
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 June 2014

The whole family stay in the hotel for 6 days. Beautiful beach, nice swim pool, wonderful show every night, tasted free cocktail, friendly people, room is not bad - but complain to mosquito!anti-mosquito is the must have. AC is not running on the buffet area on morning, a little bit hot but we don't care. Food is so so. Don't forget the water sport on the corner, it is free though photos under water is charged -- it worth to pay 20 bucks. Tips anywhere but who care? The washroom in airport has been guarded to ask tips but the hotel is not.
Local tour agency is not so friendly, ask your Canadian agency.
Time periods, May 30 - Jun 04.

Room Tip: Don't have to upgrade your room to ocean view -- most of room over third level could enjoy Sunri...
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled with family
3 Thank Patrick C
Nova Scotia, Canada
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 June 2014

Breezes Bella Costa - April 03-17/14

Check in: We were the only couple to get off the bus from the airport. No problem with check in – fast, smooth and to our room. We took our own bags. No help called, so off we went. We were in the buffet having supper about two hours after touch-down!! (Arrived to Gala Night in the buffet – lobster tails, crab, turkey, roast beef, filet mignon – so much of a choice!!)

Room: I had emailed before our arrival and asked for a room that would be close and convenient. We were more than happy with our placement. Thank you, YURNIERYS DÍAZ. There was a nice card and quart of rum to welcome us to our room. As said in many reviews, the rooms are tired, but how long do you spend in them. The beds were very uncomfortable, and low to the floor. Not great for older folks, or those with knee or back problems. Our room was kept very clean every day by our wonderful friend, Yanira. She always left us a nice note and towel creation.

Grounds: Wonderful. As said in many reviews, everything is close. The gardens are beautiful and are well cared for continually. We enjoyed the various plants and flowering bushes everywhere. One of the gardeners gave me a beautiful smelling gardenia, as we stood admiring the tree.

Pool: It’s rather small, and can get quite crowded, especially when the kiddies (and adults) throw balls or whatever to each other from one end to the other.

Activities/entertainment: There were lots of activities. We took part in some afternoon games and had a lot of fun. We saw only a few evening shows.

Beach: We were not impressed with the beach. Perhaps about 10 feet before you entered the water was good, but the other 20 – 30 feet of sand was terrible. There were large pieces of shell and coral, and when you stepped you sank. It also got very hot to walk on. In the water, there were some pieces of shell and coral, and quite a bit of grass. More palapas are needed and because of the erosion, many loungers are on a 45 degree angle. Not the most comfortable position to lie.

Bars: Service at the bars varied. The worst was the pool bar. The mixed drinks were mostly good with mojitos available at the lobby bar. We enjoyed the beach bar, but the lobby bar was our favorite. Beatrice couldn’t be beat, and Barbara was just as great!

Food: We thoroughly enjoyed the food. It is definitely the best that we have had in Cuba. Some mornings you had to be careful because the pancakes may still be raw in the middle, and the donuts were hard on one side (not sure how they consistently did that??). The variety was fantastic for each and every meal. We had a lot of lunches from the beach buffet, and a few of the great pizzas. The luncheon BBQ’s were quick to go because they were so delicious! I don’t know how anyone could complain about the food, as there seemed to be something for everyone at each meal and restaurant.

Staff: I think all the great things have been said about the staff and we agree that they were all fantastic with very few exceptions.

Guests: Other than the beds, a few of the guests would be our main complaint. I do not feel that a lounge next to the pool is the place to give a pedicure – with nail pieces flying wherever!! Also, please see that your child goes to the bathroom, in the bathroom, not on the steps going into the pool. And, there should be a sign at the pool bar stating “No Peeing while waiting”!! As mentioned in other reviews, there were those who would stand in line at a buffet, waiting for something, say fried chicken. Then when it was ready they would call others over and oops, there it was, all gone again! One more thing about the guests – so many of the parents were not only on vacation, but were on vacation from being parents. The kiddies seemed to be all over the place, doing as they wanted, everywhere - running through the buffet, over and around people on the beach and pool. Everywhere!

Off resort: Four of us hired a private guide/photographer for a day to go into Havana. We highly recommend him! His name is Yosel Vasquez at I Love Cuba. He’s the only red-headed Cuban we have ever met! We had a van as requested, so my husband would be comfortable for the long day. The tour was geared for us and he was so considerate of how we were doing and especially my husband. He considered all our “special needs” and has a great sense of humor as well. We all had a great day. Thank you, Yosel!

Summary: There are some great things about the Breezes Bella Costa. It’s well laid out and very easy to get from one place to another – very good for “older folks”. The “no smoking” inside is great, but often the lobby doors are open and the smoke drifts in. The large lobby bar and lounging areas are very nice. We found the public washroom always clean and well cared for, with often a person right there to replenish toilet paper or paper towel. We did not use the washroom by the towel shack. The staff is some of the best in Varadero, also the food and variety. We probably would not return because of the beach and beds; besides we like to try different resorts.

• Stayed April 2014, travelled as a couple
2 Thank clarvey
Niagara Falls, Canada
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 June 2014 via mobile

Stayed May 16-23 in the Villa section Beach was wonderful, the grounds and trees are so lovely and well kept Excellent food,service,rooms were very clean Made many new friends The Bella Costa has wonderful staff Dania Luis Makel Pedro Yerenis Darion Carlos Renier Leo Antonio Jesus Sandro Hose to name a few Service at it's best The Italian restaurant is excellent This was my fifth time and trip of a lifetime See you again soon
Paloma

Stayed May 2014
1 Thank Elena T
Toronto, Canada
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 June 2014

I travelled with my elderly parents 86 and 84, and my sister. Staff was always there to help, best I ever had on vacatoins. The buffet had a few stairs so it is not for anyone in a wheelchair.I had been last year and loved it as well, only change was that the buffet area is very hot,no air or fans...And the food was not as good as last year...

• Stayed June 2014, travelled with family
2 Thank flashclay
Kitchener, Canada
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 June 2014

I had the pleasure of staying at the Breezes Bella Costa resort from May 23-30. I went in with an open mind, having read the reviews and listening to stories from other people. I can honestly say it was one of the most relaxing and fun trips I have had in years! I can't say enough good things about the amazing staff. They made the trip so memorable for everyone at the resort!

I'll highlight the best and least favorite parts of the vacation for you:

Best:
-amazing villa room. It was HUGE! Definitely a great surprise, as I expected a standard room.
-the beach is incredible. I ignored the pool and spent all my time lounging on the beach and playing in the ocean.
-the beachfront restaurant is great for lunch. Try the burgers directly from the grill, get a pizza custom made for you, and have a pina colada from the bar at the restaurant. It has shaved coconut in it. SO good! The wait staff is outstanding and so friendly and nice. I loved chatting with them every day. They love Canadians! :)
-the omelettes at Jimmy's Buffet are delicious. The lady who makes them is a sweetheart! I was happy to be able to get egg white omelettes. Just make sure to ask for it in advance.
-the Lobby Bar has an extensive list of drinks to choose from, and is open 24 hours. Definitely try the Banana Mamas. They are delicious, and very addictive!
-the nightly dance shows are amazing. The staff is really talented, and everyone really enjoyed the shows. It's the perfect way to unwind after a long day in the sun.
-the front staff is amazing and very helpful. Don't be afraid to ask them anything, from booking dinner reservations to the a la carte restaurants to where to exchange money.

Least Favorite:
-If you stay in the villas, the noise level went up on the weekends. It was really distracting, but a call to the front desk had security come and shut it down pretty quickly.
-there was painting done at my villa, and the fumes were in my room for 24 hours. That was the worst part of my vacation, as I had a nasty migraine and it made sleeping difficult. Once it was gone, things were back to normal. This is part of the renovations that are done when the resort isn't too busy.
-the door frame of my room was broken when I got there, but the maintenance staff fixed it the next morning, which was great.
-the drink cups are small...bring a Bubba Keg or large insulated cup! You won't have to walk back and forth to the bars to refill!

Overall, the trip was amazing. The guests who stay here are really nice, the staff is really friendly and accommodating and the beach is outstanding! I would come back in a heartbeat. It's the perfect place to unwind! If you are questioning going to Cuba and are worried about the food, accommodations, etc., don't. I have been everywhere and honestly had no issues finding something to eat and enjoy. I can totally see why people are constantly going back to this resort!

Room Tip: Have your travel agent request a villa room. Mine did, and I was really happy to find that I receive...
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled solo
8 Thank travelgirl3915
Ottawa, Canada
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 June 2014

Since November of 2013 I have travelled to Varadero Cuba and stayed at the Bella Costa Resort on 4 separate occasions, staying one week each time. This hotel is what my daughter and I call our home away from home. The service is amazing, such wonderful people, very helpful and friendly. The outside pool staff was exceptional always making sure that you had a lounge chair. They would go down the beach to find you one. I highly recommend this resort to anyone. The hotel Manager was very approachable and she always had the time to answer questions.

As we have made many friends down at the resort I am wondering if there is anyone from Ottawa that will be travelling to the resort in the next couple of weeks. I have some paperwork that I would like to send to a friend at the Bella Costa. If there is anyone that will be travelling in the near future if you would please let me know, I would be very grateful. Thank you and enjoy your stay.

Room Tip: The rooms are a good size with small table and chairs, The rooms overlooking the pool area are breat...
  • Stayed April 2014, travelled with family