April 25-May 2, 2014 We were the only two to get off the bus so check in was quick and smooth. Very friendly reception and quick to provide us with information that we would require to enjoy our stay.
Location: was quite central – 3 km to downtown, 5 km to Las Americanos mall. Bus was at least 10 minute walk from resort did not pass by hotel.
Exchange 24 hours at reception. Passport not required once you checked in. You could also exchange with your tour operator who would give you a bit more for your money, but the operators were only there for a certain time period daily.
Scooters: $15 CUC for 2 hours. Good shape scooters.
Beach: 5 stars, they cleaned and grated daily. There were plenty of ‘full coverage’ chairs and small tables available (both on beach and at pool area), divided by beach restaurant. Music was on one side; while pedal boats and catamarans on the other side.
Shows: were quite good, beach party after show was fantastic.
• Great view over main pool as well as the ocean.
• Very central location.
• Beds – so/so. Clean but not that comfortable, got used to it.
• You get one big water bottle on arrival then you must refill from any bar. Nothing else. But If you take a villa, then your bar is stocked daily (water, beer, soft drinks.
• Shower – let water run or you will not get ‘hot’ water.
• Room very clean but showing its age. Spots on tiles missing, furniture aging, but based on time spent in room quite functional.
• Old safe – needed key – in closet.
• TV with DVD player.
• Coffee maker in room – no coffee – left us tea.
• Plenty of lights and AC worked well.
Main Buffet “Jimmy’s”:
• Food was good, enough choice. Lady who made eggs very nice and entertaining. Guy who made your pasta meal very entertaining and would add whatever you requested.
• Servers slow to deliver coffee in the morning, water/wine in the evening
• Not open for lunch – either pool bar area or beach restaurant
Beach Restaurant “El Mirador”:
• Fabulous pizza – grab pepperoni from salad bar to have added to your pizza, takes about 5 minutes to make.
• Great view of ocean
• Bruschetta was really good.
• Again waiters slow on the water/wine/coffee.
Italian restaurant “Martino’s”: up the stairs in main lobby near main buffet. Very good food, choices were limited but enough variety for us. Soup was good, salad not so much, dessert not bad. Reservations required.
Lobby Bar: had snack after hours, had good live music every night. Drinks tell them how much rum, and good cappuccino.
Pool Bar: excellent cappuccino, drinks were very good, again tell them how much alcohol they got to know you quickly. Bar tenders were very nice and friendly.
Daily Activities: good entertainment staff games at pool and on beach daily. David great guy. Music all the time.
Towels: change every day (we were able to change during the day when needed no problem), must give them your ‘towel card’ on arrival and remember to get back last day – needed to check out. Nestor was so friendly quite a charmer.
Most public areas in resort are non-smoking. Can smoke outside main entrance with little groups of tables/chairs; area set up on terrace of main buffet, and pool bar. No problem smoking in most outdoor areas but indoors was non-smoking.
Gift Shops – 2 on main floor – limited choices.
Artesian: 1 as you left main lobby for pool/ocean and 1 downstairs. The downstairs one had clothes and typical souvenirs, 1 outside did change with a variety of Cuban souvenirs. Not as much choice or great prices as downtown or other resorts where various artisans set up.
Dress for the most part quite casual so limit shoes and ‘fancy’ dinner attire.
Seems like it was the beginning of ‘low season’ and there were a lot of Cuban guests from Havana so much of the language heard was Spanish. There were guests from Argentina, England, Germany, some Quebecers and quite a few from Ontario. We also met people from Vancouver, Nova Scotia, and Edmonton.
Again because of the time of year there were no line ups for anything and always plenty of beach chairs available everywhere.
People were coming and going on a daily basis. We arrived on Friday which was different but worked out well.
All in all a great resort and we will definitely go back.
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Holiday Gems and Evoline ltd so you can book your Hotel Bella Costa reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Breezes Bella Costa Varadero
- Breezes Bella Costa Hotel Varadero
- Breezes Bella Costa Cuba