“Again...Just great!”

Ranked #20 of 63 Hotels in Varadero
Montreal, Canada
“Again...Just great!”
Reviewed 11 June 2014

We were at Breezes Varadero from April 5 to 12th....for our 5th consecutive year.....and if all goes as planned, there is going to be a 6th... we just happy to reacquaint the wonderful Breezes staff.....Unfortunately, I have learned that our friend Omar was to retire in June...he will be missed by all of his friends...... All week we were greeted by Lazarita at Jimmy`s for breakfast and lunch... and by the way, Congrats to Humberto for his new position......food is improving (quality and variety) , Italian restaurant is still great and always happy to see my friend Vladimir at El Mojito......Had many good nights at the Disco.... great Bar service from Duniel.... Room was nice in main building (Nolitours Section) but water pressure was not at his best..... but then... does it really matter....... Another great week.....

• Stayed April 2014, travelled with friends
6 Thank Yves_017
BVRA, General Manager at Hotel Los Cactus, responded to this review, 17 June 2014
Dear Guest. Thanks for expressing your comments about our services in the hotel. Your ideas allow us to offer the best customer service every day. We are solving the issue about water pressure in the rooms section refers, as we are pleased that our guests are fully satisfied with the best care. We will contact workers congratulating you mention his usual care. Thanks again for your reviews and look forward to having you back in our Resort

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (641)
  • Greek first
  • Polish first
Essex England
Reviewed 11 June 2014

I booked this holiday last minute as a single traveller. I stayed the first 3 nights in Havana as part of the deal then 7 nights at this hotel. I was a little concerned after reading some negative reviews but was very pleasantly surprised by everything this hotel offers.
My accommodation was in G block with large bedroom and separate lounge. The bathroom was clean although a little tired with water pressure not great but this is the caribbean. Air conditioning unit broke on the last day but was not a huge problem for me.
There was probably too much choice at meal times, meaning that food was repetitive but i was careful with my choice and never had any problems.
Staff were very friendly, and all work exceptionally hard. I was made very welcome and would happily return to Breezes Varadero.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled solo
5 Thank debsrich
BVRA, General Manager at Hotel Los Cactus, responded to this review, 18 June 2014
Dear Guest:
Thank you very much for your nice comments about our Resort in Trip Advisor, because it helps to get better everyday our services that you deserves.We are solving the issue about water pressure in the rooms section refers, as we are pleased that our guests are fully satisfied with the best care. Also we attended the problem with the AC. Thanks for your compliments towards our staff. We will contact them congratulating you mention their usual care. We will be more than grateful of hosting you again in a near future.

Kind Regards,
Halifax, Canada
Reviewed 8 June 2014

Stayed at Breezes Varadero May 30-June 6 with myself, my girlfriend, and 2 other friends, and I must say we had a pretty good time. Here's the main points:

Rooms: We booked a garden view suite (room 244) and are we thankful that we did. The room was very spacious and well maintained. The biggest gripe about the room has to be the bed, which was quite uncomfortable. To be fair however me and my girlfriend are used to our pillow-top mattress. Those who prefer a firm mattress will do fine. Next to that our shower head was quite low, but not a giant issue.

Food: Its been said a thousand times, but you don't go to Cuba for the food. The first night (Gala night) was very good, the lobster being the real standout. After that the choices of food were pretty repetitious and bland. Bringing your own condiments is -highly- recommended. Apart from the buffet Martino's, the Italian a la carte was phenomenal, the Cuban El Mojito less so. Carlos at the bar grill was a mainstay of the afternoon's, with his burgers, hot dogs and pizza, all well prepared and tasty. It has to be noted that all of us in our party at some point or other suffered some tummy issues. I'd recommend staying away from anything with mayonnaise.

Grounds: Absolutely stunning. Really can't emphasize enough how beautiful the foliage and maintenance of the property is. When people say the beach is one of the best in the world they aren't lying. Powder white sand and azure waters. We were of course visiting during off season, so there was plenty of seating, but it may be an issue during high season. The pool was fantastic and again well maintained, cleaners out every morning scrubbing the sides. The pool could be open a bit longer (closing at 7 every night) but I think that's mostly so they have a set time to put the chemicals in without risk of people burning themselves with chlorine.

Staff: many of the returners we met said they returned each year for the people. There were a few standouts for us (Magdiana at the lobby bar/buffet, Carlos at the grill, Frank at the omlette bar), however the rest seemed a bit...Meh. Courteous enough, but not as friendly as other resorts we've stayed at. One lady who worked the front desk on Wednesday the 4th was quite rude. This wouldn't be a reason for us to come back.

Entertainment: The entertainment staff at Breezes Varadero does a lot with a little. The nightly shows were pretty entertaining, especially the music trivia night and the dance competition. One tiny gripe was that during the trivia competitions on the afternoons at the pool the questions were asked first in spanish, then again in english. Well aware that it is Cuba and spanish is the spoken language, and it may be different during high season with more english speakers on site, but it did give the spanish speakers the upper hand where as most of them spoke english as well. Regardless I still won my bottle of rum!

Excursions: Our friends went on the catamaran tour and reported back that it was fantastic, swimming with dolphins a magical time. The best part of our entire trip was a photo excursion to Havana we booked outside the hotel with an amazing guy named Yosel. He came highly recommended online and from another friend and they couldn't be more right. He is incredibly accommodating, managing a quick date change to avoid some rainy weather, his english is spectacular and high knowledge of Havana and Cuba as a whole staggering. On top of this, his rates are very reasonable for everything he provides. His website is http://ilovecuba.webs.com/, if you're planning a trip to the city definitely look him up!

Thats pretty much our impressions of Breezes Varadero. With a few minor tweaks, this place would stand to be a true home away from home.

Room Tip: Book a garden view. The extra space and location is worth the money.
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled with friends
7 Thank Sixthsomatic
Nova Scotia
Reviewed 3 June 2014

We stayed the first week of May seeking much needed sun after a long winter, the resort is a nice size everything is close to walk to, the grounds are beautiful and well taken care off, the beach is awesome lots of chairs and shade never had a problem getting a spot any time of day.
The staff are what makes this resort standout they were friendly and helpful and make your stay enjoyable. We stayed in the Nolit building with ocean view I would recommend getting the ocean view, our maid Gloria kept our room clean and left towel art everyday, the only compliant was the bed was very hard to sleep on not very comfortable, The AC did not work when we got there but was fixed the next day.
Buffet was good for breakfast if you need coffee it is better at the lobby bar, for lunch we preferred to eat at the beach grill, the al cartes were very good, thanks Vladimir (coco) for your kindness, the Coffee bar is a must in the evening the lady that worked there always remembered what we liked it is a nice area to relax.
The band that played around the lobby was enjoyable, we went to the disco one night, a fun time we met disco man thanks for the laughs and refreshing drinks.
We had a relaxing time and enjoyed our time there,
Don't forget to bring bug spray for when you go out in the evenings.

Room Tip: Recommend Ocean View
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
6 Thank jbsunwaves
BVRA, Manager at Hotel Los Cactus, responded to this review, 18 June 2014
Dear Client,

Thank you for your valuable opinions regarding your stay in our resort.

We are very concern about customer´s satisfaction therefore each comment is taken as a great opportunity to improve the hotel services and facilities.

We have been doing renovations in the property and are continuing with the program to provide the highest level of comfort to our clients.
It is nice to hearing that you were very pleased with the staff service, and that you enjoyed your holidays in Varadero & the resort.

We are looking forward to welcoming you in the future.

The Management
Oakville, Canada
Reviewed 3 June 2014

This was the third time at this resort in April. Disappointed on this trip. In the past the food was very good, this visit the food was not very good. We always enjoyed the facilities and beautiful grounds as well as the staff. This year the upkeep did not seem to be on par with our last two visits. Staff continued to be friendly but on the overall the resort seemed to have sub par food....selection almost the same every day.
Woud not go back...very disappointed.

Room Tip: Get room on the beach.
  • Stayed April 2014, travelled as a couple
3 Thank Dennis D
Oshawa, Canada
Reviewed 2 June 2014

I am 74 and have never been anywhere... so I decided to go to Cuba, and was told that Varadero was great for beaches. I stayed for 14 days, and enjoyed it for the most part. Food was boring, but lots of it.. and I will bring my own condiments when I return this June. As a rum drinker, I did my best to help the economy, but was disappointed with the tameness of the rum. I have been advised to ask for doubles, so will correct that this year. During my stay, I attempted to use the Internet, but it was difficult to connect, and I wasted my hour trying.... ALSO don't try to mail any letters or cards. The Cuban mail service isn't like Canada. My wife received her birthday card three weeks AFTER I returned to Canada. Makes you appreciate your homeland! I enjoyed the pool, and the beach.... For some reason, I thought the Beach Bar Chef was named Oskar, and he always answered to it, so I was pleased to see that he was still there... The nightly entertainment last year was OK, but this year I am going to attend the fun every night. There were some concerns about cleanliness, but overall, I was happy enough to book eight days for this June. I recommend WestJet for your packages, always affordable and the flights are trouble-free. I stayed in E block, and hope to be there again!

Room Tip: If you have difficulties with stairs, ask the Reception to fix you up... they did for me. They do no...
  • Stayed July 2013, travelled with family
8 Thank Poppareg
herts
Reviewed 2 June 2014 via mobile

I must begrudgingly write this poor review as I wouldn't want another couple to make the same mistake as we did. I was dubious about staying here after reading so many bad reviews but we decided to give it the benefit of the doubt because there were a fair amount of positive reviews too. So here is my honest, frank opinion.
Breezes is tired. Very, very tired and dated. Reception staff were friendly and smiley enough. Other staff very hit or miss. Some looked at you like thunder where as others (majority to be fair) went out of their way to be warm and friendly. Our room was spacious and had a wonderful peaceful balcony with a beautiful view of the ocean. However. That is the only positive thing I can tell you. It was extremely dirty, rather shockingly so in the bathroom where I found many dark hairs (I am blonde and my husband is bald) not just on day one but every day thereafter. The shower curtain was mouldy and reeked of cheesy feet. As did the supposedly fresh and clean bedding and pillows. Due to the rain we had quite a bad leak in our room on arrival. We were assured the maid was on her way to clean the mess up. She never showed. We got quite nifty at mopping up our daily puddles from then onwards. The towels were very old and stained. The air con worked well but was incredibly noisy. The cupboard had some kind of animal droppings in it that I wish to forget. The fridge was stocked on arrival with soft drinks but never refilled. A new bottle of water each day would be such a welcome touch.
So the food. Oh the food. My husband and I are not at all fussy eaters but boy oh boy did we struggle to eat most of the crap here. Repetitive, overcooked, bland and cold were the main complaints. I could go on and on but I won't bore you. The coffee is dire in the buffet restaurant, if you want a drinkable fairly good cup you must go to the lobby bar or the coffee bar (great place, try the Jamaican) later in the day. The beach is stunning. Straight off of a postcard. Never a shortage of chairs and beds. Although you need to get up and out no later than 6am (really) if you want to secure yourselves one of the double beds. The beach grill in our opinion served the best food there, great well cooked beef burgers, hot dogs and pizza. The 2 a la carte restaurants had a really lovely ambience and atmosphere and attentive staff, though sadly we found the food was no better than the buffet. Tipping feels mandatory everywhere and in every situation, we felt uncomfortable if we didn't. The alcoholic beverage was highly disappointing, no brand names at all and even the rum (what they're best at!) was the cheap petrol kind, not even a havana club bottle to be seen!! The small plastic cups that the drinks are served in are annoying but really not so bad. Most people are just too lazy to pull themselves out of their sunbeds to get a refill, hence bringing along their own bubba cups. Which brings me on to my most important point about this resort. I wouldn't bother going here unless you are a) Canadian b) a repeat visitor. Because you will feel pretty darn uncomfortable unless you are. Make sure you get out and about and see as much as the real cuba as you can (especially Trinidad and Havana) as it is an incredibly awesome country. Don't panic if you've just booked to stay here. Judging by the previous positive reviews, our opinion is of the minority. Enjoy your stay.

• Stayed April 2014