“First time to Cuba expectations well surpassed” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of Breezes Varadero

Breezes Varadero
Ranked #19 of 63 Hotels in Varadero
Hamilton, Ontario, Canada
“First time to Cuba expectations well surpassed”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 July 2014

This was my first time to Cuba and I must say that my expectations were well surpassed. My other half and I were there in April 2014 during the Viva Italia month. We both travelled a lot in the Caribbean so going to Cuba we did not have any expectations at all but when we got there the warm welcome and staff there made our stay most enjoyable.
We travelled with Nolitours and stayed in the Nolitours building. Our rooms were right above the Disco although it was a little loud when the disco was on there was nothing major to complain about.
We did notice though there were a lot of people who complained about everything most of it we found a little comical for instance there was a beautiful peacock outside our building I saw comment on how the peacock was “not friendly” are you joking… that is not a petting zoo leave the animals alone
The food was most acceptable we always found something to eat at any time of the day or night; special shout out goes to Elizabetha in the main dining room what the woman does to pork is simply magical always delicious and to Ernesto and his late night sandwiches “oh men” there were simple sandwiches but were they ever good… perfect for a late night snack.
We found that no matter what else we were doing, in the afternoon we always visited Tanya to make us some of her amazing coffee. We would end up having like 4 or sometimes more coffee in the afternoon she always had a huge welcoming smile with a warm “hola mi amor” what can I make for you? And the Tanya specials are always amazing.
Major Major shout outs goes to the Bar staff at the lobby bar. We loved spending time chit chatting with the ladies there. They truly made our vacation wonderful. Special mention to Leyse and Magdianna and especially Mercedes loved spending time with you and all. The jokes truly were wonderful cannot wait to come back down and hang out with you all again. And not to forget Vivian and Maybel always a pleasure seeing you 2 brighten up the place with your infectious peppy personalities … air kisses everywhere.
The beach of course was immaculate and breathe taking. We spent more time at the beach than we normally do at any other Caribbean destinations. The grounds of the resort were very well maintained and beautiful. Our room was always made up to perfection. One more shout out was to our maid Nancy you are amazing. In all of our travels we have never encountered anyone who truly cared that much about our room to make sure our sleep was so comfortable and beautiful. It was always a pleasure to come back to our room after to lunch to see what towel sculpture Nancy has created. The day before her day off we found a little note on our bed that tomorrow was her day and apologize for not being there. That was truly amazing; Nancy my thanks to you for wanting to ensure that each part of our vacation was most comfortable. Thank you.
Don’t listen to the negative comments this resort and the staff truly did surpass our expectations and we cannot wait to go back again to see our new friends that we met there.

Room Tip: Bring a thermal mugs for drinks on the beach
  • Stayed April 2014, travelled as a couple
4 Thank Gabriel S

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (625)
  • Greek first
  • Polish first
canada
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 July 2014

Cuba never fales to shine.Weather was perfect for sun bathing, swimming.Advantage to the off season lack of crowds on the beach, opportunity to meet people one on one. Atmosphere layed back,for relaxing, exploring,solitude. The conversion rate from cdn to Cuban convertable pasos ranged from 84 to 86 dollar.Two alacart restraints, Italian,Cuban.Small bar within feet of the beach were you can get a Barbie.Tip the bar tender $1.00 Paso.Bar by the pool,hot tub.At night danceing.Bar in the lobby offers food.Room had its own mini fridge, complementary. leave a small $5.00 paso tip for housekeeping daily or small gifts.Tax leaving Cube $25.00 pesos,tours / gifts bring roughly $300.00 cdn.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled solo
3 Thank billCanada
Calgary
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 July 2014 via mobile

We went in 2008 for our honey moon. The staff was fantastic, every single one. The hotel, rooms, pool and grounds were very clean. We even got complimentary upgrade due to our honey moon and empty hotel. The rooms were a bit dated, but clean and spacious. Our jacuzzi did not work, however since the upgrade was complimentary we didn't say anything. We only had cold water but in that heat we didn't mind. The hotel was under going renovations the week we were there and about to close for a while due to them, so many things were unavailable such as hot tubs and water sports. Also was pretty empty because of this so the night club wasn't open late. It was a nice quiet week. Food was really not good at all, however I did not enjoy the food anywhere I'm Cuba, except Havana (Havana is must see, loved it!). The evening entertainment was decent. The beach was beautiful and clean. I would recommend this place for people who just want to relax by the beach or pool. For me, I found myself bored a lot of the time and personally would choose a different hotel if I were to return. However, I need to reiterate the staff was amazing and the hotel is very clean and well kept.

Stayed August 2013, travelled as a couple
4 Thank Yycgirl1
Montreal, Canada
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 14 July 2014

Went back to Breezes Varadero for the 6th time on June 27, 2014. It was their EXTREMELY slow season but had a good time nonetheless. Actually got to rest a bit this time around instead of just partying. Lol.
Some of the reasons I keep going back:
• the rooms are clean & spacious (a separate sitting area in most rooms)
• the beach is magnificent, clean with lots of chairs & umbrellas
• the grounds are very well maintained with lots of palm trees
• the a la carte restaurants, Martino's (Italian) and El Mojito (Cuban) are surprisingly good
• Carlos at the grill makes some great burgers, hot dogs & pizza
• the buffet had lots of choices for breakfast & lunch. Less variety this time for supper but, then again, you don't go to Cuba for the food
• the staff (waiters, bartenders, grounds keepers, chamber maids...) are very friendly & smiley
• the nightly shows are entertaining
• the entertainment staff, Yoel, Yassell, Yosvani & Antonio, are amazing! Probably the main reason I go back year after year
I have been to many different locations in the Caribbean. Cuba, with it's breathtaking beaches, and Breezes, with it's wonderful atmosphere, remain one of my favorites.

Room Tip: I prefer a higher floor so I can take advantage of the balcony
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled with friends
7 Thank xkblondie
Gatineau, Canada
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 July 2014

We stayed at this resort on the first week of June 2014, Now I've been to Varadero 10 times in the last 5 years and can honestly say that I love it there. I've only stayed at 3.5* and there are a few gems out there, Mercure Quatros Palmas, Villa Cuba and the Barlovento, This time around, I decided to try a higher * rating so we settled on the Breezes Varadero. This resort is a beautiful resort,, certainly deserving of it's 4* rating, well manicured gardens, great staff, friendly service and I'm sure the staff are up to the task during peak periods.....So here's where I start to tell you about my disapointment and it has nothing to do with the resort but more with the tour company, in this case Nolitour. We paid extra for the Nolitour plus package, concierge service, welcome bottle of rum, snack on arrival, beach towels in room, four a la carte bla bla bla.....well because of low period most of the hotel services were cut at least in half, there was no concierge, no express check in and one out of 4 a la carte restaurants were shut down. the Cuban and Italian restaurants shared the same location on seperate nights, this restaurant holds about 40 people so reservation was almost impossible to confirm, we managed one a la carte and lost out on the three others, there were several bars which were closed and sections of the hotel were also closed for renovations.

My point is this, if your going to advertise full service, you must provide what the client has paid for, so travellers beware, when you travel off season, make sure you get a deal because services are reduced and prices are not always adjusted. We didn't get a lot of what we paid for.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
7 Thank Travel_Guru6440
Toronto, Ontario, Canada
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 July 2014

This is the second time I have stayed at this resort. I found it to be clean and small. I would prefer Breezes for a few reasons...you can get around the whole resort in five minutes, you won't lose anyone in your party. People are super friendly. Beach is clean and close. The food is the same as most resorts in Cuba. It is mid-way on the strip!! Having stayed at at least 15 resorts there, I would place this resort in the top three for food, cleanliness, location and beach. If you go last minute, the rate is excellent. We paid under $640 from Toronto for a week. Note: Careful out walking on the road at night...they spray with DDT and there is nowhere to run, nowhere to hide!

• Stayed May 2014, travelled with friends
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
6 Thank Cari L
BVRA, Front Office Manager at Breezes Varadero, responded to this review, 11 July 2014
Dear guest:

It is a pleasure to write you and say thank you for your comments about the cleanliness and quality of our hotel services. Thank you very much for your valuable considerations that make our staff better every day. We hope you come back soon to enjoy our facilities with your friends and our great family.

Best Regards,

Office Manager
Hamilton
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 July 2014

This was our second trip to Varadero at the end of March. The rooms were spacious and clean, the air worked well, but the mattresses should be replaced. Upgrade to the suite.

The food was good with a fair variety in the buffet every meal. Carlos at the beach bbq always hit the spot. The grounds were well looked after.

The beach was gorgeous with quite a few chairs, although I am not sure why people think if they put a towel on the chairs, they reserve them for when they come 3 hours later. I do wish that it was a bit of as younger crowd at the hotel as a lot of things slow down in the late evening.

More people begging in town this time, and the Steam and Sugar excursion was a real eye opener to the real Cuba.

The people working in the resort were more than pleasant and always helpful.

I could go back to this resort again at the right price.

• Stayed March 2014, travelled as a couple
      Location
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
3 Thank Craigerp15
Dear customer:

Thank you very much for your reviews about room conditions, food, the staff, and other services in our Hotel. We are working hard to resolve soon the problem you mentioned, that we have in a few rooms.Thank you very much for valuable considerations that make our staff better every day. We would like you come back soon to enjoy our facilities with your family or friends.

Best Regards,

Office Manager
Also consider these accommodations in or near Varadero
Hodelpa Garden Suites
Colombus Hotel
Colombus Hotel
#7 of 8 in Oyster Pond
Barcelo Solymar Arenas Blancas Resort

Been to Breezes Varadero? Share your experiences!