“Great Family Vacation”

Hotel Tuxpan Varadero
Ranked #38 of 64 Hotels in Varadero
“Great Family Vacation”
Reviewed 30 April 2012

This was our first trip to Cuba and hopefully won't be our last. (once I forget how bad the food it, we'll definately go back).... We loved the people~ it was great to leave the resort and explore! Havana was amazing (Thanks Jorge and Alex)

We chose the Tuxpan for it's size, the price and the proximity to town. A nice thing about a small resort is that the guest seem to be alot friendlier ~ Friends of ours stayed in a 5* and came to our resort 2 nights to socialize...they said our place was fun and theirs was too stuffy :) LOL

Location: loved the location. Really enjoyed going into town in the evening and experiencing some of the local music.
Beach: Fantastic
Food: I knew ahead of time that the food could be iffy. So we brought salad dressing and ketchup with us. My main complaint about the food was the lack of variety. Also, part of the dinning room was closed and the line up for the buffet was a pain. I also didn't like that you had to "order" at the pool bar...I wasn't expecting that. A lunch buffet would have been more convenient.
Pool: The pool was nice and big and centrally located. It needs some repair....some of the plastic on the outside was breaking off and made it very dangerous getting in and out.
Rooms: Basic but clean. I knew about the hard beds prior to arriving, so I was expecting that. Thank goodness we had a mattress topper after a couple nights cause I don't know if my hip could have handled a whole week! The beds are like rocks.
Resort: I really liked the layout of the resort. Everything was compact .... We travelled with 11 people so we never had to go searching for them :)
Staff: Amazing!

Overall I would say that the resort met our expectations, having done alot of research and knowing ahead of time what to expect. If you're on a budget and want a inexpensive vacation, this is a fine choice. People who stayed here and hated it obviously didn't do their homework...I read many reviews and was not surprised by anything...Keep your mind open and enjoy the sunshine.

Room Tip: ask for 4th floor...even numbers to face the ocean / pool area
1 Thank hotinthemaritimes

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (318)
  • Czech first
  • Greek first
  • Hungarian first
  • Polish first
Nova Scotia
Reviewed 27 April 2012

We spent a wonderful 10 days at the Tuxpan and had a wonderful time. The staff is very accomodating and will help you in any way. This is a small resort where you can get to know the staff which makes it more personal. The food wasn't as bad as some of the reviews made it out to be. I agree there could be a bit more variety but there was always something to eat. Cuba is not known for its great food so if you go on vacation to eat stay home.
The rooms were cleaned everyday and yes the beds are hard. We did not bother to get a mattress topper and we actually slept very well, we usually wake up with sore backs at home. (I guess we have to get a firmer mattress at home lol) I want to thank our cleaning lady, Johanna :)
The beach is the best beach I have been to. I have been to Veradero 3 times, from 3 star resorts to 5 stars, and I can actually say this is the best resort and the best beach. The only complaint I have is that it was very hard to find shade at times. The pool was nice but the little shaded huts were always taken early in the morning with towels to save them. In 10 days we got a shaded hut once at the pool (had to get up at 6am to save it)
The entertainment was lacking but we didn't mind because we were in bed early most nights. Being out in the sun all day can really burn you out. In the evening if we got hungry we would go to the snack bar and they would make us awesome ham and cheese sandwiches.
Emelio and Johandra were amazing at the bar by the buffet, always smiling and accomodating. I must say most of the staff were awesome and would try and do anything to please you.
I love Cuba, the people are so friendly and feel very safe to go anywhere at anytime of day.
We will return to the Tuxpan. I now understand why they keep getting repeat customers :) Hope to see you next year or in 2014.

Room Tip: We had a room on the 4th floor facing the golf course and loved it. We would sit on our balcony and...
  • Stayed April 2012, travelled as a couple
4 Thank ChouChouNovaScotia
pennfield
Reviewed 25 April 2012

First of all I have to commend the staff,especially Jesus,Lea(Leacnet),Micheal,William,Antonio and Raisy....they and the rest of the staff are the greatest,We love and miss them all already!I cannot say enough about them wanting to meet every need that arose,we have stayed in much more expensive resorts and didn't receive the attention that we did here.
The food was good,better than expected after reading all the bad reviews about Cuban food in general.We never went hungry and actually gained a few pounds.only complaint was that their could have been a bit more of a variety at the buffet.The El Rancho a la carte was delicious.The pool restaurant also served very good pizza,fries,hot dogs and burgers.Here you could also buy a lobster dinner for 12cuc.
The room was kept very clean and the beds were hard until we got the mattress toppers but then everything was fine.Beautiful ocean views from both sides of the hotel.
The entertainment was a bit lacking but they did their best and was funny at times....
The beach and the sunsets are absolutely amazing!!!!!
Now one of the most important things to us that i haven't seen mentioned on here much is the very cheap prices for excursions,souvenirs,beer and liquor at the bars in town....We've been to the D.R and Jamaica and everything is much more expensive there...
Last but not least is safety,We both felt as safe as we would here in Canada walking around town both in the day as well as at night.Even on one occasion we walked back to the resort at 1 am just cause it was such a nice night and no one looked sideways at us let alone bothered us in any way.
We are already planning our next trip to the TUXPAN for New Years 2013,We also had the privilege to meet Wild Bill and we will be ringing in the new year with him this year and we can hardly wait....

"SEE YOU ALL IN DECEMBER"from your Canadian friends Corey & Jolene

P.S.If you can't tell from this review i highly recommend this resort if your looking for something small and personal:)

• Stayed April 2012, travelled as a couple
5 Thank kori755
Toronto
Reviewed 25 April 2012

Just back from 9 days at Tuxpan... This was the GF and my 3rd time, parents 2nd time and bro, sis and sis's bf's 1st time at Tuxpan.... Tuxpan did not disappoint

Tuxpan did not disappoint!

I will keep this short and sweet… It echoes my previous reviews of the Tux.

- Best part of the Varadero beach,
- Smaller resort,
- Food was the best it’s ever been (must be a new chef!),
- Hotel is 100% clean,
- Views are amazing from the 4th floor ocean side,
- Drinks were great,
- Staff were friendly and accommodating as always.
- Weren’t happy with our first room, and got moved to a beauty ocean view no problem.

There was 1 windy day towards the end of our trip, it was the first “red flag day” I’ve ever seen in Varadero (meaning you can’t go in the water due to high waves, riptides, etc) and to the right of Tux (in front of Bella Costa downward to the peak) their beach spots were pretty much washed away and people were venturing down to Tux part of the beach but security did a GREAT job keeping them off the Tuxpan chairs and space :) Watching those big waves crash on the beach was pretty cool also.

Tuxpan is known for repeat customers (those wearing Blue bands, as opposed to Green) where friendships are formed for future travel back to the Tux.

If you’re looking for gourmet food, pillow down mattresses and butler service you should spend the +$2k a person for that type of vacation and skip Cuba. Don’t spend less than $1k a person/week then complain about the bed being a little stiffer, the pillows not being feather filled and a couple of minor bumps and hiccups along the way… you should always expect these!

Will be returning to the Tux!

Room Tip: You want an even # room if you want to face the ocean and ask for a mattress topper when you check-i...
8 Thank XiLoveVegasX
Ottawa
Reviewed 23 April 2012

The people of Cuba are just awesome. At Tuxpan, we were greeted by Jesus, most helpful, played with the kids, made everyone feel welcome. Food was good and abundant, no complaints. Excellent times at the pool, with good snacks, excellent entertainment, even met their Canadian rep, Wild Bill. Our rooms were clean, the beds were quite hard, but we managed to get mattress toppers and slept good. Will definitely return.

Room Tip: Ask for a mattress topper, otherwise, all is quite fine and always improving
  • Stayed December 2011, travelled with family
2 Thank Marichette
Saint John, NB
Reviewed 20 April 2012

The Location: is excellent, midway down the Varadero pennsula. Cuba is beautiful and safe

The Food: Average, did not starve and did not need to take condiments. Excellent french fries, hotdogs etc at the pool bar

The Room: always cleaned properly. Very dated. Beds were like sleeping on a box spring. Had to beg for a mattress topper even though requested months before we arrived. Received after the 2nd night. Also requested king bed in advance but did not receive, Not a problem though as we pushed the beds together, Had to make sure we rinsed out travel mugs each evening as they attacted tiny ants.

Wild Bill: Was a definite high light to our trip. If you have the bonus of meeting Wild Bill he is a guest that that been staying at the propertly since the hotel opened. He is a wealth of knowledge for anyone looking for anything in Cuba.

Staff were second to none: From the Bellman that litterly ran to the lobby to get a new key when we checked in we had to slow him down he was in his 50's. Alvita the Sales Manager, Maurice the Juice Bar lady who also doubled as the hostess at the door, Mike, William at the pool bar. Danny at the pool restauran, who was always taking care of us as well as helping to line up a special trip to Hanvanna for us which was excellent. I could keep on, if you took the time to get the name of the staff member they went out of their way for you. Lia the little tourism student who was everywhere going above and beyond to make our experience a positive one,

Trip Advisor reviews helped us prepare for this trip. They were all accurate so if you go to this resort with no preconceived ideas you will enjoy yourself. You can exchange Cdn Funds to Cuban Convertible Pesos for a small percentage ie: $100 Cdn = $96.55 CCP. You can get a pedicure for $7 and a wonderful 1 hr relaxation massage for $35

6 Thank KallanSaintJohn_NB
Algonquin Provincial Park, Canada
Reviewed 19 April 2012

The food at the buffet was typical Cuba. However that being said there was always a few pleasant surprises every night. You will not go hungry. Snack bar at the pool served hot dogs hamburgers pizza ham and cheese samies and fries. As well beside that is the lunch BBQ that put out some amazing dishes.The section of the buffet that was closed due to repairs has been re-opened so no more line-ups.
The beach was second to none.
The pool was always clean and the swim up bar was a big hit in the afternoon.
Safe in the room is free and works with the room key.
A/C is inside the cealing not a window unit is dead quiet and worked great.
There is a fridge in every room.
Be warned there is a lot of stairs but that having been said my wife has trouble with stairs and said the hell with the stairs I want to come back.
Our room was perfect for us bottom floor with balcony. It was facing the front with grass and trees. I could watch the little lizards and birds during my morning cerveza on the balcony.Don't laugh me and my little friends had a deal we would say hi every morning and they would eat all the bugs.I never once seen a bug of any sort in the room including ants.The rooms facing the pool and ocean would see all the action but we liked ours.
It is reasonably close to town but it is a fair hike to the double decker bus.
Now comes the kicker.
The staff was the absolute best And I mean the best of the best.
Handshakes greetings chats smile were an every day happening.
If you approached a member of the staff that did not speak english they would either take you to a staff member that did or bring one to you. From the moment we walked through the door we were treated like long lost friends.Bearing in mind the hotel was full to capacity all week with buses coming and going day and night still things ran as smooth as I have ever seen. Maximum time in any line-up was five minutes most times two or none at all. Two days were extremely windy everyone worked their butts off to keep the grounds and pool clean.
To each and everyone of the staff at the Tuxpan I love you all.

Room Tip: facing the pool are more happening facing the front are more quiet
  • Stayed April 2012, travelled with friends