“Amazing staff, beautiful resort”

and 1 more site!
Hotel Tuxpan Varadero
Ranked #39 of 64 Hotels in Varadero
“Amazing staff, beautiful resort”
Reviewed 21 September 2012

My husband and I have been to the Tuxpan twice and both times have been treated amazingly by everyone at the hotel. I have never wrote a review but I really wonder what the people act like that say the staff are anything short of amazing!!!

We went the first time for our honeymoon and met staff at the resort that we now consider family, we did not know anyone at the resort our first trip and we met the most amazing staff I have encountered at any resort. When we went back for our anniversary our new family was so excited to see us and went out of there way to help us with anything we needed.

It amazes me that people say "repeat customers are treated better than first timers" we were always treated the same.

Yes the food is boring (but you will never go hungry and some things are very good) bring some spices and you will have no complaints.

The beds are a tad hard but ask for a topper (they come ASAP) the second time we went without a topper (by choice) and actually slept way better

Tip the maids and your towels and rooms are clean, even if u pass cleaning one day they will stop you in the hall to give you new bottled water.

We can not wait to go back in Nov as we miss out Cuba family dearly and will not vacation anywhere other than the Tuxpan. We have always made lifelong friends with other travelers as well.

Xoxo

• Stayed May 2012
9 Thank Tuxlove

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (318)
  • Czech first
  • Greek first
  • Hungarian first
  • Polish first
Toronto
Reviewed 18 September 2012

This trip was our 10 year anniversary, so we wanted it to be special. We researched it, read ALOT of reviews on here, and ultimately decided to give it a chance, although not ALL reviews were favorable. My hubby and I are NOT fussy people. We are average every day hard working people, who save up just live EVERYONE else. This is rated a 4 star by Sunwing. First of all, lets talk about Sunwing. This was booked online via Signature, and the price went up two hundred dollars and then down two hundred dollars, and then Sunwing cut the tax in half. Emails were sent to Sunwing AND Signature requesting reimbursement (as it was done HOURS after our booking) but we were told Tough luck. The ONLY good thing about our trip was that our room was Immediately available for check in when we reached the resort (at 11 am). The resort only had one elevator working and stuffed all the guests on One wing of two floors (floors 2 and 3) the other wing and the first and fourth floor did not even have lights on in the hallway, so if you stumbled there it was PITCH black at night. The "International drinks" they promote (margarita/daquiri) we were told the first day "the blender was broken" The only place you can get those drinks are the lobby bar. So, no blended drinks..Ok...that is ok....it was all inclusive, buffet had standard hours and you were able to book a la carte as well. We requested the a la carte immediately and were told the first available date was Saturday Sept 15, so we booked it. The staff in the buffet COMPLETELY ignore the guests, UNLESS you are a local, then you are greeted with kisses..etc... ANY restuarant I have EVER been to, whether a resort, or not, always has someone come over and fill your water, that is ALL we wanted was water. The bread was always stale, they put butter balls in water (and it was NOT butter, it was lard)...their "salad" was cabbage. We anticipated bland food, so we didnt even complain about this. "It is Cuba" was what we repeated to ourselves. We decided that the fresh fruit drinks advertised beside the pool bar were a great option, she is SUPPOSED to be there all day, but if she was there an HOUR in total a day, you were lucky, and you couldnt squeeze a smile from her. The pool tiles were FILTHY...Mold and bacteria was green all inside the tiles. The grates surrounding the pools were missing in SEVERAL areas, and SEVERAL people fell through them while getting into the pool. Also, you have to pay 15 pesos for each towel, and you get that returned once you return the towels (it doesnt say that you pay for them in the brochure). We spoke to Armando, the Sunwing rep, about possibly changing resorts, and the cost was almost DOUBLE what we originally paid. He advised that they are on low season, so only half the staff were present (Obviously they laid off the best staff). Towels in rooms..were NEVER changed...EVER.. how do I know this? When we arrived Monday I washed my face and my eyeliner ran onto the towel. Each day, my husband and I played a little game of "find the towel with the make up on it". And each day, we did. The housekeeping will distract you with pretty swans made from the towels, so dont be fooled....those are the same dirty towels, that cleaned up something NASTY. Ants..... There are literally HUNDREDS of them at any given time in your room. DO NOT BRING ANY FOOD BACK THAT MAY ATTRACT THEM. or you will have an unpleasant surprise. There are no clocks in the room, you will be challenged to locate a clock at all, and you may say, I am on vacation, why do I need a clock? But you do...trust me..
I think the hotel opened up reduced rates to locals the week we were there (white bracelets) they were given TOP notch service by the staff at all times. And i doubt they tip as well as Canadians do. The final night (Sunday Sept 16) we went to buffet dinner and were told the dining room was full...upon looking in, it was..with locals... we waited a half hour for a table. With no clock in the room, and our one and only watch breaking (bad luck with that one) we were concerned with our wake up call at 645 am. It never came. Also, the bus was due to arrive at 730, so we skipped breakfast to be on time, and it came at 810. The staff here is what make it horrible, they do not work the posted hours, you have no idea what is going on at the hotel at ANY given time, there are no signs (in spanish or english) so, the whole vacation is a blur. do your self a favor, pay a couple hundred more, and hit the Dominican or ANYWHERE else... Bad Bad Bad bad bad bad experience.

Room Tip: anywhere but this hotel : )
  • Stayed September 2012, travelled as a couple
25 Thank badsaubleexperience

Travellers are raving about these Varadero hotels

Whitchurch-Stouffville, Canada
Reviewed 16 September 2012

Our family of 4 stayed at the Tuxpan in February 2010.

It was clean, well maintained and efficiently run by friendly staff.

Cuba is NOT known for its food!! The Tuxpan offered a variety of foods, from which you could always find something that you liked.

We also ate at the "Specialty Reservations Only" on site restaurants; which offered better quality food.

The Tuxpan is a very reasonably (cheap!!) priced holiday destination for a family who wants to enjoy the sand, sun and surf.

We took the public bus to downtown Varadero and enjoyed a lovely afternoon of shopping (bartering/trading).

We also took an bus tour to Havana. The drive was scenic and the tour of Havana was amazing!!

I would highly recommend leaving the resort and visiting DT Varadero and Havana to better understand the country.

• Stayed February 2012, travelled with family
6 Thank Janet M
Budapest, Hungary
Reviewed 16 September 2012

We only stayed 1 night. We arrived in the late afternoon and had to leave for a while to repair the car. We arrived back at half past 7 and went to have a dinner. It was too late. When we entered we were seated to a big room where there was no air condition. We asked for another table and they were not too keen to provide that, although there were plenty of empty tables.There was barely nothing to choose from. Only the rest of other's dinner. The best meal was the bread and butter. When we entered there were some ice cream in the bar. When we finished with the bread the ice cream was gone. I asked a waiter to replace the empty holders, but he refused that, saying 'no more ice cream for today'. It was the middle of the opening time! When I sat back to the table asked for two Cokes. They provided one 'normal' and one plain coloured, supposing filled with water.
Returning to the room we wanted to use the shower-bath, but realised that it was not working... The internet was the most expensive we had in Cuba during our 2 weeks stay.
There are a lot of other places in the country where they know how to serve guests. Even much better in Casa Particulars. We had lobster every evening for the same 10 CUC as for any other foods. I cannot imagine what is the reason to stay in a hotel like this for a holiday!

• Stayed September 2012, travelled as a couple
7 Thank pirosinges
Miscouche, Canada
Reviewed 1 September 2012

We arrived from Charlettown direct which set the tune for an awesome trip. This was our first trip to Cuba and loved the fact that it was a direct flight from PEI. Upon arrival we were in a ground level room in which we decided to give it a try. The room was very clean and comfortable. We took our thirteen year old daughter with us on this trip. Unfortunatly having traveled a lot, hubby and I are used to making the best of things as our room was far from modern...our daughter on the other hand had quite a lot to say as this was not what she had pictured her tropical get away to be.
The staff were very friendly and helpfull, you could not have asked for more. The food was not very vast in selection however there was always something to eat. The drinks were quite strong as they did not put much mix in them. There were really no blended drinks here if that is what you are looking for...the coffee was excellent. All I really need is good coffee and I am a happy camper. The pool was maintained well and the beach area ...my...it was the nicest beach that I have ever been to.
While we were there we rented a jeep on a guided tour...that was a lot of fun and got to see some of the countryside. I would advise anyone going to Cuba to take extra cash as they do not have ATMs and to get money out you need to go to the Banco with your passport,

• Stayed March 2012, travelled with family
15 Thank Islandalleykat
Miami, Florida
Reviewed 31 August 2012

my kids had a blast,we enjoyed our stay at the Hotel however the room temperature wasn't good at all. A/C was not working properly and imagine how hot it was, uncomfortable to sleep. but other than that everything else was ok; loved having cocktails at any time, I liked the pastries called masa real....in the end we had a very good time @ Tuxpan!

Room Tip: stayed on 4th floor and A/C didn't work. the only negative issue during the stay there.
  • Stayed July 2012, travelled with family
5 Thank Jenn D
Ottawa
Reviewed 15 August 2012

The hotel was fine, not too noisy and everything worked very well.
The staff was polite and efficient and the maid kept the room spotless.

I would not hesitate to go back here, I enjoyed it very much.

• Stayed March 2012, travelled on business