“Fantastic small resort”

Ranked #38 of 63 Hotels in Varadero
Halifax, Canada
“Fantastic small resort”
Reviewed 11 April 2014

If you are looking for a clean, small resort, beautiful beaches and wonderful staff....this is it. We just returned from a week at the Tuxpan and enjoyed every moment of it. Everything is within 3 - 5 minutes away on the resort. Beach is easy to access and we did not have any large line ups for food or drinks that you would have at a larger resort.

Resort is an older resort but renovations and improvements are happening but not in an intrusive way. We slept well, i did bring my own pillow just in case but i didn't need to.

We were able to take the double decker bus into Varadero to see the town, have dinner out for a night. There are lots of restaurants there and a few clubs to dance if you like to do so. Very safe and the people are friendly and welcoming.

The staff are lovely, eager to chat and get to know you if you take a few moments to get to know them you will be happy that you did so.

We traveled with two adults and one 14 year old. Not alot of activities for small children but likely due to the size. We only saw two or three children under 10 years old.

There were lots of families and couples that were there on return trips....several we met that have been back to the Tuxpan more than 5 times.

We will be returning to the Tuxpan and would encourage our friends and family to go.

• Stayed April 2014, travelled with family
4 Thank Paula G
Lliliam, Gerente at Hotel Tuxpan Varadero, responded to this review, 14 April 2014
Thank you for your good comments, your opinion is very important for the Hotel, we hope to welcome you in your next holidays.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (321)
  • Czech first
  • Greek first
  • Hungarian first
  • Polish first
Stoney Creek, Canada
Reviewed 6 April 2014

Attached, is my E-mail to the General Manager of this Resort, which I have now enjoyed for 7 visits since 2007. These people are great, and I highly recommend this.

Hola Lliliam;

Well, I’m safely back home and almost all the snow has melted! I just wanted to thank both you, Yadita and Raisy once again for all of your kind efforts in obtaining my favourite Room for my entire 4 week stay at the Tuxpan. I had a wonderful time there, as always, and the warm weather sure cooperated with us during my visit, (only 3 or 4 partially cloudy/rainy days out of all 29 of them.) All of your staff on the Reception desk, Lobby & Pool Bars, room maids and in the Restaurants all welcomed me back and did all they could to help me and make me feel at home once again. I also enjoyed the fun afternoon activities around the poolside and the excellent nightly shows performed by your Entertainment staff. Please extend my thanks and gratitude to all of them for a job well done. I am missing your hotel already. See you again next year. Hope you all have a healthy and prosperous year ahead.

Room Tip: Top 4'th floor, facing the ocean, is and incredible view to wake up to every morning and to watc...
  • Stayed March 2014, travelled solo
2 Thank Don B
Lliliam, Gerente at Hotel Tuxpan Varadero, responded to this review, 8 April 2014
We really appreciate your good comments concerning the Hotel. We are very pleasent for your compliments to all our staff, we give them as a good congratulation. Thank you very much, we hope to see you soon
Westville, Canada
Reviewed 3 April 2014

If I could, I would live there. The staff is amazing. This was my 3rd time since last February and hoping to go again in May this year. Tuxpan is like home and the staff is family. The beach is beautiful the pool is very clean, food is very good and service is awesome. Entertainment and music all day, the entertainment at night is amazing. I'm hoping someday I'll be able to stay for 2 months.

See you all soon!!

• Stayed February 2014, travelled with friends
7 Thank Heidi S
Lliliam, Gerente at Hotel Tuxpan Varadero, responded to this review, 4 April 2014
Thank you for your comments, dont be sad you will be always welcome in our Resort, your opinion is very important.
Red Lake, Canada
Reviewed 1 April 2014

We travelled as a family of six and one other couple. Wh have travelled to three other areas in Cuba but never Varadero. We all loved this trip.

Hotel: definitely a small resort which is exactly what we wanted. My teenagers may have preferred a larger one with more kids their age but they managed here fine. There is not a lot of daytime entertainment but that is why you have a beach and pool as far as I am concerned. The rooms were clean, the only downside were the hard beds. I brought my own pillow which helped and people mentioned you could ask for a mattress topper. The hotel made a point of matching all of our requests. Room 206/207 were pool view which faces beach side with balconies. The ocean view rooms face the other side of the island where you view the ocean that is not the resort beach.

Staff: we found the staff to be friendly ; from wait staff to bartenders to grounds keepers. We look forward to seeing everyone again next year.

Food: best we had compared to any other part of cuba. I had warned my picky eater but she too ended up loving the food. The buffet was small but food was hot and yummy. The omelettes with Alex in the morning were always a hit,; bacon was hit or miss like any other part of Cuba, but there was always something delicious. The snack bar had fries on a few days as well as burgers ( sausage) and fish. There was also pizza, grill cheese and tuna sandwiches at the pool bar. You could also buy a delightful lobster lunch for $10 pesos at this bar. Banana ice cream was also a hit.

Beach: all you can say is spectacular....so vervet if everything else was horrid ( which it wasn't ) that alone was worth the stay. We snorkel led everyday straight off the beach. Kids found shells, puffer fish, sardines, barracudas, baby swordfish, and many other creatures. Not bad for no corral .
Town: it is a $7-10 can ride into vardero . We found varadero to be expensive compared to camaguey and holguin. Very touristy.

The exchange rate is $1.25 in their favour. The bank at the hotel is often open. There are a few a bank machines in varadero but they don't always work and cost a ton in service fees to withdraw. Remember, only visa and canadian bank cards.

We recommend Tuxpan if you enjoy a small and friendly atmosphere that isn't flashy .

Room Tip: The resort is small so there truly are no bad rooms. 206/207 face the pool and beach side of resort...
  • Stayed March 2014, travelled with family
5 Thank Kelly1995
Lliliam, Gerente at Hotel Tuxpan Varadero, responded to this review, 2 April 2014
Your opinion is very important for us. Thank you for your comments about the hotel, we will give your compliments to the staff. We invite you to come next year.
Moose Jaw
Reviewed 1 April 2014

My wife and I are back from our third visit to the Tuxpan. We were amazed at all the new improvements and renovations since last year, and the improvements are still continuing. We loved this resort on our first visit and love it more each time we stay there. I'm sure you won't find more friendly and helpful staff anywhere.The maids that clean the rooms do a super job. The grounds and the pools are cleaned daily.I want to give kudo's to the dining room staff and the cooks, who are all great. I don't wart to leave out Raisy, the PR girl, who was so helpful. Also the on-site Nurse, Thank you all.

Room Tip: Most rooms have been renovated
  • Stayed March 2014, travelled as a couple
5 Thank lockv2
Thank yuo for your good comments, will help to other people to deside to take our hotel as a good option for they holidays.
Peterborough, Canada
Reviewed 1 April 2014

My family had a great time at Tuxpan. What can we say about staff other than it felt like home. People were friendly and nice at the hotel, reception was alwys good, buffet was very good too, entertainment very good too. We enjoyed our meals and their hospitality. Our daughter was thrilled with the beach, snorkeling and the pool, she also found out that one of the waiters looked like ZORO (her favourite moovie). We always had nice conversations with all of the employees, gardiners included. To bad that we don`t speek spanish. Anyway, we spent two week`s in Varadero, walked through the beach to downtown, took coco taxi, bus and regular taxi and everything went well. Our safari excursion was excellent and recommended.
Would we come back to Varadero ? YES. Tuxpan ? Yes.
We would like to thank again everyone at Tuxpan for their true hospitality. Hope to see you in the future.
Snezana,Slobodan and Ana.

Room Tip: Last floor facing the sea.
  • Stayed August 2013, travelled with family
2 Thank Happy20132014
Lliliam, Gerente at Hotel Tuxpan Varadero, responded to this review, 3 April 2014
Thank you for your good comments about the hotel, on the name of our staff we invite you to come back to the hotel next year.
Delta bc
Reviewed 30 March 2014

Let me start by saying, Do not always listen to what you read about negativity... This is our 7th time in Varadero, And our first time staying at this hotel... It was amazing, better then the other hotel we have stayed at.. The staff were amazing, The food was amazing and the Night shows were great. We do not have 1 complaint...................They had a lot of beach and pool chairs that we never had to worry about getting one.. The swim up bar was great. The pool and the grounds were always kept clean.. Never seen any garbage laying around...People say the food is terrible, This was the best food we had had and a variety ( keep in mind it is Cuba, A lot of rice, Pork etc)

This hotel had a variety of ages from young families to older individuals, We found it was quiet and not a lot of partying and people being very loud........... WOULD RECOMMEND THIS HOTEL TO ANYONE...
We packed our airmatress again and spent 3 full days floating in the ocean.

If this is your first time, Here are a few things to remember to bring
** Bring a travel mug for all your beverages
** Air mattress to float on
** Lots of sunscreen
** bring your own towel, You can get them at hotel, but if they get stolen you have to pay.
** If you have smaller children, bring some sand toys
** We always bring a lot of gifts to give away, like clothes, candy, things for children and adults. We left our maid something new everyday on the pillow each morning.

The one thing that I have to warn about is all the years we have spent in Varadero we have never heard of anything tragic happening, This year ( NOT AT OUR HOTEL) but when the ocean flag says RED FLAG, Please stay out of the water.. It is red flagged for a reason. My heart goes out to the 2 families that lost a loved one.

Room Tip: We stayed on the 2nd floor which was great, Facing the pool and ocean. We requested a pillow topper...
  • Stayed March 2014, travelled with family
5 Thank Tammy P
Lliliam, Gerente at Hotel Tuxpan Varadero, responded to this review, 1 April 2014
Thank you very much for your opinion, its very important for us and for other future guest to deside our Hotel for they beautifull holidays. We invite you to visit us next year again