“Im Returning next year!”

Hotel Tuxpan Varadero
Ranked #40 of 64 Hotels in Varadero
Reviewed 26 June 2014

Loved every minute of it!

The staff are amazing and helpful in every way. We will be returning again in June. It was nice and quiet and didn't have to wait for anything. No line ups and tiki huts every time I went to the beach. Another guest kept saying its so much better when there's lots of people. I preferred the one on one service.
Snorkeling was great! Remember to bring your own flippers, snorkel and goggles. Flippers are helpful to get out to the coral. You can see it from the beach just have to get out there. Went on the Catamaran excursion, 5 star!!!!! don't miss it! The fish and coral is better out there and the island lunch and swim was to die for. Don't forget about the dancing and the hermit crab races on the island. Went to see the 500 year old cactus tree (don't waste your time) Long hot walk for a picture. The pool at the hotel was dirty(no chemicals to stop the algae) but who wants to swim in a pool when you have one of the most beautiful beaches anywhere! The chemicals arrived on our last day and the pool was cleaning up nicely. The only reason I would have went in the pool was to sit at the pool bar..so not a big deal for me.
We went to the Tuxpan with the attitude if any thing wasn't perfect we weren't going to let it ruin our vacation. We enjoyed our self's immensely and are planning our return again in June.

Cabs were pretty good if you negotiated the price before you get in. Typically 6 to 7 pesos to the city of Varadero 2 to 3 to the bus stop if your tired of walking. Be aware there are hustlers at the bus stop at the America mall. They will give you a sob story that they are broke and hungry and they don't get paid much. Every time we went by there he was sitting there asking people for money (he even forgot us, from the day before)
The beds were a little hard but after a few drinks you didn't feel them much anyway. :)

Room Tip: Pool side for sure! Music stops early and was no bother. The reviews of it being loud must have bee...
6  Thank Rick Y
Lliliam, Gerente at Hotel Tuxpan Varadero, responded to this reviewResponded 27 June 2014

Thank you for take time to give your good experience about the hotel and the staff, I will give them your compliments. Thank you for choice our Hotel for your next holidays. We feel sorry that during your stay the pool not received the maintenance corresponded, due to a lot of rain, right now the pool water is optimal for the services.

Write a ReviewReviews (1,917)

Reviewed 24 June 2014

The resort looks amazing, there is a lot of vegetation, there are 2 pools but only one was open and the other was green, this disappointed us because it just looked bad (this one being the one with the bar inside) The food was ok but absolutely no variety to choose from, same stuff every morning day and night. This leads me to the restaurant (the only one opened out of three) it just feels like the 90's ... there is no air to breathe, it is in closed space and it all smell like food and this sometimes makes you fell sick, there is no music as well , you just listen to the dishes hitting each other... I must say that the reason for the closed pool and 2 restaurants and small variety of food in the third is the lack of customers, june being a low season for them, so I cannot judge them too harsh for this minus.
There are 3 bars where you can drink, one inside the hotel where you cannot smoke, one at the pool where everyone gathers mostly and one at the beach with an amazing view at the sea. The pool and sea bars also serve sandwiches all day long. The pool bar has pizza and pasta at lunch time. The drinks are very good everywhere , the only disappointment way that they did not have mint in all my stay there... I mean its CUBA !!! and also no lime to go with the fish ... which they served everyday and was very good...but one needs lime when eating fish. There is a great terrace under the trees where everyone would sit at night and drink, it has a Paris feeling to it, but all the tables and chairs are gluey/sticky, I don't know why, maybe because of the trees or the humidity... too bad!
The entertainment was actually nice , great dancers, a little silly show from time to time but its nice, the only problem being that its way too short !! 1 hour per day , thats it ! from 9:30 PM to 10:30 PM sharp ! after that even the music closes. I mean in the day time there is no music anywhere, just a TV in the pool bar where people watch I don't care what ... but I can accept that, but in the night time I want to dance, move a little bit. They have a disco which is closed, because the lack of customers, no problem, but let us have a good time in the night after the show...at one point we were all dancing because of the good music and they stopped it, at 11 PM and I spoke with them and they said that people are maybe sleeping.... I mean really !!! ???
The beach is very nice, they have big umbrellas, the water is just amazing, very clear and warm and sandy . (note for snorkeling lovers : only sand ! )
Varadero is very calm and clean and no place for party people. The center is just an area where you can buy souvenirs.
There is no wi-fi at this hotel although they have a dial-up computer which is very slow and costs 5 CUC / 30 min . There are some hotels in Varadero that have very good speed wifi . This hotel should also implement it because many travelers are looking to keep in touch with family or work.
Transportation ( only taxi ) is very expensive as is everything in cuba ! , it costs around 2,3 CUC per km. Many times its more expensive than Europe. Renting a car is between 60 to 100 CUC, again, more expensive than Europe.
The people are mostly friendly but if you give tips. There was actually one guy at the piano bar which I was tipping every time, I went in one morning , he was sitting in the bar, I asked for a coffee and he said no because the bar opens in 10 min ... this got me angry.
At the pool area there is one very nice guy making fresh juice .... amazing drinks served cold !
There is an exchange in the reception with a fair rate. Also at the reception , if you are a cigar enthusiast, there is a cigar shop, but quite expensive, almost like in Europe. The best cigar prices you will find in Havana in Partagas Casa del Habano.
I gave a 4/5 rating because I had a good time in the short entertainment hour, the great room view, the very relaxing pool area with all the vegetation, the very nice sea side, the good drinks and because I returned relaxed. But still I pointed out their bad points....They have all they need to make it a 5 star rating....they just need to fix some things, small for them, big for us.

Room Tip: 3rd and 4th pool side floors have a great sea+resort view. It should cost at the reception an extra...
  • Stayed: June 2014, travelled as a couple

Thank you for your comments in the Trip Advisor, w We regret that the pool submit a maintenance problem during your stay, the constant rains did not allow maintenance, and for a week is optimal for the enjoyment of customers. We invite you to visit us once again.

Reviewed 22 June 2014

It's like a paradox: on one hand it's very clean on the other hand the green pool is sore to the eyes!
Very hard working people in most of the resort but...ignored by the swimming pool bar guys at 6.30 AM before our bus arrived.
Clean room but...the bottom sheet was short and we could see the matress cover.In order not to use gross language I will just say that it reminded me of an old fashion baby diaper!-why would anyone use such a dirty cover?-It was hard to be in bed without thinking about the dirt underneath the sheet.
Beautiful grounds!
The computers in the internet room don't have the "@: key.You must press "Alt" and hold it while writing the numbers 64.that's how you will get "@". However there is no sign giving this instruction.
When I asked the security lady in the lobby about Lliam, the person who comments on the reviews here, she said there is no one there by that name!

Room Tip: Rooms facing the pool are noisy because of the entertainment.
2  Thank crazy4yeshua
Lliliam, Gerente at Hotel Tuxpan Varadero, responded to this reviewResponded 26 June 2014

We regret that the incident with the keyboard internet machine has not been resolved at the time, we have already improved and provided to all customers who use this service. The deputy director of the Hotel is called Lliliam Ruiz and Iam responding to all trip advisor Mail

Reviewed 18 June 2014

well I was very un happy with this resort / the pool was green the hole time I was there . the food tasted ok there was not much to choose from pizza was great drinks are great hotel was clean
. very boring if you want to party none of that there
its a very quite place. staff great mangament not so much wont go back there

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled with family
Lliliam, Gerente at Hotel Tuxpan Varadero, responded to this reviewResponded 22 June 2014

Thanks for your feedback, your feedback helps us to continue working on service improvements and satisfy our customers during their vacation. We would be happy to return again to enjoy many other things we have for you.
Sorry we did not appreciate other's strengths Hotel, as the image, cleanliness, its gardens and the friendliness of its employees which are the highest indicators that give us our customers.
Our offer is varied, fresh, we offer 24 hours of food and beverages, we have 3 restaurants, 1 buffet and 2 a la carte, 6 Bars, 2 Snack Bar with light meal, where guests can choose to eat. Our pool was we presented problems difficult to resolve at that point in time when you were here, but we're already solving was a shame to coincide your trip.

Reviewed 17 June 2014

This being my 7th time going to Cuba... and always stayed at the same hotel.. but this year I decided to change and so happy I did. My sister, a friend and I all stayed here at the Tuxpan and enjoyed every minute, We always went to the Breezes Belle Costa which is right next door because the beach was always the nicest. We were very happy with this hotel.. its not very big.. but just perfect for a nice relaxed vacation.

The Pool - Very nice, not alot spent time in the pool,this has a swim up bar and the bartenders are so sweet,, they are always smiling and so willing to chat and get you your fav drink. Had loads of fun around the bar, and met some really nice ppl. There is another pool for kids that is very nice and all kept very clean.

The Beach - Since I have been coming to this part of the beach for years.. as always beautiful.. altho there were a few days we could not go there due to the jelly fish and OMG they were huge.... but was no big deal for us.. as we enjoyed the pool just as much. The beach is always nice and clean and again everyone so friendly.

The Food - As anyone who has been to Cuba.. the food depends on your taste... and the food at the Tuxpan is delicious..altho not big choices like we got at the Belle Costa... what we did have was delicious.... every day was some sort of Chicken, Turkey, Pork cooked and lots of veggies,, salads.... the desserts I don't care for.. seems every one of them taste the same... but when I really wanted sweet,, I stuck to the ice cream. NOTE,,, we never got to the La Carte.. was always booked when we went to see if we could get in,,, so try and book those the day you get there....

The Bars - If you are going to this place to party,,, well.... after 11 at nite, this place was dead... so I would suggest if you are a younger group and want to party,, not alot going on here... we did have great times with other ppl we met with and enjoyed drinks on the deck but by midnight and after all day in the sun.. we were pretty much ready for bed.

The fruit bar was the place we sat at most of the day,,,, the bartender is a sweetie and we always tipped him and left gifts for his kids. I can't say anything negative about the bars at all.. altho I don't spend alot of time there.. but everything from my point was great.

There is a bar in the middle of the beach and the pool.. u can get fries.. (not like our Canadian fires) and pizza or sandwiches.... so you will never go hungry

The Shows - Again being to Cuba a few times.. those shows do get boring.. I went to one and that was it.... but if you are there for your first time,, I am sure you will enjoy.

Hotel - very clean.. friendly staff.. Rooms were nice and kept clean.

Overall again we had a great time.. and will go back to this place.. can't wait for next year... you won't go wrong with a trip to the Tuxpan. ENJOY

Room Tip: get something overlooking the ocean,,,, if you want quiet getting a room close to pool can have you...
  • Stayed: April 2014, travelled with friends
5  Thank katieknox

Thanks for your feedback, we are pleased that you enjoyed our hotel and feel at home, your feedback helps us to continue working on service improvements and satisfy our customers during their vacation. We would be happy to visit us again on your next vacation.

Reviewed 12 June 2014

My husband and I just wanted to have a relaxing vacation - visited the Tuxpan from May 31st until June 7th.

I had wanted to visit this resort for sometime because of good comments written during the busy season. I heard they had some problems with the pool so I emailed the resort to find out if the pool was now fixed and they said yes.

Upon our arrival, reception asked what we would like to drink and called the bar for us.

We got to our room on the 4th floor (corner unit) had some nice little gifts waiting for us.

I’m not going to go into lots of details, my husband and I will return to this resort but maybe next time try it during busy season. The employees make this place, it’s the first resort we go to that you can feel they are truly a family. We even had waiters refusing our tips and getting mad at us for getting up to get our drinks.

The beach is amazing.

The 2 a la carte restaurants are very good and we even went a few times to the International one. The coffee bar next to this restaurant is really good.

Entertainment…yes it’s all the same everywhere but what we appreciated was even when only 20 people where there they did the show anyways. In January we went to a resort in the Dominican and if 20 people did not go they cancelled the show, so they cancelled 5 out of 7 shows but NOT AT THE TUXPAN.

At the pool bar restaurant, Danilo, Elianne and Alfredo are just amazing and Yandy at the coffee bar.

Now for a few things they need to improve but again is it because we went during low season?

The buffet they need less desserts and more food options, we did not enjoy the buffet but if we got hungry we went to the pool bar and could get ham & cheese sandwiches and at lunch they also had pizza, hot dogs. Lets not forget this is Cuba.

We arrived on a Saturday and by the Thursday the pool was green, they need to use more chemicals during the big heat in the summer. So off to the beach we went.

I would also recommend more lights be installed near the bathroom by the stage, I would not go to the bathroom alone at night.

We will go back because the resort is nice, bed in the room was comfy we had good water pressure in the shower, our room was always cleaned, our battery needed to be changed for our safe and they said they would come at 10:00 and they arrived at 10:10 at some resorts you could wait hours but not at the Tuxpan.

We made friends and overall the staff at this resort is amazing. And I strongly believe because it was low season this is why we did have a small food choice.

Room Tip: Corner suites are large and sunny!!
3  Thank Claudine T

Reviewed 11 June 2014

My vacations and where I can relax, and enjoy the peace and the wonderful beach and pool. Each time that I have at least a week during my busy and stressful work, I fly to Varadero, and go to what i call " my second home". The Tuxpan Hotel. And why I always go there?. I will tell you, right now in few words.
First at all, the most important asset of this Hotel, is the staff.Where ever you go, to any department, you will get the most professional and helpful attention, for anything you need, they will do their best to accomplish your desires. Second, the pool, it's the biggest in Varadero, well and professionally maintained, very clean. The same you will find in the rooms, four floors, facing the pool/ocean and the south facing the city of Cardenas.
One pool bar/restaurant, one ocean bar, two buffets restaurants and one a la Carte, I heard that they plan to open a Disco/night club called The Bamba,and We enjoyed every day the Piano Bar.
I shot several photos that I will share with you.
Some changes that we noticed: they replaced all the mattresses, and upgraded several areas, including the pool area.
For the price and services, location, cleanliness and good quality food, you won't find any place better than this. It's not an advertising, it's only a way to recognize and reward the people who works in this place. Thanks to every one who made our stays in this place an unforgotten vacations.
Now, my wife told me several times "Why we don't try another hotel, who knows?", and I tell her,
" Just forget it, I wont risk a week or a day to find another place, if I feel like I'm in my home", No way Jose, We have all that we need.
We have been visiting this hotel for the last 2 years, also, we got married there, Mrs Rayci is the person responsible for Customer Services, and she handled every thing, very good price and a lot of extras, very helpful in all aspects.
We took a Tour Bus, and visited a new place in Varadero, it's no open yet, it's a marina which can receive 1,600 boats, a big place with internationals restaurants and apartments.
This hotel is rated Four Stars, but, I want to say that if there is a "Ten Stars" Hotel, good, but I;ll continue to go to THE TUXPAN HOTEL in Varadero

Room Tip: To the Newlyweds, make your reservations at the 4 floor, room facing south ( Cardenas) To whom like...
  • Stayed: November 2013, travelled as a couple